Commercial Suicide - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.30% ABV

This version of Commercial Suicide has been permanently supplanted by the oaked farmhouse version -  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/86414

(Beer added by: champ103 on 10-16-2010)
2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

ThirstyInAustin, Feb 18, 2012

bulldogg007, Feb 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

gory4d, Feb 03, 2012

kew, Jan 20, 2012

bsuedekum, Jan 18, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -41.4%

Thanks (?) to CaptinRedBeard for bringing this to a tasting and letting me make an ass out of myself when opening it. This brew is a gusher, the cap didn't even come all the way off and it sprayed everywhere. My pants caught most of the brew but it also went all over the table, floor, chair, countertop, sink and I think the dog. (Jason, again I apologize.) After the mess was cleaned up, the damn bottle was sitting in the sink and still slowly gushing like a mid school volcano science project. I managed to get a few ounces in my glass but it was hidden under a mountain of huge bubbly composition head. The brew itself is amber brown.

The smell of this brew is exactly what I imagine co2 to be. Just gassy and sulfuric mixed with yeast and grass. As it warms up, some mild caramel grain comes forward along with a touch of vanilla and oak. However, the main character to this brew's aroma is quite off.

The taste is oaky and mildly tannic. Sulfur is well represented with a flavor that I can only describe as sheer carbonation mixed with yeast and sulfur. A mild toasty grain inclusion gets grassy across the back and just all together off.

This is a light bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation. I wore more of this beer than I drank. I enjoy session ales so that isn't the reason for this bad review. This brew really was just bad.

stakem, Jan 06, 2012

BeerThursdays, Dec 29, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

radioscooter, Dec 27, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

First off, if you dont like session beers or beers of the mild category, you'll probably dislike or even hate this one.

Second, big thanks to lnashsig for this one plus multiple others of Jester King's newer releases

A - Heed the carbonation warnings on this one, definitely a gusher. Wow. Dark brown/chestnut color with large off white head, few white particulates in the bottom

S - Whoa. Huge smell for a mild on this one. Bit coffee, chocolate notes, bready and toasted smells come through nicely, get the oak as well

T - Follows the nose, but much less taste comparatively. A bit dissapointed at first. I was about halfway through my second pint before my palate adjusted.

Oats,chocolate, bit of spices, oak. Found the last part of the bottle to be the tastiest. Overall, quite nice actually.

M - Pretty carbonated overall, not good or bad, just the facts. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall this beer could be the start of my conversion to liking session beers. Not sure though because the beers I session are just your normal awsome beers but I just drink alot, haha, so we'll have to see.

I can definitely appreciate this beer for what it is. If the taste wasn't "mild" then I think this beer would be a borderline hype homerun. Its the type though thats a love or hate though, which is evident from the huge pDEV.

beenitty, Dec 26, 2011

whartontallboy, Dec 21, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

Sinewave, Dec 18, 2011

duff247, Dec 18, 2011

trojankeg, Dec 17, 2011

drummermattie02, Dec 15, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Big thanks to miikezombie for sending this in an overly generous thank you box.
A- Pours a fairly dark murky brown with a slight red tint. I was aware of the high carbonation reports so I poured this beer as gentle as possible. It still built the most massive light tan bubbly head I have ever seen, truly gargantuan, leaving some lacing on the glass.
S- Quite a smokey nose on this beer with some burnt sugar, cinnamon and some bready yeast.
T- The taste follows the nose with a strong smokiness as in Marlboro Red's, very roasty with a bit of spiciness.
M- Lighter bodied brew with a bit too much carbonation making it slightly tougher to drink.
O- This is a pretty polarizing beer, I can definitely find enjoyable qualities that I'm sure many would enjoy. A bit over carbed which kind of throws things off for me.
Thanks Glen.