Vitesse Noir - Hardknott Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Hardknott Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 11-20-2011)
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Very interesting stout from Hardknott. Very black and pretty much no head at all. Oily, and it tends to coat the glass.

Definite coffee and chocolate scent. I can't pick up the vanilla per se, but there is a certain sweetness to this that could be from the vanilla. Certainly a rich mocha scent.

Bitter, black coffee and coffee bean taste. Strong suggestions of dark chocolate and light vanilla notes to it. Light woody flavours and a bit of wine. Definite alcohol to it.

Thick mouthfeel, but not overwhelming. This almost feels a bit thin considering the rich flavour, ABV and scent profile. ABV makes this one a once a night enjoyment.

Excellent dessert beer - one to sit back and relax with.

11-20-2011 22:53:06 | More by BDTyre
jroof1

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

12-13-2013 20:35:28 | More by jroof1
FrostBlast

Quebec (Canada)

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

330mL bottle

Thanks to Éric Michaud for 3 bottles of this stuff.

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : This stuff is like tar. Almost no head, and I even tried pouring it from almost 20cm above my glass to try and get some splash going - barely any head. Yep, tar.

SMELL : First nose is roasted malts, coffee, mocha, vanilla, yeasts, some booze. Thick. Almost overwhelming. Second nose brings out the cocoa beans, bit more booze. Third nose wipes everything clean and brings out an aroma mixing all of the above in a way that makes all the elements impossible to distinguish. Good or bad? I don't even know. What I do know is that I'm impressed, and also, I most likely won't be able to smell anything for the next 10 minutes: my nose is saturated.

TASTE : Holy cow. If there ever was an atomic bomb of burnt malts, roasted coffee, mocha, cocoa beans, vanilla and yeasts, it just went off in my mouth. BOOM. I got seriously shot down. And I'm coming back for seconds cause I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

MOUTHFEEL : Follows the looks - feels like tar. Almost oily. Carbonation, even though it's almost absent to the eye, is surprisingly and pleasantly present in the mouth.

OVERALL : Not for the faint of heart. Don't give this to your grandma unless you're in for big heritage money. This is all about excess, over-the-top, right up in your face and up your nose. I'm gonna go through this bottle on my own because I've opened it, but the next ones, I'll be sharing them. It's good, really, really good, but so incredibly rich I'm not sure it's even a good idea for me to drink a whole bottle on my own. And to think that the first time I had this, it was with a foie-gras based desert at a tasting. No wonder I couldn't sleep that night.

10-01-2013 00:41:45 | More by FrostBlast
Vitesse Noir from Hardknott Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.