Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 150 | Reviews: 48
4.77/5  rDev +34.7%

huge thanks to ckeegan for getting me this one. Growler poured into several pint glasses this one was thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Pours out a nice medium brown color, with a small tannish head that fades quickly and leaves a light, dark tea color in the glass.

aroma is as earthy as it can get. deep malty nose, hints of leather, oak, nice touches of roasty malts and earthy grains. really just wonderfully balanced and smooth, nothing heavy here at all and this carries over perfectly into the flavor which was nothing short of stellar. smooth, creamy and tea like flavors dominate with hints of oak, earthy and muted hops and a deep resonated earthy grain that really shows itself off. could drink this one seriously all day long.

overall a very nice example of the style and a seriously high quality ale. I would have no trouble downing this one all day long.

4.44/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

On Cask at the Anvil. Part of their Gravity Cask 2010 for the Houston Beer Week. I had heard that this was completely flat, though it was not in the least when Anvil released it on 10/15/10.

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color. At first a two finger bubbly, tan head rises. The foam recedes in a minute, with light lace.
S: Big toasted malt up front and dominate. Some chocolate and toffee as well. Just a wonderful malt aroma that is perfect for the style.
T: Again there is a huge toasted malt flavor that is excellent. Chocolate, toffee, toasted grains with some bread/biscuit flavors. Just an excellent clean malt bill. I love this.
M/D: A light to medium body. Just a bit light. Though I would not say this is under carbonated at all, it is lacking a bit here. So easy, and enjoyable to drink. I can drink this all day, and an amazing session beer.

I kept coming back to this again and again. Overall an amazing beer, and a real treat to see a brewery do a traditional session beer, on cask no less. Overall an incredibly well made Dark Mild, and if anyone wants to experience a true session beer in the UK style, this is it. Highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

@ The Ginger Man in Austin

A - Pours dark brown/amber into the pint glass with almost two fingers of tan head, nice retention and lacing.

S - Oak, roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, toffee sweetness.

T - So much flavor for such a small beer is incredible. Deep oak notes, roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, slight earthiness to it, as it washes off the palate it is a little bitter and there are mild dark fruit tones.

M - Medium, smooth and creamy.

D - This beer is crazy drinkable and delicious. Low ABV makes it a beer you can enjoy anytime, very sessionable!

4.4/5  rDev +24.3%

On tap at The Draught House.

A - Dark brown with a thin, light brown head. Spotty lacing left on the glass. Dark ruby highlights when held up to light.

S - Strong roasted malt aromas with hints of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Coffee remains strong throughout and there are hints of sweet bread as well.

T - Lightly bitter roasted malts initially with tastes of coffee and just a bit of bitter chocolate. A light oakiness comes through towards the end of the drink. Strong maltiness throughout the beer.

M/D - Light bodied with a crisp moouthfeel and good carbonation. Ridiculously easy drinking and an excellent session beer. Yes, a real American session beer. I love it.

4.32/5  rDev +22%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I have been reading about this Austin brewery online and was excited to get a chance to try their beer.

A - Beer had a dark, cloudy brown color that was almost translucent at the edges. Little to no head on the pint I had.

S - I definitely got an oaky, roasted smell from the beer with little to no alcohol due to the style.

T - The roasted smell continued into the taste along with some spice or green flavors. I am not sure if this comes from the barrel or from the ingredients but I like it. Clean finish, little to no hop profile for me.

M - The mouthfeel was very thin and watery and I think this is to style.

D - Easy to drink; can't wait to get a couple of cold bottles of this for hot days at the beach this summer. Could have easily had several more and been comfortable.

I liked this beer for what it is, a true sessional beer that you can drink at leisure due to its low ABV. I hope we get the bottled product in Houston by next summer.

4.32/5  rDev +22%

Rocking mild I wish more breweries would do a mild.

L: light brown with a small head

S: nice malty aromas, caramel, toffey, toasty bread

T: small bittering up front then the maltiness comes in

M: very light, watery smooth not too stickey for a mild

D: this is a great session beer with great flavor

4.32/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Draughthouse.

Commercial Suicide pours with an attractive mahogany-amber that throws some copper highlights on its edges. The head dissipates rather quickly to a small ring of bubbles. Somewhat surprisingly, the aroma still kicks some serious ass for a Mild. Big notes of coffee and roasted chestnuts with a bit of earthy hops and dark fruit in the background.

The flavor picks up where the aroma left off, amping up the fruit as plum and raisin make their way onto the palate. The biggest notes come from the malts, though; it's surprising just how much flavor Commercial Suicide packs into 3%. Toffee, caramel, toasted grain, and nuttiness. The mouthfeel is appropriately light, and the crisp, well-carbonated body finishes clean, but still leaves a hint of the malt profile to keep the next sip in anticipation. All in all, a superb version of the English Mild style that would both open and close a night of craft beer drinking with ease...definitely something I will be returning to, and often!

4.32/5  rDev +22%

Bottle courtesy of lnashsig, Cheers Lee!

Gentle and careful pour produces a massive antique white head. This is in no way a gusher, just very foamy. The head is made up of big bubbles, forming a meringue like rockiness atop. The head works its way back ever so slowly leaving spotty lacing clinging to the walls of the glass. The body is a deep auburn color though there is a decent amount of color variation ranging from browns to reds.

The nose is brilliant for such a small beer. Nutty brown bread and coffee aromas dominate up front. A bit of caramel sweetness lingers behind. Not picking up much hop presence, which is fine as the warm maltiness is more than capable of carrying the nose.

The flavor delivers the same characteristics that were picked up by the nose. The flavor starts out a bit sweeter than expected, the caramel flavor really takes the forefront. As the beer reaches the midpalate the warm and roasted malt flavors really take hold. Brown bread, slight coffee and subtle cocoa powder flavors round things out on the back of the tongue. Again, there is not much in the way of hops. There may be a soft grassy flavor but it just does not stand out.

Light bodied beer with very lively carbonation. The carbonation in this beer is very interesting. I appreciate the level of carbonation but this is a beer I would love to have from a hand pull. Either way the carbonation works for this beer. The finish is rather dry and pleasant.

I am a fan of this beer. When it comes to true session beers it can be difficult to find one that can deliver the flavor and complexity needed to keep ones attention, Jester king has done just that. The flavors are layered perfectly and mesh very well. I could easily see myself sitting down to several glasses of this one. One worth seeking out.

4.3/5  rDev +21.5%

Got it on tap at The Flying Saucer Houston

A - Dark Brown with a light brown head.

S - Pleasant toasty aromas. Hints of dark chocolate, and coffee. None of them are over powering which is nice. Sometimes coffee aroma comes through too strong, but not in this one.

T - Great taste. Nice roasted malt flavors. Very well balanced and easy drinking.

M - I wish it had more body to it, but that is really my only complaint. I understand that it might not have been as balanced if it had more body.

D - I can see myself drinking this all year round. It is a smooth, well balanced beer.

This was my first Jester King beer, and I have to say I am pleased. I was looking forward to this opening for a long time and they didn't disappoint. I look forward to more

4.28/5  rDev +20.9%

Finally getting to review this, had it at opal devines

Black in color, upon closer inspection it's actually a dark reddish brown. Thin head, good retention, thin ring of bubbles is constantly around the edge of the beer.

Chocolate and roasted malts come through pretty well, that's about all I could get though.

Chocolate flavor and a bit of roasted bitterness, metallic undertone that works well and some light coffee notes, the flavors are very nice and come through strongly. You would never expect this to be a dark mild, drinks more like a porter.

Light in body, light in carbonation and smooth as well. Super drinkable and abv just helps it case on this. Found a session beer for me and I'll being getting kegs of this when i have the space!

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Draught House in Austin:

A - fairly opaque brown

S - coffee, chocolate, caramel, dark bread. Pleasant nose

T - More coffee, chocolate, caramel

M/D - medium thin mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, extremely drinkable. Nice flavor profile for such a small beer.

4.17/5  rDev +17.8%

A - Black bodied beer that comes up red on the edges. Little bit of a tannish head that left a little bit of lace on the side.

S - Roast, some caramel sweetness, coffee. Has a solid malt backbone.

T - Really good flavor for something that has this little alcohol in it. Some caramel malts, slight bit of coffee, some cocoa powder. Really has a lot going on for something with lower ABV.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with solid carbonation.

O - Really great beer with a lot of good flavor that you can drink tons of. Fantastic for something with this low ABV.

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

A - Wow. A slow gentle pour generates 4 fingers of light tan head. A hazy dark chestnut colored body.

S - Cocoa and coffee, toasted wheat bread crust, oak, vanilla, and caramel.

T - Follows the nose, dark cocoa, roasted coffee beans, dried oats, caramel rides underneath. Some acidity around the edges. Bitter dark cocoa holds strong and becomes the dominate flavor when warm. Finishes dry.

M - Active carbonation. The carbonation really calms down as the beer sets creating a light to medium creamy body.

Loads of bold flavors packed into this 3.30 ABV! This is my kind of session beer. The cocoa and oats were the main flavors and melded together very well.

4.09/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a frosted (I know!) goblet at Hopdoddy. I had to let it warm up a lot in order to accurately judge it. From now on I ask them for not frozen glasses.

Appearance: Black with red hues when held up to the light. Kind of hard to see since it was dark in the restaurant. There was a white head but it faded quickly due to the glass.

Aroma: Initially there was really nothing, so I waited and used my hands to warm up the glass. Slowly but surely as the beer warmed up I could begin to smell it. At first there were roasty notes that appeared, and then soon after I could distinguish that there were nice chocolate and caramel notes. Later as the beer warmed up even more I could make out vanilla. Very complex from such a low ABV.

Taste: Malty and sweet, with roasted notes and a hint of oak. Again very flavorful for such a low ABV beer.
Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated and easy to drink. It was not super light bodied like beers of low alcohol tend to be.

Overall: Excellent beer from Jester King. This could easily be drunk all night and you would enjoy the experience too. They showed that big things can come in small packages. I look forward to more Jester King offerings.

4.07/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Arrives with a tea brown color that was barely topped by any foam; no lace

Smell: Brown bread and a hint of fruit

Taste: The brown bread flavor up front quickly takes on an oaky character, with an earthy bitterness joining by mid-palate; after the swallow, a fruity complexity builds along with the oaky flavor through the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation

Drinkability: Love the English style here in a low abv beer that is packed with flavor; the oak makes all the difference

4.02/5  rDev +13.6%

I had this beer on tap at the Black Star Coop in Austin, TX. I had somehow gone a month without even hearing about this new Austin brewery and it is a shame. I have not had an abundance of Dark Mild Ales so forgive my ignorance.

A- poured a dark amber/brown, barely visible light shined through, decent brown head to start but not the best retention

S- nice balance of smells, dark chocolate and coffee, nutty

T- again well balanced, slightly bitter, can taste the oak but not overpowering, toasty, smooth dark chocolate

M- a little thin, but very smooth

D- great drinkability as the style predicts, great flavor, cannot get much better than this for such a flavorful ale

I am very happy to have a new brewery in Austin and as my first beer of theirs has been drank and was delicious, I am looking quite forward to supporting it!

This will be my second Jester King beer. Next will be their Black Metal. I really appreciate the styles they chose to brew and this English Dark Mild Ale is no exception. Time to dive in.

I'm sure every single other review has mentioned this, but WATCH OUT FOR THE HEAD!!! It's insane. I poured out a tiny bit, noticed that the head develops very fast, and then decided to pour it very carefully and slowly into my Duvel glass. That didn't help at all. The head grew four fingers thick, a creamy off-white color, and even as it passed the top of the glass, it still built up. I had to wait several minutes for the head to be relatively small and to pour more beer in. I'd guess it took me about 30 minutes to get most of the beer into my glass. Ok, enough about the insane head. The beer is very opaque and the darkest of brown. Up to the light it has a lighter brown-ruby color. Obviously, the personality is in the head.

Mmm...I love this smell. Roasty, malty sweet, a bit of coffee, cereals, sweet raisins, and nutty. This is one of those beers that makes you hungry smelling it. Cinnamon spice and perhaps some rye as well.

I may be wrong but I do not believe I've had an English Dark Strong Ale before but I'm really liking what Jester King has here. It's almost like a porter in its flavors but I think I may prefer this over most every porter I've had. This is very roasty. Roasted barley, toasted biscuit, coffee lingers toward the end, and there is a nutty bitterness in it too that adds complexity. Nutty like Texas pecans. Caramel and raisiny sweetness is there but is lesser to the other flavors. I'm impressed.

While the body is on the lighter side, I don't find it to be watery, not too thin. Perhaps it has too much carbonation but it doesn't put me off. This is very drinkable.

Another fantastic beer from Jester King. They're two for two with me so far and I can't wait to try more of their beers. A lot of character with the head, some interesting and complex smells and flavors, and an overall an impressive brew.

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Had a couple pints at Austin's Gingerman. The oak character immediately jumped out with a lovely vanilla and toasted wood. There's an almost sweet caramel and light cocoa bread. It's a pleasant surprise to find such a well-made dark mild. I wish this were available outside of Austin.

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Tried on tap at Jester King opening, 29 Jan 2011. Served in a Jester King snifter.

Small light brown head quickly dissipates. Lightly carbonated. Clear brown color. Light malty aroma. Moderately malty sweet. Very slight astringency through the middle. Light body, minimal alcohol. Some light chocolate. Pretty mild overall.

Very easy to drink.

3.97/5  rDev +12.1%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. It was very dark for a mild, nearly translucent except at the edges, more brown than amber. 2 fingers of head and nice sheets of lace. Very nice aroma of toasted malts and light hops.

It tastes a bit yeasty to me, almost a homebrew quality to it, some fruity esters which are nice but otherwise a little simple, at least in my opinion. Not bad in any way but it didn't really make a strong impression on me.

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

On cask at the Draught House Anniversary party.

The beer pours a basic brown color with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and roasty malt. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of milk chocolate with a little bit of roasted malt. I don't really get much oak-aged character, but there is a lot of flavor for a beer that is so low in alcohol. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice beer that is full flavored, even if it is less than 4 percent ABV.

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first official beer review. Cheers!

Had this (not for the first time) on tap at Black Sheep Lodge.

A: Dark and Earthy; lively half-inch head, fades to hot-chocolate, a few stray bubbles finding their way to the top. Dark body but not thick, with a hint of ruby at the base of the glass.

S: Not sure if this was oak barrel aged or not, but it gives this roasted coffee meets smoked brisket aroma, a dark toasted malt with a slim hop character. Absolutely delicious by my standards, and reminds me of what I imagine an old British Mild would smell like served at cellar temp (in a smoke-free establishment, of course).

T: This is by no means a strongly-flavored beer; it is mellow, malty, and comes across as a bit mild...Jester's not trying to fool anybody with this one! Complements the taste-buds with the same oak aged quality, like liquid BBQ with a hint of chocolate in the sauce.

M: Toasty layer of froth puts some tingle on the first few sips, but rolls over the tongue without a fight.

D: Aptly named, as I could drink a lot of this beer...often...
(Would do well in bottles imho)

3.89/5  rDev +9.9%

First off, if you dont like session beers or beers of the mild category, you'll probably dislike or even hate this one.

Second, big thanks to lnashsig for this one plus multiple others of Jester King's newer releases

A - Heed the carbonation warnings on this one, definitely a gusher. Wow. Dark brown/chestnut color with large off white head, few white particulates in the bottom

S - Whoa. Huge smell for a mild on this one. Bit coffee, chocolate notes, bready and toasted smells come through nicely, get the oak as well

T - Follows the nose, but much less taste comparatively. A bit dissapointed at first. I was about halfway through my second pint before my palate adjusted.

Oats,chocolate, bit of spices, oak. Found the last part of the bottle to be the tastiest. Overall, quite nice actually.

M - Pretty carbonated overall, not good or bad, just the facts. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall this beer could be the start of my conversion to liking session beers. Not sure though because the beers I session are just your normal awsome beers but I just drink alot, haha, so we'll have to see.

I can definitely appreciate this beer for what it is. If the taste wasn't "mild" then I think this beer would be a borderline hype homerun. Its the type though thats a love or hate though, which is evident from the huge pDEV.

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

I’ve tried this on tap at the brewery and in Austin, and on cask once too. In each instance I felt like I was getting something special—a low abv but super flavorful beer that challenged expectations and Texan palates. Drinkin’ in the Sunbelt was a perennial favorite this summer, and I have two bottles right now of Black Metal cellared away, if that’s any hint as to how I feel about beers from Jester King.

But, bottled, I’m still undecided about how I feel about Commercial Suicide. First thing I noticed is that it’s a foam monster. Miles and miles of foam that topped and then overflowed my nonic pint glass, with only a few fingers of beer at the base. And I was careful to pour. Too much yeast? Too much agitation? Bottle-conditioning gone wild? Not sure, although I will note that after all the dust, er, foam settled and I was able to achieve a proper pint –the foam dies down quickly, with barely a trace left—there sat a thin yet noticeable layer of particulate or sediment at the bottom of my glass.

The beer itself is a ruddy, dark burgundy-brown. Almost wine like, which is how I remember it on cask. (If it wasn’t for so much effervescence!) There’s an interesting and complex nose on this that’s hard to pin down. I’d go back to the wine comparisons, for it reminds me in some ways of a darkly intense grape juice concentrate. Not syrupy, sappy, sweet… but more like an intense concentrate of stone fruits and cabernet reduction. On the palate, again, I get a lot of bubbly, and it’s almost distracting me from the intense, interesting flavor. Tannic, wine-like, and unlike any mild I’ve ever tried in my life thus far. Thin bodied but with a lingering finish. I wouldn’t mind this warming, and I wouldn’t complain if it went flat. In fact, I’d be willing to drop quotations around warming and flat in the previous sentence and say that this is best served on hand pump. Or, at the very least, suggest you let it warm, and swirl it so some of the bubbles die down. (Add half a letter grade to my score if you see it that way.) But I have a feeling bottled is how it’s going to reach folks, and until their next seasonal comes to town I’ll be happy a happy man. As soon as I clean up the mess from the foam run-off.

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Josh (HopsSchnapps) for this bottle!

As others have mentioned, carbonation is an issue here. Don't rush it, and give a couple inches of extra head space on the first pour in case the head wants to get all uppity. (and it will) Subsequent pours are much more manageable.

After the 4 finger head subsides mostly, the remainder sticks around, which is a nice thing. Very dark brown liquid, with a touch of lighter shades around the edges.

There's a rich maltiness to the aroma, with a soft, but droning chocolate note and bold nuttiness.

Taste is similar in rich malt forwardness. The chocolate mostly takes a back seat to a more nutty taste. It's good though.

Naturally, the carbonation is a bit stingy. That aside though, it's light on the palate.

Overall, it's very nice. You definitely have to work for it more with the carbonation issues, but it's still worth it. I will say that I'd be surprised if the ABV is actually 3.3% for these bum bottles.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »