Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
KarlHungus

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This brew pours an opague dark brown color. The head is large and white. The aroma is of caramel with coriander and yeast. Very, very, sweet smelling. The taste is of caramel with coriander bursting through. There is also a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is extraordinary. It is medium-full bodied, but gives the impression of being lighter than it is. Overall, this is a great beer. Perhaps, the best wee heavy I have ever had.

11-21-2005 23:16:35 | More by KarlHungus
becktone

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer appears to be a dark brownish red color. When held up to the light one can see that it is a clear dark brew. Holding it up to the light really brings out the red color in this beer. When poured no head formed on this beer. When agitated a very thin lacing around the edge of the glass forms. If this beer had a head it would definitely have a much better appearance.

This beer has an overall malty aroma to it. I don't detect any aroma of a hop presence. I can't quite put a finger on the exact smell of the brew, but it reminds me of Chimay Red. These two beers have a similar aroma.

The taste relfects the aroma. At first I tasted a bitterness as soon as the beer hit my lips. This, however, soon becomes sweeter and reflects the aroma of the beer. The smell that I can't identify is easily noticed in the taste of this beer as well. I also notice that the taste of this beer doesn't linger that long in the mouth. The taste of this beer leaves the mouth just as quickly as the beer does when swallowed. There is not much lingering aftertaste in this beer. The onlly thing that does linger is the flavor of roasted malt, which at first I didn't notice. I like the taste of this beer, but I don't think that it is really anything to brag about. I think it's definitely better than average, and I do like it. Basically I think it tastes good.

I was a little dissapointed with the mouthfeel of this beer. It goes down entirely too easy and in my opinion is too light on the palate. It feels almost like water on the palate and has little to no carbonation. This is definitely not what I would look for in a beer. I think that I'll have to say this beer tasted good but didin't live up to the other expectations I had for it. I probably won't buy it again because I don't think it is worth what I paid for it. I mean I like it but there are other brews that I like a lot more. I think that I'm perhaps just not a fan of this style.

11-20-2005 22:57:36 | More by becktone
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Quality: Marvellous scotch ale, pronounced woody, well-balanced not dominant in bitterness or sweetness, chocolate malt, toffee,barley, spice, smoke. Rich, well-carbonated. Medium mouthfeel, not overwhelming in spicyness, but its there: corriander, orange peel, and a drop of cinammon, pepper and cloves.

11-17-2005 03:47:59 | More by Sammy
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Wow, a lot of flavor in this one. A big-time caramel, malt, and molassas nose with a little smokiness and nutty character. A little stout-like in aroma--only sweeter and more complex. A dark brown-black opaque with a thick tan head that laced with every sip. Flavors are deeply malty with a molassas flavor and texture. Lots of caramel, liquorice, walnut, and a root-beer like sweetness and spiciness. The corriander, though, never really comes into play over the big malts. Mild alcohol flavor and warmth until the end when it grows in harshness. Body is thick, rich and creamy--quite cling-ey. Finishes sweet and a bit drier than expected.

11-03-2005 20:34:27 | More by BEERchitect
numenor1

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into my Unibroue glass. Pours a deep brown with red edges and glows ruby red when backlit. Head is moderate and sticky, eventually reducing to a collar. Smells terrific, loads upon loads of malt, caramel, molasses, fruits and is oddly similar to triple imperiale. Upfront the taste is sweet toffee and caramel, then it widens taking out a very full, deep caramelized fruit characteristic and finally dries out with coriander becoming quite evident. There's plums, raisins and perhaps a touch of smoke. As it warms, peaches and apples emerge, and the spice shies away a bit--both on the nose and the tongue. The finish lingers for an age. Hopping is mild and the malt complexity is devastating. Definite barleywine characteristics, as well as similarities to some belgian dark ales, somehow this seems to be accomplished through the coriander...Carbonation is low medium and body is relatively full, creates a thick creamy texture through the mouth. Drinkability is sky high but i refuse to do more than sip. Afterall this did cost 5.99, and is damn good so it needs to last a bit. Almost a 5 in taste, but i try to reserve those. Superb.

10-29-2005 03:43:21 | More by numenor1
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

330ml bottle

Pours with a viscous deep dark brown body, some hints of ruby in there too, creamy tan head with great retention

Smell, strong warming esters on the nose, a light hint of smoke in there mulling around in the background. Little bit of oak too

Taste, thick and creamy roasted malt, some nice esters too. Some lasting bitterness on the finish

An amazing ale, even better than traquair house ale

09-30-2005 22:52:37 | More by cypressbob
jhu1995

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a deep brown, almost black color with minimal head that dissipated rapidly. Smell was okay, mostly caramel with some spiciness. The taste was mostly caramel, very malty and earthy, with some spice flavor on the finish. Very pleasing on the mouth, nice and rich. Definitely worth a purchase if you can find it. Bottle had a best before 2014 date, so I am going to age a second bottle to see how it develops.

09-17-2005 03:25:25 | More by jhu1995
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours an opaque dark brown, to dark amber color. It is topped by a wispy brown head that is barely there. The aroma is a mix of earthy spice notes and rich concentrated fruit notes. I get aromatic notes of fig, prunes, dried cranberries, raisins, coriander, and cherry liquor. The aroma is quite nice and rich, and quite intrigueing, I am definitely spending quite a bit of time just smelling the wonderful aroma on this beer. The beer is only lightly sweet, but still finishes with the rich fruity notes that were found in the nose. The finish also has that earthy spice note of coriander. The taste does not quite live up to the wonderful aroma, but it is still quite satisfying. I get notes of prunes, raisins, and figs. This beer is quite good, though I would certainly wish that the flavor was as rich and intrigueing as the aroma.

09-16-2005 05:06:54 | More by Gueuzedude
kwakwhore

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a dark brown with red accents, medium head. fruits and caramel in the aroma. Mouthfeel is soft and pleasant. The flavor is what is so amazing and unique about this beer, certainly unlike any other Scottish ale or any other beer I've tasted. three or four different flavors, something of licorice and dark coffee or chocolate, fruit and something that tastes like jasmine or lavender smells. It must be the coriander, I guess. The flavors all sort of explode on the taste buds and are long lasting. I've always loved strong scottish ales, but this goes to an entirely new dimension. Bottle was a present but I know where to get more and will as soon as I can get there. Thank god the NC legislature had the sense to finally to let us buy high alcohol beers.

09-16-2005 00:49:15 | More by kwakwhore
Sephiroth

Indiana

Best before June of 2011: This is a tough review to write, as I am unfamiliar with the flavor of coriander. The color is dark brown, with an inch of head. No bottle conditioning is present. The nose is of spices, maybe nutmeg (and coriander?).

The taste is smooth and malty. The fruit flavors seem dark at the tip of my tongue, but as the beer coats my palate, I get apples, light cherries, and peaches at the finish. This is pleasantly unexpected. As the beer warms, I am starting to detect the Scotch Ale beneath all the fruit and spices. The caramel malt is sprouting.

The mouthfeel is lighter than I expected, but good for a Wee Heavy. The drinkability is good for a spiced beer. Since the label says to drink it before 2011, I simply must age a few until then.

09-05-2005 08:07:25 | More by Sephiroth
hyuga

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Deep brown-mahogany with an off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, but it's a good looking beer all the same.

Very interesting and unique aroma! Sweet fruits dominate, summer peaches and apples. Spicy background from the coriander. Hints of caramel and maybe bourbon.

Starts off tart and sweetens in the middle. Great malt profile with what I'll describe as a peach gummi ring flavor. This also sticks in the aftertaste with some subtle floral hops. Candyish apple and maybe even some pear. Kind of like an alcohol-soaked, caramel coated fruit basket. Dried peaches dominate the finish.

Smooth and a bit chewy and certainly creamy. This has a lighter body for a scotch ale, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.

Wow, I'm amazed. This is superb. I think I like this one even better than the regular Traquair House Ale. I love coriander so I figured I'd like this a lot, but I had no idea it would be this good. A very interesting and unique scotch ale. If you see this, give it a try. It's worth the hefty price. This may become one of my very favorite beers.

09-05-2005 02:33:40 | More by hyuga
Pegasus

Appearance: Medium reddish brown in color, with a small off-white head, scattered patchy lacing, and small streams of fine carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet molasses and brown sugar dominate the aroma, with caramel and spices as well.

Taste: Sweet spicy notes of coriander and molasses throughout, with a mild medicinal note at the finish, which cuts the sweetness quite nicely. The finish is somewhat dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, with slightly aggressive carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A quite nice example of the style, it bespeakes quality. An expensive beer, but worth it. Many thanks to HardTarget for sharing this.

08-30-2005 02:16:53 | More by Pegasus
pentathlete

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark stained mahogany with a 1/2 inch tan head that falls fairly quickly. Spicy malty nose, large in the senses, very inviting. Taste starts like a scotch ale and then the spicy coriander sends it off into a new direction. Superb blend of spices, malt, with hints of fruit and zest. Tasty. Mouthfeel is medium as is the finish. Oh so drinkable. 8%? I can't tell. If the ABV gets to me, then I find I can't spel well. Excellant.

$5.99 for a 12 oz bottle at OUAV in Richmond, VA.

08-26-2005 23:46:03 | More by pentathlete
drunkmonk

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

33ml ($5.99) deep mahagony almost purple color. thin head that disapates rapidly. fruity esters in nose,( dates, plums, and rasberries). fruit up front with caramel and malt backbone, with a warming ethanol finish. much thinner on the mouth than I would have expected. great beer.

08-26-2005 02:49:12 | More by drunkmonk
UncleFlip

Alabama

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours intot he glass with a nice deep mahogany colour, ringed by a cola/orange edge. The head seems to have two levels- a pale tight top, and a looser, darker bottom.

Smell is VERY nice- full of hops, brown sugar, and a hint of spice and banana.

The flavour has acola overtones, wiht an element of coffee. It reminds me a bit of Kvas, or at least, the mass-produced non-alcoholic Kvas. It's pleasantly tangy- then a little smoky at the end.

Mouthfeel is just a bit watery at first, then a bit grainy at the end...but overall very smooth.

Maybe not my first choice, but this stuff is very tasty, and very drinkable. Could I get it in Alabama, and were it just a tad less expensive, I might have this one regularly. (I think I paid $8 for a 12 oz bottle.)

Be well
-UF

08-10-2005 05:03:18 | More by UncleFlip
BillyB

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Paid $5.49 for an 11.2 oz bottle.

Gorgeous appearance. Ruby red almost purple when the sun hits it. Slight carbonation and minimal tannish beige head.

Smell Chocolate, burnt cherries.

Taste and mouthfeel is suprisingly light and pleasant. Not overwhelming at all. Again taste chocolate, burnt cherries, and spices. The spicyness and the alcohol have a slight warming effect on your throat. The alcohol taste, although subtle, can sneek up on you.

I expected this beer to be a lot more intense but it was very drinkable and pleasant with a pretty strong kick in the end.

08-01-2005 19:00:24 | More by BillyB
BuckSpin

Maine

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to Ron at Vintage Estates in Boardman, OH for getting this and House Ale per my request.

In a thistle glass, the hue is a deep, rubyesque murky mahoghany bronze with mild carbonination. Head was disapointing - a 1/4" crown of very active mixed almond hued foam that faded really fast with almost no lace. Nose was crisp with corriander, orange peel and mild pepper.

This is interesting. Its crisp, and the corriander is very prevelent, a nice presence at that. Tastes of black pepper and clove crackle on my tongue over a noticably roasted malt base. The sharpness of the spices slowly fade on the pallete, with the throat finish rich, deep, lightly bitter with a slight filmy aftertaste.

I like Scotch Ales, I like Witbiers. So this is just wonderful. If there is any such thing as a summer Scotch Ale, this is it. A wonderful interpretation of the genre and a great beer. I recommend this highly.

07-03-2005 02:55:43 | More by BuckSpin
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Murky dark chocolate brown that straddles the line between opaque and not opaque. With bright morning sunshine streaming through the glass, I'm just able to see streaks of dark crimson within the beer and fiery red-orange accents at the edges. The toast brown head is small to start and is a barely covering film within minutes. I'm not anticipating much lace, but the color of the beer is more than adequate compensation.

The wonderful Scotch ale nose doesn't lack any of the essential elements of the style. Brown sugar, light molasses, a little peat and a pinch of coriander. The more I smell, the more phenolic, Scotch whisky-like aromas I pick up.

Jacobite tastes exactly as advertised: a wee heavy flavored with coriander. Coriander is much more noticeable on the palate and is present in a 'just right' quantity. Without it, this would be a good, but not a great, example of the style. It doesn't taste complex enough to be truly outstanding, but maybe the coriander is masking more of the underlying flavors than is readily apparent.

The malt structure is solid. There's plenty of roasted barley, along with the previously mentioned elements of sweet (brown sugar, molasses, dark caramel, candied pecans) and sour (peat). Despite my initial doubts, new vistas of depth and complexity are opening up as the beer warms. The distinctiveness of the flavor profile is definitely growing on me.

The finish is tangy sweet and may be the best part of the whole experience. I wish the mouthfeel was more full, but it's full enough. A minor amount of mouthcoating contributes to the sense of lushness, although it's more of a glancing lushness than a full-on lushness. The 8% is masked incredibly well; the alcohol is beginning to sneak up on me despite the small bottle.

Traquair Jacobite is a singular offering within the wee heavy style due to the addition of a fair amount of coriander. A bigger body would help matters, but I wouldn't change a thing about the flavor profile. This is a beer that might take a half dozen bottles to truly appreciate. Since this is one of the few truly outstanding ales readily available to me, I look forward to the journey.

06-24-2005 14:44:56 | More by BuckeyeNation
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

330ml Bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast

Poured with a dark brown / burgundy colour. Had a creamy tan head with a little lacing..

Aromas – sweet caramel, spices (seemed like coriander to me) and some nuttiness. A little bit of malty roastness as well… Quite a lot of aromas going on….

Taste – sweet, toasted malt with maybe a hint of dark fruits and liquorice..

Mouthfeel – smooth and creamy

Overall – amazing beer. Well worth hunting down.

06-20-2005 15:02:15 | More by mdagnew
GarethYoung1

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

[bottle: peckhams] pours dark, almost black with a medium tan head. the nose is molasses, roasted carrots, spices, a little caramel, slightly meaty with the faintest notes of coffee and liquorice. exceptionally well bodied with a long finish. excellent stuff!

06-18-2005 13:23:18 | More by GarethYoung1
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Another brew courtesy of my good friend Stopper!

I am sampling a chilled bottle in a sample glass / mini pint.

The beer pours a dark brown with a thin beige surface layer of tightly packed head.
Aroma is sweet and spicy, with floral notes and definate coriander and also brown sugar and molasses. I also get some berries and orange peel. Very complex nose.

First sip reveals a silky smooth body with almost non-existent carbonation.
Flavor is sweet with chocolate and ripe dark fruits dominant, also the berry from thenose makes an appearance and a mix of sweet spices as well.
No hint of the ABV anywhere, and the beer is extremely drinkable and goes down easily.
Quite a nice treat that I have wanted to try for a while.

06-12-2005 20:06:07 | More by sulldaddy
GClarkage

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

5/14/05- Purchased at a wine store in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with no dates. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- A deep dark mohaganey color with a large foamy head and light sticky lacing.

Smell- Pretty damn sweet and malty with maybe a roasted scent to back it up. Smells very inviting.

Taste- Wow, just had the House Ale from Traquair and this one seems much sweeter and much darker. This beer has tons of different stuff going on. It has a pretty sweet carmel and chocolate malt taste as well as a toasted malt taste. Not super smokey or anything, but just enough to detect. Then it also has many spices, corriander the main one, plus some dark fruits in the mix.

Mouthfeel- Sugary sweet mouthcoating and light carbonation. Goes down super smooth and creamy.

Drinkability- This could be one of my top beers after a good dinner. I was kinda stressed out when I drank it and still loved it. Just think if I was to drink this when I was happy and had my full attention. Excellent brew with a mixed bag of goodies inside.

05-17-2005 06:04:56 | More by GClarkage
horndecker

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Love the bottle and the look of this brew in the glass. It's inky brownish-black, the color of walnut stain, with a small oatmeal colored head. The foam leaves scattered and sticky lace.

Whiffs of espresso, dusty powdered cocoa and stewed fruits come to mind. as well as a hint of anise.

The taste is bittersweet chocolate, figs and burnt malt. Licorice -like flavors settle at the sides of your tongue. Looking for the prescence of the coriander, but it's subtle. There's a decent amount of dark fruit flavors as well. Is that the yeast?

It has a nice body to it, and a pleasing amount of carbonation. It finishes dry and dusty, a reprise of the cocoa powder. It's a treat, and I'll be happy to have this one quite often.

05-09-2005 19:51:44 | More by horndecker
OldSock

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance – Dark brown with red highlights around the edges. The head is a minimal off white covering, but what is there stays around. There is just a little lacing left on my pint glass.

Smell – Lots going on, molasses, dried fruits, alcohol and roasted maltiness.

Taste – Sweet roasty malts and a slight bitterness hit first. The alcohol is the smell is not present in the flavor more than a slight warming as I draw to the end. A subtle molasses flavor is also there, along with some spice flavors that I cannot identify. Hops are almost completely lacking except for that small bitterness. The aftertaste is spicy and slightly bitter, but very pleasant.

Mouthfeel – Chewy with just a little carbonation. Very smooth for the style, creamy and delicious going down.

Drinkability – Really nice beer for sipping, the alcohol is very mild in the flavor. This is one of my favorite scotch ales, I like it more than the House Ale.

05-08-2005 21:03:24 | More by OldSock
DrainBamage

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a dark brown color. It's quite cloudy and can barely see through it when brought to light. There is only a small head lace around the glass. The smell is excellent. It is very strong with caramel aromas. The taste, well, you can tell why they call it scotch ale. This is probably the best scotch ale I've every had. The mouthfeel is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth. This is the best there is for scoth ales and I high recommend this one.

05-05-2005 03:49:05 | More by DrainBamage