Gotlandsdricka - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.60% ABV

Gotlandsdricka, meaning “Drink of the Good Land”, is believed to have been the beer of the Vikings. Our rendition of this ancient style is inspired by the traditional farmhouse ales once brewed on the island of Gotland, off the coast of Sweden. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally-conditioned.

(Beer added by: StaveHooks on 10-19-2012)

captainbearcat, Apr 21, 2013

Tiernan, Nov 04, 2012

SquidVicious, Nov 14, 2012

Jamison85, Mar 27, 2013

htdoerge, Aug 22, 2014

Eriktheipaman, Feb 27, 2013
4.73/5  rDev +31.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle with the awesome label art into a hollow drinking horn.

Appearance - Golden yellow, like a Wheat or DIPA, slightly opaque. Poured with a 1 inch thick white foam head, which dissipated within a few minutes. Some carbonation, not much.

Smell - Tart, bready, and smokey. A little farmhouse funk right along with the smoke, but not much. Almost like old bacon you've had in the fridge check to see if it's still good, and yes, it still is. Haha. Others may be able to detect more. My sense of smell sucks.

Taste - Awesome! Light and bready at first, you can definitely taste the rye, followed by the smoke, which is delicate and non offensive. It's actually really great, and doesn't overpower any of the other flavors. Brick oven pizza crust? After the smoke fades, you can taste a hint of the Juniper and the Gale, which linger into a slight bitterness as they fade.It's very refreshing for a beer with smoke on the palette, which my friends and I usually find ourselves sipping. I didn't detect any farmhouse funk at all, unlike the nose, but really I didn't want it. It's perfect the way it is. Although as it warmed up, it did take on a sourdough bread-like quality.

Mouth feel - The mouth feel is light with with a malty slickness, like a toned down wheat beer. It has a light carbonation that complements all of the other attributes terrifically. Like I said about the taste, it's very refreshing.

This beer wasn't quite what I was expecting, somehow I was expecting something more like a Sahti. I guess it was because I didn't really know what to expect from a style I've never tried before, but I liked it way more than what I was expecting. I'm of Swedish descent, so maybe I just have genetic predisposition to enjoy it? Hah.

Awesome Beer Jester King! Way different from the rest of the lineup. I'm glad I bought as much as I did. I hope you decide to brew it again one day.

Daemose, Oct 20, 2012
4.51/5  rDev +25.3%

Jester King Gotlandsdricka 750ml bottled poured into 1 liter Hofbrau stein. This beer is the result of research into the types of beer that the Vikings might have brewed. Jester King presents their interpretation.

Appearance: Hazy straw yellow color. Thick and fluffy two-finger head.

Aroma: Starts off with an spicy, herbal, and earthy aroma. It develops into fresh cut grass and lemon . Finally, it transforms into a type of berry (juniper?) with a touch of smoked malts.

Taste: It is like delicious, smoked ribs in liquid form. A strange type of bitterness that is hop-like in nature, but tastes as though it comes from a different source. Not unpleasant, but just different. I believe the "sweet gale" ingredient may play a role in that.

Mouthfeel: Very dry from start to finish. This is a highly carbonated beer, probably being the 1st or 2nd most carbonated beer I've ever had. Body is creamy and full with a chewy finish.

Overall: Definitely an intriguing beer. This will pair amazing with some BBQ and/or smoked rack of ribs. Will definitely buy again when I get the urge to pillage a neighboring city.

Clonies720, Apr 12, 2013

valkyre65, Oct 21, 2012

pauldevay, May 21, 2013

Jame515, Sep 10, 2013

Beerrenda, Mar 03, 2013

manguero, Oct 19, 2012

aubrey, Nov 04, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Chilled 25.4 oz bottle into a JK tulip. First had this at the Texas Craft Brewer's Festival back in October, really liked it then, let's see if that made it into the bottle. Not quite sure if this is actually the same stuff, as at that point I'm fairly sure it was presented as made without hops at all.

Look- Deep gold with three fingers of pillowy head. Excellent retention, not much lace.

Smell- Light smoke, pear, lemon, intensely herbal, spicy, apricot, allspice. Cracker in the background. Swirling brings out more of an apple cider aroma coupled with dry toast. Nice.

Taste- Smoke flavor is stronger than indicated by the aroma, and becomes the dominant flavor towards the end of the sip. Otherwise flavors are very similar to the nose, starts with mild citrus and rolls into light toasted rye, hints of cider and hopping/spicing is cloverlike. Juniper is noticeable. Finishes clean, light mineral flavor. The more I sip, the more it grows on me. On the smokier side for a pale beer, but it actually works well with the other flavors. As it warms, it takes on a fuller, breadier, light honey flavor that kicks the entire thing up a notch. Interestingly enough, in cleanses the palatte and doesn't suffer from the smoky build-up that some rauchbiers suffer from.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, medium-high but smooth carbonation. Light feel, easy drinking. 13 or so oz. went down easily,

Overall- Another unique offering from Jester King. More of an everyday beer than most smoked ales, and like certain sodas, room temp and nearly flat suits it well- let it warm up a bit and savor. I'll certainly pick it up again.

Lawl3ss, Dec 30, 2012

jheezee, Oct 29, 2012

toneigh, Jan 08, 2013

XicanoBeerRun, Dec 06, 2013

jivex5k, Jul 25, 2013

abrodsky, Nov 30, 2012

crob3888, Mar 23, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Provided by JJ. Served with a large, foamy, frothy, off-white head that lasts all the way down. Color is a hazy amber. Aroma is yeast, smoke, sour, with notes of fruit. Flavor's like nose, smoke is prominant, but not overdone; again a bit tart. Body's decent, good carbonation. Finish is like flavor, fairly easy drinking, would killer to cook with..

drpimento, Feb 17, 2013

sliverX, Nov 20, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

I knew once I saw the label on this beer, as happens with every Jester King offering I see, that I'd have to get it. It caught my eye, the evil-looking Viking, so I took a closer look. I was curious of what the style of beer it was. But while the label explains what the beer is like, it doesn't say what it is. That intrigued me further. I have to say, Gotlandsdricka did not disappoint.

If I could best describe the look (and other qualities) of Gotlandsdricka, it'd be that it looks similar to a Belgian golden ale. It has a bright golden color, is cloudy, and produces a fine bubbly and frothy white head. Lacing was not present.

A nice toasted breadiness hits the nose first. It's moderately smoky, just right so that it doesn't mask any other aromatic characteristics. That plus the juniper/gale gives the smell an earthiness. The juniper/gale, and I should say that I can only guess at the characteristics of the gale since this is the first beer I've had that uses it, add a peppery, coniferous spice, not to be confused with the pine resin-like coniferous character present in most pale ales. The farmhouse yeast keeps the beer seeming like a Belgian golden to me. I get a bit of lemon zest in there too.

The taste is much like the smell. Right off the bat there's the toasty light malts with the juniper/gale spiciness following. The smokiness, what Jester King told me via Twitter is birchwood-smoked malt, comes right after, blending in with the toasty malt and spiciness so that you get a nice variety of flavors one after the other but all in harmony. There's an excellent grassy sugar sweetness throughout too that balances perfectly with the rest. Once I let Gotlandsdricka warm up a little, I was greeted with an incredibly well-balanced beer. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, and none of it overpowers the others. This is definitely an interesting beer to the taste buds.

Gotlandsdricka is also very drinkable, lighter in body, and has a nice medium carbonation. It's smooth as silk going down.

I definitely recommend this to anyone. Jester King says it's giving the beer "additional fermentation with wild yeast and souring bacteria. We presently have a version of Gotlandsdricka that we inoculated with wild yeast and bacteria aging in oak barrels." I can't wait!

BeardedRiker, Nov 05, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear straw hue--hint of haze and hint of greenish tint--with moderate carbonation producing a 1 inch white head. Good retention. Hint of lacing.
S: An interesting earthy smoke note hits first (like a fire in an earthen lodge). A bit musty with muted spicy citrus hops. Toasted grains. Very interesting...rustic...quite nice.
T: Strong, but not overpowering earthy wood smoke is the backbone of this beer. Musty farmhouse quality. Sweet malt with hints of juniper and mild fruit (e.g. grape). Hint of spicy citrus hops in the background. A note of honey emerges with warming.
M: Light body. Smooth turning toward a mildly bitter and quite dry finish. Wood smoke lingers nicely on the palate.
D: Difficult to compare to style since this is my first Gotlandsdricka. This is an easily drinkable, well-balanced, complex, and yet understated brew. I have had nothing like it and I love it. The drinking experience brings immediately to mind a Viking's existence. Seek it out if you can!

mwilbur, Oct 26, 2012