1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy's Irish StoutMurphy's Irish Stout

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,717 | Reviews: 915 | Show All Ratings:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

1.84/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

In the Glass: This beer poured thick, and with a TON of bubbles. Not overly carbonated, but just the way this style was pours. If you ever see a bar pour a Guinness, a similar style, they will take several minutes to properly pour the beer. I am not sure the saying… but I think it is supposed to take 90 seconds, or more to properly pour a Guinness. That is what this beer reminds me of. The head, by the time the beer settles, is thick and creamy. That is the best way to explain this beer. Creamy. The beer has a nice lace, too.

Nose: There isn't a lot of aroma here, but what I am getting is a hint of chocolate. I have to take a deep breath to get much. I am also blown away with the low ABV on this can. 4% isn't even enough to write home about. Of course, at 4% I could drink a gallon of this and not even know it! I hope the flavor is better than the aroma.

Flavor: This is better than Guinness… a little more flavor than Guinness. Sorry I keep comparing this beer to that, but that is what it reminds me of. I just took a bite of BBQ, and they were right… it IS a good pairing. I must say, I wouldn't order this in a bar. I WOULD order this when in Ireland, but I wouldn't order it here. Beers over there taste better, anyway.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. It looked creamy in the glass and has a very thick and creamy mouthfeel. I bet this beer would taste best room temperature in a room temperature glass. Typically I like beers with low carbonation, and while there are a lot of bubbles in the glass, the beer isn't very carbonated. I even swished the last drink around in my mouth, and nothing. Quite frankly, the flavor is boring. I will say I am not getting the metallic flavor that I expect from most Irish dry stouts.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? I drink, there is a hint of flavor, and then it's gone again. There is literally no aftertaste here. I also like how they spell draft. On the can it says, "DRAUGHT STYLE". That is not how you spell draft! Oh well. I will give this beer credit for the style… but just not for me.

05-16-2013 20:21:20 | More by rickyleepotts
maxpower

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev -50.5%

Nitro bottle, pours thin black color, creamy foamy tan nitro head, light roasty aroma. Roasted malt flavor, has a dry semi bitter finish, thin and watery mouthfeel, like Guinnes and Beamish IMHO they are overrated and pretty weak.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

12-28-2002 14:37:59 | More by maxpower
schanker21

1.85/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this on-tap just for the hell of it. I've had it canned before, and my beer tastes have developed quite a bit since then, but still, this tastes almost exactly like Guinness draft.. I don't understand the high rating on here. It looks neat when poured due to the nitro, however, it still tastes like someone took a very mediocre stout and added a whole bunch of water. Well overpriced for what you get. I will not give this beer three strikes; two tries were enough for Murphy's.

01-30-2010 21:38:59 | More by schanker21
longbongsilver

Missouri

1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Really wanted a stout, but didn't have imperial money. Spotted this loose on a mix'n'match rack, haggled my way into a deal on a single (didn't want to get a pack in case I didn't like the first one). Fills mug a burnt brown that gets darker as the widget-influenced foam settles, very thick firm inch of head. As far as presentation goes, it's exactly what I expected for a basic stout, advertises itself OK. Let's see how accurate that is...

I have my answer: "not very". Was expecting creamy, got watery. Expected significant malt, got watered-down black coffee. Goes down easy, but isn't really giving me further reason for it to. No real distinction, and the only thing worse to me than a bad taste is no taste.

Congratulations, Murphy's. You've become my first drain pour.

06-05-2010 02:20:57 | More by longbongsilver
DPuro329

1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

Based on a friends recommendation I picked up some Murphy's Irish Stout in the pub draft can, to be honest I wasn't impressed.
I poured it into a clean glass. It had a dark body but a thin head which surprised me. It had a slight malty smell, but had what I thought was a stale odor. The taste was bland with not much malt or any real flavor which really surprised me. The feel was watery and average and the overall drinkability quite boring. I don't think I'll drink it again.

02-15-2007 01:16:45 | More by DPuro329
ZenAgnostic

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

Nitro 1 pint can poured into a Guinness glass. No date, but some cryptic markings on bottom.

Appearance - Tan pancake batter head. Black body with sheets of brown nitro bubbles cascading down the sides.

Smell - Faint coffee and soy sauce. Almost no smell whatsoever, then again that's not suprising when drinking it at the recommended "chilled" temperature.

Taste - Stale metallic water. Coffee. Chocolate. In order of prominence.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Mildly astringent. The head foam offers no creaminess or texture; it has the consistency of air.

Overall Drinkability - No redeeming qualities other than perhaps the sixer-mixer price of $1.50 per can.

10-20-2011 19:17:49 | More by ZenAgnostic
Poser

Alabama

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

Best presentation is in a snifter. Dark black body with extreme lacing from the tan head. I find the aroma a bit weak -- roasted malts with a hint of coffee. I can barely smell it, though, and it's in a snifter. The taste is the same. A very dry finish. I'm not well-versed on pasteurized beer, but I found it to be a little too smooth and milky. The drinkability gets knocked down a bit because it upset my stomach a little.

Overall, it goes down a lot like Guinness with a nitro can. I have a friend who swears by this stuff, so I'll probably give him the rest of my 4-pack. I can see how it might be enjoyable to some, I guess, but it's not for me.

09-05-2007 01:34:56 | More by Poser
dcook11

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

A- Great look. dark brown that fades into dark black at the finish of the pour. Nice creamy off white two finger head.

S- Coffee. roasted malt. Chocolate.

T- Too watery for me. Could have made everything alot stronger taste wise. I am a fan of IS's so too me this just does not do it.

M- Odd metal taste.

D- ditto on M.

06-30-2010 23:04:03 | More by dcook11
JizackFH

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color. It has a 1-finger very creamy looking light tan head. The head never goes away, It stays until the very last sip.

S - The smell has a faintly roasty malt aroma. There are some subtle notes of chocolate and coffee. It also smells a bit bitter and dry.

T - The taste is light and the roasty bitterness is unpleasant. There are subtle notes of coffee and chocolate. The flavors just seem quite watered down. The taste is just not that good.

M - This has a very light body and decent carbonation. This is just too light of a mouthfeel for a stout IMO. There is a slight creaminess to it, but still it's way too watery.

D - This has okay drinkability. It really doesn't taste that good, and the mouthfeel is too thin. It's not an offensive tasting beer, it's just not very flavorful. I like it better than guinness, even though that's not saying much. Overall, I don't really mind drinking this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

03-04-2011 06:58:59 | More by JizackFH
SmashPants

Australia

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

Bottle: standard Irish Stout macro 500mL can with doobie in it. So, it's decent.

Appearance: nice burnt colour with dark ruby highlights. From a nitro can, so there is a well developed creamy head on top. Good retention.

Aroma: almost non-existent. Slight sweetness and a faint burnt / roast malt.

Taste: not very nice, to be honest. Like a stout, but watered down. I was expecting creamy, mouth feel isn't nice. Burnt coffee is about it.

Aftertaste: again with the burnt coffee. Not a good beer. Don't bother again.

Mouth feel: not much to go with - quite watered-down for a stout, with very little to impress.

Overall: an unpleasant burnt coffee stout. The worst part of it by far is the mouthfeel - watery like a dark lager, rather than creamy like a stout.

07-01-2012 10:46:15 | More by SmashPants
Bitzy

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

I really don't know where all the good ratings of this beer are coming from. It was hard for me to get through the can, which I ended up not finishing. The flavors were quite bland or muted by the dryness of the finish. Overall I don't really like the nitro-capsule effect. I would go for a guinness extra stout over the draught bottle any day. While some might posit that the flavors in guinness are made subtle by its creamy mouthfeel, I find it much more enjoyable than murphys. I guess I'll have to try it on tap or in a bottle to see if this beer has the potential that others claim it to have.

06-11-2008 19:48:10 | More by Bitzy
flyers1980

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

The "dryrish" stouts are not my cup of tea, full disclosure...that said I did buy a case in march after getting a little too psyched for st paddy's day...The greatest thing about this beer for me is the pour. The science of the widget can to pint glass pour almost brings a tear to my eye. After that it's all downhill. Very little aroma, and what j could detect was a hint of malt. One mouthful tastes of sheer boredom to me. I do prefer it far beyond Guinness, but again, it's just not my type of beer. One on march 17th for me and that's it.

05-04-2012 00:31:23 | More by flyers1980
JamesHenjum

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This beer poors just like Guinness. Dark with a great creamy head and amazing lacing.

S: Smells like creamy coffee and chocolate.

T: More bitter than Guinness. Similar coffee and chocolate notes. Less toffee and more coffee than with Guinness. It is bitter throughout cutting out a lot of flavors.

M: Very creamy. Full bodied beer. Or close to it.

O: I prefer Guinness more. This wasn't as watery, but the bitterness got in the way of the flavor for me.

09-21-2012 00:14:24 | More by JamesHenjum
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.45/5  rDev -34.5%

On nitro-tap 12/31/06 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: Once the cascade of bubbles ends, the beer is black, with a large and very dense, off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick & even lace on the glass.

S: The smell is very faint but there’s some roasted malt and chocolate in there.

T: The taste is malty with a little chocolate mixed in. There was a metallic flavor at the beginning but it faded as the beer warmed. I guess I started drinking it a bit too soon. Overall, the taste seemed watered-down.

M: Very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: I didn’t find it to be very tasty, but it goes down easily, a little bit filling. I’ve tried this beer a couple of times at tastings and didn’t like it. I decided to give it a fair shot by trying it on-tap. It tasted somewhat better but I still don’t like it very much.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-01-2007 15:07:40 | More by TheManiacalOne
TehParabox

2.48/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance: Nice thick head dense head. Dark brown as with most porters and stouts. light shines through the bottom of the glass. Evident of very caramel dark brown color. Nice lacing.

Smell: Rich coffee and chocolate. Nothing strong. Very low key on the aroma.

Taste: Has a tinge of chocolate and coffee. Has a bit of sweetness that's pretty good. Bitter finish..and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It has a very creamy start..has a pretty good finish. Not as dense as I would expect.

Overall: It's good..but not great. I enjoyed it. Definitely something good to pick up on and enjoy.

09-14-2012 06:57:05 | More by TehParabox
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Purchased at a local supermarket at just 74p, for it's separated from the package-damaged original pack of four and reduced to clear. BB Oct. 08, served semi-chilled in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: very dark brown in colour, with caramel glows when seen against light, coming w/ a thick, as-creamy-&-tight-as-you-can-expect-from-a-nitro-assisted-pour head that simply lasts forever.
S: burned malts, bitter chocolates and coffee, with light nutty hints and a touch of dust. Standard for an Irish Dry Stout, smooth, light, w/o much complexity to enjoy.
T: the foretaste is milder than the Guinness, with burned barley's sour-bitterness like expired and oxidised coffee beans and some displaced maltiness, leaving powdery bitter bits and dispersed roasty flavour in the end. Bitter and sour overall, showing no structure at all, and messy.
M&D: the texture is much much "lighter" than what the word "smooth" can possibly suggest to its best intent... or, it's just watery, full stop. And, despite the creamy-soft facade imposed by nitro-gas, the body is just thin, thin, thin! In addition, there's little taste left in this cold, watered-down coffee, so I personally find this canned beer a total waste of money, even at 74p!

12-02-2007 19:55:55 | More by wl0307
brdc

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Had this on tap, poured into a pint glass.

The presentation is indeed very nice, with a nearly pitch black color, and that reverse cascade producing a very thick and long lasting dark brown head. Average lacing.
Aroma is good, with roasted grains, but not a lot of those, and some chocolate. It lacks depth and complexity.
The taste is also fairly bland, and unidimensional, with some grain notes, but neither sweet nor bitter.
Easy to drink, but overall a fairly mediocre stout.

11-01-2010 22:53:09 | More by brdc
MoreThanWine

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The can widget gives it an almost soap bubble-like foam but which only rises to about 1/4". Dark raw umber in color. Smell is malt and not much else. Taste is a very mild roasted malt. Quite possibly the weakest flavored stout I've ever had. Hey, this is an inoffensive beer which even people who don't like stout could probably handle, because frankly there just isn't much stoutlike about it besides the color. D+ folks.

04-02-2011 13:13:49 | More by MoreThanWine
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served to me at Baton Rouge steakhouse, this dry stout came black as night, with maybe a half finger of head. Aroma was of coffee, roasted malts and a bit of caramel. Taste was lightly bitter, with a bit of chocolate sweetness. Mouthfeel was dry and a bit thick. Overall, an underwhelming beer.

02-19-2012 16:03:00 | More by slitherySOB
beerguy101

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

WIDGET CAN. Dark black color. Large foamy white head. Aroma is chocolate and fruity. A light to medium bodied stout. Malts are chocolate and roasty. There is a slight metallic taste and it is a little thin and watery tasting. I wonder if the off taste is due to the widget? Touches of coffee and vanilla. This particular can is not very appealing. Will need to re-taste some time. The off taste just drowns out the stoutness of this beer. Mouthfeel is very thin. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter

12-01-2003 01:13:13 | More by beerguy101
hellcatsjg

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Looks like a good respectable stout should look. Dark with a good size creamy head.

Smell: Not much. Slight, very slight, chocolatey smell.

Taste: Again, not much. Slight roasted chocolates and maybe a hint of caramels but you really have to look for them.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery. For a stout, this is disappointing. Nothing more of mention here.

Drinkability: Suppose that it is drinkable, but that is far from a compliment. Too watery and flavorless to really enjoy, but if your looking for something to have a few of without suffering the effects that many good beers bring, this could be right up your alley.

Not recommended unless a last resort amid a bunch of BMC taps.

09-03-2007 01:16:38 | More by hellcatsjg
afksports

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

Murphy's Irish Stout used to be my favorite beer. Then I had craft beer.

Out of a nitro-can it sure is fun to watch though. And it's dark, with a ton of head on it at all times. Too bad it isn't thick at all. Basically a light to medium body with little carbonation. That was the girlfriend's comment - although it delivered no "beerface", so that's saying something.

But truthfully the malty aromas aren't impressive (although they are present), and the taste delivers little more than water and a few runny malts that remind you somewhat of coffee and chocolate bitterness.

There are elements in this one that are done well, but none that have my running back to it for more. Especially at the price it usually draws. Think dark Speckled Hen, or darker Boddington's.

12-12-2010 01:30:13 | More by afksports
rjplumer

Rhode Island

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark almost black color with a very faint red tinge around the edges, Creamy tan head. I struggle to find any aroma. Dry very mild chocolate taste with very little bitterness. Very smooth with hardly any carbonation. Seems kind of on the bland side with not much as far as anything extraordinary. No bitterness and certainly finishes dry. I sense some sourness in the middle. Little bit of a chalky feel to it. Doesn't have anything as far as turn offs but doesn't excite the senses either.

12-18-2011 20:42:43 | More by rjplumer
cwocasio

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -31%

After being impressed by Murphy's Red I thought I would give the stout a try. The beer pours great, looks great, smells great...but after the exterior judging it falls apart. Perhaps it just doesn't match my taste buds. I felt like it was a really watered down beer. It was, I will admit, refreshing but I prefer something with a little more substance. I would love to taste a Murphy's Extra Stout if they have one.

07-02-2008 04:33:05 | More by cwocasio
heebes

Ontario (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -31%

On-tap.

Poured black with a light tan all foam head that remains throughout consumption. Nose was dark roast malt, light coffee notes and mild brewers licorice. Taste was light flavoured, seemingly flat and boring; licorice, dark malts but remains watery and unimpressive. Mouthfeel was very lite and thin. Overall a weaker effort than the draft Guiness that's offered in chain restaurants here. Good abv, sessionable but thin on body and taste.

04-19-2011 00:22:48 | More by heebes