P-51 Porter - Wingman Brewers

P-51 PorterP-51 Porter

Wingman Brewers visit their website
Washington, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 04-22-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by tone77:
3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Despite careful handling this beer came gushing out of the can, finally settling with an inky black color with a 1.5 inch head. Smell is mild, roasted malts. Taste is also mild for the style, some roasted malts, a touch of hops, some alcohol is present, a bit lacking in flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

tone77, Sep 30, 2012

jmccraney, Jul 08, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

llschommer, Jul 22, 2014

Basoos1, Sep 13, 2014

Hopmodium, Oct 17, 2013
3.74/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Reuben's Brew snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque in the glass. Nice two finger, fine light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with mild char, hints of chocolate. Flavor is well toasted malt, char, boiled down coffee and hints of cocoa; finishes with lightly charred dark malt, light grassy hops, somewhat stark. Medium bodied with hints of creaminess, a bit thin for the flavor. A decent well roasted porter, bordering on stout territory; the initial flavor is reasonably rich with toasted malt, but the finish leaves the char and hop bitterness a bit exposed. The ABV is fairly well covered. A decent, but not remarkable example of the style. I'd get it again in a pinch.

LiquidAmber, May 22, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

DKRowden, Sep 10, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours dark red/black with a small tan head.

Smell is roasty and malty.

Taste is odd, almost sour coffee. Licorice and a bit of nuts.

Slick mouthfeel and a bit of a sour after taste. Very interesting porter.

Not good, not bad, just middle of the road.

Smurf2055, Jul 15, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Braz, Apr 30, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Presto82, Dec 31, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

BeerTunes sent this to me with his apologies in support of The CANQuest (TM). Apparently, he was not a big fan and hated to foist it on others, but he knows what a CANFan I am and shot some over to me in spite of his biases. Hey, CANned beer means never having to say you're sorry. I have yet to receive any CANdolences from Minhas B.C. and I am not holding my breath, either.

From the CAN: "Premium Imperial Porter"; "Brewed & CANned in Tacoma, WA"; "Authentic. Well-Crafted. Tacoma Ales."

I got an explosive Crack as beer came foaming out to greet me like a puppy happy to see its master. Filled to the rim, it were! I went too aggro on the Glug and I soon had beer everywhere and I was thankful that I had pulled napkins out of one of my seldom-worn jackets earlier today. The dense, massive, finger-and-a-half of head looked like chocolate milkshake. It was deep-brown and held up mightily until all of a sudden it gave up and fell like a souffle when the oven door is slammed. I do not think that I have ever seen anything like it. Once the Glu was complete, I was looking at a glassful of inky, deep-brown liquid with no light penetration except at the edges, which is how I could determine color. Nose was rich with scents of smoke and dark chocolate. I suddenly remembered the house in Montreal by the entrance to the Metro from the hotel where we stayed in 2002 for the Mondial de la Biere. It had experienced a fire the week before and the smoky odor hung in the air. They did not hold back on the roasted malts, that much is indisputable. My first draught from the glass left me bewildered. The mouthfeel was mighty thin and the taste was tangy/sour, like something had gone wrong in the fermentation process. The rich chocolate of the nose was hidden in the background, supplanted by this odd tang. How sad! Finish was an odd melange of flavors, many of which should not have been incorporated. BeerTunes called it one step above a drain pour and while I did not dislike it that much, there was something fundamentally wrong here.

woodychandler, Oct 13, 2012

Phi_Psi_OR_Beta, Jun 28, 2014

bernat1971, Jan 17, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

On tap at Browers in Fremont in Seattle, served in a pint glass.

A - Darker than coffee brown, appeared almost opaque in the bar lighting. Low-lying caramel brown head dissipated quickly.

S - Malts, smoke, coffee, and a hint of bannana from the yeast. Didn't smell the hops too much.

T - This is where this beer really shines. Hopped very nicely in a way that doesn't clash with the roasted grain flavors. Starts out malty, hits you with some charcoal smoke flavors, and finishes with dark chocolate in the back of the throat. Very smooth finish, especially for a porter and doesn't overstay its welcome. You wouldn't guess that this was an 8% beer, the alcohol's really under the radar. One of the best tasting porters I've ever tried.

M - Thick enough to remind you it's a porter, but surprisingly refreshing. Carbonation was a little low, but may be by design.

Overall: I'm not, in general, much of a fan of porters and rarely have more than 1 or 2 in a sitting. I had this beer on a nice sunny day (not really porter weather in my opinion) and found it so refreshing that I could have easily put down too many of them. If you're ever in Tacoma, I'd definitely reccommend giving this one a try. Here's hoping they expand to at least a few more places in Washington...

FatCaster, May 04, 2011

sanford_and_son, May 20, 2014

Donkster46, Aug 09, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -55.8%

johnnyboy76, Jul 17, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance- Pours up a bunch of head which is pretty expansive and looks to have decent retention. Actually, the retention is more than decent- it's obnoxious. The head is a medium beige while the body is an opaque, dark chocolate black. The lacing is mainly perforated sheeting.

Nose- Not a lot of complexity or presence. I get mostly roasted notes with tiny hints of chocolate and coffee. I was thinking that it might need to open up more but I think that this might be all there is to this beer's nose. Swirling reveals nothing except perhaps a light creaminess.

Taste- Does not start off well as the front consists of that sour sweet taste that often accompanies coffee. I like coffee in beer but that acrid note is a big flaw to my palate. This is followed by a good amount of coffee which then is followed by another sour note (this one is a little more metallic.) I can't say that I am enjoying this beer at the moment- it's a little messy but not in a good way. Slight fruitiness that has an aspect of cherry but it does not seem intentioned. If so, it does not mesh well with this beer. The disagreeable notes of the flavor profile are too prominent for me to recommend this beer in anyway. It is below average but not quite BMC bad. Tiny bits of bubblegum don't help.

Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy bodied with way too much carbonation. Fairly carbonic in fact. Has some grittiness on the finish.

Drinkability- Messy with off flavors and a harsh mouthfeel- what do you think? At least it hides the 8% well.

Overall- Below average beer. It could have been an average to above average beer but there are too many flaws. I would recommend you pass on this beer.

artoolemomo, Nov 21, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

I'm not the biggest porter guy in the world. But I really liked this one. Has good flavor, good smell and overall just a really solid beer. I would recommended to anyone, regardless if they are big into porters or not. What I love most about this beer is the 8% ABV. So you will only need a few of them to make you feel real good about the evening.

If you are in Tacoma, might as well give it a try. I know I really enjoyed it.

husky13836, Dec 09, 2012

Kopfschuss, Feb 24, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from 16oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: totally black color with a thin layer of dark tan foam. Head is pretty minimal despite a vigorous pour. Still, the color is great.

Smell: a heady mélange of chocolate, coffee, vegetal hops and alcohol. It really does punch the ticket of a decently-crafted imperial porter.

Taste: an overabundance of roasted malts makes this beer a bit on the acidic side, which I don't love. The coffee undertones are great, but there's an unwelcome bite here. Still, other aspects of the flavor are good.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decently smooth & silky mouthfeel. Carbonation is very low, so there's not much creaminess present.

Overall: this is an OK beer. I think the roasted malts were used a bit heavy-handedly, but if the brewers took this down a notch it might end up a really tasty beer.

flagmantho, Jun 23, 2012

camarocrazy67, Sep 06, 2014

FederalOC, Aug 18, 2014
1.9/5  rDev -44%

Viscous black with brown foamy head that dies very quickly. Heavy roasted aroma. Molasses and roasted malts. Medicinal alcohol all the way through. Sharp astringent feel and a very thin feel.

It didn’t smell bad but the flavor is just terrible. It seems to have some sort of adjunct to boost the alcohol in too high of a concentration or it may be not enough yeast was used. The feel was also thin with almost no carbonation. This is a perfect pairing in name and content for a terrible movie like “Red Tails”.

Bfarr, Jul 14, 2012