Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414

(Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010)
Reviews by 2xHops:
2.85/5  rDev -19.7%

What the heck?

I poured the beer slowly, and the foam was frothing all the way to the top of the stein! What? I had to wait 20 minutes before the foam to subside. It didn't look that appetizing, because I figured it is a sign of extreme over-carbonation....

Smell? Not that impressive. It just is appropriate and it does have hint of floral scents, but it does not reflect that much on the taste.

Taste is all right. I could taste the oak coming through along with some roasting flavor profile being mostly dominant. It tasted like a nutty brown ale to me.

Mouthfeel's terrible. I felt like I was drinking a soda that happens to have beer characteristics. The carbonation really overpowers your sense.

I think this may be the only beer that I really don't like coming from Jester King. The potential of tasting good is there, and I can see/taste it. It just is a weak beer as of now. If they prove to have worked on improving this beer, then I will try it again.

2xHops, Nov 19, 2011

CavemanRamblin, Jul 17, 2014

Tiernan, Nov 04, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

SmellsofMahagony, Feb 13, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

On cask at the Draught House Anniversary party.

The beer pours a basic brown color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and roasty malt. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted malt. I don't really get much oak-aged character, but there is a lot of flavor for a beer that is so low in alcohol. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice beer that is full flavored, even if it is less than 4 percent ABV.

Mora2000, Oct 25, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

First off, if you dont like session beers or beers of the mild category, you'll probably dislike or even hate this one.

Second, big thanks to lnashsig for this one plus multiple others of Jester King's newer releases

A - Heed the carbonation warnings on this one, definitely a gusher. Wow. Dark brown/chestnut color with large off white head, few white particulates in the bottom

S - Whoa. Huge smell for a mild on this one. Bit coffee, chocolate notes, bready and toasted smells come through nicely, get the oak as well

T - Follows the nose, but much less taste comparatively. A bit dissapointed at first. I was about halfway through my second pint before my palate adjusted.

Oats,chocolate, bit of spices, oak. Found the last part of the bottle to be the tastiest. Overall, quite nice actually.

M - Pretty carbonated overall, not good or bad, just the facts. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall this beer could be the start of my conversion to liking session beers. Not sure though because the beers I session are just your normal awsome beers but I just drink alot, haha, so we'll have to see.

I can definitely appreciate this beer for what it is. If the taste wasn't "mild" then I think this beer would be a borderline hype homerun. Its the type though thats a love or hate though, which is evident from the huge pDEV.

beenitty, Dec 26, 2011

advent, Dec 08, 2011

mhenson42, Dec 01, 2011

This will be my second Jester King beer. Next will be their Black Metal. I really appreciate the styles they chose to brew and this English Dark Mild Ale is no exception. Time to dive in.

I'm sure every single other review has mentioned this, but WATCH OUT FOR THE HEAD!!! It's insane. I poured out a tiny bit, noticed that the head develops very fast, and then decided to pour it very carefully and slowly into my Duvel glass. That didn't help at all. The head grew four fingers thick, a creamy off-white color, and even as it passed the top of the glass, it still built up. I had to wait several minutes for the head to be relatively small and to pour more beer in. I'd guess it took me about 30 minutes to get most of the beer into my glass. Ok, enough about the insane head. The beer is very opaque and the darkest of brown. Up to the light it has a lighter brown-ruby color. Obviously, the personality is in the head.

Mmm...I love this smell. Roasty, malty sweet, a bit of coffee, cereals, sweet raisins, and nutty. This is one of those beers that makes you hungry smelling it. Cinnamon spice and perhaps some rye as well.

I may be wrong but I do not believe I've had an English Dark Strong Ale before but I'm really liking what Jester King has here. It's almost like a porter in its flavors but I think I may prefer this over most every porter I've had. This is very roasty. Roasted barley, toasted biscuit, coffee lingers toward the end, and there is a nutty bitterness in it too that adds complexity. Nutty like Texas pecans. Caramel and raisiny sweetness is there but is lesser to the other flavors. I'm impressed.

While the body is on the lighter side, I don't find it to be watery, not too thin. Perhaps it has too much carbonation but it doesn't put me off. This is very drinkable.

Another fantastic beer from Jester King. They're two for two with me so far and I can't wait to try more of their beers. A lot of character with the head, some interesting and complex smells and flavors, and an overall an impressive brew.

BeardedRiker, Nov 03, 2011

Had a couple pints at Austin's Gingerman. The oak character immediately jumped out with a lovely vanilla and toasted wood. There's an almost sweet caramel and light cocoa bread. It's a pleasant surprise to find such a well-made dark mild. I wish this were available outside of Austin.

tempest, Mar 06, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

jheezee, Apr 17, 2013

shoky01, Nov 18, 2011

Leftofthedial, Feb 15, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Black Star Coop in Austin, TX. I had somehow gone a month without even hearing about this new Austin brewery and it is a shame. I have not had an abundance of Dark Mild Ales so forgive my ignorance.

A- poured a dark amber/brown, barely visible light shined through, decent brown head to start but not the best retention

S- nice balance of smells, dark chocolate and coffee, nutty

T- again well balanced, slightly bitter, can taste the oak but not overpowering, toasty, smooth dark chocolate

M- a little thin, but very smooth

D- great drinkability as the style predicts, great flavor, cannot get much better than this for such a flavorful ale

I am very happy to have a new brewery in Austin and as my first beer of theirs has been drank and was delicious, I am looking quite forward to supporting it!

orenand33, Dec 14, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -45.6%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

kwill, Nov 04, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

bbsaur, Jul 27, 2014

JamLand, Jun 26, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

Duvel tulip glass.
Red, cloudy and thick in appearance.
S - musty. Like dirt.
T - if not for the tannic aftertaste, it is largely inconsequential.
M - in contrast to the other reviews, my bottle was rather flat. Dry.
Food pairing - cold Stanley's Farmhouse pizza.

I visited the Jester King Brewery today, sampled a good number of their beers. Being a big fan of their Black Metal Imperial Stout, and their Mad Meg, this was a real treat. This is the2nd Commercial Suicide I have had, and this one was a bit of a disappointment. I agree with many of the posted reviews, noting watery taste.

RoastBeef, Dec 23, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my first official beer review. Cheers!

Had this (not for the first time) on tap at Black Sheep Lodge.

A: Dark and Earthy; lively half-inch head, fades to hot-chocolate, a few stray bubbles finding their way to the top. Dark body but not thick, with a hint of ruby at the base of the glass.

S: Not sure if this was oak barrel aged or not, but it gives this roasted coffee meets smoked brisket aroma, a dark toasted malt with a slim hop character. Absolutely delicious by my standards, and reminds me of what I imagine an old British Mild would smell like served at cellar temp (in a smoke-free establishment, of course).

T: This is by no means a strongly-flavored beer; it is mellow, malty, and comes across as a bit mild...Jester's not trying to fool anybody with this one! Complements the taste-buds with the same oak aged quality, like liquid BBQ with a hint of chocolate in the sauce.

M: Toasty layer of froth puts some tingle on the first few sips, but rolls over the tongue without a fight.

D: Aptly named, as I could drink a lot of this beer...often...
(Would do well in bottles imho)

thornmalo, Jan 26, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

bccocx, Feb 12, 2014

kytrios, Dec 04, 2011

mikeburd1128, Nov 17, 2013

Magery, Mar 09, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Served on tap at the Draught House in a standard pint glass. I've a had it a few times here and thought I should finally review.

The beer pours a clear, thin black that turns to red by the end of the glass. I think this sample was under carbonated, so I got pretty much no head. When the carbonation has been upped, I've been able to see a decent head on this this. Seems like they need to work on that issue.

Since the beer came out a bit flat this time, I got little aroma. From what I've had before, the nose comes mostly from the roasted malts. Almost like a baby porter.

The taste is dominated by the flavors from the black malts. Roasty and dark, like a mini porter. However, since it's occasionally flat, this can come across as watery and taste like steeped grains. This also makes it somewhat one dimensional. When I've had better carbonation (like when I had the fantatic whiskey barrel version at Billy's on Burnet), the flavors have been much fuller and more pleasing. The whiskey barrel version also gave it another subtle dimension that placed it far above the standard version. Drinking this makes me miss the whiskey barrel one...

The mouthfeel is distinctly thin and watery. Wish it was more carbonated. Then I could focus on this being a good session beer instead of a watered down version of something that could be really good. That being said, this is distinctly sessionable and I could be happy putting down a pitcher of this over a long sitting.

UTCengOwl, Dec 16, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I have been reading about this Austin brewery online and was excited to get a chance to try their beer.

A - Beer had a dark, cloudy brown color that was almost translucent at the edges. Little to no head on the pint I had.

S - I definitely got an oaky, roasted smell from the beer with little to no alcohol due to the style.

T - The roasted smell continued into the taste along with some spice or green flavors. I am not sure if this comes from the barrel or from the ingredients but I like it. Clean finish, little to no hop profile for me.

M - The mouthfeel was very thin and watery and I think this is to style.

D - Easy to drink; can't wait to get a couple of cold bottles of this for hot days at the beach this summer. Could have easily had several more and been comfortable.

I liked this beer for what it is, a true sessional beer that you can drink at leisure due to its low ABV. I hope we get the bottled product in Houston by next summer.

JonathanCrites, Nov 15, 2010