2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy's Irish StoutMurphy's Irish Stout

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Ratings: 1,718 | Reviews: 915 | Show All Ratings:
yardkl

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I must admit, I'm a little confused by the ratings here for this beer. I've done many back to back comparisons with Guinness and this beer is milder version of guineas. Less flavor but more creamy. Guinness is in no way perfect but this beer is, in my opinion, lacks the flavor that Guinness has. Still a good beer. Try it!

03-11-2014 02:38:08 | More by yardkl
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a finger of light tan head on a black body.
The aroma is black licorice, roasted malt and milk.
The taste is mild with light roasted malt and milk. Finishes with a mild bitter note.
The texture is smooth with a medium body.
It hits the right notes for a milder stout. Quite enjoyable.

02-27-2014 11:24:55 | More by Fatehunter
seydou

South Africa

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured out of a draught can.

The most aesthetically beautiful beer I've had. Pours thick, creamy, takes some time to settle out of a relaxed and bubbly tan into a perfect dark beer with a layer of thick creamy head that looks like icing on a cake.

Smells rich, and the taste is perfect. Just the right amount of bittery undertones and a clean, clean, clean drink. Tasting something like a bitter chocolate or a toasted nut of something. Just perfect. Smooth and thick without being bloaty-inducing.

02-04-2014 02:40:45 | More by seydou
bamastout

Alabama

3.21/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Its better that Guinness but its just not my taste in stout.

Very fun to pour and look at but it just falls short on being flavorful.

Dark, creamy and sooo pretty. Keeps a head and looks like the best beer visually.

The aromatics are a typical stout but it seems to lack much of a strong taste

Very much drinkable and i wouldn't hesitate to recommen for the Guinness drinker however I prefer imperial stouts, double stouts, ect.

No bitter taste, very smooth.

The last chug doesn't leave an aftertaste but the foamy head follows all the way down.

Last thoughts: looks perfect and wont disappoint the beer drinker, however the stout lover may want to try a friends before purchase.

12-12-2013 07:49:46 | More by bamastout
mlichens

New Hampshire

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a nitro can into a pint glass. A very good, underrated dry Irish stout. Frankly, I'll drink this over Guinness any day of the week (sorry, fellow Irish New Englanders). The mouthfeel is creamy, quite smooth. Appearance is dark, a healthy white head with only minor lacing. Initial taste is sweet, with some coffee notes and a slight bitterness at the end. This is one of those old-school stouts that I could drink by a gallon.

12-09-2013 04:55:53 | More by mlichens
LXIXME

New Mexico

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Small light brown head with staying power over a very dark brown to almost black colored stout that seems to be pretty clear.

Light aroma of chocolates and hops mixed together.

Nice blend of flavors with light chocolate highlighting this beer.

A full bodied beer with a dry aftertaste with some light chocolate tastes remaining.

A pretty good beer, seems like a step or 2 above Guinness.

10-21-2013 23:19:52 | More by LXIXME
Crafts_and_recreation

4.75/5  rDev +27%

A: This stout pours beautifully out of the Draughtflow can with a pitch black hue and clouds that settle nicely. Comes to a rich, velvety head that retains a nice lacing.

S: The aroma is subtle compared to most stouts. It has a pleasant coffee-like scent but nothing really stands out too much; just very clean and a hint of sweetness.

T: Coffee and chocolatey malts come to the front with just a touch of bittersweetness on the back end. This stout is quite balanced without too much sweet or hops. It's a full bodied flavor with a hint of roasted barley in the mix.

M: Smooth and rich without feeling too thick. The head is a velvety texture that sticks around and blends very well with each sip. Full bodied without being heavy, it washes over the palate with just the right amount of crispness at the finish.

O: A solid stout that covers all the bases. I love the way it pours and dances across the palate from first sip to final drop with its fresh coffee flavor and smooth finish. I'd highly recommend Murphy's for any occasion!

09-30-2013 22:52:14 | More by Crafts_and_recreation
rickyleepotts

Arizona

1.84/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

In the Glass: This beer poured thick, and with a TON of bubbles. Not overly carbonated, but just the way this style was pours. If you ever see a bar pour a Guinness, a similar style, they will take several minutes to properly pour the beer. I am not sure the saying… but I think it is supposed to take 90 seconds, or more to properly pour a Guinness. That is what this beer reminds me of. The head, by the time the beer settles, is thick and creamy. That is the best way to explain this beer. Creamy. The beer has a nice lace, too.

Nose: There isn't a lot of aroma here, but what I am getting is a hint of chocolate. I have to take a deep breath to get much. I am also blown away with the low ABV on this can. 4% isn't even enough to write home about. Of course, at 4% I could drink a gallon of this and not even know it! I hope the flavor is better than the aroma.

Flavor: This is better than Guinness… a little more flavor than Guinness. Sorry I keep comparing this beer to that, but that is what it reminds me of. I just took a bite of BBQ, and they were right… it IS a good pairing. I must say, I wouldn't order this in a bar. I WOULD order this when in Ireland, but I wouldn't order it here. Beers over there taste better, anyway.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. It looked creamy in the glass and has a very thick and creamy mouthfeel. I bet this beer would taste best room temperature in a room temperature glass. Typically I like beers with low carbonation, and while there are a lot of bubbles in the glass, the beer isn't very carbonated. I even swished the last drink around in my mouth, and nothing. Quite frankly, the flavor is boring. I will say I am not getting the metallic flavor that I expect from most Irish dry stouts.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? I drink, there is a hint of flavor, and then it's gone again. There is literally no aftertaste here. I also like how they spell draft. On the can it says, "DRAUGHT STYLE". That is not how you spell draft! Oh well. I will give this beer credit for the style… but just not for me.

05-16-2013 20:21:20 | More by rickyleepotts
richj1970

Alabama

3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A: Very beautiful beer. Pours with a fantastic cascading head. Once it settles, the beer is nearly pitch black with nice 2-3 finger extremely creamy tan head. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Almost non-existent. Some malts and bread. Leaves me wanting something more here.

T: Very creamy and dry. No big flavors here, but it is an easy sipper.

M: A bit thin and watery for my taste, but the creamy texture in nice.

O: A decent example of Irish Stout, and a nice alternative to Guinesss. I used another can for my Irish stew which turned out fantastic. this past weekend, and that might be a better use for this brew.

03-21-2013 23:16:50 | More by richj1970
LuDookie

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured this from the can into a mug.

It appeared like a Guiness, foam all the way from the bottom of the glass that very slowly dissipates.

Maybe it was the can but when it first cracked it smelled like a Lone Star. I didn't dig that, but once it was in the mug it took on a nice roasted malt smell, just like a Guiness.

The taste is very similar to Guiness, but I always prefer Murphy's over Guiness. It seems to have just a little more substance, and it great on tap.

Mouthfeel smooth and malty, with the flat feel of this type of beer.

Overall, it is what it is. Basically a Guiness Draft in a different suit. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference if I were tested.

02-15-2013 13:26:06 | More by LuDookie
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Irish stouts are beautiful beers. Near black with a thick, creamy tan head. Long lasting retention and ample lacing. The aroma offers some bread and chocolates. The aroma is gentle but enticing. Smooth and creamy, with a milk chocolate character. A hint of roast and no bitterness. A really solid example of the style.

08-03-2012 03:59:31 | More by Huhzubendah
VelvetExtract

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

A-Murphy's Irish Stout pours as close to perfection as possible. Must give it a 5 because it is hilariously level and clean. Perfect division between head and body. The jigger within the can really makes this beer pour clean. Head is khaki and everlasting. Head is about an inch high and it refuses to relinquish any of its height. Perfectly cut lacing rings. Light penetrates only the outer edges.

S-Nose first reminds me of chalk and cardboard. Could use more roast and chocolate, but this is an Irish Dry so the nose does aptly abide to the style. Low-to-medium aroma intensity.

T-Taste is better. Lactose and chalky. Coffee is muted. Chocolate is met evenly by vanilla. Semi-dry. I enjoy its overall lack of sweetness. a bit of cardboard again.

M-Plenty of body for its super-low ABV. Carbonation is very mellow. Creamy and smooth. Leaves my tongue rough along the lining of my mouth.

O/D-Could it be a bit better than Guinness Draught? It is a bit rougher around the edges; and I like that. Solid taste and a perfect look. I really don't care how the beer looks but this is just too perfectly defined in appearance to not warrant a 5. Nice little pint.

06-30-2012 03:49:00 | More by VelvetExtract
bluto25

3.03/5  rDev -19%

Appearance – This beer pours a dark amber with a beautiful massive dense foam of small bubbles that slowly rises to the top to form about one finger of dark ivory foam. It developed a very thick lacing that formed a complete cover over the side of the glass.

Smell – A pleasing odor of malt and coffee/to roasted aroma.

Taste –It's taste of roasted coffee. It has a bitterness that comes from the hops and the roasting that lingers.

Mouth Feel– The beer had low or no carbonation resulting in a flat feel. Apparently all the carbonation went into forming the phone. Would prefer slightly more carbonation.

Overall –Despite the beautiful appearance the low carbonation resulting in a flat feel was the notable characteristic. This beer was drunk straight from the refrigerator so may try it again at a warmer temperature.

03-21-2012 14:36:20 | More by bluto25
mjw2808

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark black with a very creamy two finger head. Smell is of roasted malt. The taste is nice and malty but not too sweet. Not very complex but at the same time has a satisfying taste. Very creamy mouthfeel, one of the best ive noticed in a while. This stout doesnt bring anything super unique, but it does just what its supposed to as a dry stout.

08-29-2011 03:53:47 | More by mjw2808
MassDriver

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into my trusty North Coast pint glass

A: The pour was average but the cascade formed by the nitrogen was a pleasure to watch. 2 finger tan head and a nice dark brown body.

S: Bit of a malt smell in there with some whiffs of chocolate but there was nothing that stood out to me.

T: The taste was about average for a stout, almost identical in flavor to Guinness

M: Amazing mouthfeel, so creamy and so smooth. It went down like a dream.

O: Average beer in my books, nothing special but something to try if only for that look of the cascading bubbles and smooth mouthfeel.

06-20-2011 05:04:17 | More by MassDriver
GarthDanielson

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass, the beer pours a jet black coloring with a solid, thick, creamy, two fingers beige head. The beer has a creamy nose, with mocha highlights. Flavors of coffee and dark chocolate are first into mouth, with a dark coffee bittering effect. Creamy and smooth in mouth, the beer has a semi-sweet aftertaste that draws you back for repeated drinks. Very smooth and creamy in mouth, and the light finish allows for repeated drinking. Delicious! Very easy to drink, and very easy to consume in mass quantities.

03-18-2011 02:32:04 | More by GarthDanielson
malty

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Bought a 4-pack draught style in cans last week. I'll probably be socially involved tomorrow (St. Patty's Day) so I thought I'd give this brew a formal, sober review.

Pfffttt goes my nitro can upon cracking open. Pours into my imperial Guinness pint a tumultuous, churning midnight brown, finally settling with a 1/2" creamy, ultra-dense light khaki head. Unbreaking, thick walls of lace all the way down the pint.

Smells like an intense chocolate malt made with hot fudge, instead of cheap chocolate syrup. Believe me, I know, as I used to work in an ice cream shop back in high school. Madagascar vanilla. Fresh from the oven Irish brown bread. Lush concord grapes without the tannins.

The flavor borders more towards the coffee side, but still rails close to the milk chocolate arena. The flavors are quick and settle back with a light leathery tinge.

Mouthfeel is between light and medium with a less than moderate amount of pillow soft ultra fine carbonation.

Drinkability is good. In a social setting, I'm sure this would go down like water.

Speaking of water, I can't believe how watery the texture is on this stout. I understand this is a pedestrian stout, but I do remember it being a bit more meaty and a bit hearty way back in the early 90s. Alas, my palate has been tempered with a vast array of beefy, bruising ales in the past 20 years, but I still can't help but think this stout has been 'wussified'. I still will quaff these when I return home after slinging back a few celebrating St. Patty's Day tomorrow, while watching my Spartans play UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tourney. GO STATE!!!

03-16-2011 21:21:05 | More by malty
r3o

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A: a solid pitch black beer that yields no light, a half inch head in a cafe au latte color that laces nicely.
S: malt takes the front, some sweetness to it, not very powerful, burnt coffee at times.
T: you can taste a creamy chocolate at first with some bitterness in the aftertaste that is quite gentle
M: good carbonation, not as thin as others in its group, I'd say medium body.
D: very easy to drink, fun beer, I'd have another one.

02-05-2011 02:00:48 | More by r3o
dcook11

2.15/5  rDev -42.5%

A- Great look. dark brown that fades into dark black at the finish of the pour. Nice creamy off white two finger head.

S- Coffee. roasted malt. Chocolate.

T- Too watery for me. Could have made everything alot stronger taste wise. I am a fan of IS's so too me this just does not do it.

M- Odd metal taste.

D- ditto on M.

06-30-2010 23:04:03 | More by dcook11
xylophonica

Australia

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Nice dark colour with about 1 finger-worth of pale cream head.

S - Dark oak and wheat. Roasted barley and grains.

T - Smooth and creamy. Reminds me of Guinness but darker and with a hint of coffee.

M - Again very smooth - quite soft going down.

D - Very easy to drink due to the smoothness.

Obviously Guinness comparisons here are hard to avoid but I should say this is actually slightly more bitter than Guinness but with a richer taste. Would be hard to split the two - you'd have this one day and the other the next.

05-29-2010 11:49:39 | More by xylophonica
Parrotbeak

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Very dark brown with a thin, off-white head that remains.
Smell is lightly toasted malts, with a hint of smokiness to it. Hints of caramel and brown sugar as well.
Taste is more slightly smokey malts with some bitterness coming in after. Residual bitterness carries to the finish.
Mouthfeel is smooth and light, with a dry finish.
Easy enought to drink. Pretty good beer overall.

05-14-2010 00:18:34 | More by Parrotbeak
u2carew

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Can. Consumed 3/4/10
A) Pours with a classic "nitro" pour - ebb and flow of the body as it settles. Thick creamy head. Opaque body. Tan colored head.
S) Bready. Hints of caramel.
T) Smoky, sweet caramel malt up front. Light roasted notes. Finishes with sweet tones and mellow coffee.
M) Smooth. Creamy. Full body but on the light side.
D) Delicious! This has always been one of my favorite stouts.

05-01-2010 02:01:05 | More by u2carew
mirish72

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

I have always liked Murphys. When I lived in Ireland, I would always drink Murphys wherever it was available, which in the early 90's meant County Cork and maybe Galway City.

It is a beautiful pour, settles in about a minute into a pint glass. Pous black with a creamy 1 finger white head.

Smells of roasted malts. It tastes very smooth, without the bitterness of Guinness. It is also very drinkable, almost quaffable and a pint is gone in about 3-4 sips.

You forget that you're only dealing with a beer that is 4%, so it is really an enjoyable session beer.

Up Cork.

03-14-2010 03:58:32 | More by mirish72
yuenglings

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

A:When first poured it looks very very tastey right off the bat. It is very dark brown almost black with a really nice half inch thick off white(brownish) foamy head that leaves a great laceing.
S:Roasted nutty and coco malts mabey a little coffee in there it is a very plesant smell but not as sweet as guinness.
T:First off its way better than guinness. I can taste something like roasted rasian bread right up front with a dark chocolate and coffee bitterness at the end.
M:Good smooth and creamy with good carbonation has a really nice balance
D:I find this beer very easy to drink and drink a lot very easly and will buy many more cases in the future.

10-16-2009 15:59:05 | More by yuenglings
bgreg3

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

App - Black but you're able to see through it if you shine light, but points are made up with the amazing looking foam, light cream, absolutely beautiful.

Smell - Roast coffee, some chocolate, and vanilla. Had to smell through foam.

Taste - Subtle coffee is the first thing to come to and with a slow and enjoyable transition to chocolate while notes of chocolate attacks the tongue. Sweet malt is in the background. The finishing taste is vanilla, sweet the whole way through, balanced by hops throughout as well.

MF - Very creamy, it's great! Medium mouth-feel, not too heavy for a stout.

Drinkability- Very refreshing. I'm surprised. I didn't know a stout could be so refreshing and satisfying. This is the first daught I've ever had though and the lowest ABV for a beer. Session is written all over this one.

08-30-2009 02:30:04 | More by bgreg3