Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414
to view more.
Ratings: 147 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by Pamola:
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

On cask at the Draught House Anniversary party.

The beer pours a basic brown color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and roasty malt. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted malt. I don't really get much oak-aged character, but there is a lot of flavor for a beer that is so low in alcohol. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice beer that is full flavored, even if it is less than 4 percent ABV.

3.89/5  rDev +9.9%

First off, if you dont like session beers or beers of the mild category, you'll probably dislike or even hate this one.

Second, big thanks to lnashsig for this one plus multiple others of Jester King's newer releases

A - Heed the carbonation warnings on this one, definitely a gusher. Wow. Dark brown/chestnut color with large off white head, few white particulates in the bottom

S - Whoa. Huge smell for a mild on this one. Bit coffee, chocolate notes, bready and toasted smells come through nicely, get the oak as well

T - Follows the nose, but much less taste comparatively. A bit dissapointed at first. I was about halfway through my second pint before my palate adjusted.

Oats,chocolate, bit of spices, oak. Found the last part of the bottle to be the tastiest. Overall, quite nice actually.

M - Pretty carbonated overall, not good or bad, just the facts. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall this beer could be the start of my conversion to liking session beers. Not sure though because the beers I session are just your normal awsome beers but I just drink alot, haha, so we'll have to see.

I can definitely appreciate this beer for what it is. If the taste wasn't "mild" then I think this beer would be a borderline hype homerun. Its the type though thats a love or hate though, which is evident from the huge pDEV.

This will be my second Jester King beer. Next will be their Black Metal. I really appreciate the styles they chose to brew and this English Dark Mild Ale is no exception. Time to dive in.

I'm sure every single other review has mentioned this, but WATCH OUT FOR THE HEAD!!! It's insane. I poured out a tiny bit, noticed that the head develops very fast, and then decided to pour it very carefully and slowly into my Duvel glass. That didn't help at all. The head grew four fingers thick, a creamy off-white color, and even as it passed the top of the glass, it still built up. I had to wait several minutes for the head to be relatively small and to pour more beer in. I'd guess it took me about 30 minutes to get most of the beer into my glass. Ok, enough about the insane head. The beer is very opaque and the darkest of brown. Up to the light it has a lighter brown-ruby color. Obviously, the personality is in the head.

Mmm...I love this smell. Roasty, malty sweet, a bit of coffee, cereals, sweet raisins, and nutty. This is one of those beers that makes you hungry smelling it. Cinnamon spice and perhaps some rye as well.

I may be wrong but I do not believe I've had an English Dark Strong Ale before but I'm really liking what Jester King has here. It's almost like a porter in its flavors but I think I may prefer this over most every porter I've had. This is very roasty. Roasted barley, toasted biscuit, coffee lingers toward the end, and there is a nutty bitterness in it too that adds complexity. Nutty like Texas pecans. Caramel and raisiny sweetness is there but is lesser to the other flavors. I'm impressed.

While the body is on the lighter side, I don't find it to be watery, not too thin. Perhaps it has too much carbonation but it doesn't put me off. This is very drinkable.

Another fantastic beer from Jester King. They're two for two with me so far and I can't wait to try more of their beers. A lot of character with the head, some interesting and complex smells and flavors, and an overall an impressive brew.

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Had a couple pints at Austin's Gingerman. The oak character immediately jumped out with a lovely vanilla and toasted wood. There's an almost sweet caramel and light cocoa bread. It's a pleasant surprise to find such a well-made dark mild. I wish this were available outside of Austin.

4.02/5  rDev +13.6%

I had this beer on tap at the Black Star Coop in Austin, TX. I had somehow gone a month without even hearing about this new Austin brewery and it is a shame. I have not had an abundance of Dark Mild Ales so forgive my ignorance.

A- poured a dark amber/brown, barely visible light shined through, decent brown head to start but not the best retention

S- nice balance of smells, dark chocolate and coffee, nutty

T- again well balanced, slightly bitter, can taste the oak but not overpowering, toasty, smooth dark chocolate

M- a little thin, but very smooth

D- great drinkability as the style predicts, great flavor, cannot get much better than this for such a flavorful ale

I am very happy to have a new brewery in Austin and as my first beer of theirs has been drank and was delicious, I am looking quite forward to supporting it!

2.01/5  rDev -43.2%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

3.01/5  rDev -15%

Duvel tulip glass.
Red, cloudy and thick in appearance.
S - musty. Like dirt.
T - if not for the tannic aftertaste, it is largely inconsequential.
M - in contrast to the other reviews, my bottle was rather flat. Dry.
Food pairing - cold Stanley's Farmhouse pizza.

I visited the Jester King Brewery today, sampled a good number of their beers. Being a big fan of their Black Metal Imperial Stout, and their Mad Meg, this was a real treat. This is the2nd Commercial Suicide I have had, and this one was a bit of a disappointment. I agree with many of the posted reviews, noting watery taste.

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first official beer review. Cheers!

Had this (not for the first time) on tap at Black Sheep Lodge.

A: Dark and Earthy; lively half-inch head, fades to hot-chocolate, a few stray bubbles finding their way to the top. Dark body but not thick, with a hint of ruby at the base of the glass.

S: Not sure if this was oak barrel aged or not, but it gives this roasted coffee meets smoked brisket aroma, a dark toasted malt with a slim hop character. Absolutely delicious by my standards, and reminds me of what I imagine an old British Mild would smell like served at cellar temp (in a smoke-free establishment, of course).

T: This is by no means a strongly-flavored beer; it is mellow, malty, and comes across as a bit mild...Jester's not trying to fool anybody with this one! Complements the taste-buds with the same oak aged quality, like liquid BBQ with a hint of chocolate in the sauce.

M: Toasty layer of froth puts some tingle on the first few sips, but rolls over the tongue without a fight.

D: Aptly named, as I could drink a lot of this beer...often...
(Would do well in bottles imho)

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Served on tap at the Draught House in a standard pint glass. I've a had it a few times here and thought I should finally review.

The beer pours a clear, thin black that turns to red by the end of the glass. I think this sample was under carbonated, so I got pretty much no head. When the carbonation has been upped, I've been able to see a decent head on this this. Seems like they need to work on that issue.

Since the beer came out a bit flat this time, I got little aroma. From what I've had before, the nose comes mostly from the roasted malts. Almost like a baby porter.

The taste is dominated by the flavors from the black malts. Roasty and dark, like a mini porter. However, since it's occasionally flat, this can come across as watery and taste like steeped grains. This also makes it somewhat one dimensional. When I've had better carbonation (like when I had the fantatic whiskey barrel version at Billy's on Burnet), the flavors have been much fuller and more pleasing. The whiskey barrel version also gave it another subtle dimension that placed it far above the standard version. Drinking this makes me miss the whiskey barrel one...

The mouthfeel is distinctly thin and watery. Wish it was more carbonated. Then I could focus on this being a good session beer instead of a watered down version of something that could be really good. That being said, this is distinctly sessionable and I could be happy putting down a pitcher of this over a long sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +22%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I have been reading about this Austin brewery online and was excited to get a chance to try their beer.

A - Beer had a dark, cloudy brown color that was almost translucent at the edges. Little to no head on the pint I had.

S - I definitely got an oaky, roasted smell from the beer with little to no alcohol due to the style.

T - The roasted smell continued into the taste along with some spice or green flavors. I am not sure if this comes from the barrel or from the ingredients but I like it. Clean finish, little to no hop profile for me.

M - The mouthfeel was very thin and watery and I think this is to style.

D - Easy to drink; can't wait to get a couple of cold bottles of this for hot days at the beach this summer. Could have easily had several more and been comfortable.

I liked this beer for what it is, a true sessional beer that you can drink at leisure due to its low ABV. I hope we get the bottled product in Houston by next summer.

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Josh (HopsSchnapps) for this bottle!

As others have mentioned, carbonation is an issue here. Don't rush it, and give a couple inches of extra head space on the first pour in case the head wants to get all uppity. (and it will) Subsequent pours are much more manageable.

After the 4 finger head subsides mostly, the remainder sticks around, which is a nice thing. Very dark brown liquid, with a touch of lighter shades around the edges.

There's a rich maltiness to the aroma, with a soft, but droning chocolate note and bold nuttiness.

Taste is similar in rich malt forwardness. The chocolate mostly takes a back seat to a more nutty taste. It's good though.

Naturally, the carbonation is a bit stingy. That aside though, it's light on the palate.

Overall, it's very nice. You definitely have to work for it more with the carbonation issues, but it's still worth it. I will say that I'd be surprised if the ABV is actually 3.3% for these bum bottles.

4.77/5  rDev +34.7%

huge thanks to ckeegan for getting me this one. Growler poured into several pint glasses this one was thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Pours out a nice medium brown color, with a small tannish head that fades quickly and leaves a light, dark tea color in the glass.

aroma is as earthy as it can get. deep malty nose, hints of leather, oak, nice touches of roasty malts and earthy grains. really just wonderfully balanced and smooth, nothing heavy here at all and this carries over perfectly into the flavor which was nothing short of stellar. smooth, creamy and tea like flavors dominate with hints of oak, earthy and muted hops and a deep resonated earthy grain that really shows itself off. could drink this one seriously all day long.

overall a very nice example of the style and a seriously high quality ale. I would have no trouble downing this one all day long.

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%

750 mL bottle is waaay overcarbed, poured quick to avoid gushing and about 1/4 beer and 3/4 foam. The head is pretty if you have the patience to let it sit, fades slow and forms massive mesas and canyons in the glass.

Nose is quite nice...toasted nuts are accentuated nicely by a steady presence of oak. Malts are plenty characterful with some roast and even some chocolate.

Tastes of coconut and toast from the wood, nice barrel presence. Lots of malt presence for the low ABV. The carbonation is a big letdown though. I was plenty skeptical of this beer, especially upon purchasing a $7 bottle of 3.3% alcohol beer with known carbonation issues. In the end though, it won me over as the flavors are really nice and enjoyable. Now lets fix the carbonation issues, slash the price about 75% and put it in 12-packs...THEN we have ourselves a serious session beer!

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pretty dark brown with a solid two finger off white head. Smell is oaky, smokey. Taste is also smokey and oak, malty, there's definitely some funk going on and a barnhouse flavor. This isn't the best farmhouse ever but it is extremely impressive how much flavor they pack into such an amazingly low abv beer. The flavors of the mild brown ale are prominent with some funk on top. Worth a pick up for the price.

1.28/5  rDev -63.8%

Disgusting. Do NOT purchase!

I love Black Metal and Witchmaker, so I know they can make good beer. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one.

It tasted like burnt cleaning supplies.

I'm so confused. It wasn't like they were doing something creative like Mikkeller does, it was just awful.

4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

Finally getting to review this, had it at opal devines

Black in color, upon closer inspection it's actually a dark reddish brown. Thin head, good retention, thin ring of bubbles is constantly around the edge of the beer.

Chocolate and roasted malts come through pretty well, that's about all I could get though.

Chocolate flavor and a bit of roasted bitterness, metallic undertone that works well and some light coffee notes, the flavors are very nice and come through strongly. You would never expect this to be a dark mild, drinks more like a porter.

Light in body, light in carbonation and smooth as well. Super drinkable and abv just helps it case on this. Found a session beer for me and I'll being getting kegs of this when i have the space!

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

The 750 mL bottle had no date. The body was a medium dark brown/cola colored with a very light tan head. The body was clear and the thin head sizzled out quickly.

The smell was nutty. Dried apricots and raisins.

The taste was also nutty. Bone-dry with a stale fruitiness. More flavor than expected for the low ABV.

The body was medium to thin.

This is not something I would seek out again.

4.17/5  rDev +17.8%

A - Black bodied beer that comes up red on the edges. Little bit of a tannish head that left a little bit of lace on the side.

S - Roast, some caramel sweetness, coffee. Has a solid malt backbone.

T - Really good flavor for something that has this little alcohol in it. Some caramel malts, slight bit of coffee, some cocoa powder. Really has a lot going on for something with lower ABV.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with solid carbonation.

O - Really great beer with a lot of good flavor that you can drink tons of. Fantastic for something with this low ABV.

3.67/5  rDev +3.7%

Had on tap at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock.

Poured into an unchilled pint glass. No head or lacing whatsoever, but dark soda-looking beer...several folks at the bar asked if it was a coke with no ice.

Smelled like a tame doppelbock...some dark fruit, a little sweetness...actually pretty decent for such a low ABV brew.

Taste followed...doppelbock-esque, a bit tame, to be expected for such a low alcohol beer. Still, more flavor than any bmc brew on the market...that in itself is a victory.

Easy drinking, good carbonation, drank this one down in about 10 minutes...a very nice sessionable beer.

Cheers to JK for brewing a beer that beer drinkers can still enjoy...without kicking your ass in booze.

2.06/5  rDev -41.8%

A- Looked like a mild roasted black coffee

S- Smokey and sweet but an emphasis on smokey

T- Man, this was not good. I felt like I was drinking candle wax or an ash tray. It did have some good malt qualities that made the beer a TAD complex but that ash tray taste was way over powering.

Food Pairing- Smoked Fish

3.41/5  rDev -3.7%

Looks like the first bottle review... Rated by Style.
bottle from a local shop...
Opens with a loud pop, and there is yeast on the cap, cant say I have ever seen yeast on the cap of a brew before... Pours with, well, it pours with no liquid. I have no idea what color this is, as all I see in my entire glass is an off white head. This makes me wonder if it is still the 3.6% abv as the label says... hard to get flavor with such a mild abv, I am guessing it still fermented quite a bit in the bottle. It had to, to produce so much head, i hope these dont start to explode.
As it slowly settles, and I am talking 10 minutes later, it is a dark amber color, now with a nice ice cream bobble top.
Nose is yeaty, cinnamon, spicy, like it has rye in it... with a bit of roasted.
taste is roasted caramel on the front, followed by a tonic water type finish. hint of a bitter aftertaste. Actually the aftertaste is smokey... like I just smoked a cigarette... odd.
mouthfeel is thin, WAY over carbonated, but dont really expect much from this style.
Overall this is a good English Dark Mild, but not really a styleI am all that impressed with. Great for the style, hence the high score, but just a boring beer. Lost points on the carbonation though.

4.44/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

On Cask at the Anvil. Part of their Gravity Cask 2010 for the Houston Beer Week. I had heard that this was completely flat, though it was not in the least when Anvil released it on 10/15/10.

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color. At first a two finger bubbly, tan head rises. The foam recedes in a minute, with light lace.
S: Big toasted malt up front and dominate. Some chocolate and toffee as well. Just a wonderful malt aroma that is perfect for the style.
T: Again there is a huge toasted malt flavor that is excellent. Chocolate, toffee, toasted grains with some bread/biscuit flavors. Just an excellent clean malt bill. I love this.
M/D: A light to medium body. Just a bit light. Though I would not say this is under carbonated at all, it is lacking a bit here. So easy, and enjoyable to drink. I can drink this all day, and an amazing session beer.

I kept coming back to this again and again. Overall an amazing beer, and a real treat to see a brewery do a traditional session beer, on cask no less. Overall an incredibly well made Dark Mild, and if anyone wants to experience a true session beer in the UK style, this is it. Highly recommended.

3.66/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opened on 1.10.13.

A - Pours a surprisingly dark brown with a one inch tan head, fizzy, but good retention.

S - Subtle roasted malt and coffee.

T - Burnt malty coffee, watery and smokey.

D - Medium carbonation with a very light body.

O - Very light, smokey and toasted malt.

4.32/5  rDev +22%

Rocking mild I wish more breweries would do a mild.

L: light brown with a small head

S: nice malty aromas, caramel, toffey, toasty bread

T: small bittering up front then the maltiness comes in

M: very light, watery smooth not too stickey for a mild

D: this is a great session beer with great flavor

4.3/5  rDev +21.5%

Got it on tap at The Flying Saucer Houston

A - Dark Brown with a light brown head.

S - Pleasant toasty aromas. Hints of dark chocolate, and coffee. None of them are over powering which is nice. Sometimes coffee aroma comes through too strong, but not in this one.

T - Great taste. Nice roasted malt flavors. Very well balanced and easy drinking.

M - I wish it had more body to it, but that is really my only complaint. I understand that it might not have been as balanced if it had more body.

D - I can see myself drinking this all year round. It is a smooth, well balanced beer.

This was my first Jester King beer, and I have to say I am pleased. I was looking forward to this opening for a long time and they didn't disappoint. I look forward to more

to view more.