Traquair Jacobite - Traquair House Brewery Lld

Traquair JacobiteTraquair Jacobite

Traquair House Brewery Lld visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Traquair Jacobite Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Again, I write the disclaimer...I'm a big sucker for "traditional ales", or recreations of older beer recipes from throughout history. Thus my rating of this beer would reflect that. With that said, this is a GREAT beer, very enjoyable in its own right.

The Appearance is a dark chocolate/caramel brown, with a 1-finger tan head, not much lacing. The aroma was amazing; a mix of sweet caramel malts and fruit. There's a slight bit of spicyness thrown in. The flavor is much like the aroma. This beer reminded me more of an English porter than a scotch ale. The flavor was sweet malts, chocolate, and included a piney flavor, as well as a slightly spicy quality. The mouthfeel is thick, and enjoyable. The finish has a sweetness well balanced by hops and other spices. Great beer overall.

tgncc, Nov 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Best before June 2014. Love the reverse labeling (white on black) on this one.

A: Poured into my cab glass a murky black chestnut with a light tan, creamy head that immediately disappeared leaving a nice halo around the rim of the glass.

S: Thick, syrupy mix of coriander and sweet malts. Very pleasing and soothing smell.

T/M: Wow, now that's a unique and tasty beer! Much like the nose. Medium to full bodied and flavored with a relaxing mix of sweet coriander, caramel malts, light yeasts and spices. Very nice! As the beer warmed, the alcohol came out a bit, but it was never taxing on me.

D: I wasn't certain if I'd like this one, but I really did! It was very soothing and it's a great beer to finish the night off.

beachbum1975, Nov 06, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +13%

Beer bottle (33cl.), tasted in 2008.

Appearance : dark brown color (Burgundy), with a tan foam head (not persistent), low carbonation.
Smell : spicy notes (coriander).
Taste and mouthfeel : roast sweet, anise and caramel, spices.
A sprawl of alcohol and sweet notes.
Drinkability : a very good beer in the style Scotch ale (taste at cellar t° 10-13°C).

thierrynantes, Oct 31, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

After being completely and utterly impressed by Traquair House Ale, when I saw this, I had to try their Jacobite Ale when I saw it. A dark, rich color, with a bready, sweet and lightly spiced aroma, it was delicious even before I tasted it. The taste is initially sweet, with a chewy, bready middle, and very prominent coriander in the finish. There is caramel and a note of whiskey in here too. Really nice mouthfeel here... just enough tiny bubbles of carbonation to give a little lightness, but very smooth on the palate. My only criticism is that the coriander is a bit strong for my taste... it comes through here much more than a Belgian Wit or other Belgian brews with coriander. But overall, while it doesn't impress me the way their House Ale does (but really, what could live up to that?) this is certainly very drinkable and enjoyable.

apintofknowledge, Oct 30, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

More drinkable than I expected. With this price (~$5) I expected to only want to drink one, but I could have multiple except that I'm not rich. Probably won't buy this on a regular basis due to the quality of American craft brews, but considering it's one of the legends I had to try it and will drink it again. The scent is fulfilling, strongly malty. The appearance is dark in the tone of a stout. Quality taste but not better than I expected (after drinking so many quality American craft brews I expect a lot out of a $5 11 oz bottle). Tastes a lot like a stout. I'm not a spice expert, but I don't experience so much coriander (it's written on the label). Great beer, maybe not worth the $5. I'm aging one to compare if it gets better.

bheilman, Oct 25, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Traquair must be one of the most consistant quality brewers I know, they have never dissapointed me. Tried this one also @ Bishops Arms - Karlstad with Ljunkan. And boy, this one was really interesting and good!

Looks nice, red/black colour with a nice beige/white head.

Smells really interesting! The smell reminds me slightly of Anchor Christmas Ale 2007 (or "Our special ale"). Lots of fresh spices and a slight smokiness.

Taste is like Anchor Christmas Ale on steriods in some way (maybe because that's the only spice/herb ale I have had prior to this one). Mainly spices and some nice leathery maltiness. Pretty sweet too actually, some notes raisins going on there I think.

Bananaman, Oct 25, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Pours a 1 finger head on top of a dark mahogany ruby/black color. The head recedes rather quickly. A nice amount of sediment resides in the body.

S- Nice coriander, lemon, fresh flour component, blueberry, touch of coffee, and a bit of fig/caramel notes. Complex.

T- Starts out with a slight touch of acidity, And notes of blueberry, coriander, some citrus, then moves into some coffee notes, with residual dates and fig. the finish is a slightly dry coffee with a bit of residual fruitiness. (Go to the store and buy Malt-O-Meal fruity dino bytes. That taste+smell is a major component in this beer.)

M- Some low carbonation works well. The finish on this is nice!

D- 8%.. really?! The alcohol is WELL-hidden in this. Definitely give this one a shot. It's nothing like you've had before.

Greggy, Oct 15, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark brown body with ruby highlights topped with a thick, durable finger of somewhat tan head; modest lacing on the Yankees pint glass, with the outstanding color carrying the day. Coriander, as advertised, emerges most in the aroma, with moderate malt on the nose.

Like the smell, the taste is not but rather uncomplicated, though some berry emerges as it warms. It's a good beer, not great, a distinct contribution to a style to which I've gradually warmed. I was hoping for more from the mouthfeel, which is smooth and a bit creamy, but could be fuller in malt and carbonation. This is as drinkable as it is from its smooth texture.

Quite good and well worth trying.

Gehrig, Oct 12, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a bottle identical to the one pictured above into a clean, clear Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale glass. Found it in stock on sale for $4.99 in single 11.2 oz bottles at Heinen's in Willouhby HIlls, OH

A Excellent appearance of a deep ruby red with a nice light brown (those two shades look really cool next to each other by the way) head made up of very small bubbles. Really great apperance. Observed after initially finishing this review was some sediment...a wee bit... in the bottom of my glass.

S Malty, certainly smell the coriander. I understand this to be a "wee heavy" but I do not smell strong alcohol. It smells like it is going to be a strong, hearty beer though. The coriander is interesting.

T A really great, full, malty ale with that coriander but it is not obnoxiously there, just a side spice. It is sweet but very well rounded. As I type and take drinks from time to time I am sensing that the aftertaste is that great malt with more prominent coriander.

M As mentioned above, this is a full beer but it also has a wonderful smoothness to it. Not in the sense of a sticky molasses type smooth but a smoothness brought on by malty goodness. So not a silky, syrupy smoothness but a really great malt ale smoothness.

D Maybe the best for an 8.0 ABV beer. I cannot taste the alcohol. I could have 4 or 5 of these without hesitation. Of course, at the price listed that would cost me $20-25. That would be money well spent!

Notes: Really happy that I picked this one up. I think that everyone should give it a go.

adamette, Oct 11, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from bottle in to my Hoegaarden Grand Cru tulip.

Dark black stout with a purple tint. No head but a small off white ring around the perimeter of the glass. Mild carbonation bubbles flowing up. Smell has a very slight hint of brett, other than that dry. Taste is pretty mild with dry finish, some spices in there, coriander is mentioned on the bottle, I can almost get that. Very slight hints of black licorice and grape juice on inspection. Mild but noticeable carbonated on the tongue; alcohol is hidden well in taste. Interesting scotch ale, not what I was expecting.

ballewblake, Oct 11, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle of Traquair Jacobite into a snifter. The "best before" date is June 2017.

A: The first thing I noticed about the beer is how loud the head was. That tan head very loudly crackles away to nothing, leaving not a trace on top of the dark brown body. However, when that beer is held up against a strong light, we can see that the body's color is more accurately described as a deep, deep red with slight orange hues throughout.

S: Here is where this beer shines brightest. The aroma is powerful and rich smelling. It is filled with notes of rich fruits and coriander. I can pick out odors of fig, raisin, over-ripened bananas and apricot, not to mention coriander and other subtle nuances in the nose. For the boldness and the complexity, I am giving this beer a 5. I could sit and smell this beer all day long.

M: I was not digging the flavor when I started drinking this. I guess I was surprised by how little character there was for such a phenomenal smell. As the beer goes from the mouth to the throat, it loses much of its flavor and complexity. I have to also comment that I got an initial impression of hot dog water. I believe the only other time that I had that thought was with Victory's Whirlwind Wit. I guess that is the coriander?? The alcohol is a major factor in the taste, bringing out some of the rich fruits notes.

M: Full bodied with a warmth that is attributable to the high ABV.

D: Not really drinkable! I just thought that it was okay, and an okay beer with a high alcohol content is going to lose when it comes to drinkability. I would have given it a 2, but I remembered that a typically hate Scotch ales, and so I gave it a 2.5 for any bias that I may have.

