Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

It looks great and smells great. but with an after taste similar to what an ashtray smells like. Weird. Brown with a dirty tan colored head. Bottle conditioned? Smells sweet and inviting. A few hoppy floral notes, but nothing I could pinpoint with consistency. Low booze, which is exactly what I want for the style. Felt firmer on the palate than I expected.

Seriously - ashtray. It took me a while to pin point it, but sure enough it's what I detected. But for some freakish reason, I didn't find it a flaw. Must have been all those cigarettes back int he day, and how delightful they tasted. BTW- it was only in the taste and not the smell. Was this Jester King's intent? If so, maybe ashtray is the next gauze.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle poured into a wine glass

Poured gently, and received a glass full of fizzy head. Ugh. After this subsided, the beer turned out to be dark brown with a khaki head. Lacing was excellent. Also, in subsequent pours the head was not as crazy.

The smell is of bready malt and chocolate.

Taste follows the nose, but there is also a certain nuttiness to it.

Light mouthfeel and well overcarbonated, which becomes prickly.

I was fortunate to have this on tap several months back, and was greeted by a perfect session beer. Unfortunately, this bottled version suffers from major carbonation issues, that is hard to look past.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Josh (HopsSchnapps) for this bottle!

As others have mentioned, carbonation is an issue here. Don't rush it, and give a couple inches of extra head space on the first pour in case the head wants to get all uppity. (and it will) Subsequent pours are much more manageable.

After the 4 finger head subsides mostly, the remainder sticks around, which is a nice thing. Very dark brown liquid, with a touch of lighter shades around the edges.

There's a rich maltiness to the aroma, with a soft, but droning chocolate note and bold nuttiness.

Taste is similar in rich malt forwardness. The chocolate mostly takes a back seat to a more nutty taste. It's good though.

Naturally, the carbonation is a bit stingy. That aside though, it's light on the palate.

Overall, it's very nice. You definitely have to work for it more with the carbonation issues, but it's still worth it. I will say that I'd be surprised if the ABV is actually 3.3% for these bum bottles.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

I’ve tried this on tap at the brewery and in Austin, and on cask once too. In each instance I felt like I was getting something special—a low abv but super flavorful beer that challenged expectations and Texan palates. Drinkin’ in the Sunbelt was a perennial favorite this summer, and I have two bottles right now of Black Metal cellared away, if that’s any hint as to how I feel about beers from Jester King.

But, bottled, I’m still undecided about how I feel about Commercial Suicide. First thing I noticed is that it’s a foam monster. Miles and miles of foam that topped and then overflowed my nonic pint glass, with only a few fingers of beer at the base. And I was careful to pour. Too much yeast? Too much agitation? Bottle-conditioning gone wild? Not sure, although I will note that after all the dust, er, foam settled and I was able to achieve a proper pint –the foam dies down quickly, with barely a trace left—there sat a thin yet noticeable layer of particulate or sediment at the bottom of my glass.

The beer itself is a ruddy, dark burgundy-brown. Almost wine like, which is how I remember it on cask. (If it wasn’t for so much effervescence!) There’s an interesting and complex nose on this that’s hard to pin down. I’d go back to the wine comparisons, for it reminds me in some ways of a darkly intense grape juice concentrate. Not syrupy, sappy, sweet… but more like an intense concentrate of stone fruits and cabernet reduction. On the palate, again, I get a lot of bubbly, and it’s almost distracting me from the intense, interesting flavor. Tannic, wine-like, and unlike any mild I’ve ever tried in my life thus far. Thin bodied but with a lingering finish. I wouldn’t mind this warming, and I wouldn’t complain if it went flat. In fact, I’d be willing to drop quotations around warming and flat in the previous sentence and say that this is best served on hand pump. Or, at the very least, suggest you let it warm, and swirl it so some of the bubbles die down. (Add half a letter grade to my score if you see it that way.) But I have a feeling bottled is how it’s going to reach folks, and until their next seasonal comes to town I’ll be happy a happy man. As soon as I clean up the mess from the foam run-off.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

I had 4 oz of this on tap and loved it, but something must have changed when bottled. I love JK's other beers so I was really looking forward to this one.

