Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

I like Murphy's Irish Stout a little bit more than Guinness, but only because it fits a niche that's a bit hard to find elsewhere. If I were aiming for a heavy stout or porter, there are plenty of amazing ones much better than Guinness. And if I wanted a lighter stout, I'd go for a Guinness. So Guinness is sort of hanging in the middle, whereas Murphy's fits this role of lighter stout.

Very creamy and smooth. Roasted flavors and hints of chocolate but not very overpowering. It's a tamed version of a stout in my opinion, but with all the right flavors and ingredients.

Murphy's is a bit tougher to find than Guinness. I think it's even harder to find on tap than Guinness. As a result, I'll pick up a Guinness in place of its subtler rival, but given the option, I think I'd reach for Murphy's.

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Went to Ireland with my GF to see the site and drink some beer. This was by far one of my favourites. I would get this the minute I saw it on tap anywhere or in a store.

Rich and creamy full of roast barly and coffee like flavours. Looks greats in a glass with a nice think head on top. Looks so good you don't want to drink it, ya right!

Nice clean taste to it nothing to strong nothing to intense just a great all around Stout.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Hooray for having internet again...I've got a backlog of reviews I need to put up and this beer gets to be first since it is sitting in my fridge right now.

A: This beer looks great out of the can and into a pint glass...motor oil black with that wonderful cascading effect building into a perfectly smooth tan head.

S: Smell is less pronounced than expected but appetizing maltiness and dry roasted aromas. Standard fare for a dry stout.

T: I'm rating the taste low due to consistency. I got two 4-packs of pint cans to sample (I've never met a stout I didn't like) and the first one was watery tasting. The second batch really packed a punch though with deep roasted coffee and chocolate flavors. I would actually put it ahead of the big G IMHO.

M: Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...open wide and let it glide

D: The low ABV and great characteristics of this beer made it highly sessionable for me.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

Pretty basic dry stout here no surprises. Pours an extremely dark color with ample head. Smooth taste very easy to drink and has always been enjoyable for me. Nothing significant with this one although I do prefer the taste of Murphy's over Guinness.

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%

16-ounce can with a widget poured into a seidel yields a deep ruby-tinted ebony body awash in creamy goodness and capped with a finger of practically-solid cappuccino-colored foam that retains like foam rubber and sticks like thick whipped glue on the glass.

The aroma is chocolatey and toasty with sweet maltiness in abundance.

The drink is a bit chocolatey with a creamy café au lait thing going on. Laden with roasty notes of espresso with sweet milky smoothness on a nitro-velvety backbone, the drink is rich and yet still somewhat light-bodied with a soft, thin finish.

Extremely drinkable and a kick to enjoy out of the kitschy nitro-can, which really does make Murphy's look good!

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

wow, 522 reviews as of this writing. I have had this plenty of times but only now thought I should post a review. I had this in boston at a cigar bar. it was off hours and just my friends and I lounging. Round 1 beer, round 2 beer and a cigar. I thoroughly enjoyed the pairing and will happily have this beer many times in the future. Definetly worth a try.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

After being impressed by Murphy's Red I thought I would give the stout a try. The beer pours great, looks great, smells great...but after the exterior judging it falls apart. Perhaps it just doesn't match my taste buds. I felt like it was a really watered down beer. It was, I will admit, refreshing but I prefer something with a little more substance. I would love to taste a Murphy's Extra Stout if they have one.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer obviously pours a very dark brown/black color and has a light tan to off-white head. It smells of roasted malts, and tastes like Guinness without the sourness. It is a great example of a standard Irish stout. The mouthfeel would be better if it was nitro, however it has a nice low carbonation, making it easy to drink. I would seek this out on tap, but I don't know if it would be worth going out of your way for in the bottle.

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

My favorite stout so far..

Pours dark brown with an amber hue in the light. Gotta love the cascading produced by the nitro leading to a single finger head which lasts throughout the drink and leaves nice lacing.

Smells of roasted malts and coffee.

Sweet and creamy taste with little bitterness. Increadibly smooth.

Smooth mouthfeel.

Extremely drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

a: pours a nice deep dark black color with about a half inch of head that dissapears leaving sticky lacing around the edge of the glass and down the glass
s: roasted malts with some creamy sweetness hints of chocolate
t: roasted malts hints of chocolate sweet creamy flavor
m: medium to full bodied beer with a smooth low carbonation mouth feel

overall, this is a good brew and i can see myself getting it again

3.67/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a thick, rich black, as the head begins to foam to the top. A spoonable layer of head forms, and is retained for quite some time afterward. The body is medium, and the taste is dry throughout with subtle hints of caramel or roasted chocolate. This Stout finishes with a subtle coffee aftertaste, quite like sucking on an actual roasted coffee bean, which I used to do to pass the time while working the Coffee aisle at Shaw's.

2.35/5  rDev -37.2%

I really don't know where all the good ratings of this beer are coming from. It was hard for me to get through the can, which I ended up not finishing. The flavors were quite bland or muted by the dryness of the finish. Overall I don't really like the nitro-capsule effect. I would go for a guinness extra stout over the draught bottle any day. While some might posit that the flavors in guinness are made subtle by its creamy mouthfeel, I find it much more enjoyable than murphys. I guess I'll have to try it on tap or in a bottle to see if this beer has the potential that others claim it to have.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a luxurious near-black with tan head that is quite thick, dense, retains well, and has a beautiful contrast line wit the beer. That black to tan line is razor sharp. Gorgeous.

Nose has chocolate, whopper's candy nougat, and a big roasty component. Very appetizing.

On the palate it is delightfully dry in character, unlike so many stouts today purporting to be an Irish Stout. Unsweetened chocolate and roasty malt flavours come through nicely. Body is medium, perhaps perceived to be thicker than it is due to nitrogenation.

Finish is dry, roasty, and leaves a slight chalkly taste that is quite good.

One of the best imported stouts available in draught nitro can.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Beautiful rich black appearance with a thick foamy head that sticks to the side of the glass. Sweet coffee and roasted malt aroma. Bittersweet milky flavor with hints of coffee, chocolate, and nicely toasted malts. has the consistancy of a thin milkshake. Low carbonation, as it should be. Easy to drink. Very good.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

16 oz nitro-can poured into a pint glass.

A = Deep red mahogany, clear at edges but impenetrable in the middle, two finger foam head with very good retention.

S = Sweet caramel, bittersweet chocolate, light floral notes.

T = Tart at the tip of the tongue with light sweetness hitting at mid-palate light flavors of cocoa, caramel, coffee with skim milk all tempered by a good amount of bitterness at sides of tongue and a long bitter finish.

M = Light to medium-light body, no better than fair mouthcoating, fomay creamy mouthfeel.

D = A very drinkable light-bodied stout.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

A - pours an almost totally opaque black with one finger of creamy, frothy head. Nice lacing.

S - dark, nutty, and roasted, like a good cup of coffee.

T - delicious! One of my favorite stouts! Very nice coffee flavors. Perfectly roasted.

M - Nicely creamy with good carbonation.

D - good but heavy.

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

It pours a dense obsidian black, velvety and dark still at the margins. Cascades of nitrogen-fed bubbles offset a finger of tight mousse-like tan head. Dollops of lacing whip the inside of the glass.

The aroma is a somewhat sparse but notable for dabs of chocolate, dark coffee, and charred malt. Beyond that, it gets pretty hazy.

Upon tasting, the malt is so very briefly sweet, like burnt sugar before it goes acrid, but it falls short of that indignity. Chocolate and coffee again seep forth. A late-comer dash of toffee slides into a very dry and crisp finish. It's classic, I suppose, but quick and a bit thin.

A touch north of light bodied, it's especially soft, smooth, and creamy on the palate, like a blended shake or smoothie, but with a decidedly crisp close.

Talk about being all over the board. It looks enticing, feels seductive, and tastes and smells like a good stout but nothing that would make you scream and shout for more. And yet, as it slides down, it becomes more and more effortless to take the next sip. So while it's not exactly consistent, it ends up leaving a positive impression that means I'll never refuse one of these. In fact, I might just have to keep a four-pack on hand for those light-beer kind of evenings.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours black and opaque from the can with dark brown edges in the light. A thick one inch creamy light tan head forms on top with great retention.

The aroma holds some nice malty tones including coffee and chocolate.

Taste is ok with some decent coffee and chocolate tones.

Mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy with a still feel.

Drinkability is fairly high. Low alcohol and simple but pleasing flavors make consumption pretty easy.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Got this on tap at a pub by the same name. Deep brown almost black with excellent lush one finger head that was tan in the room lighting. Smell of roasted malts. Taste is the same, bit of a powdery feel and a dry finish. Great drinkability. This is what you'd expect from a dry Irish stout and I think I prefer it to the industry standard. I'll buy this again.

3.03/5  rDev -19%

A: Poured a dark, opaque, color with a solid 1 finger compact, creamy light beige head that left a spotty lacing behind.

S: very light and mild with fresh coffee grinds the only thing I could distinguish.

T: fresh, cold coffee and really smooth. A light, smooth, roasted malting and bitterness rounds things out. There was some dry vanilla and some chalkiness as well in the finish.

M: thin, very light, with a flat carbonation, compliments of the widget and a chalky finish.

D: Drinkability was pretty bland, and ordinary, sorry to say.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a: This was a very dark ruby red. It poured with a beautiful, creamy, light tan colored head that stuck around for a while.

s: Faint malty aromas that smell a bit like chocoloate.

t: This is quite dry, as the name would suggest. It tastes of smokey, chocolate malts with just a hint of bitterness.

m: Fantastic creamy carbonation, gotta love the nitro can.

d: I like this one quite a bit, but I prefer Beamish.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from nitro-can into nonic pint glass.

A - Very dark with two finger tan head that settles to a decent white cap. Some lacing.

S - I got the generic aroma of coffee, chocolate, and burnt bread as per most dry stouts, but nothing terribly deep or complex. Nitro-can is probably to blame for this issue.

T - Coffee, burnt coffee really, fairly dry and with less chocolate presence than other stouts. Some generic nut flavor is thrown in as well. Roasted malt is obvious, but further nuance is again masked by serving method. Fairly dry finish, again like black coffee.

M - Nice and creamy as most nitro cans with no carbonation. I love the way this/these beers feel. A little thick too.

D - It would probably be pretty easy to down a few of these, but my question is why? It's not a bad beer but at the end of it all I feel it's fairly one dimensional, not a good feeling about a stout. Nitro-cans are nice gadgets, but with fuller bodied beers like this I think they really mask a lot of otherwise interesting nuance. Is it Murphy's or just the can? I may never know.

3.59/5  rDev -4%

I was served a Murphy's with a two-finger beige head. It was dark brown, almost black in appearance. There's a scalded coffee ground smell to it. The taste is strong, and somewhat bitter. Mouthfeel is thick. This beer goes down easy. Highly drinkable and very close to Guinness Stout.

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

This is a decent Irish stout, far better than Guinness Draught but not up to the level of Guinness Extra Stout or many others. This is qualified, however, by the fact that I can only ever find it in a nitro can or on nitro tap and to me this always subdues the aromas and flavours. Even so, compared to others on nitro (like Beamish or Third Street Aleworks Blarney Sisters), this lacks character and body.

It is predictably dark, essentially black, with a tan, thick, creamy head that lasts forever.

The aroma is very mild, but pleasant burnt toast, hints of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is similar, toast, chocolate, coffee, rather dry, with pretty good sweet-bitter balance, but on a fairly thin, watery body.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a nitro-can into an Imperial Pint glass. Picked these up at Aquistapace in Covington, LA for $.99 a pint!!

A: Almost opaque midnight black. Faint shades of ruby are present when held to the light. Tight tan head forms to a little over a finger thick.

S: Faint coffee. Dark roasted malt.

T: Just as the nose detected. Faint coffee. Dry malty flavors.

M: Not substantial, but typical for style. Dry and mildly bitter.

D: A notch above Guinness in my book. Can pour back a few of these quite easily, with almost no consequences.

Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited