Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414

(Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
monarch

1.25/5  rDev -64.8%

Disgusting. Do NOT purchase!

I love Black Metal and Witchmaker, so I know they can make good beer. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one.

It tasted like burnt cleaning supplies.

I'm so confused. It wasn't like they were doing something creative like Mikkeller does, it was just awful.

11-03-2011 01:54:20 | More by monarch

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

12-18-2011 21:07:45 | More by Sinewave
kwill

1.93/5  rDev -45.6%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

11-04-2011 16:13:12 | More by kwill

drummermattie02

12-15-2011 14:50:28 | More by drummermattie02
BeersCriteria

2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

A- Looked like a mild roasted black coffee

S- Smokey and sweet but an emphasis on smokey

T- Man, this was not good. I felt like I was drinking candle wax or an ash tray. It did have some good malt qualities that made the beer a TAD complex but that ash tray taste was way over powering.

Food Pairing- Smoked Fish

11-20-2011 03:31:16 | More by BeersCriteria
stakem

2.08/5  rDev -41.4%

Thanks (?) to CaptinRedBeard for bringing this to a tasting and letting me make an ass out of myself when opening it. This brew is a gusher, the cap didn't even come all the way off and it sprayed everywhere. My pants caught most of the brew but it also went all over the table, floor, chair, countertop, sink and I think the dog. (Jason, again I apologize.) After the mess was cleaned up, the damn bottle was sitting in the sink and still slowly gushing like a mid school volcano science project. I managed to get a few ounces in my glass but it was hidden under a mountain of huge bubbly composition head. The brew itself is amber brown.

The smell of this brew is exactly what I imagine co2 to be. Just gassy and sulfuric mixed with yeast and grass. As it warms up, some mild caramel grain comes forward along with a touch of vanilla and oak. However, the main character to this brew's aroma is quite off.

The taste is oaky and mildly tannic. Sulfur is well represented with a flavor that I can only describe as sheer carbonation mixed with yeast and sulfur. A mild toasty grain inclusion gets grassy across the back and just all together off.

This is a light bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation. I wore more of this beer than I drank. I enjoy session ales so that isn't the reason for this bad review. This brew really was just bad.

01-06-2012 19:27:15 | More by stakem

07-08-2013 19:17:06 | More by masonacoats
2xHops

2.85/5  rDev -19.7%

What the heck?

I poured the beer slowly, and the foam was frothing all the way to the top of the stein! What? I had to wait 20 minutes before the foam to subside. It didn't look that appetizing, because I figured it is a sign of extreme over-carbonation....

Smell? Not that impressive. It just is appropriate and it does have hint of floral scents, but it does not reflect that much on the taste.

Taste is all right. I could taste the oak coming through along with some roasting flavor profile being mostly dominant. It tasted like a nutty brown ale to me.

Mouthfeel's terrible. I felt like I was drinking a soda that happens to have beer characteristics. The carbonation really overpowers your sense.

I think this may be the only beer that I really don't like coming from Jester King. The potential of tasting good is there, and I can see/taste it. It just is a weak beer as of now. If they prove to have worked on improving this beer, then I will try it again.

11-19-2011 01:16:27 | More by 2xHops
RoastBeef

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

Duvel tulip glass.
Red, cloudy and thick in appearance.
S - musty. Like dirt.
T - if not for the tannic aftertaste, it is largely inconsequential.
M - in contrast to the other reviews, my bottle was rather flat. Dry.
Food pairing - cold Stanley's Farmhouse pizza.

I visited the Jester King Brewery today, sampled a good number of their beers. Being a big fan of their Black Metal Imperial Stout, and their Mad Meg, this was a real treat. This is the2nd Commercial Suicide I have had, and this one was a bit of a disappointment. I agree with many of the posted reviews, noting watery taste.

12-23-2012 02:11:46 | More by RoastBeef
ElCommodoro

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm a little confused about this beer. I had it in a cask at the Texas Craft Brewers Festival. It was being presented as aged on white oak spirals as if this was new and the Jester King rep told me to call it "Farmhouse" Commercial Suicide on BA because it uses their farmhouse yeast (also presented as if this was unique to this cask). However, I looked up the description of this beer on their site and it seems that both the "farmhouse" yeast use AND the white oak spirals are the standard for brewing this beer, making the cask I had in no way unique or new. So, I'm just going to have to assume this was regular Commercial Suicide. So, moving along:
The smell is what is craziest about this beer. It smells like whiskey. It smells STRONGLY of oak. They made sure PLENTY of oak flavour made its way into this beer. I didn't even know it was possible for such a low-alcohol beverage to soak up so much wood smell.
The taste is kind of a let-down after that. It's so watery that it's hard to appreciate after enjoying that intensely woody smell. It basically tasted like woody water. Not a lot else going on in my opinion. I'm going to have to rate this one poorly because that woody smell is really what dominates and it doesn't really even carry over into the taste very well.

Serving type: cask