Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

I gotta be honest, I once went an entire summer drinking primarily Murphy's. The store down the street where I lived at the time sold them for something like $1.88 per nitro can.

When you pour this, the darkness envelopes you. then you notice the cascading effect...so fun to watch. A thick FROTHY off white head at least 2" thick.

It's very aromatic, chocolate and smoked hops!

Taste is equally as robust, and Soooo Creamy, this is why I was hooked for so long! It's creamy frothyness. Sometimes it's not as thick and creamy. excelent blalnce here, malty sweet and slightly bitter hops are fighting for dominance. neither will win.

This one is off the chart in the drinkability catagory because with an ABV% of 4 I could, and have drank these all day.

06-10-2006 00:56:33 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
scottoale

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours from the 16fl.oz. nitro can , an ultra dark (almost black) mahogany brown with a creamy, frothy cocoa head. The blllowy upwelling of nitrogen eases off as the head eventually settles to 1/2 inch with some thick, sturdy lacing to follow.

Smells of dark roasted malt, coffee grinds, baking chocolate, some mild green hops and a hint of alcohol. Has kind of an earthy, musty aroma as well, can't place it.

Tastes as it smells, without the musty fragrance. It starts with a subtle sweetness, very short lived as the coffee bitterness kicks in, followed by bitter baking chocolate, then not so bitter hops that leave your mouth cleanly dry with some nice bitter aftertaste.

Medium to heavy in body, with a bittery, creamy mouthfeel. A good, easy drinkin, solid Dry Stout, very tasty and mildly alcoholic...cheers!

06-05-2006 14:03:44 | More by scottoale
znarf

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Murphy's Stout is not as popular in Southwest Ireland as is Guinness. Been to the homeland and tried both and prefer Murphy's. This is because to me Guinness has little flavor compared to other stouts. This is true in the US and Ireland. Murphy's Stout has stronger chocolate and coffee flavors that adds to its appeal. Would pick Murphy's over Guinness any day. Guinness just has better marketing.

06-03-2006 20:35:30 | More by znarf
oldirtycaffrey

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

Though it seems that Murphy's has a better reputation on Beeradvocate.com than Guinness, I couldn't tell too much difference between the two. However, Murphy's was a little less "foamy" towards the end. The appearance is dark black with an inch creamy head which stays consistent throughout. Leaves a good lacing on the glass. The taste is excellent - very robust and with a good chocolate aftertaste. The smell is also robust with hints of chocolate. Ultimately, it's extremeley smooth - could have these all night. I can't say it's a lot better than Guinness, but it does give it a run for its money.

05-29-2006 00:11:13 | More by oldirtycaffrey
dbalsock

Vermont

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

appearance: dark/black, with bountiful head

smell: where is it? can't really pick it up, and when i can... don't smell anything awesome or special

taste: yummy, i think this is one of the better irish stout imports, by one of the better... i mean best, clearer taste than guiness, just a tad better.

mouthfeel: smoother than a guiness and not quite as heavy... if i remember correctly, maybe their the same, but i like murphy's better

drinkability: easily drinkable all night, not to thick, not too rich. The 4% alcohol makes it easy too, very well done session brew

05-07-2006 07:58:17 | More by dbalsock
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

I was really hoping for something more. I tried this a long time ago before I was drinking the dark beers and didn't like it then. I had another yesterday and was looking forward to it as I feel like I've come to appreciate this type of beer. Boy, was I disappointed, this beer has nothing on a Guinness, it tasted bland. It has a coffee taste to it w/ out the roasted malt hint that is so important in a beer like this. It also tasted on the flat side. The appearance is very nice though, the lacy head lasts until the bottom and then leaves a hunk of foam on the bottom of the glass. I can drink it and I don't dislike it, but clearly not a competitor of Guinness or a good stout or porter in my opinion.

05-05-2006 12:54:53 | More by beeroclock
BeerBob

Nebraska

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

Murphy’s Draught Style “STOUT” pourers a Cole sack reddish black from a 16oz nitro can. head is off the scale... Massive... Lacing... Massive.

Nose is a damp charcoal... Palate is a dry Kingsford Charcoal Brickets... I was looking for coffee... anything sweet... Fig... Licorice... anything...

My take?... A rather dry Black, some what viscus black foamy liquid, that goes not much over a three pointer in my book.

05-02-2006 08:17:27 | More by BeerBob
cro250klr

2.73/5  rDev -27%

I'm a Belgian strong dark B.A. So, at the time this was the only dark available. I figured I had tasted Guinness befrore, this seemed to be the same, so may as well give it a shot. It's got the same smooth nitro mouthfeel as Guinness, but it' s a bit ligheter on the abv. Same chocolaty, malty taste but just a tad sweeter. I wasn''t too impressed. Especially at $3 + a can for such a low abv brew. It brought back the same wallet crunching memories I have of Sam Adams Chocloate Bock for $22 a 750ml. I was involved in some good conversation and, before I knew it, had five of these down. For the money that I spent, I don't think this one was worth it. Much better than any BMC offering, but that doesn't say much.

04-26-2006 01:57:09 | More by cro250klr
unknownlamer

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

I wasn't expecting much from this, but it stood up really well.

I will be honest. This was the best looking beer I have ever seen. A perfect still black with a not-quite-white perfect head up to the rim. Nitro beers do have that wonderful look.

It smelled of moderately strong roasted grain. Not terribly complex. Just the generic dry stout smell, but stronger than Guiness. The taste was nicely roasty and chocolately. The hops interact with the grain wonderfully giving a light berryish taste (think the smell of a berry plant vs the fruit). The taste is a bit subdued, but still very much there (vs almost flavorless guiness). It has a nice roast bite at the end (which is what bumps it up to a 4 for taste).

The mouthfeel is the one disappointing part. Even with the nitro smoothness it is a bit watery. This is a decent stout.

04-22-2006 03:58:03 | More by unknownlamer
silver1audi

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

A truly great beer. Poured into a standard pint glass it's almost black (as probably expected...) with a very rich and super creamy head that lasts throughout the entire drinking experience. Tastes of chocolate and coffee are present and the mouth feel is a little lighter than I expected and a little less carbonated. Very drinkable.

This is a truly great beer. Not extraordinary, but very good. Perfect type of beer to always have in stock in your fridge. It's great when you just want a really good brew and are in the mood for something easy and that won't get you wasted if you decide to have a few in one sitting. IMO far more enjoyable than Guinness, though I do like Guinness in the nitro-can as well. Also good for someone new to the world of stouts. Highly recommended.

04-13-2006 16:25:33 | More by silver1audi
goochpunch

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours out an opaque black with shimmering brown at the edge of the glass. Thick, creamy, off-white head and thick lacing as well. Smells like a dry stout from a nitro can. Slight roasted malt. Tastes chocolatey and quite roasty with the ever-present nitro can taste. Get's a bit watery in flavor in the finish. Mouthfeel is soft, creamy, but too thin.

Not bad considering this bastard spewed all over me and my kitchen, causing me to have to clean the walls while missing the cascading nitro. Suffers from the typical nitro problems but still miles ahead of Guinness draught.

04-12-2006 23:23:12 | More by goochpunch
styrene

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a curvy Guinness glass.

Appearance: Perfect creamy head on top of a deep, dark body.

Smell: light and malty..in general, the nose doesn't suggest much.

Taste: Caramel-y, roasted malt dominates, with just a hint of bitterness. There's a bit of alcohol presence in the finish, as well as a more robust dark, bitter, nearly-burnt malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Unctuous, as I would have expected from a nitro-stout, though a bit light in the end.

Drinkability: I could drink stouts like this all night. Served cold, this beer is quite refreshing.

This is a very good stout. Nothing is outstanding, but this stands up to, and would perhaps precede, Guinness any day.

04-09-2006 03:39:14 | More by styrene
PeatReek

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Opaque black body with perfect nitro head, ecru in color. I renew my protest against the need to make an "appearance" rating for stouts. Smells affirmatively nutty with notes of roast biteyness. The first sip... my god it's easy to mistake this for Guinness. This only the third nitro stout I've ever had so I guess that's no surprise really. The taste is slightly nuttier, less hop-bitter, and slightly fuller-bodied than the old standby; I actually slightly prefer it. It's as if they nitro'd the Guinness extra-stout. As to drinkability, well, I could pound Irish stout all night long and have on many occasions; I imagine this one would fit the bill nicely.

04-09-2006 01:47:36 | More by PeatReek
Frozensoul327

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this on tap last night. Came out to a dark black color with a creamy head that stay until the bottom of the glass. Amazing well drawn by the bar tender. Smell was fair, some dry malt and chocolate. Flavors along the same lines, and remained very easy on the palate. Very drinkable considering the lower ABV. I'm gonna have to compare a canned or bottled version. Highly Recommended. A step up from Guinness.

04-08-2006 17:32:37 | More by Frozensoul327
Drew966

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Murphy's Irish Stout pours a thick black color with a tan, typical nitro head. The aroma is lacking, probably because it's a nitro beer. Nothing bad mind you, just not much of anything. Taste has notes of chocolate, coffee and most notable to me, licorice. The flavor is somewhat bitter, but not in an unpleasant way. This is my favorite of the Guiness/Beamish/Murphy's trio. A good example of the style, recommended.

03-30-2006 01:42:09 | More by Drew966
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours the usual nitro cascading head -
Smell of iron and roasted barley - Very mild. Tastes the same - creamy, airy...VERY similar to Guinness. Not much complexity in the flavor. Only difference between it and Guinness is maybe this has a very (very) slight more body.
A fun one to drink on St. Patty's day - Cool to look at. Easy to drink quite a few of, though a metallic taste is left after a few.

03-29-2006 04:11:52 | More by jwc215
biergeniesser

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

This .5l nitro can of Murphy’s stout poured a clear dark brown to black and exhibited ruby red tones when held to the light. It cascaded nicely and slowly to produce a thick creamy persistent tan colored head. As with most dry Irish stouts, it laces heavily.

The aroma of Murphy’s is very slight, what is perceptible is creamy roastiness and alcohol.

The flavor of Murphy’s is also very slight, but very clean. It is dominated by creamy yet dry roastiness. It has no perceptible hop bitterness or aroma… its noticeable bitterness is due likely to the roasted barley in the grist.

Murphy’s stout has a very light body. Although a slight creaminess is evident, it also feels rather thin, but finishes with a clean dryness.

Although this is not my personal favorite of the big three dry Irish stouts, it is still quite good.

03-27-2006 18:18:40 | More by biergeniesser
Enola

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

The beer poured into an imperial pint with a thick creamy head. The nitro beers are fun to watch due to the settling that occurs. It is fairly dark with hints of red when held to the light. The smell is of roasted coffee. The taste is roasted grains. This is a slightly more bitter beer than others of the style. Not so much that it affects smoothness though. I could drink these in session. I will drink these again. Runnning neck and neck for best of the style in my opinion.

03-25-2006 18:51:17 | More by Enola
charlatan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

Slightly lighter than the standard stout appearance with lots of carbonation apparent on the side of my glass. This has an understated but pleasant roasted malt nose with absolutely no hint of extravagant extras thrown in.

As the bog standard, lame, watery ubiquitous stouts go this one ranks a little higher than the rather more pricey Guinness. The taste is rather one dimensional but pleasant with roasted malt to the fore and hint of aged banana skin along with the creamy taste of cheaper pasteurised beer which is sadly standard in these parts and a much too faint hoppy edge. The feel is watery without as much carbonation as promised by the beer's appearance, but regardless this slides down easily enough for it make a passable session beer. I recall it tasting a little better on draught.

03-24-2006 22:15:41 | More by charlatan
wcudwight

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a pitch black with your typical nitro head that is a solid retaining 2 fingers thick. Smells like that liquer chocolate that my friend from Switzerland used to bring me. The taste is smooth. This is the best of the nitro Irish Stouts that I've had. Sweet, milky, and coffee. Feels good and thick in the mouth. I've always liked the way the nitro head feels on my lips as I sip. Overall this is a very drinkable beer, that is good enough to session. Like I said this is my favorite of the nitro Irish Stouts.

03-23-2006 03:06:09 | More by wcudwight
kmo1030

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

nice dark brown with a fine tightly bubbled niotro head.
grainy aroma with coffee and chocolate notes.
the taste is also grainy with smooth coffee qualities and some faint bitterness, more from coffee than from hops. chocolate begins to come out as it warms. finishes witha real pleasant dryness.
medium, but super creamy body. little detectable carbonation, exept for slight tingling on the tongue.
very drinkable, mild, but good tasting. and for what it is, a nitro stout, very good.

03-21-2006 02:06:14 | More by kmo1030
aquatonex

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought a single can to do an Irish car bomb for St Patty's Day :). Left some over to rate. Was looking for something 'other' than Guinness that would, hopefully, be of higher quality. I was pleasantly surprised.

Pours dark (of course), nearly opaque brown. Good 'stout' foam head, a couple of fingers tall, nice retention. Lacing was good also. Smells a lot better than Guinness. Slight chocolate notes, malts in the nose and the taste. Creamy, not watery, very good texture and mouthfeel. This would be my choice for canned stouts.

03-19-2006 01:55:38 | More by aquatonex
Iguana

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, I'm having this a day after St. Paddy's day but oh well. Poured beautifully into a Guinness glass. Lots of carbonation that cascaded and finalized into a nice creamy half inch head. I took a picture of it because it just looked like a perfect beer to me. That nice dark brown/black with creamy head on top just looks beautiful. Not too much in the nose, little bready but nothing else jumps out at me. Taste is solid, I dont think I would be able to tell the difference between Beamish, Guinness or this out of nitro can in a blind taste test, but I know I like it. Feels silky smooth going down and leaves a slightly dry bitter taste on the tip of the tongue. I truly enjoy this beer everytime I have it, which everytime I say to myself is not enough. I feel I could drink this beer at any occasion and be happy.

03-19-2006 01:51:34 | More by Iguana
ahking

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Hard not to like this beer. Probably the best Irish stout in the nitro-can, though it has been a while since I had Beamish. Pours a jet black, cascading into a large fluffy tan head that sticks around until the bitter end. Smoother and a little sweeter than Guiness. Aroma is light and hard to pick up when served chilled. Still, I can sense aromas of whole grain bread, rough hewn wood, and light chocolate. Flavor is well balanced. More chocolate and sweet bread in the palate.

Mouthfeel is expectedly creamy and smooth. Little carbonation here, though this is true to the style. Drinkability is high since this is a medium bodied, dry stout, not a heavy American or Imperial style. It would follow also that hop bitterness and aroma is not as high as in a Imperial or Sweet stout. Lower ABV makes this a nice session brew.

03-18-2006 20:58:03 | More by ahking
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pint for St. Paddy's Day. Pours an inky black with a thick creamy tan head, tiny bubbles and lots of lace rings, good retention. Smell is sweet chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a little iron/cherry. Taste is dry roasted coffee, chocolate, little bit of cherry and some vanilla. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation, very creamy and smooth. A decent stout, head above Guinness.

03-18-2006 19:48:52 | More by Viggo