Gotlandsdricka - Jester King Brewery

good

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.60% ABV

Gotlandsdricka, meaning “Drink of the Good Land”, is believed to have been the beer of the Vikings. Our rendition of this ancient style is inspired by the traditional farmhouse ales once brewed on the island of Gotland, off the coast of Sweden. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally-conditioned.

(Beer added by: StaveHooks on 10-19-2012)

bkrbdan, Nov 25, 2012

wmrogers11, Nov 22, 2012

Texasfan549, Nov 21, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

sliverX, Nov 20, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

750ml, fall 2012
Deschutes tulip

A: Pours a hazy light yellow orange color. Two fingers fluffy white head. Lacing sheeting.

S: Definitely getting that smoke. That campfire. That bacon. Some of that farmhouse yeast spice.

T: Lots of that campfire bacon smoke flavor. It's surprising front light looking brew. Getting that farmhouse yeast flavor in the mid palate. The smoke dominated the light Euro hop character and malt bill. Dry crisp finish.

M: Medium bodied. Good carbonation.

inlimbo77, Nov 19, 2012

ste5venla, Nov 17, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

SquidVicious, Nov 14, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

A: cloudy orange/yellow, trace white head, good lacing

S: smoke, bbq, floral, yeast, malt

T: sweet bbq, floral, yeast, slow roasted bitter finish

M: med body, smooth, firm bubbly

O: Interesting combination! Smoked BBQ and yeast/floral.
Would recommend and have again. Bet would be great with
bbq meat.

VERY GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

BeerLover99, Nov 13, 2012

bccocx, Nov 09, 2012
2.43/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This beer pours a yellow straw body with a thick white head that quickly fades away. There is also a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, So much smoke! It almost smells like burnt ham to me.. Not really digging this at all.

T: Yeah this is terrible. It tastes like you took ham and bacon and threw it in a smoker for a year. God I cant stand the flavor of this...

M: There is a lot of carbonation and really full feeling.

O: Dear god the flavor of this beer is just terrible that it made me gag on the first sip. Just nasty.

gtermi, Nov 08, 2012

raffy313, Nov 08, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Split a bottle with some friends at BRC in Houston.

A: Pours a hazed golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: At first is some musky yeast. Dank hops, stone fruits. Then the smoke comes through. Not my favorite combination.
T: Follows the nose. Some dank, musky yeast, fruits, herbal spice, and the smoke. The smoke does not really intermingle well with the rest of the beer.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A bit thin. Overall, not something I am going drink a hole bottle of by myself.

Decent, and I get what they are trying to do. Though not something I am coming back to. I think the "house yeast" that JK is using, shows itself best/is more developed here. That is a shame, because it does not mingle well with the rest of the beer.

champ103, Nov 07, 2012

pawpaw, Nov 06, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

I knew once I saw the label on this beer, as happens with every Jester King offering I see, that I'd have to get it. It caught my eye, the evil-looking Viking, so I took a closer look. I was curious of what the style of beer it was. But while the label explains what the beer is like, it doesn't say what it is. That intrigued me further. I have to say, Gotlandsdricka did not disappoint.

If I could best describe the look (and other qualities) of Gotlandsdricka, it'd be that it looks similar to a Belgian golden ale. It has a bright golden color, is cloudy, and produces a fine bubbly and frothy white head. Lacing was not present.

A nice toasted breadiness hits the nose first. It's moderately smoky, just right so that it doesn't mask any other aromatic characteristics. That plus the juniper/gale gives the smell an earthiness. The juniper/gale, and I should say that I can only guess at the characteristics of the gale since this is the first beer I've had that uses it, add a peppery, coniferous spice, not to be confused with the pine resin-like coniferous character present in most pale ales. The farmhouse yeast keeps the beer seeming like a Belgian golden to me. I get a bit of lemon zest in there too.

The taste is much like the smell. Right off the bat there's the toasty light malts with the juniper/gale spiciness following. The smokiness, what Jester King told me via Twitter is birchwood-smoked malt, comes right after, blending in with the toasty malt and spiciness so that you get a nice variety of flavors one after the other but all in harmony. There's an excellent grassy sugar sweetness throughout too that balances perfectly with the rest. Once I let Gotlandsdricka warm up a little, I was greeted with an incredibly well-balanced beer. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, and none of it overpowers the others. This is definitely an interesting beer to the taste buds.

Gotlandsdricka is also very drinkable, lighter in body, and has a nice medium carbonation. It's smooth as silk going down.

I definitely recommend this to anyone. Jester King says it's giving the beer "additional fermentation with wild yeast and souring bacteria. We presently have a version of Gotlandsdricka that we inoculated with wild yeast and bacteria aging in oak barrels." I can't wait!

BeardedRiker, Nov 05, 2012

aubrey, Nov 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

Tiernan, Nov 04, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

A: fairly light yellow in color, just a bit darker than straw. Lightly cloudy. Forms an enormous white head that quickly fizzes away to nothingness. No lacing.

S: light smokiness, light crisp green apple. Some yeasty esters. Coriander and peppery spice.

T: Light pale malts, mild smokey quality. Honey, apple, pear, biscuit, bready yeast, and a mild piney spice, presumably from the juniper.

M: lighter bodied. Heavier carbonation. Mild bitterness. Dry.

O: I guess it's a bit hard to rate against style when there isn't else like it. Never the less, not a bad beer. The smokiness is restrained, while the yeast is rather prevalent.

Florida9, Nov 04, 2012