MusicaleMike, Oct 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

This ale pours a dark brown that approaches black. Sports a tan colored head that settles to a thick creamy collar.

The coriander spicing is strong, but does not overwhelm the other subtle scents. Beneath the spice there is a rich roasted caramel malt base that is absolutely inviting.

The sweet molasses, peat, and caramel comes through again in the taste with a brief smokey hint. The finish is slightly bitter and dry with coriander and some black licorice/anise flavors.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and the carbonation is very light. I would have enjoyed a fuller feel to sink my teeth into. Alcohol content is dangerously absent. Great beer that pairs well with lamb stew.

Jmamay22, Sep 26, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Traiquair House: Jacobite, Wee Heavy (Tasted 04/16/08) (Best Before 2011)
11.2 oz. Bottle: Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours out dark amber, almost opaque, with a one small off-white head that fades into a ring.
Odor: Rich candied currants or figs, molasses, hefty spices (coriander?). Minuscule whiffs of alcohol with some chocolate in the background.
Consistency: Deceivingly full medium body. Very smooth and velvety on the tongue, slightly chewy. Honestly, I was expecting the body on this to be humongous.
Taste: Dry roasted grain and chocolate flavors roll in first, some fruity esters flash in and out. Hop flavor is very subtle, earthy, sweet & herbal, tea-like. Finishes with dry baker's chocolate and earthy hops on the palate.

Walken, Sep 11, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours opaque bubbly caramel brown. A thin bubbly head fades away quickly. I also notice bubbles stuck to the side of the glass go away as well.

S - roasted caramel malts, scotch

T - Goes well along with the smell.. it's pretty simple tasting, not to complex. Thin bodied. Rosted malts. on the nose.. hints of caramel throughout and a big scotch finish (which I don't like).

M - thin and carbonated

D - eh.. it's drinkable due to it's mouthfeel, but the taste isn't there like the Traquair House Ale. A sipper for me.

I really enjoyed the Traquair House Ale so I picked this one up. After now having the two to compare, I'd rather have the House Ale over the Jacobite. This is just to 'scotchy' for me.

Yesac, Aug 13, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a murky, mudlike brown color and a thick consistency. Not a whole lot of head, but some good lacing.

S: Lots of malt, some spices and sweets in the aroma.

T: Deep malt taste, along with coriander, caramel, and some other sweets. Tasty, in a heavy sort of way.

M: Middle of road carbonation level, with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer if you're into wee heavies. It's thick and gives you a warm feeling right away, but it's never oppressive.

avalon07, Aug 13, 2008

Appearance: Pours a dark, chestnut brown body that picks up some reddish hints when held up to the light. Also, a thin, ivory-colored head!

Smell: Dark malt aroma yields a scent of caramel and brown sugar alongside notes of plums and oven-toasted coriander seeds, which, being a popular gin ingredient rightly has me thinking of gin.

Taste: Dark maltiness with tastes of dark brown sugar, maple syrup, and nuts. Pleasing, though never overwhelming sweetness. Faint dark fruitiness. Earthy, herbal coriander spice flavor, along with a mild bitterness and warming genever presence does a good job of tempering the malty sweetness. Leaves you with a lingering taste of pumpernickel bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-low carbonation. Slight stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A fine spiced ale. Plenty of complexity as well as overall restraint and balance to deliver an interesting, tasty brew.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 10, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Mahogany brown in colour that pours with a good persistent off white head.

Oh man, superb aroma - sweet herbal coriander and a slightly white winey aroma leap out of the glass - really great smelling stuff. Spice aromas of fennel and mint waft in and out - love it.

Bittersweet malty palate that has a great bite to balance out the sweetness. More coriander but also some stronger dark fruit flavours and even a touch of stone fruit and perhaps a bit of butter (or "butter menthols" more accurately). Complex and enjoyable.

Creamy texture, first-class balance and whole lot of drinkability. 8% is carried perfectly.

More please! Top notch.

koolk, Aug 05, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

"best by" of june 2014

dark brown w red tint. decent head but soon fades to just a thin ring. lacing tends not to stick.

dark fruit and spice. herbal, almost minty. whiffs of molasses and dark caramel.

whisky and rum tones to the malt sweetness. herbal and grassy. moderate bitterness. trace of alcohol and phenols into the finish as well.

pretty smooth, with enlivening carbonation.

tai4ji2x, Jul 18, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -20%

Pours a dark ruby brown. Minimal head although a nice ring of lacing. Chunks of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

I give this beer a high mark for smell because it's interesting; smells like a bag of herbs. Sharp citrus peel scent combined with dark roasted malts too. Very herbal.

Taste has an herbal bitterness combined with a chocolatey maltiness. Kind of tastes like my mouth in the morning if I have an imperial stout before bed.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with certain sharp carbonation that latches to the tongue as soon as the beer gets in your mouth.

This really isn't a very drinkable beer, but I feel like it's interesting and unique enough that I'm glad I had it. It's almost medicinal; kind makes me wonder if this isn't what beer tasted like before the widespread use of non-fire roasted malts and hops.

FreightTrain, Jul 11, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Poured a dark brown with a centimetre of light tan head that falls away quite quickly.
S - Initially herbal spice mixed with dark fruit. Some sweet toffee malt notes also come through as the ale warms, a touch of peat is also in there.
T - Toffee and dark fruit notes are more at the forefront in the taste with the herbal spice notes taking a back seat.
M - Medium bodied, fairly low carbonation.
D - A nice beer, well worth trying but not something I'd purchase on a regular basis.

brendan13, Jul 09, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Traquair Jacobite
12oz. brown bottle

A: snifter. Pours an deep obsidian-brown color with a slightly off-white head. Low head retention level and very light lacing.

S: tons of coriander in the nose, more than any beer I have smelled. Sweet, rich sticky malts, with some really strong sweet citrus tones.

T: tastes just like it smells. Tons of coriander are all over this, with some sweet, roasted malts with a lot of sweet citrus flavors. Very interesting palate.

M: very mellow compared to the color. Light to medium body. Lower carbonation than expected.

D: very drinkable if you like coriander. The taste threw me off after looking at a dark, thick looking beer. Makes me think that this is what beers in the 15th century tasted like. Well worth a try and glad that mhewes traded with me for it.

paulthebeerguru, Jul 06, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep brown color with a dense tan head that dissipated into a light ring. The aroma is of corriander, which drowned out the other aromas. If you like the smell of corriander then this is up your alley. The taste is a unique mixture of corriander and chocolate malt. It starts off with a corriander hit then transitions nicely into a milk chocolate. There are some notes of vanilla and prunes as well. The feel is moderate to well bodied, with soft carbonation leading to a nice silky texture. The brew finishes a tad bitter from the malt with a touch of booziness. This is a very fine brew, nice flavors and very smooth. The corriander and the rich malt work very well together and is an interesting mix. Recommended.

Gmann, Jul 06, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I had the opportunity to taste a little 2 ounce serving of this some time back, and recall enjoying it a great deal. Surprisingly, it has taken a couple months to pick up a bottle for review.

A: A burnt auburn shade, topped with a subtle little puff of head that doesn't last particularly long, waning to a little trim of lacing and a soft sheet.

S: The coriander makes itself at home, and an intriguing scent of anise comes through - the two compliment each other quite nicely. Hints of coffee, and a pleasant maltiness. Very nice.

T: Malts, light coffee flavours and, of course, spices. I don't get the flavour of anise that I may have expected from the aroma, but it can be detected in a way. Molasses, and a very subtle toffee like taste.

M + D: Quite an expressive, rich body. Not too heavy, and rather smooth and easy drinking. The ABV is sure to catch up quickly, but otherwise, absolutely fabulous. Recommended drinking, this.

Proteus93, Jun 24, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

A) Dark brown with a thin tan head, and a little lacing. Slightly Opaque.
S) Sweet and malty with a hint of chocolate, and some spices
T) Spiced, with a strong alcohol taste (the coriander is a good addition here), followed by a peat smoked background and a lingering wet maltiness.
M) Thin, but wet, lingers nicely though
D) Not my favorite wee-heavy, but the coriander is a nice thought, I used this in a very successful marinade, though

gabemasiulis, Jun 02, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

pours a deep dark crimson with a thin sprinkling of head. short legs. smells sweet and malty....chocolate, toffee...an inviting aroma. Peaty and sweet malt flavor. coriander spice is nice and sits on top of the sweet malt. alcohol evident and slightly dry. some hop bitterness. medium to full bodied. smooth, but the little coriander gives it a punch too. i would call this more of an old ale with some interesting spices. tasty.

aforbes10, Jun 02, 2008