Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,171 | Reviews: 983

Smooth tasting stout with rich body and flavors

My favorite Stout!

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%

This is a highly underrated stout to the general public. Sláinte!

4.87/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in a local Irish pub. Appearance is outstanding with a completely black body and creamy head. The aroma is a rich milk-chocolate. The taste is a blend of caramel and malt, smooth and perfectly balanced. The feel is less heavy and less bitter than Guinness Draught. Overall a very drinkable stout and I'll do a "Clancy" with Guinness Draught if I want a little heavier stout.

4.85/5  rDev +29.3%

I had this at Celtic Mist a new irish pub in Springfield,IL. I have had this before but never on tap.Let me tell you a tale...of one of thee most fantastic beers I have ever had.As the native irish bartender poured me a pint,I lavished as the head formed.It took about 5 mins. before i would even take the first drink as the head needed to settle properly.The smell is fantastic,dark rich malty character with a smooth creamy head.And the taste is something to talk about,smooth as it glides on the tounge,a perfect balanced stout.This beer is so drinkable, I love it!! No one in their right mind would turn their nose up at this one.

4.78/5  rDev +27.5%

This beer has just won the spot of "beer of my heart". The way it cascades upward into that perfect nitrogen head rises equal joy in my being. It's aroma is a bit understated but is still as comforting as a childs cup of hot coco. The flavor is where this stout really outshines the rest. It's as is someone took out that strange undesirable flavor from a Guiness and repaced it with smooth chocolate esspeso. The mouthfeel is a bit watery due to the nitrogen, but this seems to enhance the drinkability of this most fulfilling and simultaniously quaffable stout.

4.76/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured out of a draught can.

The most aesthetically beautiful beer I've had. Pours thick, creamy, takes some time to settle out of a relaxed and bubbly tan into a perfect dark beer with a layer of thick creamy head that looks like icing on a cake.

Smells rich, and the taste is perfect. Just the right amount of bittery undertones and a clean, clean, clean drink. Tasting something like a bitter chocolate or a toasted nut of something. Just perfect. Smooth and thick without being bloaty-inducing.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Love it! Slightly metallic aftertaste to me for some reason, though. My go-to beer when I don't know what I want to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

If you think the U.S. Murphy's is good try a draft when you are in Ireland. It's smoother than a baby's butt. No aftertaste. Could drink this all day.

4.73/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Guinness' big rival, and fuller-flavoured little brother. It took me longer to get into this one, and for a few years, I found it just to rich and heavy. Not so now; in fact, it is arguably becoming my favourite beer.

Look - Same as Guinness Draught, though darker, with a bigger head.

Smell - Reminiscent of being in a seaside Irish pub - one can just imagine the little packets of brown sauce on the table, fresh fish and chips being prepared, the ever-changing weather outside. A bit of sourness in the scent, with a stronger roasted barley nose.

Taste - Full-flavoured. More bitter than Guinness, a bit of sour smokiness that lingers for a long time. Lots of roasted malt, some chocolate and coffee.

Feel - Where Guinness is milky, Murphy's is creamy. Rich, luxuriant.

Overall, a beautiful beer. Due to Canada's ridiculously bizarre liquor laws, it is absolutely unavailable outside of a good Irish pub that will likely charge one exorbitant prices for a pint of said beer. Truly tragic. If you can get it on tap somewhere, take it over Guinness and allow yourself some time to make acquaintance with it. You won't regret it.

4.71/5  rDev +25.6%

Another great Irish Stout! Looks, smells, tastes exceptional! Was a little disappointed when one of my favorite bars stopped serving Guinness then They handed me a Murphy's and I had nothing to complain about I was all smiles! I now go out of my way for this great beer! I had some delicious corn beef & cabbage & 4 or 5 Murphy's on St. Patty's day nothing better made me wish I was Irish!

4.71/5  rDev +25.6%

A: This stout pours beautifully out of the Draughtflow can with a pitch black hue and clouds that settle nicely. Comes to a rich, velvety head that retains a nice lacing.

S: The aroma is subtle compared to most stouts. It has a pleasant coffee-like scent but nothing really stands out too much; just very clean and a hint of sweetness.

T: Coffee and chocolatey malts come to the front with just a touch of bittersweetness on the back end. This stout is quite balanced without too much sweet or hops. It's a full bodied flavor with a hint of roasted barley in the mix.

M: Smooth and rich without feeling too thick. The head is a velvety texture that sticks around and blends very well with each sip. Full bodied without being heavy, it washes over the palate with just the right amount of crispness at the finish.

O: A solid stout that covers all the bases. I love the way it pours and dances across the palate from first sip to final drop with its fresh coffee flavor and smooth finish. I'd highly recommend Murphy's for any occasion!

4.7/5  rDev +25.3%

poured into tulip glass
A: poured ruby red almost black like with a tan dense head like most other nitrogen stouts
S: smells of sweet chocalate malt maybe hints of coffee and nice nuttieness
T: sweet chocolate almond notes goes down than dry bitter finish with a lingering licorice flavor mmm
M: thick and velvety goes down so smooth it seems you drink it too fast
D: i love this beer my favorite stout from ireland my opion way better than guinness

4.69/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pretty good stout. I recommend.

4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

Throw your oatmeal away! Murphys pours and is truly alive inside as you watch the bubbles "rain up" the glass. a cool visual experience. black as oil and a head like pudding. thick and creamy, yet increadibly smooth. a wonderful irish stout. dry and frothy dark malty taste with hints of coffee or dark chocolate. truly a staple of an irishmans diet. so drinkable you wont even realize your drunk until youve soiled your trousers in the wagon!

4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

It doesnt get any better than this! Guinness is good, but I'll take this over Guinness any day. Poured into a pint glass, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, forming a creamy 1 inch head. The aroma is of milk chocolate and roasted malt. The taste is fantastic! Sweet, slight chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, but is still enjoyable. Overall, this is a great stout, and a very easy session beer. This is easily one of my favorite stouts available on the market in this area.

4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

pours a dark opaque black with nice foamy beige head

smells like malty bitter chocolate with tiny hint of coffee

taste is excellent. full-bodied, chocolatey delicious. subtle coffee notes blend with the bitter chocolate backbone. great.

mouthfeel is full and creamy and great. an easily drinkable stout. this is one of my favorites for its pleasant chocolatey taste. not as good as the young's double chocolate though. but not bad at all, underrated on here in my opinion. one of my old favorites.

4.67/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great Irish traditional stout. Comparative to Guinness only a slightly better feel and flavor.

4.66/5  rDev +24.3%

I have Murphy's stout on tap in my basement pub and really enjoy this stout. The head is thick and creamy with a black body. The smell is a roasted smell with a chocolaty hint. The mouth feel is creamy smooth and tasty. The taste is complex and outstanding. Starts malty and finishes chocolaty smooth. Love this stout, not as dry and more flavorful than Guinness, more complex and tastier than beamish. I think it's the best irish nitro stout.

4.66/5  rDev +24.3%

In the absense of Guiness Extra Stout, Murhpy's Irish Stout is my drink of choice. Well, truth be told, just about any stout is my drink of choice, but Murphy's is a darn good stout.

Pours a caramel brown that tumbles into a jet black beauty with a near-white, creamy head. It's smell is so faint, to my nose anyway, that I can hardly detect any aroma at all. This stout starts smooth and malty with a bit of chocolate or dark creme flavoring. It is - of course - full-bodied with gentle flavors and a wheat or barley thickness to the beer. Letting a bit of the head onto your tongue only serves to highlight that wheat flavor. This stout finishes strong, dry, and smooth with a pleasant bit of aftertaste. Mouthfeel, overall, is above reproach. This stout does leave a gentle weight in the stomach, however, which - when combined with limited smell - detracts from total drinkability.

4.66/5  rDev +24.3%

Nice and creamy...one of my favorites. The used to be a crappy little restaurant in Peabody that served 26.oz Drafts of Murphys. Now it has turned into a TexMex place. Boy do i miss that crappy little restaurant.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not quite as black as guiness, doesn't lace like it either. One finger of malted milkball, nitro head. Soft smells of milk, chocolate, roasty grain. This is a creamy brew with herbal hop flavor upfront, roasted grain characters that are both fuller and softer than those of its cousins. Light sweetness comes out at the back. Has none of the metallic flavors of Guiness. I know this kind of like splitting hairs between BMC, but I think I favor this over Guiness or Beamish. It is really smooth and creamy and just more drinkable. Aftertaste really straddles coffee and chocolate. It is very light, and hard to decide which it is. In the mouthfeel dept. this is very light for stout, and silky-smooth.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Damn good stout. The nitro can is unique.

Presentation: 500 ml can with widget

What can I say I love Murphy's. Similar to Guinness but not as dry, a bit sweeter.I guess its as close you can get to the pub without actually going there. I love the bubbles cascading down effect while waiting for the beer to settle, lots of lacing. The head was smooth creamy slightly off white. Roasted nuts, bitter sweet Chocolate, Smokey.

Simply delicious and drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now this is a fine Irish stout much better than a Guinness I do believe but that's just my opinion well ok lets start this review.

Serving type 16 oz nitro can poured into my 22 oz mug glass.

Appearance: Just simply amazing quezzacotyl would be the word for it wonderful black body with a nice creamy tan head that stays! actually stays! it foams and dissapates to about 1 inch but still stays at 1 inch! now that's a beer.

Smell: Wonderful dark malty aromas, nice chocolate and coffee tones to the mix.

Taste and mouthfeel: Great I love it! creamy and smooth the way of the true beer as I call it the only reason I didn't give it fives was the lack of it's other flavours but that it being a stout it should'nt have all that pizazz but it ranks high among classic brews and after all who likes to drink a few GREAT beers and be wasted? not I.

Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited