Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy's Irish StoutMurphy's Irish Stout

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros

Stobin, Oct 14, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Creamy. Beautiful Black - Completely Black. One of my favorite Irish Stouts. Better than Guiness by far....

A - Yes - Black and Thick. Perfect HUGE head that never leaves. Wow, I like this beer. Fantaistic.

S - Good. The smell has to get through the huge head. This is where the proplem lies but who cares.

T - Excellent. Very nice and thick stout that is easy to drink and easy to find. Much rather have this than Guiness any day. Malt. Chocolate. Dry. What else could you want.

M - Thick and Rich. Oh sweet nectar of Ireland.

D - Most definitely. Just went throug 3 of these during an evening at the in-laws. Had to escape some way.

schellsbeer, Nov 29, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Nitro can poured into a tulip glass. Love the cascade effect.

Dark brown with red highlights. It would be clear if it werent so dark. The just off white foam rises about three quarters of an inch above the body.

Not a lot here in terms of power or complexity, but there's obvious roasted dark malts. No hop smell to speak of.

Tastes good, I like it better than Guinness, but not as much as a lot American brewed Irish style dry stouts that I've had.. Really light bodied and watery. Very drinkable. Would be a great pub beer if you had a lot of time to kill, or sit and drink.

I might overrate it a bit because I drank a lot of these on my honeymoon, but I do like it. I get excited whenever I see it on tap at a bar - nice change of pace.

tkelley, Mar 17, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Dark brown/black with a creamy mocha head and good carbonation. The head perseveres and carbonation funnels up from sides of glass. Fine lacing.

S- Slight coffee and alcohol, very sweet and maltiness, even grassy.

T- Same grassiness, nice light bitterness. Classic stout flavor in back.

M- Thinner than expected, even watery. Carbonation oddly absent (too thin?)

O- Depends on how a beer should be judged. Versus type, this stout wouldn't rate well, but I rather enjoyed it.

imasloth, Jul 01, 2012

Joey-bags1990, Nov 05, 2013

avwrite, Jun 13, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

CMundt4994, Nov 14, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - pours nicely with a thick head and bubles that float down. Nive lacing and a deep dark bllack color.

Smell - slight malt aroma with hints of aromatic hops. not a huge smell but very intising.

Taste - wonderfully dry with a nice balance of maltiness and hops. Has a mild burnt chocolate taste to it (but in a good way)

Overall - A damn nice irish stout

Elemental, Mar 18, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

Serving type: A lovely nitro-can

Appearance: Great looking beer. Pours a black liquid that lets no light through but leaves a milky white head that is very slow at dissipating.

Smell: Coffee, malts, roasted barley smell? Almost smells like smoke from a cigarette as well...

Taste: A chocolate and coffee taste that is a little bitter for my preference but still not bad. The chocolate taste is dark as is the coffee that lingers. A bit bitter toward the end.

Mouthfeel: Silky and creamy...maybe because it's from a Nitro-can, but it feels great

Drinkability: I might not be a huge fan of the taste BUT it is not overly bitter and I would glady try another one. The ABV makes it a bit more drinkable than what I might normally rate...like I said this isn't my cup of tea but it has it merits and worth a try for those who like a little more bitterness in there drink

Edit: Having enjoyed more of the drink(Alright...a 2nd one) I wanted to re-review the drink. The drinks dry flavour blends in a little more w/ the creamyness as you drink more making it a more enjoyable drink. Worth a shot to anyone interested

livingregret, Aug 20, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Like most Irish stouts, presentation is one of the primary joys of this beer. A gentle pour produces a beautiful cascading effect, topped off with a modest yet creamy head that persistently sticks to the sides of the glass. 'Tis a beautiful thing.

Smell: The cocoa notes in particular stand out, as if I just stuck my nose into a tin of Hershey powder. It's tinged with a hint of sour breadiness that gives it balance.

Mouthfeel: Thin & airy. Soft on the tongue. The nitro gives it a light, frothy feel. Silky smooth.

Taste: Grain, coffee, and cocoa flavors merge together in equal measure. Malty flavor upfront, with a somewhat bitter black coffee finish. It leaves a gentle bitterness on the tongue.

Verdict: There are more impressive beers out there, sure, but if you're in the mood for a classic Irish pint then I can't imagine this not hitting the spot.

bearrunner44, Aug 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

pint can into pint glass.

A: pours cloudy chocolate brown, like foamy chocolate milk. Settles to dark brown/black and a thick cream-colored head.

S: Coffee, roasted grain.

T/M: Tastes like black coffee, with a mild roasted grain astringency. Slightly sweeter than Guinness and Beamish. Creamy nitro-stout mouthfeel. Finishes well: leaves a coffee-like aftertaste and feels thick.

D: Nice session stout; sweeter alternative to Guinness and a nice change of pace. Definitely something for when I'm in the mood for a nitro-stout.

MurphyMacManus, Mar 17, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance - Black with a tan, creamy head.

Smell - I can honestly barely smell anything. Trace amounts of alcohol and coffee.

Taste - Roast coffee and grain husk predominate. There's a slight medicinal taste in the middle, too. A dryly bitter finish, with little to no alcohol taste. The finish gets more bitter as it warms up, and not in a good way.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy, obviously nitrogenated.

Drinkability - The high point of this beer, it is very drinkable.

Notes - There's not much to this other than the drinkability and creamy mouthfeel. It's not even from Ireland: it says on the can that it was made in Edinburgh. I feel ripped off.

Fnord, Mar 17, 2010

mte1972, Nov 01, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +8%

Aidan_Stewart, Aug 21, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance:
The pour is quite interesting; there is a cascade effect, but it is subtle. Creamy head formation (~1 finger) is fairly slow, but the retention and lacing are quite good. As expected with most stouts, this beer appears to be colored black. When held up to the light, you can see a dark red hue.

Smell:
The aroma is quite sharp. I detect (listed in order of relative intensity) hints of roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate. There really isn't much to say other than that.

Taste:
I would say that the taste matches the nose quite well. The roasted barley and coffee tones are dominant, but they are quite smooth - it's not too overpowering. Malt and hop character are decently balanced.

Mouthfeel:
The body is a little lighter than I would have expected for a stout, but it's not watery; I would rate it as medium-light. Gentle creaminess is detectable on the tongue. I think "silky" would be an appropriate adjective.

Drinkability:
I could sip on these all night long. The beer itself is quite smooth and best enjoyed a little on the warmer side. This beer finishes nicely; the aftertaste is a bit on the dry side and leaves you wanting more. Subtle sweetness fades away and is "cut off" as a result.

Summary:
This is a beer that doesn't get as much respect as it should. I know that Guinness is the media favorite, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's that much better than this brew. Given the price, I think it's nice to throw down a few of these every now and then. It may be a bit more costly than Guinness, but if you haven't tried it you really should. This beer is definately one of the more underrated ones. I don't know if it will ever find its way out of Guinness's shadow, but it's still a worthy competitor, regardless.

diabecktic, May 08, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A: a solid pitch black beer that yields no light, a half inch head in a cafe au latte color that laces nicely.
S: malt takes the front, some sweetness to it, not very powerful, burnt coffee at times.
T: you can taste a creamy chocolate at first with some bitterness in the aftertaste that is quite gentle
M: good carbonation, not as thin as others in its group, I'd say medium body.
D: very easy to drink, fun beer, I'd have another one.

r3o, Feb 05, 2011

Softestdog, Sep 02, 2012

WallE89, Mar 06, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Really wanted a stout, but didn't have imperial money. Spotted this loose on a mix'n'match rack, haggled my way into a deal on a single (didn't want to get a pack in case I didn't like the first one). Fills mug a burnt brown that gets darker as the widget-influenced foam settles, very thick firm inch of head. As far as presentation goes, it's exactly what I expected for a basic stout, advertises itself OK. Let's see how accurate that is...

I have my answer: "not very". Was expecting creamy, got watery. Expected significant malt, got watered-down black coffee. Goes down easy, but isn't really giving me further reason for it to. No real distinction, and the only thing worse to me than a bad taste is no taste.

Congratulations, Murphy's. You've become my first drain pour.

longbongsilver, Jun 05, 2010

sodensp, Aug 23, 2012
4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a nitro-can into a dimpled English beer mug.

A-It looks like chocolate milk when initially poured because of the nitro. When settled, it's pure black with a tan creamy 1 finger head. Left creamy lacing on the glass.

S-Hints of coffee (only slight) with bits of molasses. The smell is quite tame. There were bits of malt in the nose as well.

T-Very smooth, even crisp for this style. Taste of coffee, malt, and some slight bitterness from the hops in the aftertaste. Very balanced in every way. Quite a refreshing stout. It's a little sweet, a little dry, a little bitter..it's perfectly balanced. It was so good, I grabbed another one out of my fridge. I couldn't just stop at one, it's creamy and silky smooth!

M-lighter bodied but satisfyingly sessionable. Crisp and smooth. Light carbonation/moderate carbonation. Quite a creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, buy it! It is underrated(unfortunately) but it's worth every sip. Great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Jsteez, Jan 13, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

Dogstickfetch, Sep 29, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -16.3%

A - if looks could kill.... wow. Dense creamy tan head with bubbles sheeting down the inside of my pint glass. Dark body such as characteristic of a stout. VERY inviting.

S - Roasty and yet sweet smelling.

T - first sip and I detected bacon? what the hell. Cleared my palate with a slice of bread and some cheese and hit it again.... Cream, smoke and purified spring water freshness. I hope my tongue isn't playing games with me... cuz I like it a lot more now that it's not bacon lol.

M - Pleasant presence, very creamy texture... yet not too thick.

D - likely to show in my fridge to be introduced to my beer drinking buddies as a possible staple of Irish Stouts.

n00tz, Sep 13, 2008