Gotlandsdricka - Jester King Brewery

Jester King Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: StaveHooks on 10-19-2012

Gotlandsdricka, meaning “Drink of the Good Land”, is believed to have been the beer of the Vikings. Our rendition of this ancient style is inspired by the traditional farmhouse ales once brewed on the island of Gotland, off the coast of Sweden. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and naturally-conditioned.
4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

A: cloudy orange/yellow, trace white head, good lacing

S: smoke, bbq, floral, yeast, malt

T: sweet bbq, floral, yeast, slow roasted bitter finish

M: med body, smooth, firm bubbly

O: Interesting combination! Smoked BBQ and yeast/floral.
Would recommend and have again. Bet would be great with
bbq meat.

VERY GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

2.46/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This beer pours a yellow straw body with a thick white head that quickly fades away. There is also a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, So much smoke! It almost smells like burnt ham to me.. Not really digging this at all.

T: Yeah this is terrible. It tastes like you took ham and bacon and threw it in a smoker for a year. God I cant stand the flavor of this...

M: There is a lot of carbonation and really full feeling.

O: Dear god the flavor of this beer is just terrible that it made me gag on the first sip. Just nasty.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

Split a bottle with some friends at BRC in Houston.

A: Pours a hazed golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: At first is some musky yeast. Dank hops, stone fruits. Then the smoke comes through. Not my favorite combination.
T: Follows the nose. Some dank, musky yeast, fruits, herbal spice, and the smoke. The smoke does not really intermingle well with the rest of the beer.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A bit thin. Overall, not something I am going drink a hole bottle of by myself.

Decent, and I get what they are trying to do. Though not something I am coming back to. I think the "house yeast" that JK is using, shows itself best/is more developed here. That is a shame, because it does not mingle well with the rest of the beer.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I knew once I saw the label on this beer, as happens with every Jester King offering I see, that I'd have to get it. It caught my eye, the evil-looking Viking, so I took a closer look. I was curious of what the style of beer it was. But while the label explains what the beer is like, it doesn't say what it is. That intrigued me further. I have to say, Gotlandsdricka did not disappoint.

If I could best describe the look (and other qualities) of Gotlandsdricka, it'd be that it looks similar to a Belgian golden ale. It has a bright golden color, is cloudy, and produces a fine bubbly and frothy white head. Lacing was not present.

A nice toasted breadiness hits the nose first. It's moderately smoky, just right so that it doesn't mask any other aromatic characteristics. That plus the juniper/gale gives the smell an earthiness. The juniper/gale, and I should say that I can only guess at the characteristics of the gale since this is the first beer I've had that uses it, add a peppery, coniferous spice, not to be confused with the pine resin-like coniferous character present in most pale ales. The farmhouse yeast keeps the beer seeming like a Belgian golden to me. I get a bit of lemon zest in there too.

The taste is much like the smell. Right off the bat there's the toasty light malts with the juniper/gale spiciness following. The smokiness, what Jester King told me via Twitter is birchwood-smoked malt, comes right after, blending in with the toasty malt and spiciness so that you get a nice variety of flavors one after the other but all in harmony. There's an excellent grassy sugar sweetness throughout too that balances perfectly with the rest. Once I let Gotlandsdricka warm up a little, I was greeted with an incredibly well-balanced beer. It's sweet, smoky, spicy, and none of it overpowers the others. This is definitely an interesting beer to the taste buds.

Gotlandsdricka is also very drinkable, lighter in body, and has a nice medium carbonation. It's smooth as silk going down.

I definitely recommend this to anyone. Jester King says it's giving the beer "additional fermentation with wild yeast and souring bacteria. We presently have a version of Gotlandsdricka that we inoculated with wild yeast and bacteria aging in oak barrels." I can't wait!

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

A: fairly light yellow in color, just a bit darker than straw. Lightly cloudy. Forms an enormous white head that quickly fizzes away to nothingness. No lacing.

S: light smokiness, light crisp green apple. Some yeasty esters. Coriander and peppery spice.

T: Light pale malts, mild smokey quality. Honey, apple, pear, biscuit, bready yeast, and a mild piney spice, presumably from the juniper.

M: lighter bodied. Heavier carbonation. Mild bitterness. Dry.

O: I guess it's a bit hard to rate against style when there isn't else like it. Never the less, not a bad beer. The smokiness is restrained, while the yeast is rather prevalent.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

A-pours a straw orange color with a huge head that overflows

S-lots of smokey wood up front with some berry and pine

T-smoke flavor up front but not very intimidating. I honestly am not a big fan of this style but I do enjoy this beer. Slightly funky with a bitter juniper berry preesence with some resin in the background,

M-heavy carbonation with a heavy body...blends. Slightly odd with the smoke.

O-a very nice take on the smoked beer style but a little more sweetness would balance this one out better and it is rather bitter.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Didn't have a skull cup to drink out of, as the label recommends, so I used a tulip instead.

Lightly hazed straw gold, and a billowing head of white foam that settles quickly to a skim. No lace to speak of, looks fairly plain and simple, which makes perfect sense.

Aroma is lightly phenolic and yeasty, earthy spices take centerstage. As it warms some light smoke traces waft out also.

Moderate level of smoke, well integrated and not overbearing. The juniper and gale are subdued, and come off more as general spice than anything, with some light bitter phenolics as well. Aftertaste of honeyed malt and soft oak smokiness, a mellow wood-derived astringency cuts through the ample and frothy carbonation. As a historical recreation of an ancient simple smoked ale, it's definitely interesting (especially as a Swede myself) but a little one-note overall.

Gotlandsdricka from Jester King Brewery