Murphy's Irish Stout - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

good

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Murphy's Irish Stout Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

Well, it looks great. I think it is pretty hard to award a nitro less than a 5. The cascading cream and perfect head are par for the course with a nitro, but still I love it every time. One could throw back several of these without really noticing. That's both a good and a bad thing. Yes, it this is a penultimate session beer, but there just isn't much flavor. There's some roasted malt flavor and all in all it is pretty thin. Good pub beer? Yes. Beer to really sit and enjoy? Nope.

swamiswamu, Feb 11, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

I'll always be a bit biased towards Murphy's as it was my "gateway" beer. The first beers I had tried did not deserve the title (you know the type, they're commonly found at college parties). I was convinced that beer was a lost cause. Then when in Cork, a friend of mine offered to buy me a pint of Murphy's, I declined initially as I believed I did not like beer, but he insisted. I am glad that he did. I was amazed! Beer wasn't an aquired taste afterall, it was down right wonderful! As such I'm still a bit biased towards Murphy's. While better beers do exist (I'm partial to Barleywines myself, and Trappist Ales), Murphy's is a good solid Irish stout. It's more drinkable and has a more complex and full bodied flavor than Guinness, without the metallic harshness that plague's it's better known cousin. A solid choice, I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good stout.

Illini5596, Jan 11, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours black with a ruby hue and one inch of creamy tan head that stays well down to the bottom of the glass. The smell is that of roasted malt. Hints of coffee and toffee in the taste and it finishes with a simple mild malty taste. A very smooth beer due to the nitro-can serving. A fairly decent stout, on par with guinness, and for £3 for a 4-pack I'll certainly be buying more of these.

foamer, Dec 04, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Holy old review in a notebook Batman!

Pours out dark tan and sits dark brown in the class with crimson sides. Large creamy off-white head that lasts and lasts...

Smells nice and roasty with a thick, yeasty background. Maltiness abundant.

Tastes of coffee, toasted bread and roasted grain. Finished with good bitterness, dry and some decent hop flavor.

Very smooth, nice and full body. Couldn't be much closer to a Guinness. Easy drinking from start to finish, easy to handle.

Skidz, Nov 29, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Am partial to stouts so I am a little biased towards such beers.

I like the dark nature of the stouts, this one was a nice dark one with a little red showing through. The head was not too thick, maybe a 1/4 inch, but it lasted all the way through.

Smell was not so strong at first, then it opened up while drinking. They say taste is like 75% smell so I see how so here.

Tasted good, nice and smooth. Not as bitter as Gunniess which at the time I was drinking it was a good thing for that is not what I was looking for. A little on the mild side though. The texture was light and was nice and crisp.

On the note of preference: I will be buying more of this. Not something I would turn down nor shy away from.

halo21, Oct 26, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Dark black color and a very creamy head. The head remains for a long time.
Smell: Good maltiness and sweetness.
Taste: I think this compares somewhat to Guiness, only a little better. It's thicker and creamier. An excellent example of an Irish Stout.
Mouthfeel: Really creamy and enticing.
Drinkability: Makes a fine session beer for a stout.

jvajda, Oct 12, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I like dry stouts a great deal, but this one left only a marginal impression upon me. I liked the visual component enhanced by the nitro widget thing. The slow tumultuous settling is entertaining to watch and the head was not so violent upon cracking the can as to be unmanageable. After settling, the black body sat crowned with two fingers of dense creamy head. A light grassy smell dwelled in muted tones beneath the head and only broke through late in the game.

The flavor makes a nod towards sweetness and winks at roasted grains. But for the most part it is simply dry with an exceptionally clean finish. It’s easy to drink, but a bit simplistic, especially after the nitro wears off, the mouthfeel loses its initial appeal, and the taste rises higher towards the surface.

I enjoyed this beer and fondly remember many years ago hitchhiking through Ireland and drinking Murphy’s at every occasion. Years later I’ve got Murphy’s in a can in Portland, Oregon and while it’s still good, it does lack for excitement.

RedDiamond, Oct 03, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours nice, looks nice, not as big a head as I'd like and there are some ruby hues.

The smell is that of grain and coffee, very faint for a stout.

Upfront this tastes like bitter malt, almost like malts trying to be hops (if that makes any sense), fading into bitter coffee. The aftertaste is a smooth coffee with a faint hint of bread and alcohol. Nice tastes, but kind of weak. I thought at first that I might have been drinking it too cold, but it's the same at any temp.

The body is just a wee bit on the thin side, for a stout. Pretty good but not great. Goes down smooth.

This is strange because of the bitterness. I mean, it's bitter but there's no hops. What's the deal?

mynie, Oct 02, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

looks pretty damn good poured into a tall glass. forms dense 2cm thick biege head. well, more a layer of foam than a head thanks to our friend mr. widget.
lightish sweet, malty, nutty aroma.
very smooth flavor and mouthfeel. taste mainly dark chocolate with some roastedness as well. all very mellow.
doesnt make you jump out of your seat, but certainly does what it should, and does it well.

joecast, Sep 28, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark black nitrous pour with zero light getting thru under a bit of a halo ring.

Barely detectable scents of basically nothing. No off scents. That's the best aspect.

First swigs: Just a lot of watery burnt flavors with the signature tight velvety nitrous pour. This is not a stout in the true sense of the flavor. Maybe a porter but watery.

The feel is superlative creamy soft but not overly impressive.

Last swigs: An ok beer bar drinker that needs to be warmer than this was served to me. Had to try it for beer research sake. Will never have this again.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Sep 28, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A nitro can brought back from Ireland by my dear sister.
Aroma: Heavy dark roasted malt with traces of peat, smoke, bran, and cream. Very complex.
Appearance: Black glass with the standard reverse cascade nitro effect on the pour leaving a thick mocha head that laced in sheets.
Flavor: Overall, surprisingly mild given all the smells that preceded it. The entire flavor is there, even heavier on the peat, smoke, and burnt coffee, but only as substantial as mist.
Mouthfeel: Creamy, light body, very little carbonation, and a dry finish with a slight mouthcoat.
Overall: I'm going to go with the Guinness crowd, but this is an enjoyable Dry Stout. Flavorful, rich, light, quaffable. Drinkability is very good, an excellent session beer and a thirst quencher. Recommended.

HardTarget, Sep 25, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a deepest ruby color with a creamy light tan colored head upon settling. Aromas of roasted malts, chocolate, subdued hops and an air of fruitiness. Flavors of sweet roasted barley, Challenger hops, coffee, chocolate and an oxidized, metallic taste that suggests smoked ham. Reasonably dry finish to a sweeter dry Irish stout. Pretty good beer, and I don't really care for nitrogenated beers. I hadn't had one in a long while. I thought I remembered preferring Murphy's over other Irish stouts, but it'd been that long since I had one. I could put down a dozen pints between dinner and last call on St. Patrick's Day if I was feeling Irish...

crookedhalo, Aug 30, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured out as very dark and left a nice big head that lasted very well. The lacing is pretty impressive and covers most of the glass.

The smell is plain but decent, with some roasting evident. The taste is very similar. Malts come through strong from start to finish, although a touch of bitterness eventually takes over.

The usual nitro-can properies take over in the mouthfeel. It seems a little thin considering the other properties of the beer, but is otherwise good.

watermelonman, Aug 28, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

The color is Dark brown nearly black with a hint of mahogony when in direct light. Has a very thick light brown head that stays and stays. It was very hard for me to pick up much aroma thru that thick head. I did manage to pick up some maltyness with maybe a hint of butter. The flavor had a definite coffee and chocolate presence and a good roasted malt bitterness on the finish.

ybnorml, Aug 17, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

From a 16 oz. nitro can (as pictured, at least at the date of this review).

Pours jet black with tan, creamy head that lasts and lasts. If you hold it up to birght light, you can see some clear, ruby colored highlights. Very inviting roasted malt notes dominate the nose.

I really like the roasted flavors in Murphy's Stout. It's roasty, with some coffee and chocolate notes, but without a sharp, stabbing bitterness from the dark grains. Conversely, it's not a stout that wimps out by using a lot of the more lightly roasted malts, like chocolate malt, either. It tastes to me like the dark roasted grains are just balanced perfectly by the hardness of the water. The hop bitterness and flavor hide just below the roastiness, supporting it and keeping the aftertaste from getting too sweet.

From the nitro can, Murphy's has a somewhat creamy, somewhat prickly mouthfeel. To be perfectly honest, I like Murphy's (and most other dry stouts in general) pushed by CO2 just like regular beers. The nitro packaging doesn't wreck the presentation for me, but I prefer a little bit more "CO2 prickly" mouthfeel in this (and most other) stouts. It's still good this way.

The obvious comparison here is to Guinness Stout. I actually like Murphy's a bit better, although I do enjoy Guinness a lot. For me, the roasted malt character of Murphy's seems "fresher" and better done. I can also put away more Murphy's in a sitting than I can Guinness, which starts to bog me down.

chriscolby, Jul 26, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

An excellent example of a stout. The tap pours an out of this world head thickness and retention. Off white, extremely dense fluffy foam is present throughout. Pure black color. Smell is subtle, of slight malt. Taste is extremely dry for a stout. Subtle hops in the aftertaste. A much lighter beer than it appears to be.

RocketWidget, Jul 21, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

The big, dense, nitro head is light tan (almost just gray) and sits flat and creamy atop the black (red-brown highlights) beer. There is faint chocolate in the nose with some nuttiness. Nice, if light. A light fruity front turns creamy and chocolatey. Call me crazy, but there's bubblegum in there. A tangy, fruity finish shows some coffee. It's a nice, creamy, fruity, chocolatey beer.

kbub6f, Jul 21, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours black as night with a thick tan head that lasts. Wonderful sheets of lace cling all the way down. Sweetish aroma with some roast. Creamy and sweet flavor, almost like a milkshake. Some roast comes in to cut the sweetness along with a light dose of hops. Finishes dry with a roasted barley astringency. Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Highly drinkable, the smoothness of the beer makes it glide down your throat with ease. Just as good as Guinness, maybe better.

Lupe, Jul 09, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:

Black with just a hint of ruby red with a nice tan/white creamy head.

Smell:

Malty and bitter at the same time. Can't wait to see if the liquid is a well balanced as its aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Oh so smooth with little to no carbonation feel on the tongue. Chocolate/malt flavors hit you at first which are delightful, only to be followed by a nice pleasant bitter coffee finish. Unreal how good this is.

cbl2, Jul 01, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours as expected from a nitro can with a nice cascade of bubbles. After everything has calmed down the glass is left with a very dark brown beer capped by a sticky, off-white, creamy looking head. A sharp contact separtes the two, giving the beer a very nice appearance. Smells nicely of roasted malt and coffee. Tastes creamy with flavors of roasted malt present as well. Unfortunately the somehwat unpleasant "nitro can taste" is also present and masks some of the other flavors. This is a very smooth beer (as expected from a nitro can) and fairly drinkable. A pretty good beer, but not one of my first choices for a stout.

tar, May 10, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

I have had a few of these in the past, and thought it was a good time to review it.

This one poured nice, tasted creamy, with a nice balanced malty taste, with a very dry finish. My only complaint is that this stout tasted a bit watered down, and lacked the big flavors that I enjoy so much. Not very complex, but surely better on tap.

andyo, May 10, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick creamy off-white head. The aroma is good. It has a nice sweet dark malt scent with a creamy dry finish. The taste is good. It has a thin dark malt flavor that feels a little watered down, but good. It has a definate Irish style to it. It goes down smooth with a dry, yet creamy finish. The mouthfeel is good. It has a medium body and adequate carbonation. The beer drinks well. This is a fine Irish style stout.

WesWes, May 09, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Lets be honest here, it has to be compared to Guinness. Same great Nitro poured look and weak aroma with the muted flavors. Flavor was actually quite good with a sweetness running right along side the coffee bitterness. Nice dry finish. Very easy drinking beer, and I find it a bit more interesting than its rival from St James Gate.

Sixpack595, May 06, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first experience with a nitro bottle and I'm having trouble deciding if it worked as designed. I followed the instructions on the bottle, but I got a very small head as a result. The color of the beer is dark mahogany brown with plenty of lighter brown highlights. The head is small, only about one finger, even after an aggressive pour. Disappointing. The cap is persisting nicely however, and I can see sheets of lace below the surface of the beer as I tip the glass to drink, but there's no lace on the glass itself when I put it back on the coaster. Odd.

The nose says 'classic Irish stout'. Roasted black malt with an undertow of coffee; not much chocolate in this one. The first thing that I notice when I drink is how thin the body is. It's firming up somewhat as it warms, but doesn't venture anywhere close to full. The nitro does give the mouthfeel a certain creaminess though. The flavor is also weak (again, roasted malt and coffee) as if there's something coming between the beer and my taste buds.

The less than aggressive flavor profile, the too-thin body and the low ABV make Murphy's Irish Stout quite drinkable/sessionable. It's pretty underwhelming though, all things considered. I can't help but think that it would be much better beer without the nitro gimmick.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 26, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours out black with a big tan nitro head which is smooth like so fine yes it is. Better than the other big Irish stout import, which says a lot. Too much crutching on the nitro body though. Nice and roasty with a touch of bitter to help it go down. Worth a taste if you havn't tried the other Guinness yet.

scottum, Apr 23, 2004