2x4 Quadruple Pale Ale - Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing

No picture.

Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing visit their website
Wyoming, United States

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 10-19-2010

Big big DIPA, this behemoth is loaded with Columbus, Centennial, Citra, Simcoe and some other secret hops for a well balanced 2x4 to the face. With an F.G of 23 and an SRM of 4-6, this beer is a heavy hitter, but doesn't have the super maltiness of most other DIPA's.

100+ IBU
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 18
Reviews by Siriusfisherman:
4.47/5  rDev -2%

L: Hazy yellow with a white creamy head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is good.

A: Huge citrusy/fruity hop notes, tropical, and some spicy/dank character. Not much in the way of malt character, maybe a touch of some neutral breadiness. The hops blast through everything. The hop character in the aroma is amazingly balanced and complex, the best smelling beer I have ever encountered.

T/M: The taste is similar to the aroma, with a big bitterness upfront, and a smooth progression into some intense and complex fruity/citrus hops. The malt adds a little breadiness, and helps in balancing the beer out, although this thing as all about hop flavor. The mouthfeel is light for the strength and does not get that resiny caramel malt character that some DIPAs get.

Overall, this is an incredible DIPA, I wish I could have it on a regular basis. The hops are explosive, complex, and balanced, the malt provides excellent support without ever becoming to sweet or invasive, and the bitterness is big and smooth.

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at the Falling Rock.

A bit hazier than I like, but the nose is full of hop danky goodness (like pine needles and mint) that's unlike most of its kind. Flavor follows the same path with a clean malt profile and medium, creamy body. And despite the high ABV and hop-focus it's surprisingly balanced and easy to throw down the neck hole; although the brewer recommended that I use a straw; no joke.

Glad I got a chance to try it.

My first ever beer review. Which is appropriate because this is the beer I've been waiting my whole life for. Smells like God just walked by. Tastes like tortured love. Punches like an innocent being dragged off to a life in the slammer. Hops? I guess it's hoppy. If by Hoppy you mean Holy Shi*t I can't believe this is in my mouth right now. The word BOOYAH was created to describe this beer. Run, don't walk, to Jackson Hole. Buy me some extra while you're there!

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a shaker pint on tap

A - Mostly clear pale straw with a 1 finger eggshell head with good froathy head retention and moderate lacing

S - Strong tropical and citrus fruits with a big emphasis on mango, grapefruit, apricots.

T - A nice balance of mild bitteness, touch of alcohol, and big tropical fruit notes with a suprising large malt presence. Most DIPA utilize yeast that process all the fermentable sugars to let the hops shine, but this beers seems to showcase the hops well while still staying pretty sweet. Despite the sweetness very palatable, I could drink this all day!

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, alcholol is ridiculously well hidden, I almost doubt the near 10% rating they have on this one.

O - Freaking amazing. One of the brewers was kind enough to chat it up with me and gave me a mini tour. Mad props, can't wait to come back to see their progress. Drink this beer and everything they have as you won't be dissappointed.

4.31/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap.

Nice look and head. Fine aroma, excellent taste and feel.

On par with the better Imperials available. If you can find it, don't pass it up.

A very nice Imperial IPA.

4.21/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer was too sweet and heavy for me.

Great hop and malt profiles though! 10.4% is very well hidden.

4.91/5  rDev +7.7%

This was my beer oasis. Locally, Jackson has some good breweries, but this beer blew me away. Heady Topper clone all the way, but my god, did they hit it on the nose!!!! Unreal DIPA goodness. If available, I would buy no other beer locally. If you are ever lucky enough to visit Jackson Hole Wyoming, this needs to be your first stop, before you go to your hotel or hit the mountain... stop here first and drink a 2X4!!!! Not only was this beer a flavor explosion, but the brew master and locals where top notch people. Yes, my 3 Floyds shirt did get me some street credit and a tour, but these guys are just the finest people you will meet. Thai Me Up and 2x4 are hidden treasures I will not soon forget! I have only tasted a beer this good once before and it came from that famous silver can! This beer is one for the angels!!!!

Hazy, but refractive, amber pour with one finger of rapidly diminishing head.

Juicy, remarkably complex aromas and flavors, featuring pine needles, grapefruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, and mango. Powdery texture that is neither too thick, nor too thin. This really wraps itself around the taste buds, and digs in for an incredibly lengthy finish, while somehow managing to also be very soft and gentle on the palate, as paradoxical as that may sound.

This is, without doubt, my new favorite DIPA.

4.16/5  rDev -8.8%

Served On-Tap 10.5oz

A – Pours a very bright and hazy yellow, thin white colored head that leaves behind nice enough lacing.

S – Notes of lemon, orange, pineapple, citrus, mango, sweet notes abound.

T – Light notes of pine and bitter hop, then comes big waves of juiciness, pineapple, mango, citrus, sweet overall.

M – Medium bodied, the amount of alcohol is very well hidden, drinks a bit thin somehow

O – Nice IIPA here, glad I got to try it, juicy, bright, sweet, nice balance.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Good stuff out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. This is a solid DIPA, that is easy to drink and can easily hold it's own against many of the other DIPAs out there. I would say this brew is in the top quarter of exceptional DIPAs.

A-attractive in her own right
T-Clean, unique, and complex character
M-I wouldn't deny her access in the future
O-I would definitely date her again

This brew doesn't fail to impress.

Update (05/12/15) - One of the best DIPAs around...these days.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Highly drinkable DIPA. Taste and feel conceal high ABV. Pours beautifully with good head and strong lacing. Big citrus, piney nose. In a class with Heady Topper and Julius.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-This "Quadruple Pale Ale" pours a relatively clear, soft orange hue. Head swells up and slowly exhales leaving lacing rings.

S-A symphony of luscious hoppy notes. Macerated tropical fruits and a full glass of grapefruit juice. Very impressed with the level of hoppiness in the nose. There is also a clear, thick maltiness that was of sweet bread and biscuit.

T-This was so interesting because at first sip I wasn't enamored all too much. Every sip after, I loved it more and more. The girth of the malt was at first too much, I thought. Then I noticed how well the hops and malt worked with one another. Big on both ends, with a huge, pressing tropical and citrusy hoppiness. It's honeyed sweetness complemented the aggressive hoppiness in a magnificent fashion. Unique, and although it took me a while to warm up to it, I ended up loving the flavor.

M-Big bodied. A bit creamy. Very bitter. Aftertaste lasts for days. Alcohol well hidden. Softer carbonation. Resiny.

O-Boy did this one grow on me. By the end of my glass I realized that it was one of the better beers I have had in quite some time. I was mostly unaware of this beer. Another brew I will probably never try again. Still very happy to try it at least once!

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 12 oz mug.

A: Dim lighting at the bar. Clear, dull orange with a little bit of lacing. Not much retention.

S: Holy hell. Huge tropical fruit notes. Just a juicy hop bomb.

T: Yup, hop bomb. Pineapples thrown around in my mouth. Huge beer at 10.5%, but they pull it off without a huge malt backbone. Normally beers of this ABV are much more malty. This is not. Dry as hell. A little heat from the alcohol but in no way is it unpleasant.

M: Good carbonation.

O: I was looking forward to trying this beer and it did not disappoint. Jackson, WY has a lot of special things going on.

NEVER taken the time to rate a beer before. This Pacific Northwest girl and wife of a homebrewer KNOWS her IPAs. There is not a single thing I dislike about this beer, other than it whoops your ass like an angry mother. I would marry it if I could. Aggressively bittered and dry hopped to eternity, if they made this into a perfume I would wear it. And the boys would come running. The only thing that tops the smell is the taste - complex, well-balanced, and smooth despite it's high ABV. If you try this beer and don't like it, you deserve to be punched in the face. Sip slowly, enjoy the taste of hop perfection and buy me one if you see the blonde girl sitting at the bar!

Pleasingly surprised by the hopiness melding away into a malty type sweetness with each drink. World Class to Universal Class easily obtainable with the
out of this world quality of the brew. Way to go Thai Man ...

4.24/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a quadruple pale ale huh? these names have juse become meaningless now, with no distinction whatsoever, i think its a bit absurd, but at least the beer tastes good. this one is cool because it doesnt have the body from the a lot of heavy grain, but that also doesnt leave it exposed, its nto alcoholically hot at all, and packs a heavy hop punch. i think the varietals are mostly familiar, nothing radical on the ingredient list, but the way the come together is bright and polished, fruity enough but primarily furiously intense bitterness and resinous texture. balance isnt the intent here i dont think, and under normal circumstances it might be too much, but because the beer is so dry, and because the booze never shows, it stays pretty doable for what it is. im not as floored by these guys so far as others seem to me, anointing them the best of the mountain division here, but their hoppy beer is real solid. not earth shattering by any means, but different enough and super fresh.

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best thing to ever come out of Wyoming, sorry Buffalo Bill.

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled Pliny, Cycle Crank and this fine IPA all over the last 2 days. Gotta saw I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

2x4 Quadruple Pale Ale from Thai Me Up / Melvin Brewing