Appearance - Once you get past the crazy head the appearance is really good for the style.

Smell - Decent smell with a bitter, roasty spicyness. Things are looking good so far.

Taste - I have never actually tasted an ashtray, but I imagine this is what it would taste like. So much smoke and chemically flavor that it reminded me of a cigarette.

Mouthfeel - Way too much carbonation, which I think enhanced the ashtray taste. I let this beer sit opened in the fridge for two days to see if it would improve, but it was still over the top.

Overall - Ultimately this was a drain pour. I could not get past the ashtray taste and carbonation and ended up pouring about half of the bottle. Unfortunately I bought two bottles of it because I had such high hopes due to JK's other offerings.

This will be my second Jester King beer. Next will be their Black Metal. I really appreciate the styles they chose to brew and this English Dark Mild Ale is no exception. Time to dive in.

I'm sure every single other review has mentioned this, but WATCH OUT FOR THE HEAD!!! It's insane. I poured out a tiny bit, noticed that the head develops very fast, and then decided to pour it very carefully and slowly into my Duvel glass. That didn't help at all. The head grew four fingers thick, a creamy off-white color, and even as it passed the top of the glass, it still built up. I had to wait several minutes for the head to be relatively small and to pour more beer in. I'd guess it took me about 30 minutes to get most of the beer into my glass. Ok, enough about the insane head. The beer is very opaque and the darkest of brown. Up to the light it has a lighter brown-ruby color. Obviously, the personality is in the head.

Mmm...I love this smell. Roasty, malty sweet, a bit of coffee, cereals, sweet raisins, and nutty. This is one of those beers that makes you hungry smelling it. Cinnamon spice and perhaps some rye as well.

I may be wrong but I do not believe I've had an English Dark Strong Ale before but I'm really liking what Jester King has here. It's almost like a porter in its flavors but I think I may prefer this over most every porter I've had. This is very roasty. Roasted barley, toasted biscuit, coffee lingers toward the end, and there is a nutty bitterness in it too that adds complexity. Nutty like Texas pecans. Caramel and raisiny sweetness is there but is lesser to the other flavors. I'm impressed.

While the body is on the lighter side, I don't find it to be watery, not too thin. Perhaps it has too much carbonation but it doesn't put me off. This is very drinkable.

Another fantastic beer from Jester King. They're two for two with me so far and I can't wait to try more of their beers. A lot of character with the head, some interesting and complex smells and flavors, and an overall an impressive brew.

1.25/5  rDev -64.6%

Disgusting. Do NOT purchase!

I love Black Metal and Witchmaker, so I know they can make good beer. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one.

It tasted like burnt cleaning supplies.

I'm so confused. It wasn't like they were doing something creative like Mikkeller does, it was just awful.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Looks like the first bottle review... Rated by Style.
bottle from a local shop...
Opens with a loud pop, and there is yeast on the cap, cant say I have ever seen yeast on the cap of a brew before... Pours with, well, it pours with no liquid. I have no idea what color this is, as all I see in my entire glass is an off white head. This makes me wonder if it is still the 3.6% abv as the label says... hard to get flavor with such a mild abv, I am guessing it still fermented quite a bit in the bottle. It had to, to produce so much head, i hope these dont start to explode.
As it slowly settles, and I am talking 10 minutes later, it is a dark amber color, now with a nice ice cream bobble top.
Nose is yeaty, cinnamon, spicy, like it has rye in it... with a bit of roasted.
taste is roasted caramel on the front, followed by a tonic water type finish. hint of a bitter aftertaste. Actually the aftertaste is smokey... like I just smoked a cigarette... odd.
mouthfeel is thin, WAY over carbonated, but dont really expect much from this style.
Overall this is a good English Dark Mild, but not really a styleI am all that impressed with. Great for the style, hence the high score, but just a boring beer. Lost points on the carbonation though.

4.2/5  rDev +19%

A - Black bodied beer that comes up red on the edges. Little bit of a tannish head that left a little bit of lace on the side.

S - Roast, some caramel sweetness, coffee. Has a solid malt backbone.

T - Really good flavor for something that has this little alcohol in it. Some caramel malts, slight bit of coffee, some cocoa powder. Really has a lot going on for something with lower ABV.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with solid carbonation.

O - Really great beer with a lot of good flavor that you can drink tons of. Fantastic for something with this low ABV.

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Had on tap at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock.

Poured into an unchilled pint glass. No head or lacing whatsoever, but dark soda-looking beer...several folks at the bar asked if it was a coke with no ice.

Smelled like a tame doppelbock...some dark fruit, a little sweetness...actually pretty decent for such a low ABV brew.

Taste followed...doppelbock-esque, a bit tame, to be expected for such a low alcohol beer. Still, more flavor than any bmc brew on the market...that in itself is a victory.

Easy drinking, good carbonation, drank this one down in about 10 minutes...a very nice sessionable beer.

Cheers to JK for brewing a beer that beer drinkers can still enjoy...without kicking your ass in booze.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Ginger Man in Austin.

The appearance is a dark reddish brown with a small off-white head. Its` smell has malt, prunes, not bad. As the style indicates, the taste is mild and easy going, maybe too much so. There are some roasted malts and nuts. MF light-medium with a smooth texture. An interesting beer to include in a flight or one pint.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance-Nice black body, when held up to light some red sneaks through. 1 inch mocha head. Some nice lacing on the glass all the way until the final sip.

Smell-Roasted, Oaky Malts and big time espresso aroma. Big aroma for a 3.3% beer

Taste-Similar to smell and still impressed. Alot of flavor. Lots of coffee and lots of malt all punched in to this light ABV beer. A little bit too much coffee that needed a little more sweetness to my liking. I got some dark chocolate towards the finish. Nonetheless a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel-Smooth drinking beer that is very easy to drink. Hence the ABV.

Overall-This beer was unique and something different. I enjoyed this beer, but not ever sessionable. I could see myself ordering one ever now and again.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into a frosted (I know!) goblet at Hopdoddy. I had to let it warm up a lot in order to accurately judge it. From now on I ask them for not frozen glasses.

Appearance: Black with red hues when held up to the light. Kind of hard to see since it was dark in the restaurant. There was a white head but it faded quickly due to the glass.

Aroma: Initially there was really nothing, so I waited and used my hands to warm up the glass. Slowly but surely as the beer warmed up I could begin to smell it. At first there were roasty notes that appeared, and then soon after I could distinguish that there were nice chocolate and caramel notes. Later as the beer warmed up even more I could make out vanilla. Very complex from such a low ABV.

Taste: Malty and sweet, with roasted notes and a hint of oak. Again very flavorful for such a low ABV beer.
Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated and easy to drink. It was not super light bodied like beers of low alcohol tend to be.

Overall: Excellent beer from Jester King. This could easily be drunk all night and you would enjoy the experience too. They showed that big things can come in small packages. I look forward to more Jester King offerings.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A pint at Second in Austin.

Dark brown, with some light passing through. No head a little lace. Roasted malt aroma with a similar taste. A strong amount of carbonation and medium body. If I wasn't told, I would have thought I was drinking a porter. Malty and somewhat bittersweet. Drinks much bigger than the 3.3% ABV. Makes an excellent session beer.

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler poured into a tulip... A medium brown pour, but much much lighter on the fringes, mostly clear. A surprising amount of of head, tan, good retention and lacing... The aroma is very strong for a mild and pretty decent, some toasted grain notes, light hops on the finish. Surprised... The taste just doesn't do it for me. A weird light quad character with some faint dark fruits, yeast out of nowhere, boring light hops. Blah... The mouthfeel is way too light, very watery... This is easy to drink but boring to me. Not my favorite style so I can't hate too much, but I'd pass on this in the future.

Commercial Suicide from Jester King Brewery