1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy's Irish StoutMurphy's Irish Stout

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,715 | Reviews: 915 | Show All Ratings:
malibujohnny

4.88/5  rDev +30.5%

I had this at Celtic Mist a new irish pub in Springfield,IL. I have had this before but never on tap.Let me tell you a tale...of one of thee most fantastic beers I have ever had.As the native irish bartender poured me a pint,I lavished as the head formed.It took about 5 mins. before i would even take the first drink as the head needed to settle properly.The smell is fantastic,dark rich malty character with a smooth creamy head.And the taste is something to talk about,smooth as it glides on the tounge,a perfect balanced stout.This beer is so drinkable, I love it!! No one in their right mind would turn their nose up at this one.

10-06-2007 03:43:56 | More by malibujohnny
knoxtennessee

Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

This beer has just won the spot of "beer of my heart". The way it cascades upward into that perfect nitrogen head rises equal joy in my being. It's aroma is a bit understated but is still as comforting as a childs cup of hot coco. The flavor is where this stout really outshines the rest. It's as is someone took out that strange undesirable flavor from a Guiness and repaced it with smooth chocolate esspeso. The mouthfeel is a bit watery due to the nitrogen, but this seems to enhance the drinkability of this most fulfilling and simultaniously quaffable stout.

12-08-2010 20:35:07 | More by knoxtennessee
seydou

South Africa

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured out of a draught can.

The most aesthetically beautiful beer I've had. Pours thick, creamy, takes some time to settle out of a relaxed and bubbly tan into a perfect dark beer with a layer of thick creamy head that looks like icing on a cake.

Smells rich, and the taste is perfect. Just the right amount of bittery undertones and a clean, clean, clean drink. Tasting something like a bitter chocolate or a toasted nut of something. Just perfect. Smooth and thick without being bloaty-inducing.

Serving type: can

02-04-2014 02:40:45 | More by seydou
hockeyhead

Colorado

poured into tulip glass
A: poured ruby red almost black like with a tan dense head like most other nitrogen stouts
S: smells of sweet chocalate malt maybe hints of coffee and nice nuttieness
T: sweet chocolate almond notes goes down than dry bitter finish with a lingering licorice flavor mmm
M: thick and velvety goes down so smooth it seems you drink it too fast
D: i love this beer my favorite stout from ireland my opion way better than guinness

09-02-2009 05:00:52 | More by hockeyhead
ant5431

Rhode Island

4.75/5  rDev +27%

Another great Irish Stout! Looks, smells, tastes exceptional! Was a little disappointed when one of my favorite bars stopped serving Guinness then They handed me a Murphy's and I had nothing to complain about I was all smiles! I now go out of my way for this great beer! I had some delicious corn beef & cabbage & 4 or 5 Murphy's on St. Patty's day nothing better made me wish I was Irish!

03-21-2011 20:27:48 | More by ant5431
Crafts_and_recreation

4.75/5  rDev +27%

A: This stout pours beautifully out of the Draughtflow can with a pitch black hue and clouds that settle nicely. Comes to a rich, velvety head that retains a nice lacing.

S: The aroma is subtle compared to most stouts. It has a pleasant coffee-like scent but nothing really stands out too much; just very clean and a hint of sweetness.

T: Coffee and chocolatey malts come to the front with just a touch of bittersweetness on the back end. This stout is quite balanced without too much sweet or hops. It's a full bodied flavor with a hint of roasted barley in the mix.

M: Smooth and rich without feeling too thick. The head is a velvety texture that sticks around and blends very well with each sip. Full bodied without being heavy, it washes over the palate with just the right amount of crispness at the finish.

O: A solid stout that covers all the bases. I love the way it pours and dances across the palate from first sip to final drop with its fresh coffee flavor and smooth finish. I'd highly recommend Murphy's for any occasion!

Serving type: can

09-30-2013 22:52:14 | More by Crafts_and_recreation
JasonCoop

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%

pours a dark opaque black with nice foamy beige head

smells like malty bitter chocolate with tiny hint of coffee

taste is excellent. full-bodied, chocolatey delicious. subtle coffee notes blend with the bitter chocolate backbone. great.

mouthfeel is full and creamy and great. an easily drinkable stout. this is one of my favorites for its pleasant chocolatey taste. not as good as the young's double chocolate though. but not bad at all, underrated on here in my opinion. one of my old favorites.

12-19-2005 07:45:09 | More by JasonCoop
xXTequila

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

Nice and creamy...one of my favorites. The used to be a crappy little restaurant in Peabody that served 26.oz Drafts of Murphys. Now it has turned into a TexMex place. Boy do i miss that crappy little restaurant.

10-03-2001 11:46:19 | More by xXTequila
theozag

Louisiana

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

In the absense of Guiness Extra Stout, Murhpy's Irish Stout is my drink of choice. Well, truth be told, just about any stout is my drink of choice, but Murphy's is a darn good stout.

Pours a caramel brown that tumbles into a jet black beauty with a near-white, creamy head. It's smell is so faint, to my nose anyway, that I can hardly detect any aroma at all. This stout starts smooth and malty with a bit of chocolate or dark creme flavoring. It is - of course - full-bodied with gentle flavors and a wheat or barley thickness to the beer. Letting a bit of the head onto your tongue only serves to highlight that wheat flavor. This stout finishes strong, dry, and smooth with a pleasant bit of aftertaste. Mouthfeel, overall, is above reproach. This stout does leave a gentle weight in the stomach, however, which - when combined with limited smell - detracts from total drinkability.

11-02-2003 19:26:58 | More by theozag
nitroterrance

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

I have Murphy's stout on tap in my basement pub and really enjoy this stout. The head is thick and creamy with a black body. The smell is a roasted smell with a chocolaty hint. The mouth feel is creamy smooth and tasty. The taste is complex and outstanding. Starts malty and finishes chocolaty smooth. Love this stout, not as dry and more flavorful than Guinness, more complex and tastier than beamish. I think it's the best irish nitro stout.

01-19-2006 01:04:43 | More by nitroterrance
beeragent

4.7/5  rDev +25.7%

It doesnt get any better than this! Guinness is good, but I'll take this over Guinness any day. Poured into a pint glass, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, forming a creamy 1 inch head. The aroma is of milk chocolate and roasted malt. The taste is fantastic! Sweet, slight chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, but is still enjoyable. Overall, this is a great stout, and a very easy session beer. This is easily one of my favorite stouts available on the market in this area.

12-30-2006 08:13:52 | More by beeragent
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

Throw your oatmeal away! Murphys pours and is truly alive inside as you watch the bubbles "rain up" the glass. a cool visual experience. black as oil and a head like pudding. thick and creamy, yet increadibly smooth. a wonderful irish stout. dry and frothy dark malty taste with hints of coffee or dark chocolate. truly a staple of an irishmans diet. so drinkable you wont even realize your drunk until youve soiled your trousers in the wagon!

12-14-2007 06:32:46 | More by AKBelgianBeast
yax75

Alberta (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

Ok this was my first time having this beer, and I was blown away by it. It was so smooth and creamy, and not just in appearance but in flavor, and mouthfeel. The color was dark and luxurious, with and nice firm long lasting head. The aroma was full of roasty goodness, and malt. I can definitely see why some people prefer this stout over a Guinness, its less astringent for one, but me I prefer both just because of their differences. If you can find this on tap try it, I have never had it from the can mind yah. The worst part about this beer was patiently waiting for the bartender to pour it.

05-22-2010 18:28:11 | More by yax75
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not quite as black as guiness, doesn't lace like it either. One finger of malted milkball, nitro head. Soft smells of milk, chocolate, roasty grain. This is a creamy brew with herbal hop flavor upfront, roasted grain characters that are both fuller and softer than those of its cousins. Light sweetness comes out at the back. Has none of the metallic flavors of Guiness. I know this kind of like splitting hairs between BMC, but I think I favor this over Guiness or Beamish. It is really smooth and creamy and just more drinkable. Aftertaste really straddles coffee and chocolate. It is very light, and hard to decide which it is. In the mouthfeel dept. this is very light for stout, and silky-smooth.

02-25-2007 07:03:10 | More by JudgeRoughneck
Newglarusguy

Wisconsin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now this is a fine Irish stout much better than a Guinness I do believe but that's just my opinion well ok lets start this review.

Serving type 16 oz nitro can poured into my 22 oz mug glass.

Appearance: Just simply amazing quezzacotyl would be the word for it wonderful black body with a nice creamy tan head that stays! actually stays! it foams and dissapates to about 1 inch but still stays at 1 inch! now that's a beer.

Smell: Wonderful dark malty aromas, nice chocolate and coffee tones to the mix.

Taste and mouthfeel: Great I love it! creamy and smooth the way of the true beer as I call it the only reason I didn't give it fives was the lack of it's other flavours but that it being a stout it should'nt have all that pizazz but it ranks high among classic brews and after all who likes to drink a few GREAT beers and be wasted? not I.

03-20-2007 05:10:18 | More by Newglarusguy
Faune

Presentation: 500 ml can with widget

What can I say I love Murphy's. Similar to Guinness but not as dry, a bit sweeter.I guess its as close you can get to the pub without actually going there. I love the bubbles cascading down effect while waiting for the beer to settle, lots of lacing. The head was smooth creamy slightly off white. Roasted nuts, bitter sweet Chocolate, Smokey.

Simply delicious and drinkable.

04-06-2009 21:21:10 | More by Faune
doerickson

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

Okay, okay, I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for nitro-draft stouts, and Murphy's is no exception. Viscous black color with a thick tan froth. Coffee and chocolate aromas. Mouthfeel is as creamy as it looks. Flavors of mocha and cocoa, with a hop bitterness toward the finish. Couldn't be easier to drink. Sign me up.

10-04-2002 22:26:16 | More by doerickson
ChefSchipull

Arizona

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: Pours like chocolate milk out of the nitro can, gorgeous! Very nice 1/2 inch creamy head on top that lingers the whole way down the glass.

Smell: "Goodbye Guinness!" Murphy's stout is very well rounded even in the smell. Good roasted malts, as well as a definite whiff of chocolate, and bitter.

Taste: Cant pick up too much more flavor than what it smells like.

Mouthfeel: This brew is very smooth, very little carbonation, a little meatier than guinness in my opinion which makes it appealing.

Drinkability: The smoothness and the low alcohol content (4%), makes this beer easy to drink with all types of food or just as a casual cold one.

I would definitely recommend this beer, its one of the best irish stouts I've tried so far.

10-17-2005 23:21:26 | More by ChefSchipull
MentorBeerGuy

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

Been drinking this stuff for a long-time and felt like doing a review after last night's session.

A: Pours jet black with a nice 1-inch caramel head that stayed well into the pint.

S: Roasted malts and coffee are present, but definitely not overbearing. Like other milk/dry stouts, the lack of aroma compared to RIS and other dark ales is not indicitive of the taste.

T: Burnt toast and coffee are the 1st flavors revealed. Some dark chocolate bitterness on the backend but not at all offputting. This is where it puts Guinness to shame. Great roasted flavor but none of the bitterness that it's Irish rival leaves on the palette.

M: Much the same as Guinness, its quite a thick beer with very little carbonation. Think a happy medium between 1% and 2% milk. Very creamy/smooth like a milkshake that has melted away.

D: Murphy's bread and butter. I've never understood why people have labeled most dry stouts hard to drink. The mouthfeel is heavy, but the low ABV and low calorie count make Murphy's easy to drown in.

Overall, a prime example of the style and without a doubt my favorite session beer.

12-31-2009 17:36:14 | More by MentorBeerGuy
vazy

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

A- dark brown with nitro bubbles rushing down. As they settle it turns into a charcoal black color. The head sticks around and leaves a thick lacing till the bottle of the glass.

S- roasty coffee like aroma is prominent with subtle sweet vanilla-like fragrance coming through at the end.

T- a rich and hearty expresso flavor hits the tongue at first with a light chocolate undertone.

M- on the heavy side with the a smooth side though.

D- A very tasty beer. The flavor was complex, rich and inviting. An overall enjoyable beer that I took a liking too.

02-20-2010 22:23:33 | More by vazy
the42ndtourist

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I've been wanting to try some Murphy's for a couple years now, but haven't been able to find it in the ruralness of my home area. It's definitely worth it. It has the typical thick head and black colouring of a stout, but the taste is smoother and more refined than Guinness. This means that it is also more drinkable than Guinness as well.
Now I need to find some of their Amber.

08-02-2002 08:54:37 | More by the42ndtourist
klintok21

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

My second favorite stout, only preceded by Sierra Nevada. This is so much better than Guiness. Much more flavor, more creamy... more everything. Just a smaller more unknown brand. It seems to be VERY hard to find in the USA.... My local 'podunk' liquor store carries this on a regular basis (thank goodness). Even the famous West Michigan Irish Pub doesn't carry this stuff... and when I asked they said it wasn't available in the US, lol. If you find it try it... Otherwise go for a Sierra Nevada Stout, or just as rare a Beamish.

05-12-2009 05:42:21 | More by klintok21
jseekamp84

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

A - The beer was poured into a 16oz. plastic container which probably didn't help the appearance in any manner but it still looked very impressive. Clearly defined beer head and good separation.

S - deep burnt "coffee-like" smell, overall enjoyable to smell.

T - I expected a somewhat Guiness-like taste but felt this beer to taste completely different AND a lot better. Typically, while drinking Guiness it takes time to drink, for me to be able to palate the taste, with this I took my time instead to enjoy the taste.

M - very good "chocolate"-like flavor profile.

D - I took my time drinking this beer because of its superior taste and smell. One of my most enjoyable beer experiences in a while.

11-02-2009 23:38:43 | More by jseekamp84
Dster

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Maybe I'm a sucker for the style. Which I think should always have high drinkablity or it is missing the point.

Appearance: sexy, black, opaque with tan silky head.

Smell: Faint but smells of chocolate and coffee

Taste: Low carbonation, not overly complicated, taste of iced coffee and toasted nuts on the back of the tounge

Drinkabilty is killer because of low carbonation and straight forward tase

01-23-2010 05:38:55 | More by Dster
thegodfather2701

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

A-Black with auburn hues. Thick, rich, creamy off white head that lasts the entire drinking experience. Nice cascading and lacing.

S-Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some licorice.

T-Just like the nose roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, licorice, and a hint of toffee. None of the flavors are overwhelming its very balanced and easy drinking. It is very smooth and creamy.

M-Thick and creamy.

D-This beer is delicious and its not too heavy, it seems kind of light in comparison to American Stouts, and it has a low abv. making it a session beer all the way. I could drink many pints of this with no problem.

Overall, I doubted this was going to be better than Guinness but it was. It tastes better, feels better, and is smoother. It is delicious and I plan on drinking it again in the near future.

02-16-2011 13:25:22 | More by thegodfather2701