Black Metal Farmhouse Imperial Stout - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 11-17-2011

English Imperial Stout meets the Franco-Belgian Farmhouse tradition in this dry, drinkable beer; Pitch black in color with notes of chocolate, roasted and black malts coupled with earthy, peppery and floral farmhouse esters.
2.01/5  rDev -49.5%

This beer was more than I could handle. So much yeast, so much hops, and in a stout, too. Not sure why there was so much grassy, hoppiness in a stout. I know Russian Imperials can have that sometimes, but I can't imagine why anyone would like that. It was out-of-this-world thick with maltiness too. I knew I was probably purchasing the craziest beer I've ever had, but I was still not prepared for this. With four people partaking, we did not finish the bottle. Nobody wanted more than a few ounces of this beast of beer extremes. My throat just felt attacked from all directions. Guess I'll have to build up to this kind of beer more slowly. I'm usually really into strong dark beers like Boulevard's Dark Truth and Real Ale's Anniversary XV, but this was just a whole another level of intensity. One thing I noticed was that there was an oiliness in the mouthfeel that reminded me exactly of farmhouse ciders I used to drink in England. Must be the telltale sign of unfiltered, unpasteurized yeast. (1,001 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is strong bu the flavors are mushy. There's no clear body to this beer. No purity to it. No clear flavors working together to make what I consider a good stout flavor. I looked hard for this beer, particularly on tap. But I was disappointed when I found it. The main feature here is the strength of the beer. (318 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

9.3% ABV confirmed. Batch #14 - June 4th, 2013. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with strange label art and awesome branded brass-coloured pressure cap acquired at Whole Foods HQ and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are somewhat high given its current 89 rating as well as the seemingly unique style.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of rich gold-tan colour. Good creaminess and thickness. Has a smooth consistency and a somewhat soft complexion. I tilt the glass to try to coax out some lacing, but none sticks. Head retention is good for the ABV - about 7 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid black; opaque. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's certainly to style and looks pretty good, but isn't mind-blowingly appealing or inviting. It's not unique or special.

Sm: Vague coffee. Hints of licorice, anise, raisin. Light acridity. Burnt dark sugars. Bitter dark chocolate. Buried roast - nowhere near enough for my tastes. I do find a hint of acidity, but I wouldn't say there's any real funkiness to the aroma - at least not in a brettanomyces yeast sense. The acridity is bothersome. Cocoa dust. Belgian dark malts. It flirts with a Belgian dark ale character in that sense. Marshmallow. Molasses. A kiss of espresso. There's a rather unwelcome grape note, as well as some out-of-place apple. Once you notice that grape, it's hard to push out of your mind, and as the beer warms it becomes more and more artificial, even bordering on medicinal - grape cough syrup comes to mind. Caramel.

No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the aroma. The grape and acridity in particular are off-putting, and I'm not finding the roastiness I love in a good stout nor am I finding the funkiness that is supposed to set this one apart. Moderately strong.

T: I like the cocoa powder and the bitter dark chocolate notes, as well as the marshmallow. But the coffee has all of the acridity of the bottom of an espresso shot and none of the rich roastiness, nuttiness, or cream you'd find in better imperial stouts. Luckily, the grape isn't as present as it is in the aroma, but it still bothers - as do the licorice/anise and molasses notes. More raisin would be nice. It never approaches vinous character, but it does have a vague Belgian dark ale vibe. Lightly burnt sugars and caramel are present, but add little. Dark malts and chocolate malts fill out the body. Boy do I wish there was more roast. There's some green apple here which works surprisingly well, but other than that I'm not finding any evidence of farmhouse yeast. There's really nothing funky about this, but it does have a fairly annoying acidity. I'd attribute the Belgian dark ale dimension to the yeast used here - which I think is just a standard Belgian yeast - but there's nothing funky. Though I find no real noticeable hop profile, it's still a bit too bitter.

The more I drink, the more I notice an artificial fruity character (berries, grape, syrups) on the burp. It grows more medicinal with each sip. With warmth, a near-cloying sweetness begins to eclipse the previously noticeable bitterness.

Frankly, I'm not sure the beer benefits from the use of Belgian yeast. Nor does the execution evoke a "Farmhouse Imperial Stout." The decision to use an atypical yeast ultimately just reduces the cohesion of the flavour profile, yielding a loosely structured non-gestalt build with little to offer the discerning drinker. Decent loose balance. Okay complexity. Lackluster subtlety.

Alcohol presence is decently hidden.

Mf: Very syrupy, to its detriment. Slick and artificial. Smooth and wet. Sticky. Nice thickness and body. Overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Severely flawed; the syrupy texture and sticky consistency make this almost disgusting. Doesn't complement the flavour profile at all. I'd like to see a dryer and more coarse texture to coax out more of the powdery cocoa notes.

Dr: A forgettable brew with an interesting concept that the execution fails to rise to. I remember liking the old Black Metal better. I'm not looking forward to finishing this bottle, and wish I had others to help me. It's easy enough to drink a small quantity, but drinkability plummets after a few ounces. A big disappointment from Jester King. I'm quickly learning that for the most part only their sours are worthwhile. I wouldn't recommend this to friends, nor would I buy it again. Overpriced. With the myriad of better beers in the imperial stout style available at a better price point out there, I can't understand why this beer is profitable. One of the most medicinal imperial stouts I think I've had this year.

High D+ (4,961 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

On cask at Hey Merchant in Houston, TX.

A: Pours a near opaque black color. At first a bubbly tan head rises, but recedes to a ring in seconds. No lace is left.
S: Up front is bitter chocolate. That fades in a second to nothing. Then out of nowhere, the sourness kicks in. Sour peaches linger for a minute.
T: Follows the nose with a big milk chocolate flavor up front at first. That vanishes in a second, leaving the lingering sour fruity flavors. Mostly peaches.
M/D: A Medium to full body with light carbonation. To thin and watery for my liking. Not hard to sip on, but one is enough.

Interesting, but most sour/stout combinations just don't mesh right for me. This is no different, and fairly simplistic. Just chocolate that fades, then sourness that fades. Not something I am going to seek out again. (808 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Poured like liquid black metal, only a little thinner with a good looking tan cap, bubbles and light lacing

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate and a little bit of booze

T: Immediately felt it was a bit thin, dry and hot with some bitter chocolate and coffee there for support. Not impressed by the lack of "farmhouse" funk here and really not impressed by the metallic notes I received

M: Very dry, thin, a little warm, perhaps a tad bit overcarbonated

O: Pretty average. Was looking for a little more farmhouse here (520 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Straight black with a bubbly dark tan head. Drops to a small cap and collar. Slightly above average carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Cocoa with some solid roasted malts. Roasty sweet with some.hints of char and smoke. Dark chocolate. Slight sweetness. Some earthy and.grassy hops. Some slight spicy esters. Bitter chocolate. Crazy roasted. Some sweeter caramel malt as it warms. Milk chocolate.

Taste: So much roasted malt. Bitter cocoa and baker's chocolate with a very slight chocolate sweetness. Pushes a hint of burnt sweetness and smoke. Yeast adds some earthy elements with some spicy esters. Bitter from cocoa, not hops. Some leafy earthy notes. Relatively mild and balanced. Some backing dark fruit as it warms. So much chocolate malt and roast. Almost milky sweet at times.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body for the style. Oddly crisp and clean. Carbonation runs a bit high, but can easily be.attributed to the yeast and bottle conditioning. Clean.

Overall: Straight up fusion metal.

Exactly what it says it is, a blend of farmhouse ingenuity with a standard imperial stout. Not my favorite, but solid. Reasonably sure I tried the non farmhouse couple years ago at a tasting. This was not the delight I remember. (1,240 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours your typical stout black but the head develops quite quickly from the carbonation

The aroma is slightly acidic and sweet from the farmhouse yeast. Not a lot of roasted aroma or rich stout smells

The flavor is alright but the carbonation takes away a little from the flavor and fills the palate with foam. There is a nice roasted flavor on the back end but pretty dull throughout

Lighter body for a stout and a gratuitous amount of carbonation. The palate is left dry and the aftertaste doesn't linger around too much

Honestly, this tastes extremely similar to a home-brewed chocolate stout I once made and I accidentally over-carbonated it. It's a good beer but nothing working seeking IMO. (700 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle shared by Jason, 750ml into a tulip.

Black with a massive brown head - persistent retention and OK lacing. Nose of dark chocolate, farmhousey yeast, metallic, brown sugar and caramel. Taste of dark chocolate, heavy roast, coffee grains, light sourness and a hint metallic again. Some tar. Mouthfeel is too light for my liking in the style, and carbonation is almost fizzy. Interesting roast character but just a weird concoction overall. (445 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.3%

The beer pours black in color with a rather large tan head. A lot of roasted malt with a bit of metal and acidity to it. Strong coffee aromas with a bit of licorice and burnt sugar. The flavor is heavy on the coffee and roast with the same metallic notes that were present on the aroma. The regular version is significantly better. (331 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 8/30/13

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer, very #excite, get #hype

Appearance: Pours a rich black, with some brown around the edges - big, fluffy, creamy head to start - huge head fades quickly to a minimal cap - leaves a few streaks of lacing

Smell: Chocolate malts and Jester King's trademark yeast - dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, maybe a hint of semisweet chocolate - some grainy sweetness - roasty and burnt - some hints of dark fruit - yeasty, in a remarkably Jester King farmhouse way, and it doesn't quite blend with the other aromas, in my humble opinion

Taste: Chocolate, burnt, and Belgian - dark chocolate and baker's chocolate, minimal sweetness - roasty and burnt, with some charcoal - some nuts and black licorice - yeasty, in a farmhouse way, which seems to add earthy and tart notes - some dark fruit and acidity - above average burnt bitterness

Mouthfeel: Medium body, doesn't quite feel imperial, nice carbonation, kind of oily, very dry finish

Overall: Blast beats may or may not be appropriate for the farm life

Back in 2011 I'm pretty sure I had the old (non - farmhouse) version of this, because I have very fond memories. This version will not produce memories that are as fond. Not a bad beer by any standards, but it's far from a great RIS. It's also the only beer I've ever had from Jester King that I didn't find remarkable in some way. (1,396 characters)

Jester King Farmhouse Black Metal

A- pour produces a massive 3 finger dark mocha colored head resting on a black body. Head recedes to 1/2 finger and stays around. 4

S- dark chocolte, cocoa powder, espresso, some slightly funky yeast, light hop presence. 3.5

T- a little better than the nose. The balance of the farmhouse yeast to the stronger imperial stout flavors is done quite well. Chocolate, some espresso, light hop presence, cream, slightly smokey, and farmhouse yeast. 3.5

N- slightly light in the body for such a beer. The carbonation is good. 3.5

O- this one must be allowed to warm up. A good sipper that is quite enjoyable but nothing exceptional. 4

B    (680 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to Frank (fbc24) for bringing this to the Nov. '12 Philly burbs bottle share.

Love the bottle art, first off. Black as a heathen Nordic soul, with a moderate tan head that sank to a ringlet, leaving spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of dark malts, roast, unsweetened chocolate, ash from a burnt church. Taste reflected the nose, dark roasty malts with a touch of char, chocolate, slightly bitter, a subtle Belgian yeast character that never really came through significantly. Mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side for a stout, but maybe not for a "farmhouse stout," about medium-bodied. Decent, but not as great as the label had me believe. (647 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

So the cool label caught my eye. After reading the description I figured it sounded as if it wasn't all for show an this beer could actually be good.

Pours out nice and dark. Very much your typical Russian stout characteristic. An aggressive head mocha colored head formed with on initial pour. The head subsided fairly quick leaving just that little layer of cream patch to cover the surface. Visually this thing is dark like I said earlier. No light is penetrating this thing which is always a good sign. The beer does not have any noteworthy aromatic properties. I can smell a subtle alcohol note that is dominated by heavy malt. The flavor is very good. There is a nice smoke and a caramel like flavor. The beer comes in smooth without much hitting the senses. It is when you swallow that this beer comes alive leaving you with a nice lingering bitter. Mouthfeel is heavy with very little carbonation.

Overall this is a nice beer. I had my doubts with the over the top label. I'm glad it worked out that its an enjoyable beer that stays true to the Russian Imperial Stout. (1,080 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a large snifter.

A: Pours pretty much pitch black with an enormous 3finger head. The head just lasts with tons fo lacing as well.

S: Smells of dark malts and some chocolate. A tiny bit of funk on the nose.

T: Lots of dark chocolate and maltyness.

M: Full body, lots of carbonation. Thin but creamy.

O: Not sure what to make of this one. I applaud jester king for their take on a RIS. I feel it has makings of it's own RIS, but it's not quite there yet. Worth trying one. (508 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass.

A-Pours as black as a thousand midnights with a 3/4 inch brown head that retains a long while before gradually descending to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing slides slowly down the glass.

S- Very glassy aroma with some strong underlying chocolate tones and just a bit of funk.

T- A bright tangy flavor comes on at first before a heavy dark roasted malt presence washes over bringing notes of milk chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The flavors clash though and bring about an awkward profile.

M- My biggest problem with "dark saisons" is the chalky and endlessly dry mouthfeel. The high carbonation just does not go well with the highly viscous nature of a stout, porter, black ale, what-have-you. I definitely prefer my farmhouse ales to have a light body.

O- While I admire them for their risk-taking approach to brewing and their labels' sick artwork, the folks at Jester King just have not done it for me yet. An example of when a brewery is just a bit too extreme. (1,082 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: A very Belgian-looking pour, with a huge tan foamy head that caps the black liquid; the head fades quicker than expected, only leaving a clump or two of lace behind

Smell: Chocolate, charcoal and a tart, yeasty character

Taste: Chocolate, charcoal and subtle tartness that builds a bit, in the middle, along with a hint of fruit; a touch of spicy yeast, after the swallow, that cuts through the stout flavors and leaves a Belgian impression

Mouthfeel: Way too foamy and over-carbonated; medium bodied, underneath

Overall: Such a disappointment when compared to the original version, the choice of the farmhouse yeast strain really doesn't work very well with this base beer - the only disappointing beer I have had from Jester King, however (756 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pitch black pour with a mocha head, big big head with good retention but not much lacing.

Smells very much like a farmhouse ale with that barnyard yeasty aroma and pale malts, a little bit of roasty character, and some coffee.

Taste is sweet with grape pulp, some bitterness and coffee, a tiny bit of funk, tastes very much like it is described, as a a farmhouse style RIS.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall an interesting take on RIS, and well done for the style, worth a try for sure. (532 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks antlerwrestler19! Poured from 750 to tulip glass:

Pours a dark, dark coffee black with little clarity. The medium brown head swells to fill more than half the glass. Great lacing.

Deep chocolate notes, various cocoa, some mocha bits, pretty damn smooth. Nothing to write home about but it definitely holds its own.

Dense dark chocolate character. Vanilla bean, hard water presence, some more bitter dark chocolate.

The feel is a bit aggressive. Everything seems in order but the sugar is slightly overpowering. Otherwise it's a home run.

Thanks Kyle! (564 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Presentation: Bomber bottle split with a friend. Served just below cellar temperature over the course of about half an hour. Poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours alomst all head on the first couple pours. Dark brown, but creamy lacing, with strong retention. When it finally settles, there is a nice full head and a midnight black body.

Aroma: Lots of smoky ash, char, and really dark chocolate. The roasted components are definitely in full force. After settling for a bit, a touch of cherry is noticable.

Taste: First impression is definitely strong char without much sweetness. As it warm, some dark chocolate becomes more prevelant and the yeast notes start to take over. Cherry sweetness and tartness mixed with the strong char and chocolate. Interesting and drinkable at this point.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and very creamy.

Overall, a really interesting stout with a really strong char note upfront. Once the char settles, the yeast provides some nice notes as well. The stout qualities are far greater than the farmhouse notes. Probably not going to go out of my way to try again. (1,114 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%

This is an interesting one... Especially the farmhouse/stout combination. I was expecting this brew to be heavy as hell since it is called metal and all. But upo pouring it, it did come out very brown, almost black with a tan head. It has a mild spicy smell about it. The mild spicy smell does follow in taste, slightly. It definitely has farmhouse characteristics with a light stouty taste behind it. It's hard to describe, it's worth a drink so give it a try! (461 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%

A: poured a dark as night black in color with a thin brown head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: some chocolate notes were noticeable on the first whiff alongside coffee roastiness, a tad of oaky barrel, smoke, and slight booze.

T: the roasty smokiness was more apparent on the palate alongside chocolate oaky barrel accents a touch of berries and a mild booze flavor.

M: the brew was medium in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, smokey, roasty, slight oaky, and mild dry finish.

O: it was a decent stout with some strange qualities but was pretty interesting and tasty. (616 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Jester King’s
Farmhouse Black Metal Imperial Stout
Poured in JK tulip glass
A: Pours pitch black with dark brown fluffy head that slowly dissipates. Minimal lacing.
S: Roasty, coffee-like, somewhat sourish aroma.
T: Not nearly as strongly stout as it appeared to be; has a small sour tinge in the forefront, middle is roasty stouty, finish has an alcohol bite and a zing to it.
M: Light for an imperial stout. Smooth, velvety.
D: Very drinkable for an imperial stout. Goes down easily and the alcohol is not super-apparent. Very nice entry into the imperial stout canon. (573 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

750 ml bottle poured into brandy snifter. A sweet passion fruit smell with some grassy spiciness and a mild cheesy aroma start this one off, but a little longer reveals quite a bit of complexity occurring in this. Some other subtle notes that poke through are raisin, cereal, mild milk chocolate, woody/piney, and a bit of alcohol every now and again. A brown espresso-like head starts out very abundant, but recedes to a light layer atop a dark, brown-red beer that’s not quite opaque, but close. Small bubble cascade down the side of the glass rather than lace. Initial, generous, tart cherry and melon sweetness tastes comes through with some piney spice. The pine spice turns somewhat bitter and is then accompanied by moderate bitter roasted coffee and chocolate flavors. There’s a also a very mellow sour dairy (spoiled milk) taste of the yeast in the background. The last taste as the drink is swallowed is a cola-like sweetness. There’s an above-average level of carbonation for an Imperial Stout (although nothing overwhelming) but it keeps the beer relatively thin (again for an Imp Stout). The mouth is coated with a combination of a smokey/ashy chocolate/coffee bittering, along with some pine spice, which disappears fairly early, and a very soft, mild brie-esque flavor replaces it. The cheese flavor, when it appears, matches the smokey chocolate mouth coating stride-for-stride for awhile - probably pairs really nicely with mild soft cheese - before a milky, creamy coating begins to wash and mellow out the smokiness. Unique complexity with nothing that’s over-powering or overwhelming. (1,612 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours an opaque black with a thick, creamy tan head.

S: Pleasant aromas of caramel, coffee, roasted grain, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, minerals, raisins, plums, and black cherries are underscored by a subtle, oaky, lactic funk.

T: Notes of oak, cedar, plums, black cherry, black currant, rum raisins, figs, roasted grain, coffee, vanilla bean, caramel, dark chocolate, and minerals fill the mouth. Lactic character from the yeast is very subtle. The finish is dry and intense with oak, roasted grain, chocolate, dark fruit, and mellow alcohol.

M; Relatively full-bodied, dry, and chalky. Carbonation is crisp and intense. Alcohol presence is mellow and restrained. This is very easy to drink compared to many other examples of the style.

O: A really interesting imperial stout. The funky notes are minimal, but work in the context of this beer. Before trying this, I had heard a number of horror stories about the consistency of Jester King's output, with this beer often singled out as one of the most hit or miss. Either those stories are exaggerated or I happened to get a good bottle because, fortunately, this turned out to be a very nice ale. I would definitely try this one again. (1,196 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Not quite black, but very very dark brown with a huge tan head that stays up for a while demonstrating good retention. Looks pretty good overall.

S - Roasted malts in the forefront, some dark chocolate and coffee, light licorice and a little boozy. Smells pretty good. Perhaps a little bit of dark fruit in the nose as well.

T - LOADS of roasted malts and chocolate that come up somewhat bitter and even a little funky (not unpleasant though). Slight floral quality to it as well as black licorice, some hops in here (just noticeable), a little creamy and sweet as well, with earthy overtones. Lightly smokey.

M - Medium-full body, not much carbonation, a nice silky quality to it as well as a dry finish, and some slight alcohol warmth.

D - Entirely drinkable and I can take down the 750 without it ever becoming cloying.

O - This is a good imperial stout overall, probably not something I would rush out and buy again but if it was ever offered to me I would drink it gladly. (986 characters)

Black Metal Farmhouse Imperial Stout from Jester King Brewery