Black Metal Imperial Stout - Jester King Brewery

Black Metal Imperial StoutBlack Metal Imperial Stout

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.40% ABV

This version of Black Metal has been permanently supplanted by the farmhouse version -
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 4018/75396

(Beer added by: redraider2323 on 12-21-2010)
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A-dark as night with tan head around the edges
S-sweet vanilla. Very inviting and I cannot wait to dive in.
T-light bodied with a nice hint of vanilla. A lot lighter and smoother than I expected.
M-light bodied and oh so smooth
O-decent beer but alot lighter bodied than I expected.

brew3crew, Mar 26, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks calbertb2 and tsatem for this one

First off... This is a killer bottle design! Very reminiscent of black ops

Pours a very dark almost black with a nice bit of light brown head. Vry highly carbonated. The bottle says fermented by the sheer force of it's awesome will and it's true. Smells chocolatey with some slight roast. Very heavy on caramel and other really sweet malts. Tastes the same. Like a non barrel aged version of black ops. Vry smooth and highly drinkable. Definitely going back for more.

Urbancaver, Mar 25, 2011

I had this one at the Ginger Man during my latest jaunt to Austin. Served in a standard pint, the beer is jet black with a smallish tan head.

It has an inviting nose of charred malts, brown sugar and coffee.

The taste mirrors the nose. Charred/blackened malts, dark fruit, coffee, a mish mash of molasses and dark brown sugar. The alchol is well hidden.

The mouth is soft with low carbonation.

Maybe a bit too aggressive to session, but it is a great end of the evening beer.

Redrover, Mar 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle shared by Starrdog, thanks Matt. Beer is dark brown / black with a tan head of small bubbles, moderate to low carbonation, looks fine.

Aroma is not quite what I expected, some roast, some coffee but some smoke. More smoke than I thought.

I think I liked it better than the rest of the people drinking it but once I put the though of RIS out of my head and started thinking smoke beer, it was really good. The lead off is a little thin, the midpalate was quite smoky and the finish was medium bodied with a little ashy / coffee finish. Not my favorite RIS / smoked beer but a decent one for sure.

drabmuh, Mar 24, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

First had this on cask a month or so ago, but wanted to wait for the bottle to give it a fair review. Serious difference from cask to bottle, which I'll get into. Plus one for vegetarian... this needs to be the standard.

Pours a deep black with a seriously dark finger of head, may be the darkest head I have seen...

The nose is interesting to say the least... not what I expected. Strong Belgian yeast and dark fruitiness mixed with chocolate and a bit chemical... almost bleach like.

Taste is serious, the most burnt tasting roasted beer I have had... yet has a lot of underlying fruitiness. Cask did not have as much burnt flavor to it, and had more fruitiness. mouthfeel could be a bit thicker, it is on the medium side, but I like milkshake thickness. Alcohol is nowhere to he found on this... really drinkable.
Overall this is a fantastic start to a brewery I am looking forward to. Throw this in some brandy barrels, etc... see what happens.

crusian, Mar 19, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

This was the first beer I've had from Jester King.

A - The appearance is very black with a reddish head. There was about 2 fingers of head and it dissipated quickly.

S - A very burnt roasted aroma. I like it but it could be too much for some. The smell is also full of chocolate and some coffee.

T - Same as the smell. The beer does not seem to change very much throughout drinking it while it warms up, but that's alright because the taste is very good.

M - Creamy thick goodness. Exactly what I want in a RIS. Not thin or watery in anyway.

D - I thought this beer was great. I am not seasoned in the RIS category but this is one that liked a lot. A sipper that you just want to keep on sipping.

alcurtsinger, Mar 16, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Big thanks to starrdogg for opening up a bottle of this. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours black with a good light tan head with pretty good retention and a slight bit of lacing. The nose is quite roasty and a bit smokey off the bat. After the initial whiff, there's some mild chocolate as well, though it keeps coming back to the smokiness. The flavor exhibits the same qualities with a dry roastedness coming through most prominently, followed by some smoke. Nothing too complex, but the components integrate quite well. Body is medium with moderate carbonation. It's a bit too bitter in the finish. Drinks well and is certainly a good beer. Thanks again, Matt.

Thorpe429, Mar 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Black body with a small cap of dark mocha head, nice lacing and foam cap retention.

S - Roasted malts, really roasted, that is. Heavy on the burnt aspect but not too much, making this actually quite delightful. Balanced out with some fresh ground coffee and dark fruits, the aromatics are a good, standard starting point, but can always be improved upon.

T - Bitter chocolate notes blended with some dark roasted coffee is the gist of the flavor profile here. Not very in-depth and complex, but enough to be tasteful and stand on its own. Some alcohol notes are more prevalent as this warms although nothing is ever overbearing. Again, it's good just could be more complex for a big RIS.

M - Silky, creamy, medium to full-bodied...pretty dead on.

D - Not something that I could finish the entire bottle of myself, better off split but good enough to the point where a pint isn't any big challenge.

ShanePB, Mar 09, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a Stone Levitation tulip glass.

Thrilled to see this come in the MJRBC shipment last month. Shoulda been listening to some darkness while drinking it, but whaddya gonna do? It pours a sleek obsidian, as black as the collective heart of Slayer, topped by a finger of dark-ish sandstone foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, molasses, brown sugar, light oak smoke, and toffee. The taste holds notes of oak, roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and a decidedly light sprig of menthol. The back end of the taste is kinda acrid, just a touch too bitter for its own good. Luckily, it doesn't detract too much from the overall experience. The body is a solid medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a a fluid feel. Overall, a pretty solid stout, but it falls short of true greatness. Perhaps a bit more metal next time?

TMoney2591, Mar 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a finger high tan head that slowly dissipated into lacy patterns of bubbles covering the surface and a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderate aromas of dark roasted malts in the nose along with some hints of raisins.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the malts seem burnt and exhibit some notes of smoky flavors. There are hints of malty sweetness in the initial taste; these are followed by flavors of chocolate, coffee and raisins. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels full-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish has warming from the alcohol.
D: The beer is rather drinkable considering its strength because most of the alcohol is masked from the taste.

metter98, Mar 06, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

4 ozish sample at a Central PA BA gathering. Served from a bottle to a snifter.

I was very excited to try anything from Jester King, particularly this beer given the hype it has received. Sadly, sampled alongside Black Tuesday, random Dark Lord and Darkness, Dark Intrigue, Kate, Splinter Black, etc it failed to live up to expectations. Typical stoutish appearance of near opaque black with a quickly fading mocha head. Mildly thin in appearance.

Aroma is burnt and charred more than anything else. Some mild oak, chocolate, nuttiness and citrus hops. Ash and smoke dominate however in the nose; not exactly appealing.

Like the aroma, flavor is burnt, charred and raw. Body is ashy and roasty with less sweetness and malt than the nose. Citric hop bitterness randomly pops in the finish without little balance or integration with the body.

Ugh, I greatly appreciate whoever brought this to the tasting, but this was one of my biggest disappointments of the day. I finished about half of my sample before pouring out the rest; the char and roast was too much to handle. I can't wait to see what those that slagged Splinter Black say about this.

yourefragile, Mar 06, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Unsurprisingly black in color. Forms a thick, crema, mocha colored head. Good retention and some light lacing.

S: The heavy aroma of virtually burnt and blackened malts, chocolate, and an odd scent reminiscent of melting plastic.

T: Much like the aroma, but with a little more complexity. Deep, dark, almost burnt malt, char, baking chocolate, a light smokiness, and a moderate bitterness.

M: Full bodied and dry, with a lower carbonation level.

D: I believe they took the "black" too far in this beer, with a heavy dose of charred malts dominating the aroma and flavor. Luckily I was able to try this beer at a tasting and didn't have the misfortune of having to endure an entire bottle on my own.

Florida9, Mar 03, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

After all the buzz around this new brewery, I approach their beers with cautious enthusiasm. I tried Black Metal on draft at The HighBall two nights ago.

I was pretty underwhelmed by this offering. It had a distinctly stoutish aroma with notes of black malt and alcohol.

Despite the 10.40% ABV, the taste of alcohol was undetectable. I first attributed this to a chalky taste of what first thought would could be excessive use of black malt. I have been assured that black malt makes up 4% of the mash so this is clearly not the case. I now guess there may have been an abundance of yeast in the sample I tasted. Perhaps it was getting toward the bottom of the barrel so to speak.

Personally, I would like to taste a little more booze heat in this style of beer.

I dunno, it was pretty good, I guess. I may give it another shot sometime.

rcfunk, Feb 28, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in a Darkness snifter

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this interesting beer

Interestingly enough this is how we concluded the tasting, with a relative unknown beer. It poured a sexy blackness with a nice tan head to it. The aromatics produced oak smoke, milk chocolate and toasted marshmallow. Honestly, that is the best way that I can describe the smell, but it produced an odd, but good aroma. The taste was a pretty decent rendering of a beer we had just had. There was smoke, chocolate and caramel. Though I must admit, it's a flavor combination that I could get very used to seeing everywhere. The mouthfeel was extraordinarily dry and acidic. The body was bordering on thin. It was really weird that something which was seemingly so pleasant could have that egregious of a mouthfeel. It overall was a good beer to enjoy, and I'm glad that I still have a bottle of my own to do with as I please.

Vdubb86, Feb 27, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Thank you to Jeff at JKCB for the bottle!

Pours a beautiful black - as black as Dead's heart. With a decent head as well. A bit of chocolate and coffee in the nose as well as the taste. And, man, the taste is awesome on this - reminds me of the first time I heard Emperor's ITNE way back when - jaw droppingly good. Medium to thick mouthfeel on this one that would make The Black Legions proud. Finishes with a port like quality. Drinkable, even at the high ABV - dangerously so, just like black metal music. Jester King delivered the goods on this one!

Next review!

ScreamForMe, Feb 22, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Holy cow was this beer amazing. Had it on draft at Major League Grill in Beaumont, TX. Wasn't expecting them to have it, and I even got to try Commercial Suicide from Jester King on draft as well. This beer was dark, very dark and maybe it was because I knew the name, but I can totally see why they called it Black Metal Stout. Tons of oak and hints of wine. Could tell it had some wild yeast in it and this beer was incredible. In the top 5 RIS I have had in my beer loving tenure.

joshuacavett, Feb 10, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Big, BIG thanks to Kegatron for the random act of generosity and sharing this growler with me. I had this brew on my wants list but removed it as I was trying to start to cut back on the amount of trading i've been doing. So thank you a ton Heath for sharing this with me!

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears black in color with a fluffy cap of dark brown head that slowly forms up and even more slowly recedes leaving spotty patches of lace work on the glass. When held to the light, you can barely see through the outer most edges that shows some clarity and lighter brown and ruby hues.

The aroma of this brew is dark and roasty with a burnt smell that comes across with a light amount of nuttiness mingled with coffee. Also included is a bold statement of the fruity alcohol, there is not much hiding the fact that this brew is nearly 11%. Rounding out the back of the aroma is a bit of citrus and fruity hops that grows in intensity as this brew warms.

The taste is bitter with a burnt, roasted malt quality that flirts with almost being smoked but not quite. It is a combined bitterness that seems imparted equally by the level of roast of the malt and also the incorporation of hops. The alcohol is right in-line with what one would expect for an offering of nearly 11%. It is quite fruity tasting at times but it takes a back seat to the roasted quality of the malt. It leaves a lingering taste of lightly musty grain combined with solvent alcohol.

Overall this is a very enjoyable brew. It is medium to full bodied with a moderate to light level of carbonation. For nearly 11% abv it is quite drinkable and very well rounded. I haven't had many offerings of stout brews coming out of Texas but what I have had are very enjoyable and have this distinct nuttiness that is quite unique. I don't know if this is a bi-product of the region or just a coincidence but I found it quite enjoyable.

stakem, Feb 01, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I drank this on-tap at The Draught House Pub in Austin. Damn good beer.

Look: Black espresso with a rich brown crema head that subsides quickly. Black Metal is as opaque as its name.

Smell: A coffee shop a few hours after roasting. Warm coffee beans, chocolate and toasted malt.

Taste: Breakfast or desert? Lush, creamy dark chocolate with French roast coffee spiked with tingly bubbles, finishing in a long oak and coffee bean finish.

My full review is here: http://whatareyoudrinking.net/2011/01/from-mistress-to-wife-jester-king-brewery/

MattMcGinnis, Jan 31, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

64 oz growler into an oversized tulip glass. This one was courtesy of jhimstedt in a recent exchange. Thanks for the trade Jared!

This pours blacker than an oil slick into the glass and is topped with thick creamy finger of milk chocolate colored head. Just a magnificently robust look on this, which retain with a tight ½ finger of froth that absolutely slathers the sides of the glass with spotty lace and brown dirty looking oils that slowly slide down. The aroma smells of burnt leather, smoke, and roasted coffee, which all surrounds a sweet and juicy core of chocolate, toffee, and citric fruit. Leafy hops and spicy alcohol esters trail off and linger in the nostrils.

The taste starts with a thick sweet base of chocolate malts (and some tangier caramel notes as well) which gives this a big creamy sweetness that then gives way to some dark burnt malts. Hops pull up the back as well, with a bitterness that works great with the roasted character that is present and also adds some pithy citric fruit flavors (that get progressively darker feeling the more this warms up) that mixes in and nicely compliments the sweetness of the malts. Burnt finish on this with a LOT of dry lingering spicy alcohol notes. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a thick and creamy feel that's a bit sharp up front but then gets much more chewy and viscous feeling as this works itself around in the mouth. That big ABV gives this a satisfying beefy power to the feel yet alcohol warmth is very minimal and keeps this hugely drinkable for the size. Color me impressed.

This was a darn impressive debut from Jester King, which really swung for the fences (and mostly cleared it) with this monstrous Russian Imperial Stout. While I was looking for a bit more flavor complexity out of this overall, there's no doubt that this beer has the needed attitude to hang with some of the big boys out there. I will seek more of this one out. It's pretty damn good.

Kegatron, Jan 31, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap - well actually out of a pitcher - at the brewery's grand opening celebration.

The beer pours a black color with a dark brown head. This is a great looking beer.

The aroma is heavy on the roasted malt with some chocolate mxied in. Not too complex, but everything mixes well together.

The flavor is more of the same. The chocolate really stands out and the roasted malt compliments it very well. A nice, chocolate-forward imperial stout. The alcohol is well hidden and the beer is very - dangerously - easy to drink.

The mouthfeel is on the thinnish side of medium and is really my only complaint. I wish it was thicker and more viscous. Medium carbonation.

A very nice imperial stout.

Mora2000, Jan 30, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this many times. Recently, I had a 5 oz sampler at the Black Star Co-Op last night and a full pint at the grand opening today. It's nice to see a unique RIS come in to Texas.

Today I saw the recipe for the beer on the conical fermenter and it gave an estimated SRM - 77. Yep, that's metal dark. In practice, this beer is not the eater of souls that Ten FIDY is, but it remains imposing. When you can see through it, the beer gives clear red notes and shows good clarity.

The nose is big and roasty. Some chocolate. A hint of booze. Nicely stouty.. and it will be a great base for a barrel aged beer someday...

The taste is much more nutty than any RIS I've had other than Sam Smith. In contrast to Sam Smith, this maintains the thick, motor oil consistency that I want out of a RIS. This is an earthy stout with clean notes of chocolate, roast, nuts and chalky dryness. It's complex, unique and inviting.

This beer is far too drinkable for being 10+%. I will definitely not ming having another in the near future. Good work Jester King!

UTCengOwl, Jan 30, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this at the jester king grand opening

Color was great, black with a cool orangish brown head that dropped to a sticky ring around the snifter.

Coffee, chocolate, caramel, and roasty aromas abound a little hint of vanilla as well as some licorice notes

The taste is wonderful, bitter coffee flavors up front with the roasted malts in there as well, the sweetness becomes more pronounced after a litte while and the chocolate and licorice flavors come through

Mouth feel isnt heavy but not watery either, it's a full bodied beer but not overbearing on the palate.

Very drinkable, when this comes out in bottles I'll be buying it by the case, the alcohol is nicel hidden by the flavors in the beer and it's not heavy enough to stop with just one bottle. It's every thing I want in a stout

I can't wait to age one!

Fenris244, Jan 30, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Tried on tap at Jester King grand opening, 29 Jan 2011. Served in the Jester King pint glass.

Small brown head. Lightly carbonated. Clear very dark brown in color. Aromas of alcohol, light molasses, dark fruits. Dark dried fruits, some astringency. Chocolate, light coffee. Somewhat drying finish. Medium body. Very easy to drink.

Alcohol is well hidden.

htomsirveaux, Jan 30, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured at the Grand Opening!

Dank black evil. Mocha finger and a half of head.

Rum, bourbon, vanilla , oak, chocolate, sweetness

Ditto to a T on the taste with the aroma!

Vicious, thick, creamy.

Tasty, but this is a sipper in the end. Sweet sipper though!

EgadBananas, Jan 29, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Had on-tap at Valhalla.

A - Very dark black and viscous wit a moderately thin tan head. No light coming through this baby.
S - Sweetness with a hint of roasted coffee and a lot of dark chocolate. Very nice.
T - Lots and lots of cocoa flavors. Rich and deep, but not overbearing. A hint of dark fruit, licorice, and roasted coffee rounds out the flavor.
M - Full-bodied, thick, and syrupy. Bordering on chewy.
D - This is quite the brew, not for the faint of heart. Die-hard stout fans will love it, to be sure.

NefariousR, Jan 22, 2011