Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Deep brown-mahogany with an off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, but it's a good looking beer all the same.

Very interesting and unique aroma! Sweet fruits dominate, summer peaches and apples. Spicy background from the coriander. Hints of caramel and maybe bourbon.

Starts off tart and sweetens in the middle. Great malt profile with what I'll describe as a peach gummi ring flavor. This also sticks in the aftertaste with some subtle floral hops. Candyish apple and maybe even some pear. Kind of like an alcohol-soaked, caramel coated fruit basket. Dried peaches dominate the finish.

Smooth and a bit chewy and certainly creamy. This has a lighter body for a scotch ale, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.

Wow, I'm amazed. This is superb. I think I like this one even better than the regular Traquair House Ale. I love coriander so I figured I'd like this a lot, but I had no idea it would be this good. A very interesting and unique scotch ale. If you see this, give it a try. It's worth the hefty price. This may become one of my very favorite beers.

Appearance: Medium reddish brown in color, with a small off-white head, scattered patchy lacing, and small streams of fine carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet molasses and brown sugar dominate the aroma, with caramel and spices as well.

Taste: Sweet spicy notes of coriander and molasses throughout, with a mild medicinal note at the finish, which cuts the sweetness quite nicely. The finish is somewhat dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, with slightly aggressive carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A quite nice example of the style, it bespeakes quality. An expensive beer, but worth it. Many thanks to HardTarget for sharing this.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark stained mahogany with a 1/2 inch tan head that falls fairly quickly. Spicy malty nose, large in the senses, very inviting. Taste starts like a scotch ale and then the spicy coriander sends it off into a new direction. Superb blend of spices, malt, with hints of fruit and zest. Tasty. Mouthfeel is medium as is the finish. Oh so drinkable. 8%? I can't tell. If the ABV gets to me, then I find I can't spel well. Excellant.

$5.99 for a 12 oz bottle at OUAV in Richmond, VA.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

33ml ($5.99) deep mahagony almost purple color. thin head that disapates rapidly. fruity esters in nose,( dates, plums, and rasberries). fruit up front with caramel and malt backbone, with a warming ethanol finish. much thinner on the mouth than I would have expected. great beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours intot he glass with a nice deep mahogany colour, ringed by a cola/orange edge. The head seems to have two levels- a pale tight top, and a looser, darker bottom.

Smell is VERY nice- full of hops, brown sugar, and a hint of spice and banana.

The flavour has acola overtones, wiht an element of coffee. It reminds me a bit of Kvas, or at least, the mass-produced non-alcoholic Kvas. It's pleasantly tangy- then a little smoky at the end.

Mouthfeel is just a bit watery at first, then a bit grainy at the end...but overall very smooth.

Maybe not my first choice, but this stuff is very tasty, and very drinkable. Could I get it in Alabama, and were it just a tad less expensive, I might have this one regularly. (I think I paid $8 for a 12 oz bottle.)

Be well
-UF

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Paid $5.49 for an 11.2 oz bottle.

Gorgeous appearance. Ruby red almost purple when the sun hits it. Slight carbonation and minimal tannish beige head.

Smell Chocolate, burnt cherries.

Taste and mouthfeel is suprisingly light and pleasant. Not overwhelming at all. Again taste chocolate, burnt cherries, and spices. The spicyness and the alcohol have a slight warming effect on your throat. The alcohol taste, although subtle, can sneek up on you.

I expected this beer to be a lot more intense but it was very drinkable and pleasant with a pretty strong kick in the end.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to Ron at Vintage Estates in Boardman, OH for getting this and House Ale per my request.

In a thistle glass, the hue is a deep, rubyesque murky mahoghany bronze with mild carbonination. Head was disapointing - a 1/4" crown of very active mixed almond hued foam that faded really fast with almost no lace. Nose was crisp with corriander, orange peel and mild pepper.

This is interesting. Its crisp, and the corriander is very prevelent, a nice presence at that. Tastes of black pepper and clove crackle on my tongue over a noticably roasted malt base. The sharpness of the spices slowly fade on the pallete, with the throat finish rich, deep, lightly bitter with a slight filmy aftertaste.

I like Scotch Ales, I like Witbiers. So this is just wonderful. If there is any such thing as a summer Scotch Ale, this is it. A wonderful interpretation of the genre and a great beer. I recommend this highly.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Murky dark chocolate brown that straddles the line between opaque and not opaque. With bright morning sunshine streaming through the glass, I'm just able to see streaks of dark crimson within the beer and fiery red-orange accents at the edges. The toast brown head is small to start and is a barely covering film within minutes. I'm not anticipating much lace, but the color of the beer is more than adequate compensation.

The wonderful Scotch ale nose doesn't lack any of the essential elements of the style. Brown sugar, light molasses, a little peat and a pinch of coriander. The more I smell, the more phenolic, Scotch whisky-like aromas I pick up.

Jacobite tastes exactly as advertised: a wee heavy flavored with coriander. Coriander is much more noticeable on the palate and is present in a 'just right' quantity. Without it, this would be a good, but not a great, example of the style. It doesn't taste complex enough to be truly outstanding, but maybe the coriander is masking more of the underlying flavors than is readily apparent.

The malt structure is solid. There's plenty of roasted barley, along with the previously mentioned elements of sweet (brown sugar, molasses, dark caramel, candied pecans) and sour (peat). Despite my initial doubts, new vistas of depth and complexity are opening up as the beer warms. The distinctiveness of the flavor profile is definitely growing on me.

The finish is tangy sweet and may be the best part of the whole experience. I wish the mouthfeel was more full, but it's full enough. A minor amount of mouthcoating contributes to the sense of lushness, although it's more of a glancing lushness than a full-on lushness. The 8% is masked incredibly well; the alcohol is beginning to sneak up on me despite the small bottle.

Traquair Jacobite is a singular offering within the wee heavy style due to the addition of a fair amount of coriander. A bigger body would help matters, but I wouldn't change a thing about the flavor profile. This is a beer that might take a half dozen bottles to truly appreciate. Since this is one of the few truly outstanding ales readily available to me, I look forward to the journey.

330ml Bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast

Poured with a dark brown / burgundy colour. Had a creamy tan head with a little lacing..

Aromas – sweet caramel, spices (seemed like coriander to me) and some nuttiness. A little bit of malty roastness as well… Quite a lot of aromas going on….

Taste – sweet, toasted malt with maybe a hint of dark fruits and liquorice..

Mouthfeel – smooth and creamy

Overall – amazing beer. Well worth hunting down.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

[bottle: peckhams] pours dark, almost black with a medium tan head. the nose is molasses, roasted carrots, spices, a little caramel, slightly meaty with the faintest notes of coffee and liquorice. exceptionally well bodied with a long finish. excellent stuff!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Another brew courtesy of my good friend Stopper!

I am sampling a chilled bottle in a sample glass / mini pint.

The beer pours a dark brown with a thin beige surface layer of tightly packed head.
Aroma is sweet and spicy, with floral notes and definate coriander and also brown sugar and molasses. I also get some berries and orange peel. Very complex nose.

First sip reveals a silky smooth body with almost non-existent carbonation.
Flavor is sweet with chocolate and ripe dark fruits dominant, also the berry from thenose makes an appearance and a mix of sweet spices as well.
No hint of the ABV anywhere, and the beer is extremely drinkable and goes down easily.
Quite a nice treat that I have wanted to try for a while.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

5/14/05- Purchased at a wine store in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with no dates. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- A deep dark mohaganey color with a large foamy head and light sticky lacing.

Smell- Pretty damn sweet and malty with maybe a roasted scent to back it up. Smells very inviting.

Taste- Wow, just had the House Ale from Traquair and this one seems much sweeter and much darker. This beer has tons of different stuff going on. It has a pretty sweet carmel and chocolate malt taste as well as a toasted malt taste. Not super smokey or anything, but just enough to detect. Then it also has many spices, corriander the main one, plus some dark fruits in the mix.

Mouthfeel- Sugary sweet mouthcoating and light carbonation. Goes down super smooth and creamy.

Drinkability- This could be one of my top beers after a good dinner. I was kinda stressed out when I drank it and still loved it. Just think if I was to drink this when I was happy and had my full attention. Excellent brew with a mixed bag of goodies inside.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Love the bottle and the look of this brew in the glass. It's inky brownish-black, the color of walnut stain, with a small oatmeal colored head. The foam leaves scattered and sticky lace.

Whiffs of espresso, dusty powdered cocoa and stewed fruits come to mind. as well as a hint of anise.

The taste is bittersweet chocolate, figs and burnt malt. Licorice -like flavors settle at the sides of your tongue. Looking for the prescence of the coriander, but it's subtle. There's a decent amount of dark fruit flavors as well. Is that the yeast?

It has a nice body to it, and a pleasing amount of carbonation. It finishes dry and dusty, a reprise of the cocoa powder. It's a treat, and I'll be happy to have this one quite often.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance – Dark brown with red highlights around the edges. The head is a minimal off white covering, but what is there stays around. There is just a little lacing left on my pint glass.

Smell – Lots going on, molasses, dried fruits, alcohol and roasted maltiness.

Taste – Sweet roasty malts and a slight bitterness hit first. The alcohol is the smell is not present in the flavor more than a slight warming as I draw to the end. A subtle molasses flavor is also there, along with some spice flavors that I cannot identify. Hops are almost completely lacking except for that small bitterness. The aftertaste is spicy and slightly bitter, but very pleasant.

Mouthfeel – Chewy with just a little carbonation. Very smooth for the style, creamy and delicious going down.

Drinkability – Really nice beer for sipping, the alcohol is very mild in the flavor. This is one of my favorite scotch ales, I like it more than the House Ale.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a dark brown color. It's quite cloudy and can barely see through it when brought to light. There is only a small head lace around the glass. The smell is excellent. It is very strong with caramel aromas. The taste, well, you can tell why they call it scotch ale. This is probably the best scotch ale I've every had. The mouthfeel is only lightly carbonated and is very smooth. This is the best there is for scoth ales and I high recommend this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark murky brown with a ruby hue when held to the light. Tan bubbly head disappates to bubbles on the surface in a few minutes. Nose of malt, alcohol and some herbs. Unusual for a wee heavy. Sweet malts in the taste with a hint of, I think it's coriander though I'm not sure, vying for dominance with the warming alcohol. Quite a unique ale and quite unlike the other wee heavys I've tried. Mouthfeel is good with low carbonation. All in all this is a rather fascinating ale. The alcohol brings down the drinkability a wee bit. Shall have to pay them a visit.

(For the uninitiated, and to avoid embarassing yourself in Scotland as I did, it is pronounced Trah-kweer)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Great excuse to break out my Scottish thistle glass that I hardly use. Pours a deep,somewhat muddy brown color. Low aroma-slightly vinuous. Malty,sweet. Earthy,somewhat treacle like. Malty flavor-slight taste of coriander. Sour and very slight phenolic taste. Really complex but well balanced. On the thin side as far as body goes. A very drinkable beer. The coriander makes a nice difference from your average Scotch Ales. A sipper to be sure.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Absolutely smashing!! It poured a very cloudy, rusty, dark brown with no head. This smells, to me at least, a little like blue berries, but I know its the corriander mixing with something else. Plenty of malt and a bit of semi-sweet chocolate faintly noticeable. Just fantastic. The corriander is mildy noticeable (but certainly there, just not over powering) and there is a myriad of flavour profiles. There plenty of different malts, chocolate, a toasted flavour that is noticeable on the finish. Oh...it's simply magnificent. It's very smooth with a very tiny bit of carbonation. You must try it! Brilliant!!

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a highly unique and intensely likable brew! I think I'm falling in love all over again! How intense!

Poured a medium amber/brown with a thin head, lots of lacing throughout. Smells heavily of coriander and malts, maybe some fruity wafts thrown in for good measure. I was very impressed with this brew, a truly unique and truly Scottish beer, something I definatly appreciate. This is one you will remember for many times to come. It's a sipper however as the coriander is quite strong and even a small sip leaves the taste lingering for many miinutes, I was still tasting this one even after sampling some other brews. Traces of clove and other herbs make their subtle statements as well as the hops, but coriander remains the main attraction.

A+ in my book, I'll be back again!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Best before June 09; tasted in 10/04 (it was stored 8 months before I popped it). Label tells me the ingredients are springwater, malt, hops, yeast, and coriander. Oh, good, my first beer where they tell me it has coriander- I can look for it and isolate the flavor.

Pours a dark muddy river brown- no obvious particles in the mud, but NO light passes through. A slight hint of bubbles on the top (I cannot pretend to call it a head). No carbonation to be found.

Aroma is sweet, malty, with nutbread, strong rich chocolate, and a little smoky. It makes me want to bite into this chocolate beer and see if it's a Mounds or a Snickers Bar! I don't get any herbal/spicy notes from the Coriander.

Flavor is interesting- starts off brown-ale like, rich and smooth with malt biscuit and chocolate. Then, mid-drink, the spice comes through, building stronger and stronger as I swallow. By the end, it's all I taste. So that's what coriander tastes like! Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Nice, full, creamy mouthfeel, as good as it gets.

Overall, I was really excited by this beer. I am not a fan of the Scotch Ales I have tried, and I am not a fan of heavily spiced beers, but I really enjoyed this. Really. Enjoyed. This. Maybe because it surprised me how much I liked it.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a nearly-opaque dark brown and black with a finger of very smooth tan head which settles into creamy film and light lacing. Smells of roasted sweet malts blended with strong floral coriander and tinged with alcohol spice. The taste is a flavorful interplay between malt sweetness, toasted coffee and chocolate malts, and very fragrant, somewhat bitter coriander. The finish leaves you with lingering coriander bitterness on a developing wave of alcohol warmth. Good mouth-feel, medium-bodied, very creamy, and with just enough carbonation. Unique, extremely tasty, and pretty easy to drink relative to its strength. A very pleasant surprise.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked this baby up in Hawaii and hand carried it back to Texas. Noted that it is best before June 2011 (sampled Jan 05)!
Aroma: Mild smell with the main player being dark malt flavored with coriander.
Appearance: Deep brown glass with a tan head that quickly collapsed to- nothing.
Flavor: It’s all about the coriander baby. Very strong coriander spice dominates the rich dark malt and slightly sweet molasses flavors. It’s like they used coriander instead of hops (an exaggeration, but they went big on the coriander).
Mouthfeel: Medium light body with a nice dry finish.
Overall Impression: This was very enjoyable to me, but, I LOVE coriander. I’m amazed they put such a long best by date as I’ve found coriander will fade quickly. I’m guessing as this beer ages you get a very different experience, but I’m personally glad I got a fresh bottle. Wish I had access to more to do a vertical with this to test my theory.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This beer was all over the board but in the end it was spectacular. I seriously felt it was a mid 3 rating beer when I first opened it, and I never put it in the fridge but it was sitting in my rather cold basement. When it was somewhat cold it was on the thin side and the flavors seemed a bit displaced. However as the beer warmed it continued to change in flavor and thickness and richness of body and continually improved. By the time it reached room temperature, this beer was simply phenomenol! The body was still a bit thin for all the flavors but there were so many flavors. Figs, dried prunes, raisin skins, juicy cranberries, semi sweet chocolate, molasses, wood, smoke, peat, hazelnuts, the coriander was hardly noticeable to me, maybe b/c of all the other flavors or maybe b/c of the aging of this beer. Eitherways, I really liked this beer once it warmed to room temp. but it was merely average until then. I wonder how this would be mulled?

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Apperance: Looks just like a pepsi. Lacing is minimal. So is head retention.

Nose: Orange peel, coriander, chocolate.

Taste: Creamy mouthfeel. Unsweetened chocolate, coriander, dances on the tip of your tounge, while the creamy texture pulls the rest down your throat. Lightly bitter.

Notes: A pure joy to drink, I would gladly have another.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A nice, thick dirt brown with a tight white head that disappears but leaves a nice ring around the glass.

Smells like spicy candy, and has a strong malty scotch ale taste with a hint of spiciness. A little bit oily feeling, but this doesn't take away too much from it. A great winter beer, and an interesting take on the typical wee heavy.

Traquair Jacobite from Traquair House Brewery Lld