Funk Metal Sour Barrel-Aged Stout - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 04-20-2012

Shut up and listen. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally conditioned.

Previously known as Barrel Aged Sour Black Metal Imperial Stout.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.96/5  rDev -5%

Had this sitting in my fridge for a while time to crack it as I love the brewery,label and style and it pours a black as night hue with no moon out its black with a two finger chocolate creamy head and clingy attractive lacing everywhere,the smell is Brett,red wine,oak,bourbon with cola and sour snake lollies,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and has tastes of red wine,sweet bourbon,funky Brett,the slightest touch of dark chocolate,a nice hit of oak mid taste and finished off with a sour funkiness and overall it's amazing how much Brett and barrel ageing can change and overtake a brew but luckily enough I love my sours and reminds me of some Flemish red ales or brown bruins and yeah like most of their range I'd revisit it cheers.

Enjoyed from a jester king snifter. bottle was explosive and a gusher shortly after open. beer poured deep black with massive fizzy tan head that fizzed away relatively quick. smell is sour berries. Taste is nice tart berry. Soft but subtle prickle in the mouth. Really nice sour. A bit fizzy, but fairly enjoyable. Not overly sour. Kind of like the purple sweet tart. Cheers

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks willandperry!

Appearance. Pours a dark brown, almost black with two fingers of thick tan head that has great retention.

Smell. Tart berries and cocoa powder, funky old barrel wood, a bit of coffee, and a very slight smokiness.

Taste. Tart, sour berries and cocoa, some barrel wood and dark roasty malts with lingering dry cocoa and a little coffee in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, low amount of soft and smooth carbonation.

Overall. Very nice stuff. For some reason, a sour stout never sounds appealing but this is a fine beer. Great flavours that work well together.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2013!

Pours out a thinner black, brown and ruby red color, not dissimilar to Tart of Darkness, but dare I say even more impressive looking than one of my favorite beers (I should warn you, there will probably be at least one more ToD reference in this review)?

Good lactic sourness it seemed in the aroma. Like, all sour.

Taste, pungent sourness, gritty malt sticks to the teeth with the brett possibly that is part of this, I would think so. Goes with the dark fruit vibe, but instead of tiresome things like figs, prunes, raisins etc. . . you get black cherry, blackberry, sweet plum. grape. After all of that, you can discern some roasted malt aspect, but its in the background, as it should be a little bit with this mash up.

Mouthfeel remains sour throughout, you can start to think they flash burned the barrel, the smallest smoke contingent gets in there. If I had a bunch of these, this would be a good sour to take camping I'm thinking.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Opens with a slow gush over. Thanks gtermi!

A - Pours a nice black body with two fingers of khaki foam. Initially the foam sits around for a while but as I drink it down it loses its touch as the foam fizzles away into some thin edging. Decent lacing and some random bouts of absurd retention. The beer has some sediment that is visible around the edges while in the light. The bottle also had a ton of tan sludge along the walls, this is definitely bottle conditioned!

S - Chocolate and coffee falling into some light lactic acid and cherries. Tamer notes of vanilla, oak, tobacco and ash. Smell is great but quite deceiving of the sour bomb that awaits.

T - Sour to the extreme. Faint notes of dark chocolate and coffee get absolutely engulfed by sour cherries and lactic acid. Bright and tart, this is closer to a Flanders Bruin than a stout. The finish is of smokey roasted malts. Smooth oak lingers after the sour burn fades away. This reminds me of some infected stouts that I have had in the past, only this is well rounded and perfected. Medium bodied and creamy mouth feel, does have that "infected" feel to it.

O - This was certainly different. Loads of sour cherries and lactic acid dumped on top of an innocent stout. The barrel aging is subtle but the bacteria really steals the show here. I feel a charred heartburn coming on but it was damn worth it.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another thanks to Apostlebrewing, shared with rudzud and others.

Light fizzy dark head, some legs, pitch black.

Nose super dark malts, powdered chocolate, nice sour almost lambic like sour wild, great liquid bourbon aroma, toasty dusty oak,

Taste great dark stout, sour flavours again light wild lambic like, wild slight funky sour, powdered cocoa, light vanilla toasty barrel. Finish is dry but sticky sweet, nice sour lacto like creamy sour, little flemmy and slightly acidic, hint of dark sour malt.

Mouth is med to fuller bod, decent carb, sticky flemmy feel.

Overall great beer.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Big khaki head. Nice lacing. Black body. Good surface foam.

Smell - Lots of roast. One dimensional roast with a little bit of acidity.

Taste - Some dark fruit presence. Dark malts. Roasty. Builds to a sour finish. Clean sourness, but it doesn't have a lot going on.

Mouthfeel - Slightly sour. Medium body. Well carbonated.

Overall - Decent for a sour stout. Not a great deal can be done with a sour stout, I think.

A- Black as black can be with a dark tan head. Minimal head but plenty of lacing.

S- A wonderful mixture of roasted malt and sour grapes. There is some of the characteristic roasted coffee and chocolate aroma you get with a traditional stout but the sour quality takes over quickly.

T- Wow. I'm sitting here sipping on my glass and it's hard to steal myself away long enough to give a proper review. The tastes follows the nose. Tartness right up front. Next you get just a slight roasted quality you expect from a stout but this quickly gives way to tart grapes/cherries. The aftertaste brings back the roasted malts with a slight sour lingering. Fantastic.

M- Mouthfeel like you would expect from a sour. Tart starts up front immediately and continues all the way through. Bitter finish that reminds you this is still a stout.

I can't do this brew justice with just my meager description. I wasn't really a sour beer lover until I visited Jester King but they have won me over. Somehow they have managed to bring together two completely different types of beer and have done it superbly well. The price and availability (I was even told by employees they aren't making this brew anymore!) keeps this from being something I can try regularly but if you see this on the shelves get as many bottles as you can.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temperature.

L – Black color with a 1.5-finger frothy, rocky, brown head. Really nice retention and some awesome sheets of lacing. Pours thick and viscous like motor oil. Looks fantastic for an imperial stout.

S – This is where it gets interesting. It has some of the usual stout aromas of chocolate, dark fruits, and roasted malt but it also has a distinct aroma consisting of sour cherries and grapes. The smell is very pleasant as the tart aromas pair very well with the dark fruits and chocolate.

T – It starts off sour with cherries, grapes, and apples. As the tartness fades, the usual stout taste shows up with sweet chocolate and some vanilla, as well as bitter roasted malts. This is very unique and very, very tasty.

F – Medium-to-full-bodied with good carbonation, a tart and mouth-coating feel, and a slightly bitter, sour, and extremely dry finish. Dry bittersweet roasted chocolaty malt lingers for a bit. There isn’t a warmth from the alcohol per se, but the tart acidity lends a bit of a warming character.

O – This beer is fantastically different from anything that I’ve ever had before. It has elements of a good stout but also has great sour aromas and flavors. I never would have thought that a sour stout would be good, but Jester King has proven me very, very wrong. This is a delicious beer and one that I’m extremely glad that I got to try.

Shared with my doppelganger on his wedding day prior to getting ready for the festivities! Served from bottle into a New Belgium globe. Poured black with a one finger brown head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was compromised of sweet malt, roasted malt, fruit, earth, sour, funk, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, sour, tart, funk, roasted malt, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. The tart and sour twist on this one was actually quite nice on the base brew. This made it quite drinkable and enjoyable throughout the glass. Wish this were readily available in my area so I could crush this daily! Definitely worth your time!

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Shared with friends for the bruins game. Poured into a tulip.

A - Poured a nice dark black hue with a quarter inch head that fades to leave a thin halo.

S - Aromas of sour almost cherries and chocolate with nice roast malts. Not too bad at all.

T - Taste is similar to the nose with lots of nice sour funk and light fruit with good faint stout notes. Very well done and a good balance of both sour and roast.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice with a good amount pf carbonation for the style.

O - Overall this was a good beer with nice cross platform. Aspects. Solid and drinkable glad I shared it.

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours like a thick chocolate milk shake; very dark with a dark brown head

S - no major hints of the barrel like i expected also not too vinegary like some sours can be

T - the warm flavors from the barrel aging are very subtle and dont overpower the sour flavor

M - thick, rich and drinkable

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed live

Pours an intimidating, motor-oil black with a very thin, hard-to-coax head of dark, mocha colored foam. Looks exceptionally thick and alive

I can feel the funk from first sniff. Cherry-like tart smell, mixed with a sweet, sour funky note. Smells very similar to a Flanders Oud Bruin, not much here reminiscent of stout.

Wow! Extreme sour flavors assault the palate immediately. The only thing subtle about this are the stout characteristics, which hide way in the back, behind a wall of sour wild yeasty madness. This is an experience... sour, tart, spicy, corrosive. There is a LOT going on and I'm only 2 sips in. Sour and funky are literally the only things I can say to describe this beer. It's delicious if you're a huge fan of funky sour attack beers. And I've recently been drinking equal measures of imperial stouts and any and all spontaneous-fermentation/sours I can find, so this was opened at the right point in my life.

medium body, medium carbonation. Not anywhere near as thick as it looks, but that might be something to do with the crazy active carbonation. This one is not full of bubbles, but the bubbles that exist are tingly and alive. This beer impacts your mouth and your taste buds.

Overall, I'd say this beer is for the adventurous and the enthusiastic. Intimidating, unique, and memorable.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: two finger khaki-colored head. Beer is so dark it practically absorbs the light

Aroma: Sourness, chocolate, coffee, toasty, and a velvety smooth aroma. As it warms up, a light pleasant citrus scent comes to life.

Taste: Quite more sour than actual Imperial Stout. And I mean the sourness takes more of the palate here, with the flavors of an Imperial Stout being underlying. It is fairly sweet, but the sourness cuts into it.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth and creamy. Light-medium carbonation. Clocks in at medium body.

Overall: It's an odd, rarely seen type of brew even in the vast world of craft beer, but this is just insanely refreshing and light. Dangerously drinkable for an 8.2% ABV. I paired this with a lemon bundt cake with icing, and the duo is an absolute dynamic!

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

25.4 oz bottle into a stemless tulip pint. No visible bottling or best-by date.

Look- Pours a deep ruby brown with three fingers of crackly beige head. Excellent lacing.

Smell- Wow, that's unique. And in a good way. Chocolate milk, roasted pine nuts, white wine, pear cider. Raspberry, oak, vanilla, and a bit of leather emerge as it warms.

Taste- Bracingly sour, barely tempered by a robust roasty-toasty flavor that slowly asserts itself after the swallow. Primary flavors are cherry pie, blackberry/red raspberry, toasted biscuit, cola, espresso, and mocha, in that order. Smooth transition from tart, juicy flavors on the sip through the mellow choclaty finish with a hint of red wine and wood. Superb.

Mouthfeel- Assertive acidity at first, medium body, extremely fine but present carbonation. Dry, clean finish. Smooth, soft feel. mild mineral on the finish, barely noticeable and very appropriate. Very easy drinking. I probably could have finished the whole bottle myself. Scratch that, I would have if I could have.

Overall- Well, I'm impressed. I've got mixed feelings about JK, and some of their more experimental offerings (such as the one-off mash-ups they offer on tour days) are just a hot mess. This, however, is spot-on. None of the sometimes observed (what I would consider) "undesirable" wild characteristics (dirty feet, horse sweat, asparagus, etc.) are evident. The slightly sweet and well-rounded stout flavors blend perfectly with the not-quite puckery sourness and produce something both unique and delicious. Bravo. I'd like to see more like this. Absolutely, absolutely worth trying. Highly recommended.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

.750 Chilled in the fridge. Popped open and poured into my HF stem. I opened the night up with a founders breakfast stout to get my stout antennae pointed into the right direction. After my first pour I went back into the fridge to find out that the beer yeasted all over the place (gushed)
A: jet black with a sliver tinged head that dissipates to form a thin layer. Not that responsive to aggressive agitation. This beer is oily and bits of the small foam layer left over cling the the side of the glass as the level goes down.
S: raspberry mocha. Acidic unripened fruit. This beers smells mad dry.
T: the initial taste is the sour (but not vinegary) fruit followed by a blast of coco powder that starts in the middle of my tongue and expands to the end of my checks in all directions, even to the back of my uvula.
M: thick and heavy. Lightly carbonated which is A.O.K. With me.
O: I was super curious to try this because of previous reviews comparing it to CD4. It is similar in that is a dark sour but is also clearly different at the same time in that funk metal sticks true to its stout by nature. I'm unaware of the blend of base beers of CD4 but I know it wasn't as chocolaty. This defiantly blows tart of darkness out of the water. That's for sure. I'd like to try it again in a few months to see how it tartens up.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black and murky. Just a sliver of dark brown around the edges of the glass. Little head. Just a thin film of brown bubbles of various sizes, and even that disappeared fairly quickly. I've seen pictures of this beer with a lot more head, so I assume that my bottle is just a bit low on carbonation. I really don't care about appearance nor expect perfect consistency from sours, so it doesn't bother me at all. The aroma has lots of fruit and some underlying stout character. I'm getting a lot of blackberries and red wine. There's a good dose of oak in there. Underneath that fruity sourness, there's chocolate, a little caramel and mild roast. Very pleasant mix of chocolate and fruit. The flavors are well composed and seem much more intentional than probably any other sour stout that I've tried. Taste is similar to aroma. Primary flavors are chocolate, sour, tannic oak, blackberries and red wine. Fairly tart, particularly in the finish. Some cocoa sweetness, but the oak provides a drying tannic bite. Nice lingering red wine and chocolate aftertaste. Carbonation is relatively low, but that might just be my bottle, in part. Very good sour stout. Probably the best I've had. I haven't been a big fan of many sour stouts, but this is an excellent beer. Jester King continues to impress.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Blackness, light mocha head, pencil thin head, no apparent lacing, not opaque what so ever.

S - Green apple, tart raspberry, blend of sour fruit.

T - initial: sour bacteria - granny smith apple, cranberry, tart raspberry. finish has slight roast with real minor chocolate. hop level is low.

M - Froth level is good, a bit thin, viscosity is a medium level.

O - Jester King calls this a Sour Barrel Aged Stout - if that is really the case, this would be the weirdest beer I have ever had. I certainly agree with BeerAdvocate, this fits more of the American Wild Ale style. Regardless, excellent sour love the Brettanomyces . Tart level is 6/10. Roast level blends in really well. At 16.99 its a tough beer to 'highly' recommend. But the monetary value eliminated - it is certainly very good and very unique.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to worthy sniffer

A: it pours very dark walnut brown in color. It pours with lots of carbonation that has a big head that is khaki in color but goes away quickly leaving a lacing. It looks like a standard stout

S: it definitely seems like it has quite a bit of sour yeast in the smell. It also has some sweet smell that could be dark fruit but I cannot really identify it.

T: this is crazy like this beer is really interesting to me upfront it is tart and house good sour flavor upfront but then that fades into a stout finish is like all of a sudden it is smooth and creamy with a roasted flavor. It's a very interesting combo but it really works.

M: it starts off as tart but not puckering while also being oily. Then when the stout flavor starts to come in it is thick a creamy in feel but not heavy it's actually pretty light for a stout. Lots of things in one beer but it works.

O:this one of the most interesting beer I have ever tried it is a sour upfront with a stout finish the transition is clean and works well I am really surprised but it is a mash of my two favorite styles. My first jk beer and i will be back. Not my favorite beer ever but this is 100% worth a try just for the experience.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter. Acquired as an extra from Surge1311, thanks dude!!

A- Opened as a gusher. Would not stop foaming from the second I opened it (annoying, -.25 for this). Pours a deep brown body with mahogany highlights. Has a mocha head that reduces quickly to a thin layer of white foam.

S- Tart fruit, red wine, dark cherries, leathery oak, and some coffee in the background.

T- Upfront it's pretty sour - I get fruit skins, red wine vinegar, tart cherries. The stout characteristics are subdued and show up ever so slightly in the follow through - slight coffee and roasty malt. There is also an oaky woodiness mixed in there. The finish is tannic.

M- Takes on the crispness and light body of a good sour.

Wow - this is extremely complex, flavorful, sour, and easy to drink. Has more sour characteristics than stout characteristics, but that's OK because it was very well crafted.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A - Dark black with a hint of brown and a thin finger of frothy chocolate-khaki head. Fades fairly quickly.

S - Sweet chocolate malts, sour cherries and other dark fruits, oak, red wine, some light roastiness and lactic acid, and a touch of booze.

T - Sweet chocolate malts, sour cherries, other dark fruits, red wine, oak, some lactic acid, vanilla, hint of black licorice, and a bit of booze.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sour, sweet, and warming finish.

D - Great sour stout. Great overall balance and mouthfeel.

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy dark brown coca-cola looking color with a foamy dark khaki head that recedes to leave some decent, soapy lacing.

Aromas begin with dark cherries, dark berries, apple cider and vinegar. As it warms you get some roasty char, espresso and oak.

The tastes begin with a savory sourness that I was not expecting; highlighted by dark black cherries, red apple, blackberry, currant and red vinious notes. As it warms you get more and more burnt woodiness, espresso roasted malts and some tangy sweet unripened berries.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Finish is fairly dry with a persistent acidity and light roasted/char flavor profile.

Overall this reminds me a lot of the Melange No 1 flavor profile, albeit much lighter and more drinkable. The savory, roasty flavors throw off the flavors for me a little. I like but I don't love it.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared thanks to franklinn, poured into a Hill Farmstead.

Pour: Instant gusher... probably the most insane gusher I've seen. Have a glass ready! After that near calamity, great splashy, but midnight black pour with two fingers of khaki head. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Big lactic tartness up front, and a slight balsamic vinegar. Lots of roast and red wine barrel presence. This smells incredible.

Taste: Lots of farmhouse qualities up front: funk and some earth. Gives way to a big lactic tartness, a clean smooth roasted coffee, and lots of red wine. Finishes incredibly smooth and tart, and very dry.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is incredible velvety... tartness is just right, dry finish makes this stout astoundingly refreshing.

Overall: Very well done beer. Body is what makes this a nice stout, but qualities otherwise make this more of a black saison. I'd say this and CD4 are nearly interchangeable, albeit for the mouthfeel.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at Boneyard Bistro in Sherman Oaks, CA.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with dark roasted malt, dark fruit, wood, and bourbon aromas. Taste is much the same with only a mild sourness and more emphasis on the stout flavors. There is a mild amount of roasty and woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a great smell but the flavors don't match up in my opinion.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a Jester King goblet.

Pours a very dark brown color with a layer of creamy off white head. Lots of sour notes in the smell, but there is a strong chocolate component as well. Just a touch of vinegar. The taste is quite sour but not at all abrasive. Lots of sour vinegar notes but not particularly funky. The finish is tart with a mild smoke notes. Everything works well together in this beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast