Follow our progress ...

2x4 DIPA2x4 DIPA

Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing
Wyoming, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Dear (insert your name here), This is the best damn DIPA in the world. So if you were even considering sulking today, think again. Our 2x4 Double IPA is the Gold Winner of numerous note-worthy awards, including the Alpha King Championship; two years in a row and counting. You'd be crazy not to drink this. So close your eyes, open up, and experience the mad floral, citrusy, and clean taste of hop talent. If you don't love it, no...... you will.

100+ IBU

Added by Bitterbill on 10-19-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 248
3.28/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My Missus bought me this for some reason. When I drank it I looked up and there was a hole in the sky and a breezy eyed angel was beckoning to me and singing Queen "We are the champions" as she poured a goblet of grapefruit juice over my half naked body. I was weeping and shaking and I though I saw my great grandma in the bleachers.

Just joking. I did drink this beer and my wife did buy it for me. I put a meat thermometer in it until it read 50 degrees, hoping it would taste better and justify the $3.50 or whatever she paid for it. It did not taste any better having drunk it at the CORRECT temperature ----- whatever that might be. Overall this beer is fine. It has a sort of full mouth feel, like drinking a mouth full of sea water in accidentally when you are drunk and have tried to pee into the ocean but got knocked over by a goddamn wave of some kind. As for the mango, kiwi, grapefruit, tropical grass, pine cone action ------- sure, if you think so.
I gave this a pretty high rating, since this thing is running 96 or so ----- World Class! I would hate to miss out on the band wagon...... high rate beers get high ratings and all that. Wait, I am am going to get my meat thermometer out again -----53.3 degrees and tastes like like an guava that I hid in my underwear drawer for later and then just found and ate anyway, even thought I had to scrape off a bit of mold.
Beware you people I am just LEARNING. Clearly the bestest thing about this beer is the 9.9% alcohol. That means I am really only paying $1.75 instead of $3.50 right ------ Budweiser at my local Safeway costs $7.00 a sixer now, so that is $1.14 a beer. Wait ----- paid too much for this GOD like elixir. I am going back to LAGUNITAS. Let it roll. Like a JELLY.

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE - Opaque, light, hazy, 3FH.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, fruit, pine, grass, citrus, floral, sweet.

TASTE - Hops, sweet, pine, nutty, citrus.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Dry, smooth, clean, light, effervescent, crisp, refreshing.

VALUE - $3.50 for a 12-oz. can. Decent.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Very chuggable!

4.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be the smoothest and most easy to drink DIPA you try. So fruity and tropical in aroma and taste makes it go down smooth. Finishes with a subtle fruit on the tongue but very mellow really. As the can says, this is the best DIPA you can try so do it!

4.24/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can. Pours clean deep golden, two finger white head fades slowly, lots of lace. Bready aroma, touch of ripe fruit. Sweet malt and piney floral hops, booziness throughout. Slick oily mouthfeel. This one is a bit sweet and boozy, could use a little more hop punch, but overall very good.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear golden color with a small foamy white head that has short retention before settling into a ring around the edge. Smells of fresh citrus fruit, pine and grass. Tastes of orange peel and grapefruit, along with mango and guava, and line. Underlying light bready malt. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, foamy finish. Very tasty DIPA

4.09/5  rDev -7.9%

2016-05-29
12oz can poured in a shaker pint. No date I can see on the can, but the for pack was labeled 5/5/16.

Pours clear golden without much head out carbonation. Smell is tropical juicy, I think lots of pineapple.

Taste honeysuckle sweetness, tropical fruit, and some grapefruit rind bitterness. Bitterness builds pretty quickly, which is crucial for this beer.

Mouthfeel is much more effervescent than it looks. Overall, very good beer.

3.97/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's been quite a long time since I reviewed a beer on BeerAdvocate.

This beer is one I quite like and has become an obsession for Seattlites of late.

Pleasant malty aroma that hides the heat from the relatively high alcohol content. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel, wonderful lacing. I can see why this beer is so popular. Hopefully if I use this site some more I can expand my thoughts.

4.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

355 mL can obtained in a recent CANBIF; thanks to Farees for shipping this one to Ontario. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours a translucent orange-amber colour, topped with one finger of frothy white head that proceeds to fade off quickly over the next few minutes. A token amount of lace is produced, and a narrow, foamy collar remains. On the nose I am getting a mixture of toffee, pineapple, mango, peach and plum, alongside citrusy hints of mandarin orange and grapefruit. Quite piney as well, with notes of dank resin and a modest whiff of ethanol.

With the first sip, a relentless onslaught of hoppy goodness ensues. Notes of caramel/toffee are buried in the background, while flavours of orchard and tropical fruit wash across the tongue. Pineapple, papaya and mango, as well as peach and plum, supply a juicy sweetness to the profile that soon gives way to more citrusy, bitter, pithy flavours of grapefruit and orange. Big dank, piney, resiny bitterness and floral notes on the tail end that persist into a boozy-sweet aftertaste. Full-bodied, with restrained carbonation levels that gently nudge the palate, and a soft, slippery mouthfeel overall.

Final Grade: 4.35, an A grade. Melvin's 2x4 DIPA is everything I expect from and love about this style. Its wide range of tasty, fruity hop flavours dazzles the palate from start to finish, while the malt backing and boozy sweetness serve as a sturdy foundation that complements the hop bill perfectly. I don't know how fresh this can is, but it's definitely fresh enough. A fabulous beer that I would not hesitate to purchase - thanks again for benevolently including this awesome DIPA in that shipper.

4.09/5  rDev -7.9%

From a 12 oz can to a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated May 8, 2016. Multiple cans tasted.

A-The beer is nice and clear, and on the lighter side of the color spectrum for the style. Not much carbonation is visible, but a dense, tall head of sticky off-white foam hangs around the glass for a while. Looks like a IIPA should look.

S-The aroma is intense and on the bitter. Leafy pine notes, a good dose of alcohol heat, some orange, and a little bit of pineapple tropical flavor round out the hops. There is also some toffee and caramel aromas, and a medium sweetness that balances things nicely.

T-The taste is similar to the smell. The beer tends towards spicy, earthy, and bitter, rather than juicy or bright. Lots of pine and orange here, and I feel like I am getting close to onion and garlic. Again, a toffee sweetness provides some balance and a noticeable heat warms my stomach.

M-The body is heavier than average, but not overly syrupy. There is just a little stickiness that is mostly broken up by the smooth carbonation.

O-It is nice to see Melvin distributing to Colorado, but I have to say that the hype for this beer exceeded its value. Not saying it is bad by any stretch, and I will happily drink more, but I like other IIPAs better.

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy orange with a bubbly, beige head that invites you to take a sip. The head's bubbling is tight and well formed. Head retention is moderate, with good lacing. Aroma is hoppy with notes of resin, dank, pine, and citrus. The aroma remains balanced and invites you to take a sip. Oranges, citrus, resin, and pine notes form a hoppy, balanced flavor profile that is fun to sip on in almost any occasion. The flavor lasts a while with a bit of resin/pine hop notes sticking for a while afterwards. Mouth feel is medium-thick, with a sticky, residue component. Overall, this is a very fun beverage that is easy to drink. It's a pleasure to sniff and sip.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got on trade! Served at 7deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny 1/2" high white head that films out within a minute. Medium gold colour and filtered clear

S- Lots of hops here. Tons of dry hopping.

T- Traditional hops and malt base. A bit sweet. Not a lot of wet hops but they are there. Not bitter like I thought it would.

M- Sticky and sweet

O- Nice overall blend. Nothing sticks out at you including the heat. Will buy again.

Food Pairing

This nice brew went very well with....... Spicy stir fry!

Enjoy

4.81/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine, half finger white head with great retention and lacing. Hop aromas are distinct on opening and pouring. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus, dank and piney hops, lemon, orange, grapefruit and light tropical fruit. Smells really good. Flavor is well integrated caramel malt, resinous piney and citrus hops with some dankness, tropical and citrus fruit juice. Nice mildly estery light fruit and resinous piney and citrus hop finish with lingering fruity hop flavors. Great lightly creamy body and mouth feel. Like the last Melvin IPA I tried, the first thought is "smooth", the next is "how did they get these intense resinous hops to be smooth?". But there it is. Wonderful integration of malt and hops, awesome finish and lingering flavors that invite savoring. Alcohol well covered. Really a world class IPA and that's saying a lot in a world of incredible examples of this style. Highly recommended. Probably deserves a 10, but I'll be conservative.

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Slightly hazy pale gold color with a very frothy rocky head that takes a little while to dissipate a little bit of lacing but not too much.

S: Starts quite piney, but as it warms up a lot more citrus, and ripe tropical fruits plus some banana and light hints of toasted malt. Exactly how a DIPA should smell.

T: Lots of tropical fruit and banana and citrus. Piney bitterness comes in too. The bitterness is not overwhelming but it is definitely there. I notice very little alcohol for a beer of this abv.

F: Very creamy and easy drinking for the abv

O: One of the best DIPAs I have had.

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. Can
9.9% ABV

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden yellowish color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger white head, which also leaves some very nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, very nice sweetness, very nice citrus notes, very nice pine note. The taste is very nice hoppy, nice sweetness, citrusy, piney. Full/Medium body, ABV hidden very well, very nice chewyness, with a very nice dry/bitter finish. Overall, my 2nd from this brewery, and it KICKS ASS! Highly Recommended!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice white head and lacing, smell is all tropical fruit, and citrus with sweet caramel , taste is fantastic loads of citrus, and mango ,papaya, with a pine hop lingering, sweet malt and hops with slight bitterness makes this highly drinkable with the ABV, superb 2IPA here .

4.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz can. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a slightly cloudy medium orange body, one finger white head with good retention, lots of lacing on the contralateral side of the glass as I drink it. Medium collar. Smells of a big burst of grapefruit and pine with an equally big burst of caramel and sweet citrus, if that makes sense. Whoa. It's going to be a nice one, I can tell by just smelling it. Flavour is a huge burst of grapefruit and caramel with an equally strong kick of pine on the finish. It's complex enough for a hop-forward beer, but the malt and hops are both there in huge quantities, such that they don't balance each other out. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's what I like from a big IPA. No booziness at all, a big dry finish with a touch of toffee. Mouthfeel is full bodied, almost syrupy without being off-putting, a bit too easy to drink for a nearly 10% DIPA. I am not sure that this is a DIPA, it is almost straddling that border where it should be a triple IPA, and it is pretty much a great triple IPA to me at this point.

4.24/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can into an oversized tulip. But you probably already knew that. Glass of choice for me.

Pours a light to medium copper color but settles a tad lighter in the glass. Glowing with clarity and color. No carbonation to note. Tons of frothy head and lace. 5

Mmmmm. More of that pungent tropical fruit that I love. Spicy and resinous hops on top of that. A bit of a solvent boozy nose. I think Asterisk or the IPA have this beat on aroma, but it's still pretty nice. Gotta love all that fruitiness, unless of course you're tired of the fruit-bombed IPAs. I'm not. 4

Unriped mango is prominent in the flavor. Earthy and resinous hops flavors follow. Light bread, caramel and vanilla notes play with the tropical fruit. 4.25

This is pretty damn bitter and resinous. Aggressive. Seems to capture the viciousness of the meanest west coast IPAs while still presenting some of the juiciness to smooth things out. But alongside the bitterness is that spicy, prickly dryness that I associate with pineapple (and it has that flavor too!). There's a dank feel in there too. Plenty of sensations and all the while pretty damn drinkable although this is on the heavier side for any IPA or DIPA that I can think of. 4.25

Peeped the ABV and it's 9.9%. Jigga what? This is a beast. Given that and how fresh this is, I'm impressed how it's drinking. I've got a few more to get through and I think I'll revisit at various intervals as this could settle in some lovely ways. Right now it's drinking pretty freaking great.

4.03/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz can. Pours slightly hazy light golden orange with a huge creamy bubbly white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is lots of piney resiny hops with some dank fruit.

The flavor is tons of piney resiny dank hops with some sweet ripe tropical fruit and a big peppery bitter alcohol finish that lingers. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a monster hop bomb.

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright amber body crowned with a frothy, sticky, white head; lots of fine carbonation rising. Pine and spicy aroma; toasted grain notes edging through the hop smells. Gentle pale malt sweetness gives way to a solid wall of pleasant hop bitterness; crackers and honey with a black pepper spiciness. Heavy body with a gentle, well-rounded softness; dry finish.

A most amazing DIPA that gives little hint to its ABV content. It's gentle softness and subtle flavor belies the huge alcohol content yet doesn't back away from suggesting its big-beer qualities. This one could very well be dangerous because it is so drinkable and and tasty. Ah, you just gotta love experiencing such deftly crafted, high-quality brews. I never heard of Melvin Brewing prior to this, yet I can see doing a weekend run up to Jackson, WY just to sample more of their beers.

4.71/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On draught at the Keg & Cork in Casper.

Poured into a 10 ounce globe.

Arrives filled to max with minimal head of foam. Yes, I believe that to be a proper serving of a double digit DIPA.

The smell is all sorts of tropical fruit..mango pineapple. With an abundant sweetness from the malt. Smell is slightly boozy.

The taste. Yeah the taste. Tropical fruit glazes then sticks to my tongue. Youzza. There's still some of that grapefruit goodness mixed in with that ample malty character that I noted in the smell.

There IS a more than a hint of the alcohol in the taste; minor flaw. Tip: if you want to experience everything that this beer offers, swish it in your mouth.

Which brings me to the mouthfeel. Lightly carbonated near full bodied.

I have been bitchin to Melvin like forever to make their beers available to the rest of Wyoming. They just did and I couldn't be happier.

I've waited for ages to try this, and I was certainly not let down. Incredibly juicy hop profile featuring pine, multi-layered citrus and tropical fruits which are overlayed on a relatively light and powdery malt background. the overall effect is like a highly hopped, fruity marmalade, with the malt contributing a bit more sweetness than I had anticipated. The brew is beautifully balanced from star to remarkably lengthy finish. It's easy to taste why this flavor monster snagged two Alpha King championships in a row. This is the new bottled version, and I hear it's as good as the draft.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Albertsons. Pours out with huge frothy head, caramelly malt aroma. Taste follows with big, rich toffee flavors. And then there’s the hops, astringent, bitter, stinging, but not enough to detract from the malt. Beautiful!

4.63/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Type: 10-oz. draft
Glass: Plain teku (like) glass
From: Hamilton’s Tavern in South Park (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $9.00
Purchased: Feb. 4, 2016
Consumed: Feb. 4, 2016
Misc.: Release day and only bar in California featuring Melvin

Had never heard of this beer or Melvin Brewing until a few weeks ago when Nick texted me that Hamilton’s would be the only place in California for 2x4 day. Still wasn’t sold, but snuck out of work early to see what the fuss was about. Place was packed, but I was lucky to find a seat when two jokers left with the rush. A bit skeptical heading in, but hoping for something fantastic. Will be shorter review because of locations and atmosphere.

Tough to see at Hamilton’s, but poured an orangeish, pale, clear color with 1-to-2 fingers of frothy white head when I got it. Excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. Good retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled tropical notes, dank resin, Simcoe, Citra and floral. Hops I tell you. (Smell - 4.25)

Taste was so much better, getting Citra, grapefruit, floral, tropical, pineapple, dankness, resin (but not as much as the nose) and Simcoe. Could practically taste the pulp. Not boozy or bitter. Just awesome. (Taste - 4.75)

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, citrusy finish. Perfect for the style. (Feel - 5.00)

Just an awesome beer overall. Thanks for pointing this out, Nick! (Overall - 4.75)

4.63 | 100 | A

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

On tap at the Falling Rock. On the lighter side of orange with an ok head. Aroma is piney, definite west coast style IPA. Flavor is more of the same and reminds me a touch of Pliny the Elder. It does have a pronounced astringency and alcohol flavor but it is a really good DIPA. I'd like to sit down at home with a bottle to really give it an in-depth go-round.

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden yellow with a slight hop haze. The foam sticks around the edges nicely.

The aroma is very west - coast. Pine, resin, sticky sweet hops. Very Stone.

The taste is awesome. Big bitterness, resin, and sweet alcohol covers the palate. Has great body. Not too much citrus or stone fruit come through. Alcohol plays a bigger role in adding sweetness.

It ends pretty dry and bitter. Id say this is along the lines of Ruinten, but not as sweet and malt driven

Still very nice. Check it out of its on tap near you.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast