Murphy's Irish Red - Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited

Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited visit their website

Irish Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

1.29/5  rDev -59.4%

Appearance: Pours a copper color with a small, soapy head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma: An extremely faint smell of toasted malts with a stale musty odor.

Taste: The only detectable flavor is an astringent, metallic bite, especially in the finish. The aftertaste reminds me of Alka-Seltzer.

Palate: Over-carbonated with an extremely dry and puckering finish.

This is one the worst beers that I've ever had. A few sips and the rest went down the kitchen sink! I was shocked at how unpalatable this beer was.
(Funny, I see no mention of this beer at Murphy's website.)

1.48/5  rDev -53.5%

On tap at Leo's, Garden City.

I tried this one on draft this afternoon. It poured very red. In fact, the color was so red that I am convinced food coloring is an ingredient here. The head was a sudsy 2 fingers with little retention and little lacing.

The smell was non-existent. No hop aroma.

The taste started off as a sweet malt experience that literally lasted one second before disappearing completely. It was like swallowing water.

The mouthfeel was awful. Again, the lack of flavor made me feel like I was drinking a flavorless malted liquid. Not a good feeling.

All of the above made this beer one of the most undrinkable I have ever had. I am ashamed to admit that I actually walked out before finishing the pint, which I NEVER do.

I have never been so unpleasantly suprised by a beer.

1.58/5  rDev -50.3%

Sampled via a 16 oz pint at Frisco’s in Columbia.
Poured the required amber with no real head retention or lacing. A bit of floral hops on the nose. Slightly caramel hoppy, but it came off as being way too biscuity and harsh. Not very drinkable and surprisingly bad from the same folks that make the stout.

1.8/5  rDev -43.4%

Red to copper in color, Head retains during the pour but no more. Trace lacing, mild carbonation.

I've been on a Can kick lately. Lots of toasted character, hops are bitter, slightly astringent, enough so to kind of turn me off of this beer. Sweet up front then ultra bitter middle and gritty in the aftertaste. Grinding sharp hops clash with the sweetness in this brew, I think this is what made the mouthfeel and drinkability so poor.

Not for me man....

1.84/5  rDev -42.1%

Aroma screamed macro lager: light bread and metallic. Appearance is this beer's best feature: 2 finger somewhat off-white head on a reddish amber transparent body. Fizzy head dissipated quickly, but maintained a small (<1/2 finger) head throughout. Flavor was watery and much like a macro, lacking depth. No bitterness or sweetness. Palate was watery and went down like water. Not lingering and very forgettable. Metallic aftertaste and finish. Overpriced for what it is, lacking in depth and character. Not enjoyable on it's own. Probably will not have again. I was, however, impressed by the mild head retention throughout.

1.86/5  rDev -41.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No discernible date, just some character strings near the bottom of the bottle, and on the bottom of the back label.

Appearance - Pours two finger pearl white head with good stick and decent to good retention. Clear medium brown body.

Smell - Very skunky. Some mild, musky corn underneath.

Taste - Light bodied. Corn. Faint traces of metal. Some faint bitterness and maltiness.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied. Somewhat sticky. Head offers slight creaminess. Like solvency/astringency.

Overall Drinkability - I heavily suspect this is either an out of date or skunked bottle, but I can't be sure because there is no clear date. Lesson be learned, brewers!

1.88/5  rDev -40.9%

Medium gold color. Medium head. Aroma is slightly malty and corny. A light bodied Irish Ale. Light malt flavors that get overwhelmed by the corn adjunct. Not very hoppy. Not much flavor, and not much else to say. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and very sweet.

Amber, reddish, transluscent pour with frothy offwhite head. Smell at first is a touch skunky, metallic, malt and a touch of yeast as it sits for a bit. Milt metallic malt taste at 1st, with a light bitterness throughout. I liked this a bit better as it warmed up a bit, actually, which I usually don't. This is fine, and drinkable, but I wouldn't miss it much. I thought Smithwicks was much better for the style.

A: Clear, reddish orange, no retention, no lacing, 2-finger head goes away in 10 seconds, bubbles stick to the side, so it looks over-carbonated like soda. Looks terrible.

S: Malt liquor with a little bit of hop backing. Smells just a little bit better than Coors Light.

T: Malt liquor taste, a little hop backing. Not anything else but alcohol, which is overpowering. Lack of flavor on swallow other than a slight bitter bready twinge. Not a good beer.

M: Over-carbonated (burns the tongue), a little syrupy, medium-bodied, non-astringent.

D: Terrible - I cannot finish at all. I'll never buy it again.

2.13/5  rDev -33%

This one is an enigma. I have the same bottle as pictured, and on the front label it has a blurb that says, " brewed to the original recipe since 1856". On the back label, it says, "Product of the Netherlands". The pour is remarkable. A nice copperish amber body with a dark ivory head that is long lasting, and deposits generous sheet and patch lacing down the glass.

Aroma begins the downhill slide. Skunky, eurohops that evoke medicinal, dirty, dishwater. Smells similar to a Heineken.

Mouthfeel is average, with light to medium body and high carbonation.

Taste resembles the aroma, with a bitter, euroskunk, nasty dishwater flavor. Malt presence is understated with a slight note of caramel. Some Heineken taste here.

An Irish red beer brewed in Holland. OK. The Dutch and Irish are the friendliest people I've met in my limited world travels, and I've had enjoyed superior beers in both countries. This pseudo-Irish red beer, that begins with such an exceptional appearance fails to impress, when it gets past its superior looks. Is this now brewed by Heineken, or what?

2.13/5  rDev -33%

Presentation: Poured from a 16oz can into an Imperial pint glass. Can states "Brewed to the original recipe since 1856." Except that now it is brewed in Holland by Heineken in Holland. Doesn' sound very original to me.

Appearance: Pours with a 1 inch foamy head, that falls very quickly to just a few islands of foam, maintained by ever-rising bubbles. The beer itself is, surprise, red, maybe more of a deep amber. Perfectly clear.

Smell: This smells like what I think of when I think of cheap beer. Sweet, but not malty. Hops are grassy and slightly skunky. The scary thing is that it is supposed to smell like this, you can't skunk a can.

Taste: Ugh. Sweet and smoky, almost a chemical-laden flavor. It tastes like burnt food.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation.

Drinkability: My first and last. I picked this up beause I heard a rumour it was not going to be made much longer. Personally, I don't think that would be much of a loss to the beer world.

2.15/5  rDev -32.4%

I am not sure what to say about this beer. It was a sharp tasting beer with full flavors, but It taste a lot like a lot of other beers i have tried. I see this beer has gotten pretty good scores but i honestly didn't find anything special about it. The best thing about this beer was the bottle.

2.16/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz. brown bottle, no fresh date. Pours a golden copper, foamy white head. Not much lacing. Scattered carbonation. Pale malt aroma, light with smells of adjuncts used by major beer producers, perhaps corn and rice? It smells like a BL. Light bodied, mild sweetness, smooth, floral hoppiness, leaves a sour dry finish. Rather boring, easy drinking, probably appeals to the masses. This beer is a more expensive and darker BL to me.

2.18/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer is a crystal clear, copper-red coloring with LOTS of carbonation. Pours a huge off-white head that cascades down to a manageable two inches. Caramelly nose with bubble gum/cotton candy notes, as well. Slight toasty scents, also. The beer has extremely light flavors riding a crisp and light body. Sweet flavors ranging from nutty to caramel, but lacking in any robust features. The beer tastes watery. Low malty aftertaste, the beer has a weak and rapid finish, which is the only merciful thing about this. Disappointing.

2.2/5  rDev -30.8%

Label appears to have been redesigned as it's now known as red ale, not red beer.

Pours a light amber color with more of a blond tint and a two-finger head into my pint glass. The head fades, leaving some lacing.

Aroma is full of sweet malt and not much else if at all. Seems about right for the style. Malt has a bit of a macro smell.

Taste is full of sweet malt with what feels like an off-flavor that takes up most of the palate. Tastes commercialized and nothing like a red ale.

Mouthfeel is full of the off-flavor and not much of the actual malt. Perhaps the bottle is older? No real "brewed on" date or "best before date".

Avoid unless you can try it on tap.

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

Well, happy that I am not working in this beer segment! Have to say I always loved the Guiness... what is a stout but from Ireland like every BA should know and from what I think is a good beer. This though is somthing else... nice colour, .... what is the only thing I like about this one.... bad foam, worse taste that has nothing but malt and oxidation smell. Flat and oxidated taste and no aftertaste at all... guess one of the worst beers of a big brewery that I know.

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

This beer looks the part of a great red beer. To be honest I was very excited to try this beer. I have also been on a can lick as of late. Sadly it taste like a instant made, Mr Beer if you will. Smell, look and feel are all good to above average. But the taste is way off, taste like it is out of a can. I will review again when I find in a bottle.

2.26/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Faint orange hue, one finger head, active carbonation, minimal lacing.

Smell - Musty Malt.

Taste - Heavy malt, metallic finish.

Mouthfeel - Minimal water like mouthfeel. Heavy carbonation.

Drinkability - Easy to drink, not great.

2.32/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Drank it on-tap in an Irish Pub here in Rotterdam. Liked most aspects of this beer (color was nice, smell was okay, mouthfeel was above average) but the taste did not live up to those standards. A shame, really.

2.33/5  rDev -26.7%

1. This beer is not Irish.
2. This beer is not red
3. This beer is not an Irish Red

Brewed and canned By Heineken in Holland. Go figure, because it smells just like a Heiny and has the same fluffy head that disappears completely in about 35 seconds. Taste is also similar, maybe just a touch more malt than a Heineken.

In my opinion, the only thing that differentiates this red can from a green can is the ever-so-slightly darker color of the beer.

Don't waste your money, this beer is not what you think it is. Not even close. Murphy's Stout kicks ass but this is mislabeled garbage.

2.34/5  rDev -26.4%

On-tap at The Liffey: Clear reddish brown, thin smooth vanilla hued cap, specks of lacing sticks. Aroma has much ado about nothing, I wiff and wiff and I get hardly anything. Faint of all faint sweet malt. Flavors are just as offering, hello, I'm I drinking something or not. Very mild, very faint, and very quick malty sweetness with a smidge of toastyness. Irrefutably tasteless. No off flavors, just no flavors. Feel isn't watery really, just thin and lacking. I had this in a bottle some time ago and it was so bad I decided not to review it. Saw that it was on-tap so I figured, maybe, it might be a bit better. Um....nope.

2.35/5  rDev -26.1%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent amber/copper color with 2 fingers of decently creamy, just off-white head. Retention is average at best. Nothing special.

S - Heavy on the caramel. Toasted malts, musty/stale hops, and an almost mineral-y smell going for it. Mild to moderate in strength.

T - A really strange, muddy, and bland flavor carries the beer start to finish. It's a a strange blend of none too fresh hops, bland caramel, and water. Really odd and not very good. It finishes on the same mineral/medicinal taste present in the nose.

M - Light bodied, coarse, and dry on the finish. It's just all wrong.

D - Bland, uninspired, and just not real fun to drink. I'll pass on it.

2.38/5  rDev -25.2%

This fine Irish product was brewed "under supervision of Murphy Brewery" by Heineken in the Netherlands, and lovingly shipped to the US (Globalization, what a cool thing).

Pours a moderate cream ale/ginger ale color (more yellow brown than red-brown) with a decent head when poured that settles to a moderately thin head.

Aroma of malt and yeast, mildly sweet biscuit with a slightly sharp end (hops). All the notes are there, but gently so.

Flavor is odd. In general, red ales are not a favorite style of mine, but this one just tastes off. Sour stale oily hops. Malts that don't really taste enjoyable. Just not enjoyable. I poured most of this out so I could have something good.

2.4/5  rDev -24.5%

Pale copper in color with a light foam head that quickly breaks up when poured into a pint glass. I am not able to pick up anything striking on the nose. The taste seems a bit odd and is reminiscent of some macrobrew or over produced craft beer that I have had but cannot place. I wouldn't call it a great beer for sure. It is pretty common. I suppose I could see some being into it, but it just doesn't get it done for me.

2.44/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottle. Pours amber color with a small, white head. Aroma is of caramel malt and piny hops. Body is quite thing. Flavor was a big disappointment - stale, earthy hops. At least I did not have to pay for this. May be I'll rerate it when I have a chance.

Murphy's Irish Red from Murphy Brewery Ireland Limited