2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buddha's Brew - Jester King Brewery

Buddha's BrewBuddha's Brew

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Wild Ale |  4.70% ABV

The first Jester King beer to be brewed entirely in oak. Unfermented wort was racked directly to oak barrels and inoculated with souring bacteria. From there, it spent months aging in our barrel room before being blended with live kombucha at bottling. Unfiltered, unpasteurized & naturally carbonated through re-fermentation in the bottle.

(Beer added by: brandon911 on 09-16-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 114 | Reviews: 19 | Show All Ratings:
starkmarvelo

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Jester King Buddha's Brew

A- hazy golden straw color, very refreshing looking. Minimal white head & disappears fast. The label kicks ass. Matte label with metallic highlights.

S- light funk, sugary sweetness, grapes, light fermented tea/cider aromas.

T- moderate grape and lemon tartness starts up front. Bit of wheat in the middle. Finishes with an interesting creamy yogurt/cream cheese flavor and some oak notes. Has a very long lingering tart yogurt wheat flavor, almost like a taffy or a lemon tootsie roll aftertaste. Very good. Has just the right amount of tartness. Not puckering, but doesn't taste watered down either.

M- moderate carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Very yogurt like. You can taste this beer long after your last sip. That lactic taste just sticks around, not in a bad way cause its very enjoyable. Pretty wet finish.

O- very good stuff. As always Jester King makes interesting beer. A lot like a Berliner Weisse but with a lot of subtle, je ne sais quoi, flavors. Very refreshing, very light. Highly drinkable. I've never had Kombucha before so some of the flavors in this beer are new to me.

01-02-2013 18:57:38 | More by starkmarvelo
gtermi

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: This beer pours a yellow body with a thin white head that quickly fades away to nothing.

S: I am getting a sour tartness with some oak and a little bit of fruit too. Sort of reminds me of sour candy.

T: OH HELL YEAH! The flavor is so nice with the sour candy flavor with the wheat mixed in there perfectly. As the beer lingers the wheat becomes more dominent and also has a fruity flavor.

M: There is a nice bit of carbonation and a very thin body. The carbonation tingles all over tongue.

O: This is another great beer by Jester King. Every sour they have done has really hit the spot. I am glad I bought a few bottles of this.

11-22-2012 05:06:01 | More by gtermi
lanbewardin

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 75 of this.

Pours yellowish cloudy straw, with small amount of head.

Smells tart, funky, grapes, lemon citrus, some apple. The smell kind of reminds me of a fantome saison actually, funky.

Tastes quite tart, citrusy, I've never had kombucha so... not sure what to look for there, I don't notice anything overwhelming tea-like though. Very 'clean' beer. Mouthfeel is good, perfect amount of carbonation. Again, with the funky yeasty taste, similar to the fantome, although sourer of course.

Very sessionable beer, wouldn't mind finding this on tap

11-20-2012 23:56:10 | More by lanbewardin
brandon911

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Had on tap at the Jester King Brewery in one of their snifters.

This is a beer that is brewed with Buddha's Brew Classic Kombucha and no surprise, it tastes like a beer brewed with Kombucha. It was a pale amber/yellow with a light fluffy head that went away pretty quickly. It smelled fairly sour and a little citrusy with some funk and a little earthiness and woodiness. The taste is really hard to describe, but it follows the nose pretty well. It tastes sour and funky like a kombucha but with some hoppiness and citrus from the beer and some woodiness from the barrels as well as with some yogurt thrown in. In the front of the mouth it's sour, but ends on the back of the tongue with some bitterness. The mouthfeel is okay, not overly carbonated but really drinkable.

This is one of my new favorite beers and I hope I can find this in a bottle or on tap at some point!

09-16-2012 20:51:29 | More by brandon911
claytong

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was so intrigued I couldn't stop myself at buying for 15 a bottle

Appearance is lively but not heady. Beautiful straw yellow

Smell Is oak, lemon, honey and an odd mix I can't put a description except funky

Taste is quite similar, an odd Brett flavor comes out more and some fruity esters

Mouthfeel is impressive for what they've done here

Overall this reminded me somewhat of fantomes saison

03-11-2013 00:06:06 | More by claytong
fragilehearted

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - slightly hazy golden yellow. Not much head. Meh. But there are some pretty bubbles coming up from the bottom. Not unlike champagne, but a little more golden.

S - wheat & sourness. And I don't know what kombucha smells like, but there's something unrecognizable and unique that I smell, so it's safe to assume that's it. Something earthy, almost. Kind of like they pulled the wheat out with some dirt still in it. Weird, I know, but it's not bad.

T - again, the specific likely kombucha flavor, with some wheat. (I don't care for wheaty beers in general, and this is not overwhelmingly wheaty, fortunately.) But yay, it's tart, which makes me happy. Lemon / white grape flavor. Acidic citrus bite on the finish. It's definitely unique.

M - pretty light, which I expected. Again, not unlike champagne, though not quite as bubbly. Wet finish, tart acidic taste sticks around. Which isn't bad, if you like it.

D/O - easy to drink. I only had one bottle of this, and I decided to drink it instead of trading it, & I'm pleased I did. I do like Jester King's sours, and this is no exception. It's definitely a unique-tasting beer that probably won't be for everyone. And I probably wouldn't drink it regularly, but I would drink another bottle sometime, if I had one.

01-12-2013 04:22:11 | More by fragilehearted
LittleDon

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Straw color and very hazy. The head lasted about a minute then disappeared. No lace. Bread dough aroma when first poured. Oak and fruit come out as it warms. Lightly toasted sourdough bread, oak, sour fruit. Mild bitterness after the finish. Viscous medium body mouthfeel and medium-high carbonation.

02-04-2013 22:54:34 | More by LittleDon
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.06/5  rDev +2%

Bottle opened on 1.14.13

A - Pours a hazy yellow with an active, fizzy off-white head that clumps together on one side.

S - Sour lemon citrus, oak acid.

T - Sour and woody, then tart lemon.

D - Decent carbonation with a light and thin body.

O - Lemons and oak play off of each other. Tart and thin.

01-22-2013 07:12:26 | More by HuskyinPDX
inlimbo77

Delaware

750ml, fall 2012
Tired Hands wine glass

A: Cloudy effervescent pale yellow color. Lots of carbonation. Thin layer of bright bubbly white head. Tight tiny bubbles.

S: Tart lemon hints. Some white grape. Grassy grainy notes. Pulling some of those Noble Hops. Clean and crisp wheat.

T: Up front, you get that tart white grape and lemon flavor you smelled. In the mid palate, the flavor smooths out. Possibly from the oak fermenting/aging. Really softens even with the good carbonation that tickled the tongue originally. You do get some of those herbal and grassy flavors either from the hop varieties or Kombucha. The Lacto probably adds to the mild creaminess.

M: light to medium bodied. Finish isn't overly mouth puckering and dry. Soft.

12-03-2012 19:04:51 | More by inlimbo77
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.94/5  rDev -1%

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one at a recent Random Sunday Tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a pale golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, tart, fruit, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, funk, sour, tart, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. There were some nice notes going on here with a fairly good balance. Upon first inspection of the nose I wasn’t really expecting anything really special for the style, however on the flavor I did find it to be quite good. The fruit aspect was what truly made this one on the flavor. It was quite refreshing and rather enjoyable. Glad I got the chance to try this one.

03-28-2013 11:22:47 | More by thagr81us
cfrobrew

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

I really like this beer. It's got a really interesting smell. I would love to have it fully carbonated but it still has a nice enjoyable acidity. You can really tell the tea comes through in the beer, I would imagine it is stronger on cask. Fun beer to drink, not my favorite of theirs but I like it a lot.

On cask at the hay merchant in Houston.

Serving type: cask

11-16-2012 04:17:40 | More by cfrobrew
homebrew311

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance is pale yellow with a bit of cloudiness. Nose full of wheaty cereal grain, tea leaves, white grapes, and lemon. The taste features citric tartness with a heavy grain profile. Reminds me of a Berliner weisse. Very tart on the finish. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Overall, unique and interesting.

11-17-2012 21:14:25 | More by homebrew311
Mora2000

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Glad to see a new sour from Jester King.

The beer pours a hazy, straw yellow color with a small white head. The aroma is full of wheat and a lactic sourness. I also get a little bit of pepper. The flavor is similar. There is a good bit of lemon and tart wheat notes, as well as a hint of oak and some light funk notes. As the beer warms the oak gets a little more pronounced. The sourness is not too intense, more like what you would find in a Berliner Weiss. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An incredibly easy drinking sour that would go very well on a hot summer day. Still, I wonder if this beer would be better and more complex with additional age on it since it tastes a bit young.

11-28-2012 02:30:41 | More by Mora2000
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks willandperry!

Appearance. Pours a fairly clear pale straw gold colour with a finger of fizzy white head that disappears almost immediately.

Smell. Sweet wheat and some slight lactic sourness. Maybe just a little barrel wood.

Taste. Very sour with a bit of lemon and green apple, a bit of sweet wheat and damp old barrel.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with low but fairly lively carbonation.

Overall. Reminded me of a sour berliner. Nothing bad about this beer, just nothing amazing. Refreshing and sour though. I would drink it again for sure.

06-17-2013 03:24:32 | More by Rutager
zander4dawin

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

Light murky water appearance, the taste is peachy with a slight sour candy taste. Overall it's a nice sour ale by jester king but not their best offering to date. Mouthfeel is crisp and drinkable. Slight amount of sediment at the bottom of the glass. I'd recommend this beer if you like sour ales but some of jester kings past sours have been better like boxers revenge.

11-22-2012 19:27:00 | More by zander4dawin
Alieniloquium

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very pale hazy yellow. No head.

Smell - All sorts of lemony acids. A variety of aromas. A little bit floral and grainy.

Taste - Very sour. Lemon citrus sourness. Not a lot else going on, but it's pretty good.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied. Well carbonated. Nice sourness.

Overall - Tasty beer that might have suffered from being too late in the tasting.

06-10-2013 02:25:02 | More by Alieniloquium
mynie

Indiana

3.36/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Drinking this was similar to drinking regular, non-boozified kombucha--the first sip is nearly intolerable and I worry that I won't be able to finish the bottle. Then it get drinkable. Then I develop a taste for it and am sorry, some time later, when the bottle is finally empty.

I have no idea what goes into brewing with live kombucha but I'm willing to bet it's not particularly easy. Additionally, I got no ideas how to really review this beer since there's nothing against which it can be fairly based--it's not a regular wild ale, certainly. It's a whole new world of tart.

I can say, however, that this was not an easy drinking beer. Even as I came to enjoy it, it still went down awful slow. So while it's doubtless an excellently brewed beer, I can't quite bring myself to recommend it normal-like.

03-04-2013 23:07:06 | More by mynie
champ103

2.83/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. At first a tightly packed white head tries to form. On a very vigorous poor. Though that fizzles out in a second. No lace to speak of. Not a very attractive poor.
S: Up front is tart citrus and wheat, though that fades in a second to a very odd musky, wet cloths kind of aroma. Citrus in the finish again. Medicinal and metallic in the nose as well. Nothing meshes here and kind of messy.
T: Not as convoluted and messy here. Though very simple. Husky wheat, tart lemon rind, and citrus. A very light lingering acidic bite.
M/D: Very light body. Moderate carbonation. Though very thin and watery. I understand that it is low alcohol, but still you can make a fuller mouthfeel than paper thin. Really disappointing here. Not something I care to finish. Just ho hum, and not much here to interest me.

This is not doing it for me. No real character here. Just tart lemon and citrus with a really weak body. Not something I care to come back to.

12-08-2012 00:46:57 | More by champ103
StuporJew

2.43/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance - Cloudy, Straw yellow, little to no head, but good effervescence.

Smell - REEKS of Kombucha! Dried grape/raisin notes, wheat malt, & Lemon. Pretty funky... Can't tell for sure if the funk stems from the Tea or the bacteria alone.

Taste - Tons of Kombucha funkiness, dominated by the whiskey top-note from the barrel aging. Sharp acidity, and lingering twang.

Mouthfeel - Rich Lactic mouthfeel. Good Carbonation.

Overall - I went into this beer without very high expectations, seeing as I'm not really a fan of Kombucha tea. I AM a huge fan of the sour style, however, and have enjoyed many of JK's experimental beers. (Boxer's Revenge was pretty boss.) I look forward to Funk Metal, but this was just not the beer for me, although it may appeal to some. All in all, an interesting take on the style.

11-28-2012 03:04:48 | More by StuporJew