Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,098 | Reviews: 960
4.28/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

For a beer poured from a can, within the comforts of my own home, this is by far the best I think I can get. It's head was outstanding, and its flavor terrific. I served it up very cold (like I personally enjoy) and it went down so smooth. Yum! The 4-pack didn't last very long, however. I'd like to see this beer come in a bottle, however.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

Presentation: Arrived in a logoed glass, wtill reverse cascading from the nitro pour.

Appearance: Thick, creamy, light tan nitro head, probbaly 3/4 inch. Sticks around for the whole beer, even though the weather is getting kind of warm and muggy. The beer itself is black, with a hint of brown around the edges.

Smell: Light scent of roasted barley with hints of chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Rich and creamy. Roasted barley with a slight hint of sourness. Decent level of lacto creaminess, almost like a milk stout. Undertones of chocolate and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Low carboantion level. Nice body.

Drinkability: I had this one sitting ont he patio at a local Irish bar and it certainly hit the spot. Guinness may be the ubiquitious irish stout, but this one is much better.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Nitro-can with widget. Came in a nice 4-pack, at a very good price of 4.50.

Good stout appearance of cascading effect, caused by the nitrogen. Basic stout color and body, with frothy head.

Aromas of dark sweet malts.

Taste is smooth and creamy, and balances its flavors much better than its larger competitor. Rich sweet malt with light bitterness. Clean on palate. Very dry finish.

My favorite Irish stout, and go to stout whenever I can get it.

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

16 oz. nitro-can poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a glossy black colour. After the surging subsides you're left with a better-than-average nitro-can head -- dense, creamy, light tan, and a bit too placid.

Smell: Coffee is the first thing I notice, followed by some toffee and other roasted malt flavors.

Taste: Has a malty, milk chocolate-like taste, with a bit of coffee thrown in. Light bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A viscous medium-bodied beer that is quite smooth. Minimal carbonation. Seems to have a bit of that typical nitro-can feel.

Drinkability: Low ABV and generally fine taste, though the coffee and chocolate is a bit too much for me at times.

A generally nice beer, though some of the flavors aren't to my typical liking. I believe that many aspects of this beer suffer from the nitro-can -- it's probably much better in it's natural state. Generally common in the can and worth trying, though I don't really anticipate getting this again.

2.81/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Poured an impenetrable black hue with a good finger and a half of foamy, dense head brought on by the nitro widget. The thick head provided good retention in the glass.

S: Toasted malt scent with a weird undertone, as if something went slightly awry. There's a bit of roasted coffee and hints of chocolate, but again, some was a bit off.

T: A quite watery taste with a bit of a malty base underneath. Very washed out on the flavor, possibly due to the nitro, or maybe just the beer itself. Something didn't seem quite right, as the maltiness seemed flattened out and not as pleasing to the palate.

M: Syrupy and thick mouthfeel, but the watery texture to it made all the foaminess seem a little put-on. Quite odd, but would probably even out a lot better on tap as opposed to the nitro-can.

D: In the past, I was more of a champion for Murphy's in the Irish Dry Stout category, but now I'm not so sure. The flavors didn't seem as robust as they once did. I'll have to give this one another try though, because I'd hate to see a fairly reliable stout go down the tubes.

3.74/5  rDev 0%

16 oz. can - color of dark black , with a two toned head after pour gray , and frothy tan settles with heavy long lasting tan head - nose of milk chocolate , malty , and anise – taste of milk chocolate , malty , milky , and bitter chocolate - body is creamy , smooth , and slight bitterness – aftertaste of maltyness , slight bitterness , and milk chocolate

4.6/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now this is a fine Irish stout much better than a Guinness I do believe but that's just my opinion well ok lets start this review.

Serving type 16 oz nitro can poured into my 22 oz mug glass.

Appearance: Just simply amazing quezzacotyl would be the word for it wonderful black body with a nice creamy tan head that stays! actually stays! it foams and dissapates to about 1 inch but still stays at 1 inch! now that's a beer.

Smell: Wonderful dark malty aromas, nice chocolate and coffee tones to the mix.

Taste and mouthfeel: Great I love it! creamy and smooth the way of the true beer as I call it the only reason I didn't give it fives was the lack of it's other flavours but that it being a stout it should'nt have all that pizazz but it ranks high among classic brews and after all who likes to drink a few GREAT beers and be wasted? not I.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Serving Type Sampled: 16oz. Nitro-Can

Appearance: Dark brown almost black with crimson hue. Creamy tan head that last throughout.

Smell: Burnt chocolate malts, mild espresso note.

Taste: As the nose indicates this stout tastes of burnt malts, very apparent chocolate flavor I also taste coffee. Slightly sour and a bit astringent in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, a lot lighter that the pour would suggest. Very light carbonation that by the end of the glass is gone. Which in my opinion is okay. This beer can be enjoyed at still at cellar tempratures.

Drinkability: Great. I could drink this often. With the girly 4% ABV this makes for a pretty good session beer. Also make a great black and tan.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Wow at first it looked like a coffee milk shake, but after it settled it was a pitch black color with a creamy tan head.

Smell - Roasted malts and coffee.

Taste - Roasted taste with a dry taste at the end, no carbination. Kinda flat after awhile

Mouthfeel - Creamy, kinda think and roasted.

Drinkability - Not the same as a Guiness.You should try both and compare them. Very similar,but diffrent.

3.64/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer pours a pitch black color with some red hues and a perfect thick, fine-bubbled head.

Smell is burned and oily from flaked barley or oats (?) with some earthy notes.

Taste is slightly burned in a mild way with some faint oily notes. Some stock or meaty notes from the yeast. The yeast gives a little fruitiness. All very mild and very digestable, but nothing too exciting. Yesterday I had the 3F Black Sun, which also was not very much my taste. So this is probably my taste that is different.

3.99/5  rDev +6.7%

16oz. Nitro-can
$6.49 4-Pack
Sam's Downers Grove

Murphy's Stout poured the perfect looking pint out of the nitro-can. Darkest of brown body bordering on black with mahogany highlights when held to the light. Delicious looking cascade on the pour that formed a 2 finger head that acted like meringue and never went away. Left big sticky lacing with each drink.

Smell is mildly roasted malts with a touch of some dark roast in there. Mild floral aroma that's pleasant along with the smallest amount of coffee bitterness.

Flavor is much like the aroma. Mildly roasted malts go far in this beer along with a small and simple creaminess that becomes slightly sweet. Finishes with a lingering dark malt bitterness.

The body is thick and sublimely creamy and smooth. Finishes dry and leaves a nice lingering bitterness.

This is a good easy drinking stout. A stout you could easily sit down and enjoy a few at a time. Good beer for a good price.

Murphy's Irish Stout is definately a quality brew. One that I have passed on far too many times. I picked some up for St. Patty's Day and I'm glad I did. A nice treat.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%

Served with a rich dense cappuccino head that was lasting and left glorious lacing on the glass. The aroma was dominated by roasted barley. Taste was good and typical of an authentic Irish dry stout. The beer was good and refreshing for one that dry. While I prefer a good American stout, it's good to catch up with the origins of the style once and a while.

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Had on tap, thought I might as well review it. Looks pretty good, nice dark black/brown with a two-finger brown head that lingers. Smell is straight forward malts and chocolate. Taste follows suit, with mild but nice roasty malts. Mouthfeel is slightly thin but not bad. Drinkability is very high on this one, especially with the low ABV. A great session beer.

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a classic for me. One of the first beers I had that I couldn’t see through. Love the look, almost completely black with a large, light tan, creamy head with great retention. Lots of sticky lace. The smell is mild and roasty. Chocolate, coffee aromas are most prominent in the nose, but not very loud at all. In fact the nose in pretty tame, and the taste follows suit, being a bit watery after a while. But still the creamy mouthfeel is wonderful. I could drink this stuff all night! Dark and flavorful, but not heavcy and cloying. Yep, still a classic to me.

4.6/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Not quite as black as guiness, doesn't lace like it either. One finger of malted milkball, nitro head. Soft smells of milk, chocolate, roasty grain. This is a creamy brew with herbal hop flavor upfront, roasted grain characters that are both fuller and softer than those of its cousins. Light sweetness comes out at the back. Has none of the metallic flavors of Guiness. I know this kind of like splitting hairs between BMC, but I think I favor this over Guiness or Beamish. It is really smooth and creamy and just more drinkable. Aftertaste really straddles coffee and chocolate. It is very light, and hard to decide which it is. In the mouthfeel dept. this is very light for stout, and silky-smooth.

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

In one of my first BA reviews, I trashed Guinness Draught -- I thought it tasted watery. I think this stuff is a little better -- but still watery. Maybe that is just the style for these stouts in the newfangled pop!-hiss! packaging.

Poured dark amber with the huge cascading head that you get from those gimmicky nitro cans/bottles. Aroma is nice, and a little more hoppy than usual for a stout. Taste is . . . I'm sorry -- watery. There is sweetness, and hoppyness, and maltyness, and it would be a really nice and well-rounded stout, if only there weren't that annoying thin watery feeling on the tongue.

Maybe I'm just old-fashoned.

2.69/5  rDev -28.1%

A - Dark brown to almost black stout. 2" khaki colored perfect collar of a head cascades up. Excellent retention. Good lace.

S - Mild roasted malts. Cocoa. Very muted overall.

T - Very mild roasted malt. Slight fruit. Cocoa powder in finish. Slight bitterness from the roasted malts in the end.

M - Seems thin bodied for this style -- especially the nitro. Low carbonation.

D - No thank you. I tried it now on to something else.

1.93/5  rDev -48.4%

Based on a friends recommendation I picked up some Murphy's Irish Stout in the pub draft can, to be honest I wasn't impressed.
I poured it into a clean glass. It had a dark body but a thin head which surprised me. It had a slight malty smell, but had what I thought was a stale odor. The taste was bland with not much malt or any real flavor which really surprised me. The feel was watery and average and the overall drinkability quite boring. I don't think I'll drink it again.

2.66/5  rDev -28.9%

It's coming up on irish beer drinking season so I thought I'd try this one on tap.
Appearance was average. Dark, opaque color but no cascade and head was not much.
Not much aroma either. Slight roasted malt.
The taste was watery and kind of bland. Just not much there. Mouthfeel was very light bodied and again, watery.
Average drinkability. I could pound these down but they wouldn't be very enjoyable.
Irish dry stouts are the "in" thing this time of year but out of the big three; Beamish, Guiness and Murphy's I would choose Beamish hands down.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Dark, opaque beer, with one finger head and lots of lacing

S - Good, roasted malty smell

T - Like the aroma, a malty smell with lots of roasted coffee scent, especially in the aftertaste

M - Very little carbonation (like a Guinness), but a smooth drink

D - For a stout, fairly drinkable; the taste is so good that I'd go back for two or three

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

This was beer two in my three Irish dry stouts from Trader Joe's showdown. The results were #1 Black Toad, #2 Murphy's, and #3 Black Hart.

Appearance: The pour is dark red to black with the perfect nitro head.

Smell: The nose has roasted malts and chocolate milk. Imagine a black and tan with Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Tetley's.

Taste: Effing nitrogen... There's none of the chocolate from the aroma and the roasted malts are subdued by a creamy blandness. It's a very simple beer. Not a lot to pick out or savor.

Mouthfeel: The body is light, creamy, and silky smooth.

Drinkability: It's easy to slam a pint, but it's not so exciting to savor the bland flavor.

2.91/5  rDev -22.2%

Looks a dark brown at first but lets through some cola coloring around the edges of my pint. The head is a tan-grey cream that stuck around ‘till the end leaving a heavy coat of foam behind.

Smells of powdery chocolate, creamy baking yeast and a fruity pear mixed with a pinch of brown sugar. Over all, it smells a bit dry.

Tastes of a watered down brown sugar and molasses that picks up a little tootsie roll before plummeting into a foul, cardboard, medicinal dryness that is probably going to force my hand into drinking this all in one slug.

Feels light and airy with minimal residual nitrogen carbonation.

With the foul aftertaste lingering in my palate, it’s hard to say much nice about its drinkability.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours dark as night, with a creamy tan coloured nitro head. Good retention. Extremely creamy mouthfeel, light and fluffy. Has a touch of roastiness and chocolate, but not much flavour overall. Very easy to drink and I much prefer this over Guinness at any irish pub.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

In search of Beamish, I picked up a four pack of this Irish Stout.

This stout pours very dark with a nice half-inch to an inch thick head which remains until the end of the beer (poured into an oversized pint glass). The smell, I thought, could have been a little stronger. It seemed rather subtle to me, even though I am very new to the idea of reviewing the characteristics of beer. But I felt it was a little subtle, really.

I enjoy the taste of this beer quite a bit. I found it to be fairly rich and you can really taste and smell the roast while drinking. The mouthfeel was also very smooth and I very much enjoyed drinking this beer.

I'm very new to reviewing the characteristics of beer and I'm very new to beer in general. This Irish Stout is a beer that I will likely keep on hand for a long time to come and I would recommend it for anyone interested in a stout.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

Served from a nitro can into a tulip pint glass with a beautiful dark color.
Smell-Not much smell but a bit of burnt coffee.
Taste- burnt coffee and some bitter chocolate a great tasting beer
Mouthfeel- was medium bodied and smooth as silk , somewhat thin but thicker than Guinness
Drinkability- this was a very drinkable brew and again without trashing Guinness the Murphy's had more flavor and a thicker feel while being highly drinkable. My personal favorite is Beamish but this is a very satisfying Irish stout.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Murphy's Irish Stout from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited