Ride Again - Lucette Brewing Company

Ride AgainRide Again

Lucette Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BarrytheBear on 06-14-2011)

spycow, Oct 11, 2014

nmann08, Jan 05, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a fluted tulip glass it pours a bright saturated orange with slowly rising carbonation. A finger of foam on top, with a halo of delicate lacing in the glass. Swirling rekindles a fine skim across the surface, but the foam fades away fairly quickly with a collar of foam around the edges.

Bright citrusy hop aroma, fresh and green, slightly dank.

Moderate hop bitterness, citrus peel flavors, light pale malt, and a resiny feel that sticks to the teeth. Light bodied and very drinkable. Reminds me of a certain local favorite, Daisy Cutter, though with a more citrus based hop profile. A nice hoppy session ale, on the level of Indeed Day Tripper.

emerge077, Jun 09, 2013

XmnwildX12, Dec 09, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -1%

I had this on-tap at Devil's Advocate in Minneapolis. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a finger of creamy off white head. The head fades to a layer and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild but hoppy. The hops smell a bit green. I'm also getting just a hint of orange peel.

Taste: This beer has a very nice balance to it. Citrus peel hops with a grassy quality along with a nice toasted malt backbone. Slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a finish that's a bit dry.

Overall: I liked the balance and the hop profile to this beer. Very easy to drink, I would definitely have another.

oline73, Oct 04, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Big Ups and Major Props to the fine fellows at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI for providing me with a CAN in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) during my most recnt visit!

From the CAN: "Craft beer, hand crafted"; "Friendly with a Glass"; "Lucette, sweetheart to Paul Bunyan, was at the core of the lumber industry that built Menomenie. Like our beer, her origins are steeped in mystery. One thing remains certain, Lucette's legend has yet to be fully told."; "Misfortune and adversity originate from many places. It's not the source of these missteps that matter, but how one responds to such situations. Misadventures have shaped the ideals and values we abide by. This beer exists today and more than ever remains an image of resilience and empowerment, the foundation of Lucette, existing within us all. [undersigned the four Cofounders]".

I was amused, while a student at Pitt, to hear of a West Virginia phrase, using the verb, "to ride" as in to give one a ride somewhere. I first heard a pretty cheerleader classmate use it with one of our classmates, a buff young man with a Dodge Charger in which he took great pride. "Hey, Mike, would you ride me after class in your car?" At this, all of us perked up and looked over! "Hell yeah, baby! I'd love to ride you!" Her, embarrassed, "No, I meant give me a ride. That's just the way we talk in my hometown. Sorry, Mike, I didn't meant to get your hopes up." Wild laughter ensued.

Hey, Lucette, I'm all set to ride you again, baby! I love your gingham blouse, your wide brown eyes, your ruby lips, your bared midriff, your Daisy Dukes and best of all, your bangin' hairdo (she has bangs). Let's go back amidst the hops bines and see what we're made of!

I pulled her top back with a loud Crack and looked around to see if anyone had heard us. I gave her an inverted Glug and she threw her head back in glee. A massive head soon appeared, dense, tawny and not going down any time soon. Color was an-oh-so-slightly hazy amber (SRM = 13 to 17). I leaned in for a sniff of her scent and was rewarded with an oily, pine-like smell as if she had rubbed fresh hops on herself. Oh my! I drank deeply of her, allowing her voluminous body to fill my mouth, rolling her around on my tongue, feeling her luxurious sensuality as best I could. She was quite tasty, earthy with a pine-like mintiness that put me in mind of digging a hole in a pine forest. She returned my favors with a heavy dose of hops on the finish, leaving me breathless and astounded. Schlitz used to have the advertising tagline: "Just a kiss of the hops." Bump that action, Daddy-O! Lucette was giving me a French Kiss of the hops and I was totally digging her, man. Spent, I luxuriated in the afterglow, fondly fondling her CAN. Now, this is how beer should be!

woodychandler, Sep 08, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

KAF, Jul 17, 2014
3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, all this drinking and I am just starting to put a dent in this big ass box of beers from woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus and hops. Taste is hoppy, pine, citrus, bitter, tasty and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a flavorful and quality beer.

tone77, Sep 23, 2013

A-Golden coored...nice white head and lacing on glass.

S-Pretty malty on the aroma....nice....toasted caramel...also some nice floral hop notes mix in gently....

T-A balanced APA that drinks real nicely...nice malty front to this but the floral hops really lend a nice touch.

M-Maybe a bit overcarbonated...body seems a bit light in the shorts....

O-If you are rating this I suggest drinking a couple first as this really is growing on me as I type this. I thought this had more hoppiness when I had it on tap about a year ago but I'm getting some tasting hop burps right now so it's not like this is lacking...It's certainly not a hop bomb but I love the balance and drinkability of this...very nice sessionable pale ale

ZAP, Aug 07, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Though I've had them mostly on tap, Lucette is moving towards one of those breweries who I'll try just about anything from. Pale Ale? In 16 oz. cans? Reasonable price? Done. One for me, one for my wife.

Pour is a nice, sunny (well, I can imagine I remember what the sun looks like) orange, filtered, looks very pale-like. Nose works like a subsistence farmer, some of the strongest floral hops I can recall sniffing, pale malt backing peels off, spare spices. Like.

Ride Again rolls over a well-traveled highway; the hot promise of the nose doesn't quite translate to the taste. Floral hops are only slightly bitter (still under 20, probably), & mingled easily with the pale malts on the tongue. Vague spices resolve into a more sinister batch of citrus. Easy to drink, this one should go down well on a hot day.

Nice beer that really started with a bang; if Lucette could can that smell, they'd have a stunner. As is a very good beer that I really warmed to as I worked through the glass.

maximum12, May 22, 2013
4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer pours a hazy orange color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a nice cap of foam that leaves rings of lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit, tangerine and hibiscus. It is quite pungent. The taste has the same grapefruit and tangerine qualities, but with a significant floral character as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, this is a nice APA that I would happily drink again.

KarlHungus, Nov 10, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 16oz can. Has a golden color with a two finger head that settles to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Relatively straight forward and balanced aroma of citrus hops and bready malt. Smells more of oranges rather then grapefruit. Has a bready malt foundation that I prefer in my pale ales. Slightly more hop forward in flavor than the aroma led on. Orange and orange rind flavor with hints of hay. Slightly bitter finish.

Not a big beer and is nicely carbonated. The best beer I have had from Lucette. Also a pretty good value with a 6-pack of pounders for $10.

morimech, Jun 23, 2013

TX-Badger, Jul 21, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Valley Tap in Apple Valley.
This reminded me a lot of Summit EPA. Strong and firm malt backing with clear hop (goodness) in aroma, taste and extended bitterness. On the darker side for color but poured with a nice head. Nice malt flavors with a crackling malt flavor (or is it the combination of hops and malts) but I really liked . Good solid drinking APA.

garymuchow, Sep 22, 2014

Canada_Dan, Mar 26, 2014

mklisz, Nov 12, 2014

CoryR, Jul 06, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy can, no clear canning date. Poured into a snifter 5/12/2014.

A- Slightly hazy & dark copper body, a bit darker than expected, with a two finger white head, some lacing.

S- Spent grains with a nice sweet caramel flavour, a nice stone fruit bite, some citrus and pine. Nice hop flavours, but overall not very aromatic in strength.

F- Caramel, grapefruit, tangerines, pine bitterness on the backend. Not complex but certainly hop-forward with a solid balance.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation. Mildly bitter pine aftertaste that complements an otherwise dry finish.

O- Decent pale ale. In terms of local (to Madison, Wisconsin) beers, I definitely prefer Hopalicious by a good margin, especially as they both sell at a cheaper price point. Still, its canned format makes it a nice option for a nice cookout or trip to the beach.

Stevedore, May 13, 2014