Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale - Jester King Brewery

Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong AleThrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.30% ABV

A hop forward beer with dank, resinous hop flavor and aroma, balanced by lightly kilned malt flavors, farmhouse yeast esters and a bit of warming alcohol. Thrash Metal Farmhouse Strong Ale is an homage to thrash metal music, which often fuels us during our daily chores at Jester King.

(Beer added by: videofrog on 01-09-2012)

BKotch, Oct 20, 2014

trxxpaxxs, Oct 06, 2014

JGilbrech, Oct 11, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Cellar Temp->Hennepin Glass
A ~ No eruption! The new Jester King is lookin' good. I'm used to erupting bottles, losing a full quarter of ale. Lacing is to style as is carbonation--fine & smooth. Pours a very nice Orange/Amber.

S ~ Strong Citrus & Resin notes w/ a melange of peaches, pears, & yellow apples. Slight rock candy. Great nose.

T ~ Citrus follows through w/ a big backbone of cane sugar & pale malts. Mid palette is pears, dried fruit, & resins. Finish is all heat with assorted farmhouse aromas.
Notes of honey, mint, & melon arise upon warming. The overall flavor of this beer is overall better after warming up to room temperature.

M ~ Heat is pretty prevalent. At first it is phenolic to a fault, but as it WARMS the hop flavors come out a lot more & meld with the large doses of sugar & pale malt.

D ~ I understand that JK was not going for a specific style here, but this is somewhere between a Belgian IPA & a Biere de Garde. I did not rate it as a BSPA, because it really is not one.
Let it warm!!! I had it at cellar temp, & I thought it was ho hum, but as it WARMED, the hop flavors & farmhouse characteristic arose.

chocosushi, Mar 17, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a murky honey orange with a 1 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, spices, yeast, and some herbal hop aromas. Taste is of citrus zest and alcohol up front with malty finish. There is a mild level of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but there is something in the taste that I can't put my finger on that is a bit odd.

UCLABrewN84, May 05, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from Champagne bottle into tulip:

A: You can tell immediately that this is an unfiltered, funky brew. Pours a murky golden orange with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smells of a saison with a hop punch. Jester King's dedication to farmhouse ales is definitely evident in this one. Funky, citrus like aroma with the farmhouse yeast very evident in the nose.

T: A continuation of the smell. Definitely get the saison, belgian yeast up front but then bitter, I'm assuming it's the hops, hits your tongue and wipes the palate clean. Finishes with a citrus, funk note that is familiar to saisons I've had in the past. The hops might be working a little too hard for me in this one. The bitter, astringent flavor I get in the middle is a little bit of a bummer but doesn't ruin this brew for me, just wish they would have controlled that aspect a little better. It definitely takes away from the experience for me.

M: The mouthfeel isn't bad but not great either. A little thin for my tastes and the beer doesn't linger on the palate as much as I would like. It's missing that "thin honey" texture that I enjoy in my saisons and belgian brews. Again not bad just could have been done better for my tastes.

O: Jester King is a brewery I can respect for sticking to what they love...farmhouse brews. This strong saison was decent but a few of the notes are a little off for my taste buds. There is a bitterness that wore on me as I worked my way through the bottle. The hop presence was a little much for me in this style of beer. Jester King is relatively new in the brewing world and Thrash Metal is a solid effort for their farmhouse lineup. I have a couple more bottles and I will crack them in the future to see if age adds some sweetness and mellows the bitterness. All in all an above average effort from Jester King and I am excited to try their future releases.

lokieman, Feb 09, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jester King
Thrash Metal
750ml, Winter 2012
Deschutes tulip

A: Huge hiss upon opening.  Hazy light orange color.  Three fingers of slightly off white fluffy, rocky head.  Tons of carbonation, tiny bubbles streaming off the bottom of the glass.  Tons!  Seems like there will be some lacing here, but the head is hiding it. *** I had a bottle stopper in the bottle, and due to the crazy carb it popped out on the table.

S: I get those Euro, East Kent Goldings, hops.  Light, citrusy and grassy.  Also, getting those farmhouse like esters.  Maybe some light white grape notes.  Sort of vinous.

T: Tips of the tongue, I get those nice crisp citrus like hop varieties.  It's a very pronounced flavor profile.  I the middle of the mouth you get some of the traditional Saison notes: spicy peppery notes, light barnyard funk, etc.  It's not as good as others in the style.  Maybe a touch too boozy, but the carbonation helps to clear the palate and hide that a little bit.  This is a good thing.

M: Medium bodied.  Lots of prickly carbonation.  Helps clear the palate and thin it.

O: Jester King has better offerings, that is for sure.

inlimbo77, Jul 08, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright orange color with fine carbonation and a strong white head. Good retention with gobs of lacing.

Banana and citrusy esters with a touch of spice on the nose. Juicy orange flavor with a fair amount of sweetness and a brief mildly bitter finish. A bit of herbal hops and a warm alcohol presence attract more attention as the glass wears on.

CliffBrake, Apr 02, 2012