Black Metal Imperial Stout - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.40% ABV

Beer added by: redraider2323 on 12-21-2010

This version of Black Metal has been permanently supplanted by the farmhouse version -
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/75396
4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

On Tap @ Trinity Hall Dallas

A- As black as night with a very nice toasted head that remained thoughout the drink.

S- Chocolate, malt, sweet

T- Incredible everything the smell had plus some bitter/char

M- I would have liked a slight bit more carbination but I am a bit of a carb freak. A little thin for a stout to me.

D- I downed 2 and didn't feel it until midway through the second. A very very very delicious RIS, very proud this is from Texas!

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Holy cow was this beer amazing. Had it on draft at Major League Grill in Beaumont, TX. Wasn't expecting them to have it, and I even got to try Commercial Suicide from Jester King on draft as well. This beer was dark, very dark and maybe it was because I knew the name, but I can totally see why they called it Black Metal Stout. Tons of oak and hints of wine. Could tell it had some wild yeast in it and this beer was incredible. In the top 5 RIS I have had in my beer loving tenure.

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Took the bottle (bomber) out of the fridge and let it sit for a half an hour before pouring into my snifter. Poured as black as a moonless night with a 2 inch brown head that was clinging to the edge of the glass throughout my session. Really nice looking imperial stout. Nose is mostly dark/bitter chocolate and smokey burnt roasted malts. Taste is all chocolate that is sweeter than it smellls, roasted malts, smokey like a b-b-que pit on a warm Texas hill country evening, alcohol is present but almost an afterthought. Mouthfeel is medium, could be thicker for its style but still very enjoyable. Overall one of my new favorite imperial stouts. Very drinkable for a beer as strong as it is.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Received from mikesgroove in my Birthday BIF box. Thanks Mike!

Poured into a snifter. Pours a jet black with a deep mocha head of over two fingers. Very bubbly. Head drops slowly.

Aromas of dark roast malt, licorise, dark coffee, and very dark (90%?) cocoa. Vanilla and alcohol after the head fades away. Tiramisu in a glass.

Flavors of cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, dark coffee. An herbal hop bitterness that is greatly masked by the roasted malt bitterness.

Mouthfeel is full, chewy, with a light sour tang. Good level of carbonation for such a big brew.

Overall a fantastic brew, if you're worthy. One of the best RISs I've had in a while. Wish this was more available to me in the Chicago area.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

This brew, from a bottle cellared approximately one year, pours an oily jet black with a minimal head and lacing which can be reproduced with a quick swirl. The aroma reminds me of chocolate covered apricots with a touch of alcohol. It is one of the richest stouts I've had, big and thick. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, just enough carbonation to make it interesting, but not so much to overwhelm the palate. The flavor is extraordinary, chocolate, figs, some alcohol toward the end. Bittersweet finish. It will be interesting to compare this with the farmhouse version. Had I known, I'd have bought another bottle or two for a side by side.

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow this beer its truly amazing. The appearance is really nice, pitch black with a two finger head. Taste its really creamy, sweet, smokey, with s presence of dark fruits. Mouthfeel isb nice. Overall this is a great imperial stout from our friends at jester king. By the way this beer is still available! ! Not retired

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I need to thank my buddy Josh from TX for sending this to me. I'm drinking this one after a Fulton's Worthy Adversary. I thought it wouldn't compare as a runner-up, but boy was I wrong. Two words: Holy sh*t. 2011 bottle poured into a Duvel snifter.

A: Despite being named "Black Metal", this beer is mildly transparent. Honestly, not what I expected, but still opaque enough to live up to its name. The head, oh god the head. This is one of the most gorgeous heads I've ever seen in a beer. Mocha / khaki colored, pretty good carbonation given that it's a 2011.

S: This is the best smelling beer I've ever smelt. Without the head, this beer is boozey and malty. However, once the head kicks in, you can definitely get a taste of the roasted malts, and sour fruits. There's a slight apple-back, but it is dominated by raisin and prune.

T: Once the head sets in, there's no way of knowing that this is a 10.4% beer. Once again, there's a strong fruit backing - raisins (as per usual with a RIS), prunes, plums, and a SLIGHT hint of vinegar-y sour apple. Also, I feel as though there is slight apricot flavoring in this, perhaps attributed to the farmhouse yeast. Honestly, my buddy and I also agree that there is a slight straw backing. The aftertaste is primarily toasted malts and roasted coffee. There is MILD dark chocolate backing as well. *keep in mind, I drink my stouts at room temp., and you may need to wait at least a half hour before you get these hints*

M: The more I drink this beer, the more I can appreciate the mouth feel. The best way that I can describe this is as drinking a glass of skim milk (I can't explain this, try it if you need to understand). At first the mouth felt dark and heavy, perhaps unappreciated. However, the more you drink it, the less 'thick' it becomes, and the more drinkable it feels. It almost seems like it is on nitro-tap.

O: I traded some nice beer for this, and I couldn't have been any happier. Although this beer doesn't compare to the Fulton's Worthy Adversary I drank about an hour ago, it is a close competitor. I hope I can land my hands on some more, given that it is retired. PS, all you Texas locals, if you find the right store, it's still on the shelves (shelf turds anyone?). I hope this inspires more people to crack this beer open, if it's cellared. I'm not sure it gets any better than this.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you to Jeff at JKCB for the bottle!

Pours a beautiful black - as black as Dead's heart. With a decent head as well. A bit of chocolate and coffee in the nose as well as the taste. And, man, the taste is awesome on this - reminds me of the first time I heard Emperor's ITNE way back when - jaw droppingly good. Medium to thick mouthfeel on this one that would make The Black Legions proud. Finishes with a port like quality. Drinkable, even at the high ABV - dangerously so, just like black metal music. Jester King delivered the goods on this one!

Next review!

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black, and lets no light pass through. Has a milk chocolate two finger head which fades slowly to one finger. Leaves a nice lace. The aroma has chocolate, cocoa, dark roasted malt, and dark fruit.

The taste also has chocolate, cocoa, dark roasted malt, dark fruit, and a small amount of vanilla. This is a sweet beer which has some balance provided by the bitterness of the dark roasted malt.

Silky smooth, full bodied, with modest carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden for 10.40 %. This is an outstanding Russian Imperial Stout. A must try if you get the chance.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Black as night with a dark tan quarter-inch head that halved in size before my first sip.

S: Beautiful; chocolate, coffee and lots of roasted malt. Really stands out.

T: Dark chocolate and malt hit me at first, but a bitter hoppiness provided a great finish.

M: The creaminess really coats the mouth.

O: This beer really surprised me — in a good way of course. It is very complex and stands out from your ordinary stouts, thanks to that hoppy finish. Next time I'm in Texas I'll go out of my way to pick up a few more.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

I am writing this while drinking the "2nd half" of the bomber from a "Nine Fine Irishmen" pint glass

A: This brew looks like "Texas Gold", pouring a thick fast head that stay around. Once the head dissipates, a nice thick caramel colored lacing around the side of the glass

S: Strong chocolate scents

T: a not-so-subtle chocolate followed by a smooth roasted finish..

M: Full-bodied, with a nice feel. Not as overpowering as the pour would lead you to believe

O: Fantastic stout. I have been a huge fan of the Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout, but will definitely be on the lookout for more of this offering from Jester King.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Grabbed a delicious growled of this from whip in:

Poured into a surly darkness snifter:

Pours a rich dark black with a brown head, when in the light the edge is a ruby color

The smell is boozy with a surprising amount of roasted nuts and hops, reminds me of yeti but not quite that strong. I really dig the way this smells.

Taste is similar, boozy up front with roasted malts - coffee, toffee and roasted nuts. This follows with a nice bitterness at the end that makes it very crisp and clean. I imagine this might be why people find it very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style but nothing terrible

I'd say I could probably go overboard and drink quite a bit of this without realizing that it's 10% that's for sure. I'm curious to how it will translate into bottles eventually but on tap it's quite smooth and nice for the subtle Texas winter; not too thick and filling but a nice warming boozy dark beer. Ahem, or as texas would say ale.

4.65/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into my most trusted glass.

Jet black Pour. Oil. Loufa sponge mocha colored head. Several fingers thick. Smell is exquisite. Fig, bakers chocolate, ripe fruit. The fruit is what was interesting. My buddy and I both picked up mango and green apple. Seriously interesting. Not a heavy mouth. Carbonated to a level of medium. Taste was green apple up front followed by the bakers chocolate. I dig this pour.

This stout wasn't the norm for me. Their own take, and it was surprisingly well done. I'm impressed to say the least.

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

You certainly must appreciate a company that stands behind its products, and Jester King does just that. I want to give this beer another review since the first one had a failing cap. This one actually rode home on my motorcycle as well, but sat upright because it rode laying down last time. The cap didn't leak either way, so they seem to have nipped that problem off. So, here we go with a review of a properly presented Black Metal Imperial Stout that has been given a couple days to settle:

Appearance: Pours dark as heck with a small 1/4" head of small tan bubbles on top that are creamy looking and fade slowly. It is hard to tell what kind of bubbles are rising to maintain the head since it is black. A minute after the pour, the head is every bit of half its height. Surprisingly there is no lace left on the glass. As you swirl the beer, the lace is solid and makes a creamy wave that "oozes" down the side and back into the beer like "the blob" or something. Nice! Even though it isn't sticking, I guess the alcohol is just cleaning it up, which is different, but still appealing.

Aroma: The aroma gave lots of chocolate with some sweet toffee and a little hint of floral hops that all remind me of an exotic candy. The alcohol is already making an appearance by warming up the nose and giving some spice and bit of a prickle on the back of the nose from the heat. My palate is really fresh tonight, so I may be a little sensitive to the alcohol. As the beer sits, the chocolate is just getting more pronounced, and there is a creamy oat-like thing starting to come out.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely in that it has lots of chocolate with some sweetness from the toffee and a bit of alcohol in there to spice things up. Surprisingly the alcohol doesn't really burn in the finish, but is adding spicy complexity throughout the whole flavor profile. The beer is amazingly light bodied for being such a beast and is coming across as some shade of medium. The carbonation in this beer is definitely ample, so it covers up the alcohol pretty well. Amazingly as well is the fact that the finish is not acidic from the dark malts, so there must have been plenty of care taken in the water selection as well. The finish has some sweetness, but there is definitely some hops in this beer. I am tasting them more in the burp than in the flavor of the beer. I would have to say that this beer is balanced as far as the malt/hop thing goes, but the alcohol comes in there to help dry things out and keep the beer feeling light on the palate the whole time.

Opinion: I will have to go back and read my last review because the carbonation is really one of the things that make this beer. The balance of the recipe is outstanding, but there is a lot to the mouthfeel of this beer that is rather in-describable. The mix of chocolate and sweetness, with subtle floral hopping and added spice from the alcohol make this beer a real treat to drink. It is a bit like a dessert with a wallop at the end, so I doubt that I could drink more than one bottle myself, but that probably wouldn't be recommended for an ordinary human anyway.

Original Review - April 6, 2011
App = 3.5
Sml = 4.0
Tst = 4.0
Mfl = 3.0
Ovl = 4.0

Total = 3.88

I just tried this beer at the Flying Saucer tonight on tap and brought this one home, but unfortunately the cap couldn't take the "force" of my motorcycle and spewed most of the bottle on the freeway and the back of my bike. I have some Cradle Of Filth (Black Metal by some interpretation) on and am ready to partake in this beer. Let's give what is left a review:

Appearance: Pours dark as heck with a very small milk chocolate colored head that was made up of small creamy bubbles. The head was gone within about 20 seconds to leave a quite still looking black liquid.

Aroma: The chocolate is the predominant force in the aroma, but there is coffee and some bittersweet chocolate. The alcohol is also a big player in the beer adding spicy complexity among other notes. There are some toasty and slightly sweet aromatics coming out as the beer warms.

Taste: The flavor is quite bold with plenty of assertive roasty malt notes and a noticeable acidity. This acidity is more assertive than the beer was on tap tonight, so this may have to do with the lower carbonation after leaking. There are some sweet malty notes in this beer that have a subtle caramel quality and and assertive black malt. The mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation after the ride home.

Opinion: Overall this is a very well made beer. It has a great balance of hops and malt that at least 90% of beers fall short on. The malt is a huge part of this beer giving it a medium body regardless, a low carbonation, and the medium body of this beer make it quite substantial on the palate. The finish has some alcohol to dry things out, but it stays pretty assertively malty the whole time.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Listening to Mastodon 'Remission' as I review this one. Need some Heavy Metal while consuming this one!

This beer looks incredible! Solid black body, with a big mocha head. A ring of brown bubbles hugs the sides of the glass and lacing to go along with it. Quite possibly the best looking stout I've ever seen.

Aromas of rich milk/dark chocolates, chocolate cake, black licorice, chewy caramels, vanilla ice cream, and a faint nutty aroma in the background. Big malts swell in the nose. The chocolate malts and roasted barley balance nice with each other.

This is one smooth, creamy, clean, and velvety imperial stout. No where near as big as the alcohol of 10%+ would suggest. The hop presence can be detected, which adds a tinge of bitterness to the mouthfeel. The hops come out in the middle and carry through past the finish. Finishes a touch dry with the roasted qualities coming out. Flavors consist of bitter dark chocolates, roasted coffee beans, and grains.

A true rockstar of a beer. This beer is like velvet...the smell, tastes, and feel are so enjoyable. A must try imperial stout that makes quite a name for itself.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Retired now? Ok
Pours deep black, as expected, with nice root beer-colored, double-fingered head.
Smells of alcohol and roasted cocoa and espresso.
Very easy-going milk chocolate taste, with a bitter, burning finish. Carbonation aplenty.
I wonder what the farmhouse version of this is like, as that's apparently the replacement for Black Metal RIS, a rock solid stout.

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer pours obsidian black with no traces of light that even show the slightest trace of anything other than infinitesmal blackness with copious amounts of creamy tan head.

On the nose its not extremely aromatic but its got a nice roasty tasty malt going on, not much hop action going on though.

Flavor wise its got a dry burnt roasty malt flavor mixed in with some aggressive hoppy bitterness that comes in at the end.

Its got a nice low level of carbonation, medium viscosity, goes down nice and smooth.

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to bhollas for this major want.

A: Might be the blackest beer I've ever seen (Ten Fidy). One finger dark chocolate head with minimal retention and a little lacing.

S: Smell is a bit light. Chocolate, roasted coffee. Slight touch of anise.

T: Vanilla and milk chocolate upfront. Anise and big roasted coffee come next. Finishes with roast coffee, dark chocolate and the anise. Slight alcohol burn.

M: Full bodied. Super thick. Medium carbonation. Very smooth and velvety.

O: Up with the top RIS's I've had. And it's not even bourbon barrel aged. Great beer!

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Drinking a Black Metal from Dec 2010. Due to some unfortunate events with a broken box, this came back to me, and I was afraid the cap had leaked because it was missing about 2 inches of beer from what I normally see in these bottles, and the cap was dented. Here we go- gotta see if it is oxidized and messed up.

Popped the cap, still lets out a hiss, whew. Still smells like dark chocolate and dark fruits coming off the bottle. Looks like this one is still intact. I'm sad to have not waited longer, but this is one of my favorite beers so I'm glad to open it regardless. Poured from bottle into my Brooklyn tulip glass. Pours a pitch black nice thick texture. Tan head comes up off the pitch black liquid, but it dies away pretty quickly. Smell- espresso, dark chocolate, but there is something uniquely English about the yeast- almost reminds me of a mild- it is nice and subdued. Taste- dark chocolate sweetness, espresso bitterness in the back of the throat (the big hops presence probably contributes to this), but overall very smooth- there is some dark fruit presence- maybe figs, raisons. A lot going on here.

Overall, there is pretty much no alcohol presence here at all. So smooth, decadent. I will be buying many more of these to age as soon as JK makes more.

4.52/5  rDev +10%

A - dark brown to black. Not quite the black hole I was expecting, but making up for it is the gorgeous chocolate mousse head.

S - lots of roast, chocolate, dark baked bread aromas. Powerful aroma in terms of being a lot to take in.

T - roasty, burnt and chocolate flavors that are all pretty intense. Intense, aggressive flavors for sure. Pretty firm hop bitternesss.

M/D - the biggest surprise of this beer to me is the drinkability. I thought it would be a sugar bomb that would kill my palate for the night, but it was actually pretty dry and drinkable. The alcohol is well masked. I'm shocked to say I think I could drink a couple of these because normally this is a style that I can only have a few ounces of.

4.51/5  rDev +9.7%

Reviewed with my friend Nathan on December 25, 2011 after a Christmas party. Poured a 750 mL bottle into a A&M pint glass.

A: This was a beast that poured like motor oil and didn;t let any light in. The head that this drink was able to create was baffling, it poured 3-4 fingered heads at a time.

S: The smell was chocolately, but with a roast background.

T: The taste was something that is unforgettable. The taste come on with dark chocolate, then a hint of coffee and then it ended with a roasted smokey malts taste.

M: This beast was was more creamy than a milk stout. This was definitely full bodied, but the carbonation blended nicely with this.

O: From a brewery that started at the beginning of 2011 they walked into brewing knowing what they were doing. This sounds dumb to say, but some breweries just seem as if they have no clue what they are doing and their brews are mediocre at best. For a brew that is talked about as much as this one is it truly deserves its praise.

4.51/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Opened from a bottle into a BBT snifter.

Appearance: Sizable fluffy mocha head, dark brown. Stouts are boring, they all look the same.

Smell: Wow this is complex. Almost smells barrel aged. A serious bourbon note going on here. Lots of roasted coffee and sweet chocolate, some port notes coming up on the back. This is lovely.

Taste: Holy hell this is good. Lots of coffee and chocolate, almost like a pure hot chocolate or mocha flavor. I really do get a bourbon barrel type character from this. Slight oxidation, but no big deal. A slight fruity note, tiny bit smoky. Coffee notes on the finish.

Mouthfeel: For a non barrel aged, non-adjunct stout, this is really thick. Still pretty prominent carb, I'm very very happy with this.

Overall: A lot better than I was expecting. This was amazing. Surprising complexity for a non-BA beer with no adjuncts and five years of age on it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to davacano for this one! I’ve been saving this for a special occasion, but occasions seem to be few and far between. So, I’m celebrating the impending arrival of some more Jester King!

750ml bottle poured into a Jester King Grand Opening snifter. Looks like there are remnants of a bottle date at the top of the bottle but I can’t make it out. I received this bottle in 5/11.

A: About as good as a stout can look. Jet black body with a dark brown one-finger head. After some decent retention it reduces to a small cap in the center with a ring around the edge. Some spotted lacing.

S: Very aromatic. Chocolate and coffee. Faint hops and licorice. A good dose of roasted dark malt.

T: Beautiful roasted malt is featured and interplays with the chocolate and coffee from the nose. Very nicely balanced..no one flavor dominates. Finishes very smooth and dry with slight warming but overall alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Heavy body and medium-low carbonation. Kinda chewy. The balance, mostly-hidden alcohol and smooth finish make this very drinkable for such a full-flavored beer.

O: I loved this. I’m assuming that this was more hop-forward when fresh, but I’m glad that I let this rest for awhile even though it was difficult to do so. It reminded me of some other classic English style stouts I’ve had.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pint at Jester King brewery in Austin. From tap to pint glass. Very fresh.

1"+ head, strong retention. Very dark, just clear enough to get a pinch of light through when held up.

Smells of heavy malts, chocolate, spice, and wood.

Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, malty, spice...smooth deep flavors, very drinkable! Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Overall....Very drinkable indeed, I want another pint!!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured this into a tulip style glass..

First off, I'm happy to see all the good reviews for TX beers from people from other states. I have been keeping track of this brewery since they were just a concrete foundation. Anyways, the beer is black, thick as motor oil, the head is brown and it quickly faded to just a filmy ring. It smells heavily of roasted dark chocolate, coffee grinds, there is a hint of wood and alcohol, I could also describe this beer as 'meaty'. The taste is sweet with dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses and treacle with a nice bitter finish. This beer is smooth as silk and thick as cream, it has low carbonation with a very dry lingering finish. This is an excellent imperial stout, it can hang with the best of em.

Black Metal Imperial Stout from Jester King Brewery