P-51 Porter - Wingman Brewers

P-51 PorterP-51 Porter

Wingman Brewers visit their website
Washington, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 04-22-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

Lots of ratings without any detail so I'm not sure what we can take from that. I historically haven't been a big porter drinker...that is until I found this beer. I really like how smooth it is and it doesn't feel overly heavy when you drink it. The beer seems to almost border between a porter and a stout which I really like. P-51 is almost stealth like in that it's 8% ABV, but yet it doesn't taste strong at all, this is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I am hooked on P-51, luckily I live in the Pacific Northwest so I can get all I want. Beer is like wine in that it is so personal with respect to what you like. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the other porter lovers consider to be top-notch porters, with one caveat...wimpy beers need not apply. Happy drinking and remember, what's good is what you like!

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

1.5/5  rDev -55.8%

3.74/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Reuben's Brew snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque in the glass. Nice two finger, fine light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with mild char, hints of chocolate. Flavor is well toasted malt, char, boiled down coffee and hints of cocoa; finishes with lightly charred dark malt, light grassy hops, somewhat stark. Medium bodied with hints of creaminess, a bit thin for the flavor. A decent well roasted porter, bordering on stout territory; the initial flavor is reasonably rich with toasted malt, but the finish leaves the char and hop bitterness a bit exposed. The ABV is fairly well covered. A decent, but not remarkable example of the style. I'd get it again in a pinch.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance- Pours up a bunch of head which is pretty expansive and looks to have decent retention. Actually, the retention is more than decent- it's obnoxious. The head is a medium beige while the body is an opaque, dark chocolate black. The lacing is mainly perforated sheeting.

Nose- Not a lot of complexity or presence. I get mostly roasted notes with tiny hints of chocolate and coffee. I was thinking that it might need to open up more but I think that this might be all there is to this beer's nose. Swirling reveals nothing except perhaps a light creaminess.

Taste- Does not start off well as the front consists of that sour sweet taste that often accompanies coffee. I like coffee in beer but that acrid note is a big flaw to my palate. This is followed by a good amount of coffee which then is followed by another sour note (this one is a little more metallic.) I can't say that I am enjoying this beer at the moment- it's a little messy but not in a good way. Slight fruitiness that has an aspect of cherry but it does not seem intentioned. If so, it does not mesh well with this beer. The disagreeable notes of the flavor profile are too prominent for me to recommend this beer in anyway. It is below average but not quite BMC bad. Tiny bits of bubblegum don't help.

Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy bodied with way too much carbonation. Fairly carbonic in fact. Has some grittiness on the finish.

Drinkability- Messy with off flavors and a harsh mouthfeel- what do you think? At least it hides the 8% well.

Overall- Below average beer. It could have been an average to above average beer but there are too many flaws. I would recommend you pass on this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours dark red/black with a small tan head.

Smell is roasty and malty.

Taste is odd, almost sour coffee. Licorice and a bit of nuts.

Slick mouthfeel and a bit of a sour after taste. Very interesting porter.

Not good, not bad, just middle of the road.

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

I'm not the biggest porter guy in the world. But I really liked this one. Has good flavor, good smell and overall just a really solid beer. I would recommended to anyone, regardless if they are big into porters or not. What I love most about this beer is the 8% ABV. So you will only need a few of them to make you feel real good about the evening.

If you are in Tacoma, might as well give it a try. I know I really enjoyed it.

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

BeerTunes sent this to me with his apologies in support of The CANQuest (TM). Apparently, he was not a big fan and hated to foist it on others, but he knows what a CANFan I am and shot some over to me in spite of his biases. Hey, CANned beer means never having to say you're sorry. I have yet to receive any CANdolences from Minhas B.C. and I am not holding my breath, either.

From the CAN: "Premium Imperial Porter"; "Brewed & CANned in Tacoma, WA"; "Authentic. Well-Crafted. Tacoma Ales."

I got an explosive Crack as beer came foaming out to greet me like a puppy happy to see its master. Filled to the rim, it were! I went too aggro on the Glug and I soon had beer everywhere and I was thankful that I had pulled napkins out of one of my seldom-worn jackets earlier today. The dense, massive, finger-and-a-half of head looked like chocolate milkshake. It was deep-brown and held up mightily until all of a sudden it gave up and fell like a souffle when the oven door is slammed. I do not think that I have ever seen anything like it. Once the Glu was complete, I was looking at a glassful of inky, deep-brown liquid with no light penetration except at the edges, which is how I could determine color. Nose was rich with scents of smoke and dark chocolate. I suddenly remembered the house in Montreal by the entrance to the Metro from the hotel where we stayed in 2002 for the Mondial de la Biere. It had experienced a fire the week before and the smoky odor hung in the air. They did not hold back on the roasted malts, that much is indisputable. My first draught from the glass left me bewildered. The mouthfeel was mighty thin and the taste was tangy/sour, like something had gone wrong in the fermentation process. The rich chocolate of the nose was hidden in the background, supplanted by this odd tang. How sad! Finish was an odd melange of flavors, many of which should not have been incorporated. BeerTunes called it one step above a drain pour and while I did not dislike it that much, there was something fundamentally wrong here.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »