Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
Hopheadjeffery

03-17-2012 18:14:52 | More by Robb
Casey_Butt

Newfoundland (Canada)

1.6/5  rDev -57.2%

If it were possible to be worse than Guinness Guinness Draught this would be it. Thin, watery, bitter, flat... tastes like something gone bad. Doesn't look bad, smell too bad or have a bad mouth feel, but it tastes so bad it's hard to finish a can.

05-31-2014 19:04:35 | More by Casey_Butt

05-12-2012 17:01:50 | More by RedDeath987
rickyleepotts

Arizona

1.84/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

In the Glass: This beer poured thick, and with a TON of bubbles. Not overly carbonated, but just the way this style was pours. If you ever see a bar pour a Guinness, a similar style, they will take several minutes to properly pour the beer. I am not sure the saying… but I think it is supposed to take 90 seconds, or more to properly pour a Guinness. That is what this beer reminds me of. The head, by the time the beer settles, is thick and creamy. That is the best way to explain this beer. Creamy. The beer has a nice lace, too.

Nose: There isn't a lot of aroma here, but what I am getting is a hint of chocolate. I have to take a deep breath to get much. I am also blown away with the low ABV on this can. 4% isn't even enough to write home about. Of course, at 4% I could drink a gallon of this and not even know it! I hope the flavor is better than the aroma.

Flavor: This is better than Guinness… a little more flavor than Guinness. Sorry I keep comparing this beer to that, but that is what it reminds me of. I just took a bite of BBQ, and they were right… it IS a good pairing. I must say, I wouldn't order this in a bar. I WOULD order this when in Ireland, but I wouldn't order it here. Beers over there taste better, anyway.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. It looked creamy in the glass and has a very thick and creamy mouthfeel. I bet this beer would taste best room temperature in a room temperature glass. Typically I like beers with low carbonation, and while there are a lot of bubbles in the glass, the beer isn't very carbonated. I even swished the last drink around in my mouth, and nothing. Quite frankly, the flavor is boring. I will say I am not getting the metallic flavor that I expect from most Irish dry stouts.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? I drink, there is a hint of flavor, and then it's gone again. There is literally no aftertaste here. I also like how they spell draft. On the can it says, "DRAUGHT STYLE". That is not how you spell draft! Oh well. I will give this beer credit for the style… but just not for me.

Serving type: can

05-16-2013 20:21:20 | More by rickyleepotts
schanker21

1.85/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this on-tap just for the hell of it. I've had it canned before, and my beer tastes have developed quite a bit since then, but still, this tastes almost exactly like Guinness draft.. I don't understand the high rating on here. It looks neat when poured due to the nitro, however, it still tastes like someone took a very mediocre stout and added a whole bunch of water. Well overpriced for what you get. I will not give this beer three strikes; two tries were enough for Murphy's.

01-30-2010 21:38:59 | More by schanker21
maxpower

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev -50.5%

Nitro bottle, pours thin black color, creamy foamy tan nitro head, light roasty aroma. Roasted malt flavor, has a dry semi bitter finish, thin and watery mouthfeel, like Guinnes and Beamish IMHO they are overrated and pretty weak.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

12-28-2002 14:37:59 | More by maxpower
longbongsilver

Missouri

1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Really wanted a stout, but didn't have imperial money. Spotted this loose on a mix'n'match rack, haggled my way into a deal on a single (didn't want to get a pack in case I didn't like the first one). Fills mug a burnt brown that gets darker as the widget-influenced foam settles, very thick firm inch of head. As far as presentation goes, it's exactly what I expected for a basic stout, advertises itself OK. Let's see how accurate that is...

I have my answer: "not very". Was expecting creamy, got watery. Expected significant malt, got watered-down black coffee. Goes down easy, but isn't really giving me further reason for it to. No real distinction, and the only thing worse to me than a bad taste is no taste.

Congratulations, Murphy's. You've become my first drain pour.

06-05-2010 02:20:57 | More by longbongsilver
DPuro329

1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

Based on a friends recommendation I picked up some Murphy's Irish Stout in the pub draft can, to be honest I wasn't impressed.
I poured it into a clean glass. It had a dark body but a thin head which surprised me. It had a slight malty smell, but had what I thought was a stale odor. The taste was bland with not much malt or any real flavor which really surprised me. The feel was watery and average and the overall drinkability quite boring. I don't think I'll drink it again.

02-15-2007 01:16:45 | More by DPuro329

erikkk

05-05-2014 03:39:41 | More by erikkk
ZenAgnostic

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

Nitro 1 pint can poured into a Guinness glass. No date, but some cryptic markings on bottom.

Appearance - Tan pancake batter head. Black body with sheets of brown nitro bubbles cascading down the sides.

Smell - Faint coffee and soy sauce. Almost no smell whatsoever, then again that's not suprising when drinking it at the recommended "chilled" temperature.

Taste - Stale metallic water. Coffee. Chocolate. In order of prominence.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Mildly astringent. The head foam offers no creaminess or texture; it has the consistency of air.

Overall Drinkability - No redeeming qualities other than perhaps the sixer-mixer price of $1.50 per can.

10-20-2011 19:17:49 | More by ZenAgnostic
Poser

Alabama

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

Best presentation is in a snifter. Dark black body with extreme lacing from the tan head. I find the aroma a bit weak -- roasted malts with a hint of coffee. I can barely smell it, though, and it's in a snifter. The taste is the same. A very dry finish. I'm not well-versed on pasteurized beer, but I found it to be a little too smooth and milky. The drinkability gets knocked down a bit because it upset my stomach a little.

Overall, it goes down a lot like Guinness with a nitro can. I have a friend who swears by this stuff, so I'll probably give him the rest of my 4-pack. I can see how it might be enjoyable to some, I guess, but it's not for me.

09-05-2007 01:34:56 | More by Poser
dcook11

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

A- Great look. dark brown that fades into dark black at the finish of the pour. Nice creamy off white two finger head.

S- Coffee. roasted malt. Chocolate.

T- Too watery for me. Could have made everything alot stronger taste wise. I am a fan of IS's so too me this just does not do it.

M- Odd metal taste.