Gotlandsdricka - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.60% ABV

Gotlandsdricka, meaning “Drink of the Good Land”, is believed to have been the beer of the Vikings. Our rendition of this ancient style is inspired by the traditional farmhouse ales once brewed on the island of Gotland, off the coast of Sweden. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally-conditioned.

(Beer added by: StaveHooks on 10-19-2012)
Reviews by wagenvolks:
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

750ml bottle into a Cuvee des Jacobins tulip.

The pour is attractive enough, delivering a goldenrod-colored haze of a beer into the glass. A thick white shell of foam builds to an inch and slowly recedes to a veil of tightly packed bubbles. Some proper lace clings to the edges. Huge notes of smoky, meaty phenols greet the nostrils, almost to the detriment of the remainder of the beer. Dig deep enough (if you dare--this is one for the smoke-lovers!), and you get hints of earth, wheat, and bread crust. Still, the smoke aroma is tough to work around in the context of a session.

The flavor dials back the smoke a few levels, thankfully, and lets a bit of light sour and funkiness play through. Hints of tart citrus zest, dried grasses, funky barnyard, and tangy wheat. It's actually pretty well balanced, but the smoke still sticks out from the rest of the beer. Bubbles are ample, and the body of Gotlandsdricka is medium-light on the palate. Clean finish with a hint of smokiness and light fruit. Overall, I found this Jester King offering to be an interesting addition to their lineup. Although it's not something I'll be seeking out again (and not worth the $13 price tag), I'm glad I got a chance to try it. Palate-expanding, to say the least.

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

4.51/5  rDev +25.3%

Jester King Gotlandsdricka 750ml bottled poured into 1 liter Hofbrau stein. This beer is the result of research into the types of beer that the Vikings might have brewed. Jester King presents their interpretation.

Appearance: Hazy straw yellow color. Thick and fluffy two-finger head.

Aroma: Starts off with an spicy, herbal, and earthy aroma. It develops into fresh cut grass and lemon . Finally, it transforms into a type of berry (juniper?) with a touch of smoked malts.

Taste: It is like delicious, smoked ribs in liquid form. A strange type of bitterness that is hop-like in nature, but tastes as though it comes from a different source. Not unpleasant, but just different. I believe the "sweet gale" ingredient may play a role in that.

Mouthfeel: Very dry from start to finish. This is a highly carbonated beer, probably being the 1st or 2nd most carbonated beer I've ever had. Body is creamy and full with a chewy finish.

Overall: Definitely an intriguing beer. This will pair amazing with some BBQ and/or smoked rack of ribs. Will definitely buy again when I get the urge to pillage a neighboring city.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

I knew once I saw the label on this beer, as happens with every Jester King offering I see, that I'd have to get it. It caught my eye, the evil-looking Viking, so I took a closer look. I was curious of what the style of beer it was. But while the label explains what the beer is like, it doesn't say what it is. That intrigued me further. I have to say, Gotlandsdricka did not disappoint.

If I could best describe the look (and other qualities) of Gotlandsdricka, it'd be that it looks similar to a Belgian golden ale. It has a bright golden color, is cloudy, and produces a fine bubbly and frothy white head. Lacing was not present.

A nice toasted breadiness hits the nose first. It's moderately smoky, just right so that it doesn't mask any other aromatic characteristics. That plus the juniper/gale gives the smell an earthiness. The juniper/gale, and I should say that I can only guess at the characteristics of the gale since this is the first beer I've had that uses it, add a peppery, coniferous spice, not to be confused with the pine resin-like coniferous character present in most pale ales. The farmhouse yeast keeps the beer seeming like a Belgian golden to me. I get a bit of lemon zest in there too.

The taste is much like the smell. Right off the bat there's the toasty light malts with the juniper/gale spiciness following. The smokiness, what Jester King told me via Twitter is birchwood-smoked malt, comes right after, blending in with the toasty malt and spiciness so that you get a nice variety of flavors one after the other but all in harmony. There's an excellent grassy sugar sweetness throughout too that balances perfectly with the rest. Once I let Gotlandsdricka warm up a little, I was greeted with an incredibly well-balanced beer. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, and none of it overpowers the others. This is definitely an interesting beer to the taste buds.

Gotlandsdricka is also very drinkable, lighter in body, and has a nice medium carbonation. It's smooth as silk going down.

I definitely recommend this to anyone. Jester King says it's giving the beer "additional fermentation with wild yeast and souring bacteria. We presently have a version of Gotlandsdricka that we inoculated with wild yeast and bacteria aging in oak barrels." I can't wait!

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A-pours a straw orange color with a huge head that overflows

S-lots of smokey wood up front with some berry and pine

T-smoke flavor up front but not very intimidating. I honestly am not a big fan of this style but I do enjoy this beer. Slightly funky with a bitter juniper berry preesence with some resin in the background,

M-heavy carbonation with a heavy body...blends. Slightly odd with the smoke.

O-a very nice take on the smoked beer style but a little more sweetness would balance this one out better and it is rather bitter.

Gotlandsdricka from Jester King Brewery