Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros

Hopheadjeffery, Dec 22, 2012

Jaco-B, Jul 09, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

Robb, Mar 17, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -57.2%

If it were possible to be worse than Guinness Guinness Draught this would be it. Thin, watery, bitter, flat... tastes like something gone bad. Doesn't look bad, smell too bad or have a bad mouth feel, but it tastes so bad it's hard to finish a can.

Casey_Butt, May 31, 2014

Nihilistkid, Apr 15, 2012

ESimmons, Apr 02, 2014

RedDeath987, May 12, 2012
1.84/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

In the Glass: This beer poured thick, and with a TON of bubbles. Not overly carbonated, but just the way this style was pours. If you ever see a bar pour a Guinness, a similar style, they will take several minutes to properly pour the beer. I am not sure the saying… but I think it is supposed to take 90 seconds, or more to properly pour a Guinness. That is what this beer reminds me of. The head, by the time the beer settles, is thick and creamy. That is the best way to explain this beer. Creamy. The beer has a nice lace, too.

Nose: There isn't a lot of aroma here, but what I am getting is a hint of chocolate. I have to take a deep breath to get much. I am also blown away with the low ABV on this can. 4% isn't even enough to write home about. Of course, at 4% I could drink a gallon of this and not even know it! I hope the flavor is better than the aroma.

Flavor: This is better than Guinness… a little more flavor than Guinness. Sorry I keep comparing this beer to that, but that is what it reminds me of. I just took a bite of BBQ, and they were right… it IS a good pairing. I must say, I wouldn't order this in a bar. I WOULD order this when in Ireland, but I wouldn't order it here. Beers over there taste better, anyway.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. It looked creamy in the glass and has a very thick and creamy mouthfeel. I bet this beer would taste best room temperature in a room temperature glass. Typically I like beers with low carbonation, and while there are a lot of bubbles in the glass, the beer isn't very carbonated. I even swished the last drink around in my mouth, and nothing. Quite frankly, the flavor is boring. I will say I am not getting the metallic flavor that I expect from most Irish dry stouts.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? I drink, there is a hint of flavor, and then it's gone again. There is literally no aftertaste here. I also like how they spell draft. On the can it says, "DRAUGHT STYLE". That is not how you spell draft! Oh well. I will give this beer credit for the style… but just not for me.

rickyleepotts, May 16, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this on-tap just for the hell of it. I've had it canned before, and my beer tastes have developed quite a bit since then, but still, this tastes almost exactly like Guinness draft.. I don't understand the high rating on here. It looks neat when poured due to the nitro, however, it still tastes like someone took a very mediocre stout and added a whole bunch of water. Well overpriced for what you get. I will not give this beer three strikes; two tries were enough for Murphy's.

schanker21, Jan 30, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -50.5%

Nitro bottle, pours thin black color, creamy foamy tan nitro head, light roasty aroma. Roasted malt flavor, has a dry semi bitter finish, thin and watery mouthfeel, like Guinnes and Beamish IMHO they are overrated and pretty weak.

maxpower, Dec 28, 2002
1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Really wanted a stout, but didn't have imperial money. Spotted this loose on a mix'n'match rack, haggled my way into a deal on a single (didn't want to get a pack in case I didn't like the first one). Fills mug a burnt brown that gets darker as the widget-influenced foam settles, very thick firm inch of head. As far as presentation goes, it's exactly what I expected for a basic stout, advertises itself OK. Let's see how accurate that is...

I have my answer: "not very". Was expecting creamy, got watery. Expected significant malt, got watered-down black coffee. Goes down easy, but isn't really giving me further reason for it to. No real distinction, and the only thing worse to me than a bad taste is no taste.

Congratulations, Murphy's. You've become my first drain pour.

longbongsilver, Jun 05, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

Based on a friends recommendation I picked up some Murphy's Irish Stout in the pub draft can, to be honest I wasn't impressed.
I poured it into a clean glass. It had a dark body but a thin head which surprised me. It had a slight malty smell, but had what I thought was a stale odor. The taste was bland with not much malt or any real flavor which really surprised me. The feel was watery and average and the overall drinkability quite boring. I don't think I'll drink it again.

DPuro329, Feb 15, 2007

Jerid, Sep 15, 2012

pkenkman, Apr 29, 2013

erikkk, May 05, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

Nitro 1 pint can poured into a Guinness glass. No date, but some cryptic markings on bottom.

Appearance - Tan pancake batter head. Black body with sheets of brown nitro bubbles cascading down the sides.

Smell - Faint coffee and soy sauce. Almost no smell whatsoever, then again that's not suprising when drinking it at the recommended "chilled" temperature.

Taste - Stale metallic water. Coffee. Chocolate. In order of prominence.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Mildly astringent. The head foam offers no creaminess or texture; it has the consistency of air.

Overall Drinkability - No redeeming qualities other than perhaps the sixer-mixer price of $1.50 per can.

ZenAgnostic, Oct 20, 2011