Dublin Street Stout - Midland Brewing Company

Dublin Street Stout
No picture uploaded.

Midland Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

gtermi

12-26-2013 06:58:04 | More by gtermi
StoutHunter

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

I picked up a bottle of Midland Brewing Company's Dublin Street Stout a couple weeks ago for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I sampled this beer once at a beer festival and I remember liking it and I thought now that it's in bottles I should revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty clean and simple, it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half worth of light mocha colored head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is nice looking stout, but I thought the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that has a sweet lactose like aroma to it followed by lots of dark roasted malts that impart a roasted, lightly charred, lightly smokey, chocolate and coffee like aroma with the chocolate and coffee equally sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a nice sweet and creamy aroma that i usually find in Milk or Sweet Stouts. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, but the sweet creamy aromas made it smell more like Milk Stout then a standard American Stout.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but it's a good deal lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart all the dark roasted malt aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are all much lighter then they were in the aroma. Towards the end I get a grainy and watery flavor with a pretty light amount of bitterness and a roasted and grainy aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but I wish it was as bold as the aroma.

M- Smooth,a little watery, fairly dry, pretty crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was just ok, I thought it was a little too thin and carbonated for the style.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style since it has the lighter flavor and body with some higher carbonation that pretty much all average American Stouts seem to have and I feel that it fits in that category perfectly. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one would be enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty nice, and while it did remind me of Milk Stout, I still liked it. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both too light and I wish the taste was more like the aroma. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's very easy to find a better American Stout and this beer doesn't even come close to being as good as Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. I can't say I would recommend it since it's such an average example of the style. All in all i was a little let down with this beer and It isn't as good as I remember it being. This is my second beer from Midland Brewing Company and so far I think they were are pretty average Brewery both of the beers I have tried from them seem to be very average, they need to step their game up, with so many breweries in Michigan being average won't get you far, better luck next time guys.

11-30-2013 04:44:38 | More by StoutHunter