Ace IPA - Wingman Brewers

Ace IPAAce IPA

Wingman Brewers visit their website
Washington, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.10% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 09-04-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by flagmantho:
2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from 16oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep orange hue with a touch of haze to the body and a light effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam.

Smell: interesting phenolic aroma comes up right away with bubble gum, band-aids and pine trees. Not sure if that last one is due to the yeast or due to the hops. Like earlier reviewers, I'm not sure what the intention of the brewer was here. It's not bad, but it's a little weird and I don't love it.

Taste: like the aroma, but with a hint of cidery quality, like maybe there was sugar added in the brewing process. Bitterness is kind of low considering the beer's overall size. It's got a kind of mediocre-homebrew feel to it, though it's not disgusting: I'd rather drink this than a whole slew of macros, but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and decent creaminess.

Overall: overall, this is a below-average IPA. I will not be going after this again unless there is some kind of reformulation.

1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

This really should be labeled as a White IPA or a Belgian IPA, not an American IPA. Not expecting this, I was taken aback when I first had a sip. I don't enjoy White IPAs and had no warning this is what I was expecting.

I really hope Wingman releases a more traditional American IPA because I'd love to support this local brewery, but for me, the taste is quite unappealing.

A: Orangish color with nice carbonation.

S: Immediately noticed a bit of a Belgiany scent

T: Shocking, not expecting a bread/wheat taste. Noticed a bit of banana I think?

M: More like a Hoegaarden mixed with an IPA.

O: Not very good.

On a side note, brewery and tap room were nice as was the brewer I talked with briefly. I'm looking forward to future releases, but really am waiting for a traditional IPA!

3.1/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Poured a reddish orange color with good carbonation and a little white cap

S: Plenty of citrus, almost a hint of spice, little booze on the nose

T: Citrus, light banana a bit of dry bittering, bubblegum feel, bready and weird

M: I thought the body was pretty on target. Very much a hybrid IPA

O: Not great, not bad.

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.51/5  rDev +5.7%

Acquired via trade from Donkster46 so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains hops, Belgian yeast, caramelized malts, some hops and some spice.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of Belgian yeast and a hearty malt character. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of caramel, citrus and a little pepper. The hops presence is decent for the style and provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, this is a decent beer to drink for a while.

3.04/5  rDev -8.4%

3.75/5  rDev +13%

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into the tulip and thought the foam looked nice enough. Hmmm.... kind of murky. Wiped the glass and it's still hazy. Took a sip. Then I noticed the floaties swarming in the glass. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

Watery body. Moderate hop burn with decent aromatics. Acidid with a malty base.

Glad I don't have to drink this stuff. From the 16 oz can purchased at 99 Bottles in Federal Way. The other two different Wingman brews that I tried in cans were spoiled. This one is just bad.
2.0 3.0 2.75 3.0 2.5

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

16oz can purchased at Huckleberry’s in Spokane for $2.99. I first saw this beer back in January when I was in a World Market in Olympia, but this was the first time I saw them available in my neck of the woods. On the label, which is different than the one pictured here on BA, it is called a "Premium India Pale Ale," rather than a Belgian IPA. FWIW, when I looked this up after I bought it earlier this week, I swear it was listed as a standard American IPA.

Poured into a Jones Radiator mug, this was an orangey-amber color, with a HUGE, white head that left lots and lots of lace and necessitated three separate pours.

The aroma was of citrusy and spicy hops. The spiciness was reminiscent of a Belgian IPA, but it didn’t strike me as being as strong.

Citrusy, but not massively so, and spicy but with the same caveat. It tasted like an easygoing, mellow version of a Belgian IPA. There was a bigger malt backbone that I would have expected. The finish was more muted than most IPAs.

Medium bodied, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Not bad, but odd. It’s relatively easy drinking for something labeled as having 83 IBUs. It’s sort of like what a session version of a Belgian IPA might taste like, but at the same time, the mouthfeel and body are a little high for something that would be sessioned. Of course, it’s abv percentage moves it out of the sessionable category entirely. I would drink this again for the right price, but even then, I’d probably pass on it in favor of any number of other IPAs.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »