Ride Again - Lucette Brewing Company

Ride AgainRide Again

Lucette Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BarrytheBear on 06-14-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

GringoKid, Sep 21, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

drewfull, Sep 15, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Big Ups and Major Props to the fine fellows at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI for providing me with a CAN in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) during my most recnt visit!

From the CAN: "Craft beer, hand crafted"; "Friendly with a Glass"; "Lucette, sweetheart to Paul Bunyan, was at the core of the lumber industry that built Menomenie. Like our beer, her origins are steeped in mystery. One thing remains certain, Lucette's legend has yet to be fully told."; "Misfortune and adversity originate from many places. It's not the source of these missteps that matter, but how one responds to such situations. Misadventures have shaped the ideals and values we abide by. This beer exists today and more than ever remains an image of resilience and empowerment, the foundation of Lucette, existing within us all. [undersigned the four Cofounders]".

I was amused, while a student at Pitt, to hear of a West Virginia phrase, using the verb, "to ride" as in to give one a ride somewhere. I first heard a pretty cheerleader classmate use it with one of our classmates, a buff young man with a Dodge Charger in which he took great pride. "Hey, Mike, would you ride me after class in your car?" At this, all of us perked up and looked over! "Hell yeah, baby! I'd love to ride you!" Her, embarrassed, "No, I meant give me a ride. That's just the way we talk in my hometown. Sorry, Mike, I didn't meant to get your hopes up." Wild laughter ensued.

Hey, Lucette, I'm all set to ride you again, baby! I love your gingham blouse, your wide brown eyes, your ruby lips, your bared midriff, your Daisy Dukes and best of all, your bangin' hairdo (she has bangs). Let's go back amidst the hops bines and see what we're made of!

I pulled her top back with a loud Crack and looked around to see if anyone had heard us. I gave her an inverted Glug and she threw her head back in glee. A massive head soon appeared, dense, tawny and not going down any time soon. Color was an-oh-so-slightly hazy amber (SRM = 13 to 17). I leaned in for a sniff of her scent and was rewarded with an oily, pine-like smell as if she had rubbed fresh hops on herself. Oh my! I drank deeply of her, allowing her voluminous body to fill my mouth, rolling her around on my tongue, feeling her luxurious sensuality as best I could. She was quite tasty, earthy with a pine-like mintiness that put me in mind of digging a hole in a pine forest. She returned my favors with a heavy dose of hops on the finish, leaving me breathless and astounded. Schlitz used to have the advertising tagline: "Just a kiss of the hops." Bump that action, Daddy-O! Lucette was giving me a French Kiss of the hops and I was totally digging her, man. Spent, I luxuriated in the afterglow, fondly fondling her CAN. Now, this is how beer should be!

woodychandler, Sep 08, 2013

16 0z pounder pours a cloudy medium amber with decent head and lacing. Nose has plenty of floral and citrus notes, with peaches. Taste of tangerine, pine, and floral hops. Nicely carbonated, medium finish, nicely bittered aftertaste that begs for another sip. Some breweries would probably call this a "session IPA", but not knowing a thing before about this brewery before I tried this beer, I must say I'm impressed. A nicely balanced sessionable hoppy pale ale.

coldriver, Sep 08, 2013

xmorgan, Aug 30, 2013

sparx1100, Aug 25, 2013

heytomcat, Aug 24, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

Fluffmeister, Aug 23, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

sacrelicio, Aug 11, 2013

A-Golden coored...nice white head and lacing on glass.

S-Pretty malty on the aroma....nice....toasted caramel...also some nice floral hop notes mix in gently....

T-A balanced APA that drinks real nicely...nice malty front to this but the floral hops really lend a nice touch.

M-Maybe a bit overcarbonated...body seems a bit light in the shorts....

O-If you are rating this I suggest drinking a couple first as this really is growing on me as I type this. I thought this had more hoppiness when I had it on tap about a year ago but I'm getting some tasting hop burps right now so it's not like this is lacking...It's certainly not a hop bomb but I love the balance and drinkability of this...very nice sessionable pale ale

ZAP, Aug 07, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- orange-golden with thick white head, recedes down a bit, but has nice retention, leaves nice lace

S- very well balanced. I get citrus, but more sweet citrus than bitter ie oranges more than grapefruit, some orange pith, bready malt, crystal malt sweetness

T- Nice bitter hop flavor, balanced well with malt backbone. Dry finish. Very well balanced.

M- very dry finish, nice amount of carbonation to make this very drinkable. Bitterness sticks to side of tongue and back of throat, cut slightly by malt flavor.

O- very drinkable pale ale. God-send for somebody who is getting sick of being blasted with hops and unbalanced pale ales.

TWHartman, Jul 27, 2013

HardWater, Jul 08, 2013

CoryR, Jul 06, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

elec, Jul 05, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 16oz can. Has a golden color with a two finger head that settles to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Relatively straight forward and balanced aroma of citrus hops and bready malt. Smells more of oranges rather then grapefruit. Has a bready malt foundation that I prefer in my pale ales. Slightly more hop forward in flavor than the aroma led on. Orange and orange rind flavor with hints of hay. Slightly bitter finish.

Not a big beer and is nicely carbonated. The best beer I have had from Lucette. Also a pretty good value with a 6-pack of pounders for $10.

morimech, Jun 23, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a fluted tulip glass it pours a bright saturated orange with slowly rising carbonation. A finger of foam on top, with a halo of delicate lacing in the glass. Swirling rekindles a fine skim across the surface, but the foam fades away fairly quickly with a collar of foam around the edges.

Bright citrusy hop aroma, fresh and green, slightly dank.

Moderate hop bitterness, citrus peel flavors, light pale malt, and a resiny feel that sticks to the teeth. Light bodied and very drinkable. Reminds me of a certain local favorite, Daisy Cutter, though with a more citrus based hop profile. A nice hoppy session ale, on the level of Indeed Day Tripper.

emerge077, Jun 09, 2013

pjsikorsky, Jun 03, 2013

Minn_Joe, May 31, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Fairly clear glowing orange golden color with a average off white head. Nice lacing.

S: Nice citrus, floral and slight tropical hops mixed with a nice pale, bready, carmel malt.

T: Really nice balance of citrus, grapefruit, ever so slight tropical/sweet hops with a nice malt backbone. The carmel/bready malt comes through a bit more on the backend and the finish is a bit dry with a nice mild hop bitterness.

M: On the lighter side of medium, average carbonation. Nice.

O: A really nice pale ale with good drinkability. Easy to drink, yet just complex and balanced enough to keep you coming back. Someone at Lucette said this is the same beer as Easy Rider, just rebranded now that it is in cans. I do remember Easy Rider being a bit sweeter with more tropical fruit flavors, though this is still really good and $10 a six pack tallboys is hard to beat.

herman77, May 24, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Though I've had them mostly on tap, Lucette is moving towards one of those breweries who I'll try just about anything from. Pale Ale? In 16 oz. cans? Reasonable price? Done. One for me, one for my wife.

Pour is a nice, sunny (well, I can imagine I remember what the sun looks like) orange, filtered, looks very pale-like. Nose works like a subsistence farmer, some of the strongest floral hops I can recall sniffing, pale malt backing peels off, spare spices. Like.

Ride Again rolls over a well-traveled highway; the hot promise of the nose doesn't quite translate to the taste. Floral hops are only slightly bitter (still under 20, probably), & mingled easily with the pale malts on the tongue. Vague spices resolve into a more sinister batch of citrus. Easy to drink, this one should go down well on a hot day.

Nice beer that really started with a bang; if Lucette could can that smell, they'd have a stunner. As is a very good beer that I really warmed to as I worked through the glass.

maximum12, May 22, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light amber bordering on a orange with a half finger of head

Smell is citrus, bready, lemon and even a little lime,

Taste is a unreal balance between malt and hops, citrus followed by bready malts and so it goes, orange and lemon followed by a nice bready character which finishes with a slight piney dryness.

Mouthfeel is medium light with adequate carbonation

Well is comes in 6 packs of Pints cans!! No better system then that!

I can not fault this one really at all, everything a APA should be, perfect balance between hops and malt, really nice, would love to brew a clone of this bad boy, really great stuff here!

nickapalooza86, May 18, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

browniewithnuts, May 13, 2013

jreindl, May 06, 2013

gatornation, May 05, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber, good head.

Smell: Caramel and citrus, a little bit of spiciness.

Taste: Moderate caramel and toffee flavors, balanced by a citrus rind bitterness.

Overall: Picked up a six pack as I've liked other Lucette beers. Wasn't as pleased with this one as the others, it leans a little too much to the English pale side rather than APA in my opinion. A little more malty than hoppy. It's ok.

Mdog, May 04, 2013