Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy's Irish StoutMurphy's Irish Stout

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 960 | Hads: 2,202
4.87/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in a local Irish pub. Appearance is outstanding with a completely black body and creamy head. The aroma is a rich milk-chocolate. The taste is a blend of caramel and malt, smooth and perfectly balanced. The feel is less heavy and less bitter than Guinness Draught. Overall a very drinkable stout and I'll do a "Clancy" with Guinness Draught if I want a little heavier stout. (406 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +31.1%

I had this at Celtic Mist a new irish pub in Springfield,IL. I have had this before but never on tap.Let me tell you a tale...of one of thee most fantastic beers I have ever had.As the native irish bartender poured me a pint,I lavished as the head formed.It took about 5 mins. before i would even take the first drink as the head needed to settle properly.The smell is fantastic,dark rich malty character with a smooth creamy head.And the taste is something to talk about,smooth as it glides on the tounge,a perfect balanced stout.This beer is so drinkable, I love it!! No one in their right mind would turn their nose up at this one. (634 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%

This beer has just won the spot of "beer of my heart". The way it cascades upward into that perfect nitrogen head rises equal joy in my being. It's aroma is a bit understated but is still as comforting as a childs cup of hot coco. The flavor is where this stout really outshines the rest. It's as is someone took out that strange undesirable flavor from a Guiness and repaced it with smooth chocolate esspeso. The mouthfeel is a bit watery due to the nitrogen, but this seems to enhance the drinkability of this most fulfilling and simultaniously quaffable stout. (563 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured out of a draught can.

The most aesthetically beautiful beer I've had. Pours thick, creamy, takes some time to settle out of a relaxed and bubbly tan into a perfect dark beer with a layer of thick creamy head that looks like icing on a cake.

Smells rich, and the taste is perfect. Just the right amount of bittery undertones and a clean, clean, clean drink. Tasting something like a bitter chocolate or a toasted nut of something. Just perfect. Smooth and thick without being bloaty-inducing. (502 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

If you think the U.S. Murphy's is good try a draft when you are in Ireland. It's smoother than a baby's butt. No aftertaste. Could drink this all day. (150 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Guinness' big rival, and fuller-flavoured little brother. It took me longer to get into this one, and for a few years, I found it just to rich and heavy. Not so now; in fact, it is arguably becoming my favourite beer.

Look - Same as Guinness Draught, though darker, with a bigger head.

Smell - Reminiscent of being in a seaside Irish pub - one can just imagine the little packets of brown sauce on the table, fresh fish and chips being prepared, the ever-changing weather outside. A bit of sourness in the scent, with a stronger roasted barley nose.

Taste - Full-flavoured. More bitter than Guinness, a bit of sour smokiness that lingers for a long time. Lots of roasted malt, some chocolate and coffee.

Feel - Where Guinness is milky, Murphy's is creamy. Rich, luxuriant.

Overall, a beautiful beer. Due to Canada's ridiculously bizarre liquor laws, it is absolutely unavailable outside of a good Irish pub that will likely charge one exorbitant prices for a pint of said beer. Truly tragic. If you can get it on tap somewhere, take it over Guinness and allow yourself some time to make acquaintance with it. You won't regret it. (1,134 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +27.3%

Another great Irish Stout! Looks, smells, tastes exceptional! Was a little disappointed when one of my favorite bars stopped serving Guinness then They handed me a Murphy's and I had nothing to complain about I was all smiles! I now go out of my way for this great beer! I had some delicious corn beef & cabbage & 4 or 5 Murphy's on St. Patty's day nothing better made me wish I was Irish! (389 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +27.3%

A: This stout pours beautifully out of the Draughtflow can with a pitch black hue and clouds that settle nicely. Comes to a rich, velvety head that retains a nice lacing.

S: The aroma is subtle compared to most stouts. It has a pleasant coffee-like scent but nothing really stands out too much; just very clean and a hint of sweetness.

T: Coffee and chocolatey malts come to the front with just a touch of bittersweetness on the back end. This stout is quite balanced without too much sweet or hops. It's a full bodied flavor with a hint of roasted barley in the mix.

M: Smooth and rich without feeling too thick. The head is a velvety texture that sticks around and blends very well with each sip. Full bodied without being heavy, it washes over the palate with just the right amount of crispness at the finish.

O: A solid stout that covers all the bases. I love the way it pours and dances across the palate from first sip to final drop with its fresh coffee flavor and smooth finish. I'd highly recommend Murphy's for any occasion! (1,042 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +27%

poured into tulip glass
A: poured ruby red almost black like with a tan dense head like most other nitrogen stouts
S: smells of sweet chocalate malt maybe hints of coffee and nice nuttieness
T: sweet chocolate almond notes goes down than dry bitter finish with a lingering licorice flavor mmm
M: thick and velvety goes down so smooth it seems you drink it too fast
D: i love this beer my favorite stout from ireland my opion way better than guinness (449 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Throw your oatmeal away! Murphys pours and is truly alive inside as you watch the bubbles "rain up" the glass. a cool visual experience. black as oil and a head like pudding. thick and creamy, yet increadibly smooth. a wonderful irish stout. dry and frothy dark malty taste with hints of coffee or dark chocolate. truly a staple of an irishmans diet. so drinkable you wont even realize your drunk until youve soiled your trousers in the wagon! (443 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

It doesnt get any better than this! Guinness is good, but I'll take this over Guinness any day. Poured into a pint glass, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, forming a creamy 1 inch head. The aroma is of milk chocolate and roasted malt. The taste is fantastic! Sweet, slight chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, but is still enjoyable. Overall, this is a great stout, and a very easy session beer. This is easily one of my favorite stouts available on the market in this area. (530 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

pours a dark opaque black with nice foamy beige head

smells like malty bitter chocolate with tiny hint of coffee

taste is excellent. full-bodied, chocolatey delicious. subtle coffee notes blend with the bitter chocolate backbone. great.

mouthfeel is full and creamy and great. an easily drinkable stout. this is one of my favorites for its pleasant chocolatey taste. not as good as the young's double chocolate though. but not bad at all, underrated on here in my opinion. one of my old favorites. (506 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%

I have Murphy's stout on tap in my basement pub and really enjoy this stout. The head is thick and creamy with a black body. The smell is a roasted smell with a chocolaty hint. The mouth feel is creamy smooth and tasty. The taste is complex and outstanding. Starts malty and finishes chocolaty smooth. Love this stout, not as dry and more flavorful than Guinness, more complex and tastier than beamish. I think it's the best irish nitro stout. (443 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%

In the absense of Guiness Extra Stout, Murhpy's Irish Stout is my drink of choice. Well, truth be told, just about any stout is my drink of choice, but Murphy's is a darn good stout.

Pours a caramel brown that tumbles into a jet black beauty with a near-white, creamy head. It's smell is so faint, to my nose anyway, that I can hardly detect any aroma at all. This stout starts smooth and malty with a bit of chocolate or dark creme flavoring. It is - of course - full-bodied with gentle flavors and a wheat or barley thickness to the beer. Letting a bit of the head onto your tongue only serves to highlight that wheat flavor. This stout finishes strong, dry, and smooth with a pleasant bit of aftertaste. Mouthfeel, overall, is above reproach. This stout does leave a gentle weight in the stomach, however, which - when combined with limited smell - detracts from total drinkability. (889 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%

Nice and creamy...one of my favorites. The used to be a crappy little restaurant in Peabody that served 26.oz Drafts of Murphys. Now it has turned into a TexMex place. Boy do i miss that crappy little restaurant. (212 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not quite as black as guiness, doesn't lace like it either. One finger of malted milkball, nitro head. Soft smells of milk, chocolate, roasty grain. This is a creamy brew with herbal hop flavor upfront, roasted grain characters that are both fuller and softer than those of its cousins. Light sweetness comes out at the back. Has none of the metallic flavors of Guiness. I know this kind of like splitting hairs between BMC, but I think I favor this over Guiness or Beamish. It is really smooth and creamy and just more drinkable. Aftertaste really straddles coffee and chocolate. It is very light, and hard to decide which it is. In the mouthfeel dept. this is very light for stout, and silky-smooth. (701 characters)

Presentation: 500 ml can with widget

What can I say I love Murphy's. Similar to Guinness but not as dry, a bit sweeter.I guess its as close you can get to the pub without actually going there. I love the bubbles cascading down effect while waiting for the beer to settle, lots of lacing. The head was smooth creamy slightly off white. Roasted nuts, bitter sweet Chocolate, Smokey.

Simply delicious and drinkable. (416 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now this is a fine Irish stout much better than a Guinness I do believe but that's just my opinion well ok lets start this review.

Serving type 16 oz nitro can poured into my 22 oz mug glass.

Appearance: Just simply amazing quezzacotyl would be the word for it wonderful black body with a nice creamy tan head that stays! actually stays! it foams and dissapates to about 1 inch but still stays at 1 inch! now that's a beer.

Smell: Wonderful dark malty aromas, nice chocolate and coffee tones to the mix.

Taste and mouthfeel: Great I love it! creamy and smooth the way of the true beer as I call it the only reason I didn't give it fives was the lack of it's other flavours but that it being a stout it should'nt have all that pizazz but it ranks high among classic brews and after all who likes to drink a few GREAT beers and be wasted? not I. (855 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance: Pours like chocolate milk out of the nitro can, gorgeous! Very nice 1/2 inch creamy head on top that lingers the whole way down the glass.

Smell: "Goodbye Guinness!" Murphy's stout is very well rounded even in the smell. Good roasted malts, as well as a definite whiff of chocolate, and bitter.

Taste: Cant pick up too much more flavor than what it smells like.

Mouthfeel: This brew is very smooth, very little carbonation, a little meatier than guinness in my opinion which makes it appealing.

Drinkability: The smoothness and the low alcohol content (4%), makes this beer easy to drink with all types of food or just as a casual cold one.

I would definitely recommend this beer, its one of the best irish stouts I've tried so far. (759 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

Ok this was my first time having this beer, and I was blown away by it. It was so smooth and creamy, and not just in appearance but in flavor, and mouthfeel. The color was dark and luxurious, with and nice firm long lasting head. The aroma was full of roasty goodness, and malt. I can definitely see why some people prefer this stout over a Guinness, its less astringent for one, but me I prefer both just because of their differences. If you can find this on tap try it, I have never had it from the can mind yah. The worst part about this beer was patiently waiting for the bartender to pour it. (597 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +23.2%

Okay, okay, I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for nitro-draft stouts, and Murphy's is no exception. Viscous black color with a thick tan froth. Coffee and chocolate aromas. Mouthfeel is as creamy as it looks. Flavors of mocha and cocoa, with a hop bitterness toward the finish. Couldn't be easier to drink. Sign me up. (312 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I've been wanting to try some Murphy's for a couple years now, but haven't been able to find it in the ruralness of my home area. It's definitely worth it. It has the typical thick head and black colouring of a stout, but the taste is smoother and more refined than Guinness. This means that it is also more drinkable than Guinness as well.
Now I need to find some of their Amber. (389 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%

Maybe I'm a sucker for the style. Which I think should always have high drinkablity or it is missing the point.

Appearance: sexy, black, opaque with tan silky head.

Smell: Faint but smells of chocolate and coffee

Taste: Low carbonation, not overly complicated, taste of iced coffee and toasted nuts on the back of the tounge

Drinkabilty is killer because of low carbonation and straight forward tase (403 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%

A-Black with auburn hues. Thick, rich, creamy off white head that lasts the entire drinking experience. Nice cascading and lacing.

S-Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some licorice.

T-Just like the nose roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, licorice, and a hint of toffee. None of the flavors are overwhelming its very balanced and easy drinking. It is very smooth and creamy.

M-Thick and creamy.

D-This beer is delicious and its not too heavy, it seems kind of light in comparison to American Stouts, and it has a low abv. making it a session beer all the way. I could drink many pints of this with no problem.

Overall, I doubted this was going to be better than Guinness but it was. It tastes better, feels better, and is smoother. It is delicious and I plan on drinking it again in the near future. (805 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%

A- dark brown with nitro bubbles rushing down. As they settle it turns into a charcoal black color. The head sticks around and leaves a thick lacing till the bottle of the glass.

S- roasty coffee like aroma is prominent with subtle sweet vanilla-like fragrance coming through at the end.

T- a rich and hearty expresso flavor hits the tongue at first with a light chocolate undertone.

M- on the heavy side with the a smooth side though.

D- A very tasty beer. The flavor was complex, rich and inviting. An overall enjoyable beer that I took a liking too. (556 characters)

Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited