Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414
1.28/5  rDev -63.7%

Disgusting. Do NOT purchase!

I love Black Metal and Witchmaker, so I know they can make good beer. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one.

It tasted like burnt cleaning supplies.

I'm so confused. It wasn't like they were doing something creative like Mikkeller does, it was just awful.

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

2.01/5  rDev -43.1%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

2.06/5  rDev -41.6%

A- Looked like a mild roasted black coffee

S- Smokey and sweet but an emphasis on smokey

T- Man, this was not good. I felt like I was drinking candle wax or an ash tray. It did have some good malt qualities that made the beer a TAD complex but that ash tray taste was way over powering.

Food Pairing- Smoked Fish

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Thanks (?) to CaptinRedBeard for bringing this to a tasting and letting me make an ass out of myself when opening it. This brew is a gusher, the cap didn't even come all the way off and it sprayed everywhere. My pants caught most of the brew but it also went all over the table, floor, chair, countertop, sink and I think the dog. (Jason, again I apologize.) After the mess was cleaned up, the damn bottle was sitting in the sink and still slowly gushing like a mid school volcano science project. I managed to get a few ounces in my glass but it was hidden under a mountain of huge bubbly composition head. The brew itself is amber brown.

The smell of this brew is exactly what I imagine co2 to be. Just gassy and sulfuric mixed with yeast and grass. As it warms up, some mild caramel grain comes forward along with a touch of vanilla and oak. However, the main character to this brew's aroma is quite off.

The taste is oaky and mildly tannic. Sulfur is well represented with a flavor that I can only describe as sheer carbonation mixed with yeast and sulfur. A mild toasty grain inclusion gets grassy across the back and just all together off.

This is a light bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation. I wore more of this beer than I drank. I enjoy session ales so that isn't the reason for this bad review. This brew really was just bad.

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.84/5  rDev -19.5%

What the heck?

I poured the beer slowly, and the foam was frothing all the way to the top of the stein! What? I had to wait 20 minutes before the foam to subside. It didn't look that appetizing, because I figured it is a sign of extreme over-carbonation....

Smell? Not that impressive. It just is appropriate and it does have hint of floral scents, but it does not reflect that much on the taste.

Taste is all right. I could taste the oak coming through along with some roasting flavor profile being mostly dominant. It tasted like a nutty brown ale to me.

Mouthfeel's terrible. I felt like I was drinking a soda that happens to have beer characteristics. The carbonation really overpowers your sense.

I think this may be the only beer that I really don't like coming from Jester King. The potential of tasting good is there, and I can see/taste it. It just is a weak beer as of now. If they prove to have worked on improving this beer, then I will try it again.

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery