1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Copper Harbor Ale - Midland Brewing Company

Copper Harbor Ale
No picture uploaded.

Midland Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2010)
Reviews by gtermi:

gtermi, Dec 26, 2013

jduprey007, May 03, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Midland Brewing Company's Copper Harbor Ale last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I have never had this beer before, I did stop at their booth during a beer festival, but I had their Dublin Street Stout, which i thought was good. This is the first bottled beer to see distribution from Midland Brewing Company, so I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, it just showed up so I know it's fresh, but I think all new Breweries should bottle their beer. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little plain, but the information on the bottle is nice. It poured a pretty clear amber color that took on a nice copper hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a slight bit of lacing behind. This was decent looking beer, it looks pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that was followed by a good amount of malts that impart a very bready, grainy and biscuit like aroma with some caramel malt aromas in the background. After that comes a light toasted aroma followed by a noticeable nutty aroma, I didn't get any hops aromas. The aroma was just ok, it wasn't that balanced and the nutty aroma seemed out of place for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a very bready and grainy flavor with some cereal flavors really sticking out the most. Up next I get a real light nutty flavor followed by a slight metallic flavor. On the finish I don't get any hops with no bitterness at all, just a slight sweet malt flavor with a very grainy and very cereal like aftertaste. The taste seems to bee pretty average, it was very dull with cereal flavors being showcased, it was toi bland and unbalanced for me.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the fuller side of being lighter bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was ok but the carbonation could be toned down a little and it was a little thin.

Overall I thought this was pretty bland and unimpressive beer and an average at best example of a Red Ale, it lacked the balance that this style should have, there were no hops to balance out all those malts, for a label that prides the beer on being balanced this was not the case. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the flavors were boring and couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me, the flavors don't keep me coming back for more. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't great, but it was fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was very bland and boring and it didn't have the balance that this style should, I wasn't a fan. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there's lots of better Red Ale's that are easily found, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, I had a good first impression with this brewery but my second beer from them was a let down and it was too dull and unbalanced for me, it was a very forgettable beer. Better luck next time Midland Brewing Company.

StoutHunter, May 04, 2013

tmcarter23, Sep 28, 2013

_morandi_, Sep 03, 2014

Zone_Fighter, Oct 10, 2013
3.21/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Had on-tap for $5.25 a pint at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: Well, just about copper. Finger of head off the tap. Died down pretty quickly, and left some pretty patchy lacing. Not a great looking beer, but unfortunately, still the best part about this beer.

Smell: Eh... this has almost an adjunct-malt sort of smell. It doesn't come off as a particularly crafty smelling beer. Mild roasted caramel aroma, with maybe a trace of spicy hops? There's not much to this beer.

Taste/feel: Yeah, just mediocre as a whole. I'm actually surprised by the 79 rating. This drinks like a mass-produced beer. There's no real depth of flavor. The best thing going for this is that it's drinkable, but that's not exactly a compliment. The feel is pretty thin with a slightly high carbonation.

Average... there's nothing about this beer that stands out to me, and it's really quite forgettable. It IS drinkable, and I encourage people to drink local, but this is one I'd probably just pass on if I saw it again. My first from Midland, and I'm not impressed. Meh.

Alextricity, Oct 18, 2013