Le Petit Prince Farmhouse Table Beer - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  2.90% ABV

A clear and simple expression of the delicate interplay between noble hops and farmhouse yeast. Throughout Northern Europe, light-bodied, well-hopped, low alcohol table beers were often the beverage of choice with all meals at times and in places where the water wasn’t always safe to drink.

(Beer added by: MEsquandoles on 12-03-2011)

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Sampled April 2012
A vigorous pour into my small wine goblet produces an almost three-finger thick, pale, white colored head; and despite its lightness, this leaves some thin, layered lacing on the sides of my glass. The beer is a pale amber / gold hue that shows a clear’ish, pale amber color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of grassy and cracker like grain, backed by a green-ripe fruity character, a touch of herbal notes, perhaps a hint of clean lemon-leaning citrus zest character. The citrus zest hoppy character gets more prominent the more I dig into the aroma, it is almost the dominant note, but it is well balanced by the pale malt / grain character, as well as by a spicy, earthy, slightly musty, fermentation character that nicely perfumes the aroma.

Dry, effervescent, bitting in its bitter / carbonic acid and grassy malt character, but exceedingly characterful for a beer of such low alcohol. Lemon zest notes become a bit more expressive in the second and subsequent sips and there is a firm, biting bitterness that is accentuated by a dried hay like grain / hop character. Earthy spice notes evoke flavors of green coriander, woody straw, and a definite musty, damp wood and cellar like note; these are predominantly phenolic in character, though clearly restrained. There is a really nice hop character to this beer, lots of smooth herbal notes joint the lemon zest notes and there is also a spiciness that is brought out by the fermentation character and the carbonation. The carbonation on this beer is really light for something I would describe as a Saison (but is well carbonated for a standard ale), but it is so light bodied that it still manages to seem quite effervescent and lively. This is very light bodied, but somehow doesn’t seem overly thin or watery; actually given the original gravity, this actually finishes fairly high (probably near 1.004) and does have a noticeable malty chewiness to it, but only if you really consider the strength.

Ridiculously expensive for a beer for a beer of this strength ($9/750ml), having said that, I am quite happy to have paid for this beer, and if these weren’t so ridiculously easy for me to brew I would gladly by it again. Incredibly forward thinking, but yet ancient in concept; this is the first / furthest-reaching, commercial attempt at a full flavored, refreshing, really low alcohol beer. It is something I am particularly fond of in my own brewing practices (though don’t brew consistently enough), and it is nice to find a commercial example / attempt. Having said all this, the closest beer I can think of is Dupont’s Avril, which I enjoy a bit more when it is fresh, but damn, this is quite good too. I could drink a whole lot of this beer and be quite happy for a whole day, or perhaps even a week before I needed something new. I am going to hazard a guess that, for my particular idiosyncrasies, this is going to be the best beer I will ever have from Jester King (it is certainly a great first experience with this brewery & I am happy that I have 5 more of these lined up).

4.11/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to hoppypocket for sending us this brew in another great trade.

A: Pours a very pale hay colour with a few fingers of white head leaving plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Streams of champagne like bubbles continuously stream to the top.

S: Fresh and grainy wet hay with pale rock sugar malts. Background notes of barnyard funkiness, lemon peel and yeasty champagne. Barnyard notes become more forward as it warms.

T: Dry and chalky minerals, white grapes, yeasty bread with background of lemon peel, funkiness and white pepper.

M: Dry and chalky, similar to champagne. Medium to high carbonation. Clean and refreshing.

O: Clean, refreshing and dry, this beer shows you can create a perfect low alcohol beer without sacrificing flavour. Definitely recommend and would love to get another bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Batch #9/10. March 2013. 2.9% ABV confirmed per the label. FG: 1.002. IBU: 30. Brewed with noble hops. Refrigerated since I purchased it last week at me local HEB Grocery. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with bizarre label art and branded pressure cap served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery's reputation as well as the premise; I'd like to see more table beers in the world. Reviewed as a farmhouse ale because it identifies as a "farmhouse table beer" on the label.

I really do love the creative art on the actual cap; there's a lot of attention to detail there and it's fun.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a five finger wide head of white colour. It's a bit on the thin side. Not much creaminess. Not frothy at all. Complexion is soft but weak. Some scattered soapy lacing sticks to the sides of the stange as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 6 minutes, but frankly that's not too difficult to accomplish at a paltry 2.9% ABV.

Body colour is a clear pale copper meets straw yellow. Surprisingly clear, actually, as though filtered - strange for a farmhouse ale. Actually looks like a pilsner. No yeast particles are visible.

I'm a bit taken aback by the clarity given the style, but it looks pretty standard otherwise. There's nothing unique or special about it, but I don't notice any overt flaws.

Sm: Clean barley, clean straw, grains, cereals, crisp saaz hops, spring water, and an edge of funky brettanomyces yeast (present predominantly on the back end). Has a light biscuity character as well. I also get pilsner malts, some light crackery malts, and a kiss of white pepper. No alcohol is detectable.

A pleasant clean aroma of mild strength with a decent amount going on. I'm excited to try it, but I'm worried it may be watery. It certainly doesn't have the complexity and subtlety featured in the aromas of the best beers in the style.

T/Mf: Crackery malts, cereals, grains, pilsner malt, and a bit of munich malt form the lighthearted, approachable foundation. It's certainly refreshing, if a bit understated. The refreshing character comes at the expense of presence on the palate; it lacks a true full body and feels a bit closed off. I get subtle apples notes, a bit of white pepper, clove/allspice (from the yeast), and a light funkiness from the brettanomyces in the late third act and on the finish. Cilantro. A hint of lemongrass. Straw. Some very light floral notes - honeysuckle, perhaps. A bit of clove honey.

Effervescent, crisp, and clean. Smooth and spritzy, with a good dryness/wetness balance - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, yet wet enough to stay refreshing. Good execution on that front. A bit overcarbonated; maybe too many residual sugars were present when bottle re-fermentation began. I'd guess high quality low hardness water was used; the crisp clean feel coupled with the lightly minerally taste is evidence. Luckily, it never feels watery. But it does seem filtered.

The crackery malts coupled with the white pepper are a highlight for me.

As far as hops go, I'd guess Saaz blind. I don't know that I'd say "Noble" broadly. Shows how unrefined my crappy palate. At least no one reads these...

Not oily, harsh, gushed, or boozy - but if I tried it blind I'd probably guess it was about 6-7%.

It's a nicely balanced beer, if a simple one. You won't find much in the way of complexity here - after all, it's a 2.9% table beer - but there's some impressive subtlety. Depth of flavour is below average for the farmhouse style, but very forgivable given they're going for the tafelbier approach. Flavour intensity is also below average. Flavour duration is average.

Dr: Here's where the beer really succeeds. This is a fairly flavourful farmhouse ale you could down all day. It'd be wonderful to pair with lunch (especially on a workday) and would work wonders alongside food. In fact, this may be the perfect universal food-pairing - it's right up there with Estrella Damm. I just wish the price point wasn't so unreasonable compared to the quality. In any case, it's as sessionable as any beer out there, and one could down it by the pitcher if one wished. I'll be recommending this to friends only in specific food-pairing situations. I imagine I'll be getting it again, but not regularly. If the price came down, it'd easily be a fridge mainstay. I like what Jester King went for here. This would be an excellent beer to maybe lure white wine drinkers or non-beer drinkers towards craft beer.

That said, if we're reviewing to style, it has trouble holding a candle to the best saisons/farmhouse ales out there.

High B-

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudly golden color. Solid white head that does not stick for long. Leaves a good amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Light, crisp and piney.

T: Very refreshing. Not too strong of a flavor, but the delicate hints of yeast and hops provide a beer that would be perfect for a hot sweaty day.

F: High level of carbonation, light bodied.

O: For a table beer this is great. Nothing special, but a solid beer that is highly drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev +9.3%

poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head. Head drops to a thin cap. Spotted lacing. A tuck load of sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Probably should not have poured the last few ounces of the beer from the bottle to keep the yeast in the bottle.

Smell: Wheat malts. Light hops that are herbal, earthy, and woody. Light yeast notes. Touch of lemon tartness.

Taste: Opens up with a slight lemon tartness. straw and cracker malts. Light hops that are mildly bitter. Hops notes are floral, earthy, and maybe some tropical fruits. All the flavors are balanced nicely nothing over powers the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. Slightly dry. Super drinkable and sturdy paired with food. Had some brats with this beer and the beer holds its flavor very well.

Overall: Nice table beer by Jester King. Its my first beer that I have drank from this brewery and it was enjoyable beer when its drank right out of the fridge and cold. Drink this beer cold at the recommended serving temperature of 50-55 farenhiet. Trust me dont let this beer warm up to much. As it warms the flavors become very yeasty and farily "plasticy" funky in a bad way; those flavors are not very enjoyable to me.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had this many times from the bottle, and this is a favorite of mine. First time having it on cask at the brewery.

Pours out a turbid golden color. Kind of like orange juice. I usually try to decant my beers carefully, but somehow the cloudiness in this format did the trick for him. The head brewer had mentioned that this batch had some wild yeast strains or something or other in it, and it definitely comes through in the nose with a big funk. Pale crackery malts and light noble hops round out. Flavor is light, refreshing, dry, and complex in its use of the house yeast and wild yeasts. Mouthfeel on cask is a bit undercarbed for me. I much prefer the mouthfeel from the bottle. I love this beer. I could drink it all day everyday.

Le Petit Prince Farmhouse Table Beer from Jester King Brewery