Dark Prophet - Funkwerks

good

Funkwerks visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: denver10 on 02-21-2012)

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This seems sacrilegious... Not the beer, but the current rating on the beer and the fact that people could rate this below 3.0.

What the hell?

Personally, I enjoyed this beer. A bit costly, I agree. But I am very pleased with it's balance above all things. There was a lot of thought put into this to make sure the beer shines in all the directions it should.

Pours a nice deep amber brown, verging on a bit of a heavy rust color when held to the light. The head sticks around as a good, thin slightly dark khaki.

Smells slightly earthy, slightly boozy, with a bit of whisky. There is a really nice brown sugar, molasses scent to it and there is a dark fruit presence with maybe a hint of candied raisins. The smell is pretty gentle. The sweet candied smell is the most prominent. Maybe a hint of oak to it.

The taste brings in dark fruits and earth, it's almost immediately a bit dirty in taste which intermingles with the base of bourbon which is not immediately sweet either. I taste a little brown sugar, a little molasses, caramel and even smaller amount of chocolate. And what chocolate there is, it is very dark and dry. I get some of the candied raisin coming through and the booze kind of over hangs once you get into about the halfway point. A great oak flavor which dries out with a very great subtle vanilla character.

The last thing on taste I have to point out is that there is an odd saison sort of thing lingering in with the body. Go figure... Funkwerks does saisons! Tons of saisons and how is one not to expect a little saison in this... maybe the bottle even mentions this. And mentioning this I have to say that maybe this is a bit of a duel beer. It does noticeably make me think of a few, really nice lighter bodied Belgian dark ales I have had. While at the same time it is reminiscent of a few dark saisons I have had. It's a crossroads sort of beer.

Getting into the body, it is light for the alcohol content, but not watery or dull. The body matches perfectly with the mellow and even flavors that come through. It's not overly warmed by the booze and that matches the body as well.

One thing I have to give high praise to is blend. If this were a full on bourbon barrel, it would be blinded. It would likely be nothing but bourbon. But the blending and partial aging was a good idea. It adds flavor but lets the rest of the elements come through.

I wish the flavors were a bit more vigorous overall, but I think it is very good Belgian style. I will be buying this agin to cellar for a bit as mentioned on the bottle. Definitely worth a try if you enjoy a good saison... and a good Belgian dark.

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours a deep dark tea in color with a light khaki head.

S - Sweet bourbon & oak, light yeast, pomegranate and vanilla.

T - Sweet throughout, bourbon shows up, molasses, some charred notes and dark cherries.

M - Medium mouthfeel & carbonation. A bit cloying.

O - A bit muddled, somewhat of a mess and very sweet throughout.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: beautiful dark chestnut color, thick head quickly dissipates. Some sludgy cloudiness halfway though glassful.

S: reminds me of muscat grapes, but not as sweet. Also has a slight banana scent. Overall, a nice aroma. Heavy alcohol on the nose. My husband commented part way through the tasting, " reminds me of aqua net, with the fruity alcohol scent".

T: definitely taste the bourbon! nice coffee notes, dark cherry, roasted malt, slightly nutty, metallic feel on the tongue after swallowing, a mild sweetness that I can't identify.... Maybe grapes? Can taste the alcohol after ingesting, but not overwhelming.

M: nice hearty and heavy feel. Carbonation compliments the heaviness of the brew.

O: my first impression is confused, my palate doesn't really know what to do. The initial swig doesn't taste the best. However, some other flavors do surface like a rich coffee, dark cherry flavor follwed by a roasted malt... I like that part! I think I paid $15 for the bottle, if it were less expensive I might buy it just for variety, but this would otherwise not be something I would buy again. It's not a bad beer, but its not a great beer either. it's certiainly unique, but something just doesn't speak to me. It leaves me wanting... There is no prophetic message here.

2.76/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazy and flat caramel color body.

It has an odd aroma that's a combination of wet leaves, vanilla, and funky yeast.

Yuck. This combination does not work well at all. The funk and bourbon notes clash and what's left is a foul musty taste of compost.

Mouthfeel is viscous but flat.

It's just a mess of a beer that I couldn't recommend to anyone.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Redoing this this review for the 2013 version. Not sure if its a development of my palette or that this years version is a significant improvement (I would guess its my palette coming around to it), but I really dig this years version a lot more than last years.

Pours a chestnut, mahogany with a reddish hue and a nice light brown head. A nice big aroma; nice, sweet bourbon, some smooth dark cherries, pomegranate, some dark bread, oak, and sugary vanilla. Flavor offers bourbon (though the bourbon came out much stronger on tap than it did via the bottle), oak, dark cherries, dates, caramel, and some vanilla in the finish. A fuller mouthfeel, not too carbonated. Overall, enjoyed this so much more this year than last years. Also enjoyed this more on tap than from the bottle. Glad I gave this a second chance for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Pours a dark amber/brown color with an off-white head. Strong barrel and vanilla aromas with a mild roasted malt note. Plenty of toast, bread, toffee, and chocolate with some nice dark fruit character. The flavor is quite sweet with lots of caramel, toffee, and dark fruits. Good barrel notes of bourbon and vanilla, only a mild oak flavor. A touch of roasted malt and a nice chocolate quality to it.

Dark Prophet from Funkwerks