Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.28/5  rDev -65.3%

Disgusting. Do NOT purchase!

I love Black Metal and Witchmaker, so I know they can make good beer. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one.

It tasted like burnt cleaning supplies.

I'm so confused. It wasn't like they were doing something creative like Mikkeller does, it was just awful.

2.01/5  rDev -45.5%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

2.06/5  rDev -44.2%

A- Looked like a mild roasted black coffee

S- Smokey and sweet but an emphasis on smokey

T- Man, this was not good. I felt like I was drinking candle wax or an ash tray. It did have some good malt qualities that made the beer a TAD complex but that ash tray taste was way over powering.

Food Pairing- Smoked Fish

2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

Thanks (?) to CaptinRedBeard for bringing this to a tasting and letting me make an ass out of myself when opening it. This brew is a gusher, the cap didn't even come all the way off and it sprayed everywhere. My pants caught most of the brew but it also went all over the table, floor, chair, countertop, sink and I think the dog. (Jason, again I apologize.) After the mess was cleaned up, the damn bottle was sitting in the sink and still slowly gushing like a mid school volcano science project. I managed to get a few ounces in my glass but it was hidden under a mountain of huge bubbly composition head. The brew itself is amber brown.

The smell of this brew is exactly what I imagine co2 to be. Just gassy and sulfuric mixed with yeast and grass. As it warms up, some mild caramel grain comes forward along with a touch of vanilla and oak. However, the main character to this brew's aroma is quite off.

The taste is oaky and mildly tannic. Sulfur is well represented with a flavor that I can only describe as sheer carbonation mixed with yeast and sulfur. A mild toasty grain inclusion gets grassy across the back and just all together off.

This is a light bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation. I wore more of this beer than I drank. I enjoy session ales so that isn't the reason for this bad review. This brew really was just bad.

2.84/5  rDev -23%

What the heck?

I poured the beer slowly, and the foam was frothing all the way to the top of the stein! What? I had to wait 20 minutes before the foam to subside. It didn't look that appetizing, because I figured it is a sign of extreme over-carbonation....

Smell? Not that impressive. It just is appropriate and it does have hint of floral scents, but it does not reflect that much on the taste.

Taste is all right. I could taste the oak coming through along with some roasting flavor profile being mostly dominant. It tasted like a nutty brown ale to me.

Mouthfeel's terrible. I felt like I was drinking a soda that happens to have beer characteristics. The carbonation really overpowers your sense.

I think this may be the only beer that I really don't like coming from Jester King. The potential of tasting good is there, and I can see/taste it. It just is a weak beer as of now. If they prove to have worked on improving this beer, then I will try it again.

3.01/5  rDev -18.4%

Duvel tulip glass.
Red, cloudy and thick in appearance.
S - musty. Like dirt.
T - if not for the tannic aftertaste, it is largely inconsequential.
M - in contrast to the other reviews, my bottle was rather flat. Dry.
Food pairing - cold Stanley's Farmhouse pizza.

I visited the Jester King Brewery today, sampled a good number of their beers. Being a big fan of their Black Metal Imperial Stout, and their Mad Meg, this was a real treat. This is the2nd Commercial Suicide I have had, and this one was a bit of a disappointment. I agree with many of the posted reviews, noting watery taste.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm a little confused about this beer. I had it in a cask at the Texas Craft Brewers Festival. It was being presented as aged on white oak spirals as if this was new and the Jester King rep told me to call it "Farmhouse" Commercial Suicide on BA because it uses their farmhouse yeast (also presented as if this was unique to this cask). However, I looked up the description of this beer on their site and it seems that both the "farmhouse" yeast use AND the white oak spirals are the standard for brewing this beer, making the cask I had in no way unique or new. So, I'm just going to have to assume this was regular Commercial Suicide. So, moving along:
The smell is what is craziest about this beer. It smells like whiskey. It smells STRONGLY of oak. They made sure PLENTY of oak flavour made its way into this beer. I didn't even know it was possible for such a low-alcohol beverage to soak up so much wood smell.
The taste is kind of a let-down after that. It's so watery that it's hard to appreciate after enjoying that intensely woody smell. It basically tasted like woody water. Not a lot else going on in my opinion. I'm going to have to rate this one poorly because that woody smell is really what dominates and it doesn't really even carry over into the taste very well.

3.32/5  rDev -10%

Big thanks to miikezombie for sending this in an overly generous thank you box.
A- Pours a fairly dark murky brown with a slight red tint. I was aware of the high carbonation reports so I poured this beer as gentle as possible. It still built the most massive light tan bubbly head I have ever seen, truly gargantuan, leaving some lacing on the glass.
S- Quite a smokey nose on this beer with some burnt sugar, cinnamon and some bready yeast.
T- The taste follows the nose with a strong smokiness as in Marlboro Red's, very roasty with a bit of spiciness.
M- Lighter bodied brew with a bit too much carbonation making it slightly tougher to drink.
O- This is a pretty polarizing beer, I can definitely find enjoyable qualities that I'm sure many would enjoy. A bit over carbed which kind of throws things off for me.
Thanks Glen.

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%

Looks like the first bottle review... Rated by Style.
bottle from a local shop...
Opens with a loud pop, and there is yeast on the cap, cant say I have ever seen yeast on the cap of a brew before... Pours with, well, it pours with no liquid. I have no idea what color this is, as all I see in my entire glass is an off white head. This makes me wonder if it is still the 3.6% abv as the label says... hard to get flavor with such a mild abv, I am guessing it still fermented quite a bit in the bottle. It had to, to produce so much head, i hope these dont start to explode.
As it slowly settles, and I am talking 10 minutes later, it is a dark amber color, now with a nice ice cream bobble top.
Nose is yeaty, cinnamon, spicy, like it has rye in it... with a bit of roasted.
taste is roasted caramel on the front, followed by a tonic water type finish. hint of a bitter aftertaste. Actually the aftertaste is smokey... like I just smoked a cigarette... odd.
mouthfeel is thin, WAY over carbonated, but dont really expect much from this style.
Overall this is a good English Dark Mild, but not really a styleI am all that impressed with. Great for the style, hence the high score, but just a boring beer. Lost points on the carbonation though.

3.47/5  rDev -6%

It looks great and smells great. but with an after taste similar to what an ashtray smells like. Weird. Brown with a dirty tan colored head. Bottle conditioned? Smells sweet and inviting. A few hoppy floral notes, but nothing I could pinpoint with consistency. Low booze, which is exactly what I want for the style. Felt firmer on the palate than I expected.

Seriously - ashtray. It took me a while to pin point it, but sure enough it's what I detected. But for some freakish reason, I didn't find it a flaw. Must have been all those cigarettes back int he day, and how delightful they tasted. BTW- it was only in the taste and not the smell. Was this Jester King's intent? If so, maybe ashtray is the next gauze.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Growler poured into a tulip... A medium brown pour, but much much lighter on the fringes, mostly clear. A surprising amount of of head, tan, good retention and lacing... The aroma is very strong for a mild and pretty decent, some toasted grain notes, light hops on the finish. Surprised... The taste just doesn't do it for me. A weird light quad character with some faint dark fruits, yeast out of nowhere, boring light hops. Blah... The mouthfeel is way too light, very watery... This is easy to drink but boring to me. Not my favorite style so I can't hate too much, but I'd pass on this in the future.

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%

Tripel Karmeliet Glass
A ~ A gusher. This seems to be characteristic of all Jester King brews. 5 minutes of steady foam (I counted this time.) The poor is a dark brown with a towering tan head with soda pop carb settles into a meringue-like puff in the center. Rings of lace cling.

S ~ Dark bread, wet leaves. Hints of grass & trees. Whispers of metal. Loses sharpness as it warms & becomes more inviting.

T ~ Dark bread following through quite heavily with hints of leafy vegg, smoked paprika spiciness & touches of burnt vanilla. Caramel & toasty wheat on the back end with various "organic" notes.

M ~ Lightly cracker-like & bready. Crispy. Very carbonated, which becomes a drawback. Finish is woody & dry.

D ~ Session city. Very drinkable, but it's just so dang gassy & carbonated. Huge flavors for the ABV. I dig the oak elements here. Would love a big draft pint of this. Keep the table beers comin'!

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Ginger Man in Austin.

The appearance is a dark reddish brown with a small off-white head. Its` smell has malt, prunes, not bad. As the style indicates, the taste is mild and easy going, maybe too much so. There are some roasted malts and nuts. MF light-medium with a smooth texture. An interesting beer to include in a flight or one pint.

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opened on 1.10.13.

A - Pours a surprisingly dark brown with a one inch tan head, fizzy, but good retention.

S - Subtle roasted malt and coffee.

T - Burnt malty coffee, watery and smokey.

D - Medium carbonation with a very light body.

O - Very light, smokey and toasted malt.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock.

Poured into an unchilled pint glass. No head or lacing whatsoever, but dark soda-looking beer...several folks at the bar asked if it was a coke with no ice.

Smelled like a tame doppelbock...some dark fruit, a little sweetness...actually pretty decent for such a low ABV brew.

Taste followed...doppelbock-esque, a bit tame, to be expected for such a low alcohol beer. Still, more flavor than any bmc brew on the market...that in itself is a victory.

Easy drinking, good carbonation, drank this one down in about 10 minutes...a very nice sessionable beer.

Cheers to JK for brewing a beer that beer drinkers can still enjoy...without kicking your ass in booze.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%

A pint at Second in Austin.

Dark brown, with some light passing through. No head a little lace. Roasted malt aroma with a similar taste. A strong amount of carbonation and medium body. If I wasn't told, I would have thought I was drinking a porter. Malty and somewhat bittersweet. Drinks much bigger than the 3.3% ABV. Makes an excellent session beer.

3.69/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a wine glass

Poured gently, and received a glass full of fizzy head. Ugh. After this subsided, the beer turned out to be dark brown with a khaki head. Lacing was excellent. Also, in subsequent pours the head was not as crazy.

The smell is of bready malt and chocolate.

Taste follows the nose, but there is also a certain nuttiness to it.

Light mouthfeel and well overcarbonated, which becomes prickly.

I was fortunate to have this on tap several months back, and was greeted by a perfect session beer. Unfortunately, this bottled version suffers from major carbonation issues, that is hard to look past.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Served on tap at the Draught House in a standard pint glass. I've a had it a few times here and thought I should finally review.

The beer pours a clear, thin black that turns to red by the end of the glass. I think this sample was under carbonated, so I got pretty much no head. When the carbonation has been upped, I've been able to see a decent head on this this. Seems like they need to work on that issue.

Since the beer came out a bit flat this time, I got little aroma. From what I've had before, the nose comes mostly from the roasted malts. Almost like a baby porter.

The taste is dominated by the flavors from the black malts. Roasty and dark, like a mini porter. However, since it's occasionally flat, this can come across as watery and taste like steeped grains. This also makes it somewhat one dimensional. When I've had better carbonation (like when I had the fantatic whiskey barrel version at Billy's on Burnet), the flavors have been much fuller and more pleasing. The whiskey barrel version also gave it another subtle dimension that placed it far above the standard version. Drinking this makes me miss the whiskey barrel one...

The mouthfeel is distinctly thin and watery. Wish it was more carbonated. Then I could focus on this being a good session beer instead of a watered down version of something that could be really good. That being said, this is distinctly sessionable and I could be happy putting down a pitcher of this over a long sitting.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance-Nice black body, when held up to light some red sneaks through. 1 inch mocha head. Some nice lacing on the glass all the way until the final sip.

Smell-Roasted, Oaky Malts and big time espresso aroma. Big aroma for a 3.3% beer

Taste-Similar to smell and still impressed. Alot of flavor. Lots of coffee and lots of malt all punched in to this light ABV beer. A little bit too much coffee that needed a little more sweetness to my liking. I got some dark chocolate towards the finish. Nonetheless a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel-Smooth drinking beer that is very easy to drink. Hence the ABV.

Overall-This beer was unique and something different. I enjoyed this beer, but not ever sessionable. I could see myself ordering one ever now and again.

3.71/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Rated from notes: had at a share. Pours a cloudy ruby red color with off-white head. Caramel malts and some cereal grains, bread, and very light dark fruit notes on the nose; follows onto the palate. Not bad.

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%

750 mL bottle is waaay overcarbed, poured quick to avoid gushing and about 1/4 beer and 3/4 foam. The head is pretty if you have the patience to let it sit, fades slow and forms massive mesas and canyons in the glass.

Nose is quite nice...toasted nuts are accentuated nicely by a steady presence of oak. Malts are plenty characterful with some roast and even some chocolate.

Tastes of coconut and toast from the wood, nice barrel presence. Lots of malt presence for the low ABV. The carbonation is a big letdown though. I was plenty skeptical of this beer, especially upon purchasing a $7 bottle of 3.3% alcohol beer with known carbonation issues. In the end though, it won me over as the flavors are really nice and enjoyable. Now lets fix the carbonation issues, slash the price about 75% and put it in 12-packs...THEN we have ourselves a serious session beer!

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pretty dark brown with a solid two finger off white head. Smell is oaky, smokey. Taste is also smokey and oak, malty, there's definitely some funk going on and a barnhouse flavor. This isn't the best farmhouse ever but it is extremely impressive how much flavor they pack into such an amazingly low abv beer. The flavors of the mild brown ale are prominent with some funk on top. Worth a pick up for the price.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

The 750 mL bottle had no date. The body was a medium dark brown/cola colored with a very light tan head. The body was clear and the thin head sizzled out quickly.

The smell was nutty. Dried apricots and raisins.

The taste was also nutty. Bone-dry with a stale fruitiness. More flavor than expected for the low ABV.

The body was medium to thin.

This is not something I would seek out again.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to Josh (HopsSchnapps) for this bottle!

As others have mentioned, carbonation is an issue here. Don't rush it, and give a couple inches of extra head space on the first pour in case the head wants to get all uppity. (and it will) Subsequent pours are much more manageable.

After the 4 finger head subsides mostly, the remainder sticks around, which is a nice thing. Very dark brown liquid, with a touch of lighter shades around the edges.

There's a rich maltiness to the aroma, with a soft, but droning chocolate note and bold nuttiness.

Taste is similar in rich malt forwardness. The chocolate mostly takes a back seat to a more nutty taste. It's good though.

Naturally, the carbonation is a bit stingy. That aside though, it's light on the palate.

Overall, it's very nice. You definitely have to work for it more with the carbonation issues, but it's still worth it. I will say that I'd be surprised if the ABV is actually 3.3% for these bum bottles.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I’ve tried this on tap at the brewery and in Austin, and on cask once too. In each instance I felt like I was getting something special—a low abv but super flavorful beer that challenged expectations and Texan palates. Drinkin’ in the Sunbelt was a perennial favorite this summer, and I have two bottles right now of Black Metal cellared away, if that’s any hint as to how I feel about beers from Jester King.

But, bottled, I’m still undecided about how I feel about Commercial Suicide. First thing I noticed is that it’s a foam monster. Miles and miles of foam that topped and then overflowed my nonic pint glass, with only a few fingers of beer at the base. And I was careful to pour. Too much yeast? Too much agitation? Bottle-conditioning gone wild? Not sure, although I will note that after all the dust, er, foam settled and I was able to achieve a proper pint –the foam dies down quickly, with barely a trace left—there sat a thin yet noticeable layer of particulate or sediment at the bottom of my glass.

The beer itself is a ruddy, dark burgundy-brown. Almost wine like, which is how I remember it on cask. (If it wasn’t for so much effervescence!) There’s an interesting and complex nose on this that’s hard to pin down. I’d go back to the wine comparisons, for it reminds me in some ways of a darkly intense grape juice concentrate. Not syrupy, sappy, sweet… but more like an intense concentrate of stone fruits and cabernet reduction. On the palate, again, I get a lot of bubbly, and it’s almost distracting me from the intense, interesting flavor. Tannic, wine-like, and unlike any mild I’ve ever tried in my life thus far. Thin bodied but with a lingering finish. I wouldn’t mind this warming, and I wouldn’t complain if it went flat. In fact, I’d be willing to drop quotations around warming and flat in the previous sentence and say that this is best served on hand pump. Or, at the very least, suggest you let it warm, and swirl it so some of the bubbles die down. (Add half a letter grade to my score if you see it that way.) But I have a feeling bottled is how it’s going to reach folks, and until their next seasonal comes to town I’ll be happy a happy man. As soon as I clean up the mess from the foam run-off.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast