Ride Again - Lucette Brewing Company

Ratings: 100 | Reviews: 24
Reviews by tone77:
3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, all this drinking and I am just starting to put a dent in this big ass box of beers from woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus and hops. Taste is hoppy, pine, citrus, bitter, tasty and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a flavorful and quality beer.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from 16oz can. Has a golden color with a two finger head that settles to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Relatively straight forward and balanced aroma of citrus hops and bready malt. Smells more of oranges rather then grapefruit. Has a bready malt foundation that I prefer in my pale ales. Slightly more hop forward in flavor than the aroma led on. Orange and orange rind flavor with hints of hay. Slightly bitter finish.

Not a big beer and is nicely carbonated. The best beer I have had from Lucette. Also a pretty good value with a 6-pack of pounders for $10.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a fluted tulip glass it pours a bright saturated orange with slowly rising carbonation. A finger of foam on top, with a halo of delicate lacing in the glass. Swirling rekindles a fine skim across the surface, but the foam fades away fairly quickly with a collar of foam around the edges.

Bright citrusy hop aroma, fresh and green, slightly dank.

Moderate hop bitterness, citrus peel flavors, light pale malt, and a resiny feel that sticks to the teeth. Light bodied and very drinkable. Reminds me of a certain local favorite, Daisy Cutter, though with a more citrus based hop profile. A nice hoppy session ale, on the level of Indeed Day Tripper.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

I had this on-tap at Devil's Advocate in Minneapolis. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a finger of creamy off white head. The head fades to a layer and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild but hoppy. The hops smell a bit green. I'm also getting just a hint of orange peel.

Taste: This beer has a very nice balance to it. Citrus peel hops with a grassy quality along with a nice toasted malt backbone. Slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a finish that's a bit dry.

Overall: I liked the balance and the hop profile to this beer. Very easy to drink, I would definitely have another.

4.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

poured 16oz can into snifter. Less than a month old since there is a limited supply that makes it to Madison.

A - Dark orange/rust with thick 2.5 finger white head with nice retention. Thick collar and a good amount of lacing.

S - Very well balanced. I get citrus, grapefruit, some orange pith, pine. Sweet bready malt and caramel.

T- It is resiny, with bitter citrus hops, mostly grapefruit. A sweeter bready and caramel malt brings the middle to a balance and it finishes with a pine bite and more grapefruit pith. Very well balanced.

M - Lighter body with a dry finish and good carbonation.

O - This is a very nice APA. And to think it is a six pack of 16oz cans for under $10. Ridiculous!

3.86/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours slightly hazed copper with a thin lasting head. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of citric and tropical fruits with bready background.

The taste is of citric fruits balanced by a firm pale malt backing. A pleasant mild bitter bite in the finish.

It is not quite chewy, but is firm and smooth. Medium-bodied with a nice texture.

A well-done, well-balanced, easy drinking APA!

4.34/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: beer had a golden reddish orange hue. Completely opaque but not cloudy. Foam was presentable but broke down quickly. Plenty of lacings.

Smell: very tropical and flora aroma. Picked up plenty pineapple.

Taste: very bitter with notes of grapefruit. I anticipated it would be sweet because of the fruity aromas, instead its very earthy, grassy and bitter. Absolutely no malty sweetness shines through; the hops are the centerpiece. It packs that very nice bitter punch while still tasting like an APA, not IPA.

Mouthfeel: very light bodied and crisp.

Overall: this is a beer I could drink everyday. I love how the aroma and flavors contrast each other yet still comes together. Even better, it comes in 16 oz cans and sold in 6 packs for less than ten dollars!

4.86/5  rDev +23.4%

Big Ups and Major Props to the fine fellows at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI for providing me with a CAN in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) during my most recnt visit!

From the CAN: "Craft beer, hand crafted"; "Friendly with a Glass"; "Lucette, sweetheart to Paul Bunyan, was at the core of the lumber industry that built Menomenie. Like our beer, her origins are steeped in mystery. One thing remains certain, Lucette's legend has yet to be fully told."; "Misfortune and adversity originate from many places. It's not the source of these missteps that matter, but how one responds to such situations. Misadventures have shaped the ideals and values we abide by. This beer exists today and more than ever remains an image of resilience and empowerment, the foundation of Lucette, existing within us all. [undersigned the four Cofounders]".

I was amused, while a student at Pitt, to hear of a West Virginia phrase, using the verb, "to ride" as in to give one a ride somewhere. I first heard a pretty cheerleader classmate use it with one of our classmates, a buff young man with a Dodge Charger in which he took great pride. "Hey, Mike, would you ride me after class in your car?" At this, all of us perked up and looked over! "Hell yeah, baby! I'd love to ride you!" Her, embarrassed, "No, I meant give me a ride. That's just the way we talk in my hometown. Sorry, Mike, I didn't meant to get your hopes up." Wild laughter ensued.

Hey, Lucette, I'm all set to ride you again, baby! I love your gingham blouse, your wide brown eyes, your ruby lips, your bared midriff, your Daisy Dukes and best of all, your bangin' hairdo (she has bangs). Let's go back amidst the hops bines and see what we're made of!

I pulled her top back with a loud Crack and looked around to see if anyone had heard us. I gave her an inverted Glug and she threw her head back in glee. A massive head soon appeared, dense, tawny and not going down any time soon. Color was an-oh-so-slightly hazy amber (SRM = 13 to 17). I leaned in for a sniff of her scent and was rewarded with an oily, pine-like smell as if she had rubbed fresh hops on herself. Oh my! I drank deeply of her, allowing her voluminous body to fill my mouth, rolling her around on my tongue, feeling her luxurious sensuality as best I could. She was quite tasty, earthy with a pine-like mintiness that put me in mind of digging a hole in a pine forest. She returned my favors with a heavy dose of hops on the finish, leaving me breathless and astounded. Schlitz used to have the advertising tagline: "Just a kiss of the hops." Bump that action, Daddy-O! Lucette was giving me a French Kiss of the hops and I was totally digging her, man. Spent, I luxuriated in the afterglow, fondly fondling her CAN. Now, this is how beer should be!

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

back visiting the folks in wisco. where i live, i ride my bike to russian river brewery. this beer reminds me of lagunitas pale ale which occupies a middle ground between a pale ale and an ipa. very clean. solid beer. I also tasted the rush river ipa style beer and the new glarus no coast pale ale. All beers are excellent! But this one stood out to me in comparison to my spoiled north bay palate.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A- pours an orange copper color, crystal clear. White head with good retention. Lacing is plentiful ringing the glass after each sip.

S- Big balanced grapefruit and pine and some mango. Malt comes through as well. Hops are very northwest.

T- starts out with pine and grapefruit along with some breadiness and mango notes. The finish is very hoppy, oily and drying but clean. Long finish.

M- light and appropriate carbonation is pleasing on the palette.

O- great American pale that is a great representation of the style: both hoppy and balanced, resulting in a drinkable offering. Excellent.

Re-reviewed and updated notes on 2.25.12

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can into a pint glass (16oz 6 pick for $8.50..WUUUTTTT????)

A - Body is pretty deep in color for an APA, a shade left of copper. Head is quite impressive - VERY stiff, with lacing sticking all the way to the finish.

S - Hops forward. I am a bit apprehensive to proprietary hop blends, but I feel like this one provides a great profile. Pine resin is there but it is balanced equally by some tart citrus.

T - Much like the nose, although the malt shows its face here as well. The bread dough and soft caramel hold tight to the finish while the hops bring home the mild citrus and faint fruitiness. This is what an APA should strive to be.

M - Carbonation is fair, on par with what I would expect for a pale ale. Body i quite viscous for a ~5% ABV, which I appreciate

O - I've been quite impressed with other Lucette beers I've tried, and this one is no exception. Quite an impressive APA from a small brewery, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Lucette. I can see Lucette making waves in the Midwest craft beer scene someday.

4.02/5  rDev +2%

This beer pours a hazy orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a nice cap of foam that leaves rings of lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit, tangerine and hibiscus. It is quite pungent. The taste has the same grapefruit and tangerine qualities, but with a significant floral character as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, this is a nice APA that I would happily drink again.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Fairly clear glowing orange golden color with a average off white head. Nice lacing.

S: Nice citrus, floral and slight tropical hops mixed with a nice pale, bready, carmel malt.

T: Really nice balance of citrus, grapefruit, ever so slight tropical/sweet hops with a nice malt backbone. The carmel/bready malt comes through a bit more on the backend and the finish is a bit dry with a nice mild hop bitterness.

M: On the lighter side of medium, average carbonation. Nice.

O: A really nice pale ale with good drinkability. Easy to drink, yet just complex and balanced enough to keep you coming back. Someone at Lucette said this is the same beer as Easy Rider, just rebranded now that it is in cans. I do remember Easy Rider being a bit sweeter with more tropical fruit flavors, though this is still really good and $10 a six pack tallboys is hard to beat.

4.02/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Valley Tap in Apple Valley.
This reminded me a lot of Summit EPA. Strong and firm malt backing with clear hop (goodness) in aroma, taste and extended bitterness. On the darker side for color but poured with a nice head. Nice malt flavors with a crackling malt flavor (or is it the combination of hops and malts) but I really liked . Good solid drinking APA.

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%

64 oz growler purchased at the Fire House in Eau Claire during the waning days of Directional Downs 2011. Chris and I bellied up for a few pints and left with this local brew, which I appear to be the first to rate. I'll attempt to do right by her.

Pours a light orange with a nice head retention and significant lacing. When backlit by the summer sun the middle of the glass shows a consistent stream of tiny bubbles. A nice looking APA.

Smell is malt forward. Sourdough bread, pale malts in the form of crackers, and fair orange and pine. Hard to determine how long this has been on tap and the question never really crossed my mind until I sat down on the deck and cracked the top.

Mildly bitter, faintly orange, and grassy. Sourdough maltiness globs on tight and rides through the entire way. Finishes dry.

Creamy mouthfeel ends in a lingering dryness. Overall this is a nice local APA that I would drink again. I hope Lucette has a long successful run as a welcomed addition to the local beer scene.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy can, no clear canning date. Poured into a snifter 5/12/2014.

A- Slightly hazy & dark copper body, a bit darker than expected, with a two finger white head, some lacing.

S- Spent grains with a nice sweet caramel flavour, a nice stone fruit bite, some citrus and pine. Nice hop flavours, but overall not very aromatic in strength.

F- Caramel, grapefruit, tangerines, pine bitterness on the backend. Not complex but certainly hop-forward with a solid balance.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation. Mildly bitter pine aftertaste that complements an otherwise dry finish.

O- Decent pale ale. In terms of local (to Madison, Wisconsin) beers, I definitely prefer Hopalicious by a good margin, especially as they both sell at a cheaper price point. Still, its canned format makes it a nice option for a nice cookout or trip to the beach.

4.65/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light amber bordering on a orange with a half finger of head

Smell is citrus, bready, lemon and even a little lime,

Taste is a unreal balance between malt and hops, citrus followed by bready malts and so it goes, orange and lemon followed by a nice bready character which finishes with a slight piney dryness.

Mouthfeel is medium light with adequate carbonation

Well is comes in 6 packs of Pints cans!! No better system then that!

I can not fault this one really at all, everything a APA should be, perfect balance between hops and malt, really nice, would love to brew a clone of this bad boy, really great stuff here!

16 0z pounder pours a cloudy medium amber with decent head and lacing. Nose has plenty of floral and citrus notes, with peaches. Taste of tangerine, pine, and floral hops. Nicely carbonated, medium finish, nicely bittered aftertaste that begs for another sip. Some breweries would probably call this a "session IPA", but not knowing a thing before about this brewery before I tried this beer, I must say I'm impressed. A nicely balanced sessionable hoppy pale ale.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- orange-golden with thick white head, recedes down a bit, but has nice retention, leaves nice lace

S- very well balanced. I get citrus, but more sweet citrus than bitter ie oranges more than grapefruit, some orange pith, bready malt, crystal malt sweetness

T- Nice bitter hop flavor, balanced well with malt backbone. Dry finish. Very well balanced.

M- very dry finish, nice amount of carbonation to make this very drinkable. Bitterness sticks to side of tongue and back of throat, cut slightly by malt flavor.

O- very drinkable pale ale. God-send for somebody who is getting sick of being blasted with hops and unbalanced pale ales.

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Though I've had them mostly on tap, Lucette is moving towards one of those breweries who I'll try just about anything from. Pale Ale? In 16 oz. cans? Reasonable price? Done. One for me, one for my wife.

Pour is a nice, sunny (well, I can imagine I remember what the sun looks like) orange, filtered, looks very pale-like. Nose works like a subsistence farmer, some of the strongest floral hops I can recall sniffing, pale malt backing peels off, spare spices. Like.

Ride Again rolls over a well-traveled highway; the hot promise of the nose doesn't quite translate to the taste. Floral hops are only slightly bitter (still under 20, probably), & mingled easily with the pale malts on the tongue. Vague spices resolve into a more sinister batch of citrus. Easy to drink, this one should go down well on a hot day.

Nice beer that really started with a bang; if Lucette could can that smell, they'd have a stunner. As is a very good beer that I really warmed to as I worked through the glass.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

A-Golden coored...nice white head and lacing on glass.

S-Pretty malty on the aroma....nice....toasted caramel...also some nice floral hop notes mix in gently....

T-A balanced APA that drinks real nicely...nice malty front to this but the floral hops really lend a nice touch.

M-Maybe a bit overcarbonated...body seems a bit light in the shorts....

O-If you are rating this I suggest drinking a couple first as this really is growing on me as I type this. I thought this had more hoppiness when I had it on tap about a year ago but I'm getting some tasting hop burps right now so it's not like this is lacking...It's certainly not a hop bomb but I love the balance and drinkability of this...very nice sessionable pale ale

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber, good head.

Smell: Caramel and citrus, a little bit of spiciness.

Taste: Moderate caramel and toffee flavors, balanced by a citrus rind bitterness.

Overall: Picked up a six pack as I've liked other Lucette beers. Wasn't as pleased with this one as the others, it leans a little too much to the English pale side rather than APA in my opinion. A little more malty than hoppy. It's ok.

Easy Rider poured a darker copper color, with a lacy head that dispates near the end. The smell was a bit floral from the hops. The taste also was rather floral, and rather dry, a good amount of bitterness. I found this easier to drink, and very nice carbonation. Overall I found this a very good APA, very enjoyable.

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Finger-width of foam. Coppery in color, and somewhat cloudy. Only a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Very hoppy smell where floral hops seemed to dominate.

Taste: Less assertive floral hop taste and more on the bitter side with some grass notes with a hint of pine and maybe a bit of grapefruit. Also a great malt flavor in the background. Nice refreshing taste.

Mouth feel: Very lightly carbonated, light to medium mouth feel with a dry finish.

Very enjoyable beer!