Lichtenhainer - Westbrook Brewing Co.

LichtenhainerLichtenhainer

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-14-2011

This is our interpretation of the traditional German Lichtenhainer Weisse style – a pale, sour, and smokey wheat ale. Beechwood smoked malt contributes a subtle bacon/ham aroma, followed by substantial lactic tartness backed up by doughy, grainy wheat. Prost!

Reviews by marvin213:
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had during Brewvival 2012! Served from tap into a Brewvival sampler imperial pint. Poured yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, smoke, and skunk. The flavor was of sweet malt, skunk, wheat, smoke, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Out of all the offerings by Westbrook on the day, this one was my least favorite. I know that Berliners are supposed to be earthy by nature, but this one was just a little over the top in my opinion, maybe it was the smoke giving this effect... Not a lot of real balance going on here unfortunately. I still stand by the fact that Westbrook is brewing great things, but this one wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. Still decent, but defniitely not their best out there. Worthy of seeking out for the true Berliner fan though.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

Bomber to tulip
Sampled 31JUL12
Bottled FEB132012

Thanks to rbradley (a fantastic trader) for the extra!

[A] Enormous pop upon uncorking. The head is strikingly white, foamy & airy and about 3 fingers high. Quick to deflate, the head is reduced to a thin bubbly surface, being sustained only by the persistent effervescence - which is highly visible. The body is a soft golden yellow, rich and vibrant. Great hue. Hazy with low transparency. No lacing.

[S] The beechwood smoked malt stands out above all else - including lacto and Brett. (Although I'm not even sure if the folks at Westbrook used Brett in this beer.) Salty ham, mesquite smoked bacon and some lacto buried underneath. Somewhat conflicting.

[T] The influence of bacteria takes control of the front end flavor. Beechwood smoke settles in next, then the wheaty base.

[M] Violent carbonation bites hard on the tongue. A few aggressive swirls are needed to bring the effervescence in line. Once you get past that, the light body is enhanced by a lemony vinegar-like acidity, providing a snappy refreshment. The intense bubbles add to a dry, very crisp finish. The acidity, however, keeps the salivary glands working in overdrive.

[O] Lichtenhainer is ABSOLUTELY a food pairing beer. In fact, I wouldn't want it any other way. The label suggests pretzels, wurst, sauerkraut and good mustard. All of the above sounds like the perfect compliment - but on its own merits, the beer isn't very easy to enjoy.
Nonetheless, I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to try this obscurity.

4.77/5  rDev +22.3%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011. As a huge Berliner Weisse fan, this is one I've been looking forward to. Basically a smoked Berliner Weisse.

Pours a cloudy golden straw with a thin white head. Aromas and flavors of toasted grain, lemon peel, wheat, and green apples with a subtle hit of smoke and a lovely lactic tartness that works so well with the smoke. Incredibly crisp and refreshing with a thin body and sharp carbonation. This was my absolute favorite beer of the day, and possibly one of my favorite beers ever. This needs to be brewed full-time, year-round!

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Pale and milky straw colored body capped by a thin but retaining head. Very meaty, sour aroma, like leftover ham that's been in the fridge for a week too long. There's a bit of raw wheat in the background, but it's faint. Palate feels more harmonious than the nose, with a bigger sour lacto character that brings flavors of yogurt and lemon flesh. There's a grainy wheat undercurrent that lends body and an enjoyable tang. Smoke is present, but it isn't as meaty; it takes a backseat to the grain and lacto. Pretty enjoyable stuff overall. Strange at first, but ultimately refreshing and enjoyable.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

On tap at Closed4business.
Pours a hazy wheaty golden...slight head. Smell is of citrusy smoked wheat. Really different.
Taste is first of a lemony citrus followed by a tart smokeyness and ends with a cashew flavor. Really nice.
Overall, one of the most unique of the style. Really creative and good tasting - a great combination!

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this beer at World of Beer in Columbia. This is the first time I have tried a smoked weisse. It poured a hazy, light yellow gold with a thin, light head. Smelled strongly of acid, smoked ham, and wheat. Initially, this beer tasted exactly like sauerkraut to me until it warmed up a bit. Then, I would liken its taste to a green apple covered in ham hock fat with a lemon wedge on top. It was certainly unique, but I can't say I enjoyed this beer tremendously. My girlfriend who is more of a fan of strong dark beers couldn't drink this beer saying it tasted like vomit and I could certainly see where she was coming from so this is definitely not for everyone..

Courtesy of thagr81us, thanks Calton! Wedding week beer!

This one pours a light bodied and cloudy peachy gold in color. The nose is both lightly tart and has plenty of hammy aromas. It's very hammy. The flavors are truer to the style with light tartness, citrusy acidity, with a more mellow ham presence. It's nice and interesting. I'm glad there is a lemony, citrus presence to combat the smoked beechwood malt. It drinks light but being in a bomber, I don't think I could finish off a bottle by myself. This was another good effort from Westbrook.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle into a tulip
no bottled on date (bottled on date space on the label left blank)

A: Pours a hazy, nearly opaque, dark yellow/brownish color; looks like of nasty actually. Less than 1/2 a fingers width of bright tan head builds but quickly dissipates away and leaves zero lacing. 2.75

S: It smells like ham, seriously, exactly like ham with the salty and meaty characteristics. There is some tartness and very subtle wheat on the back end. I don’t know what to think really. Its certainly like no other beer I’ve ever experienced. I like the aroma, its quite pleasant, but I don’t know how I feel about this aroma coming from a beer. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt because it is pleasant, and very unique. 3.75

T: Wow, much much more tart than I anticipated. Probably the most sour berliner weisse I’ve ever had. Lots of wheat characters as well. The huge ham-like character from the aroma is more muted in taste, although there are some smokey notes on the finish and a meat-esque character that grows throughout the drink. 4

M/D: Medium body, heavy carbonation, filling (presumably from the wheat and carbonation combo), drinkability is on the lower end due to the huge tartness. 3.5

O: My senses are terribly confused. This is like nothing I have ever had. I guess the components pair well together, I am enjoying it, but primarily due to the huge lactic tartness/sour characters. Not sure how much the smokiness/meaty characters do for me. I appreciate the uniqueness though. This is probably something I would drink again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is bored with the standard beer offerings and whats to try something new and different. 4

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to beerbyrd for sending me out a few bottles of this. Served in a Mikasa tulip.

Pours a slightly-cloudy bright yellow-golden color with a single-finger white head that fades down to a thin collar fairly quickly without leaving much in the way of lacing.

The nose contains a good dose of smoke and wheat, though the smoke isn't completely over the top. It's certainly the dominant component though. As it warms up the smoke gives way to a light woodiness along with some light acidity.

The flavor is a good combination of smoke and wheat with a nice tartness coming through the finish. A touch of lemon in the background. Body is light and crisp with fairly-high carbonation.

An interesting concept and a fairly enjoyable beer. If only the nose were as nicely balanced as the flavor.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to kkipple for this one, shared with lots of great friends.

As I open it the bottle erupts but we catch most of it. There is a light fizzy head, hazy lemony yellow color.

Nose has light smoke, sour malts, light lemon zest and lemongrass, little tart and hint of wild funk, little yeasty and bready, light smoked bacon like that grows the more I smell it, sweet maple and even a little honey.

Taste has wheat to start, some sour tart lemony flavors, lemongrass, etc. Lots of smoke flavor but not overbearing, smoked bacon again, then some yeast, light funk, smooth light fruity and tart, acidity. Finish is dry, some yeast and hint of funk, acidity, tart lemon fruit, long but light and some smokey bacon.

Mouth is med bodied, lower carb since it erupted.

Overall OK, interesting and some nice characters and decent profile but not an amazing beer like it had the potential to.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance-Poured with a decent white head although it didn't last long. Color was around a four on the color scale with a hint of an orange tint.

Smell- A nice aroma for such as strange beer.

Taste- Smoke flavor was a bit overpowering but the sour wheat was present enough to get a solid taste

Mouth fee- lt was about medium.

Overall- As far as the complexity and uniqueness of this beer goes for what it is, it's top notch. As for my personal taste, I was unable to finish. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but, not rolled into one

Lichtenhainer from Westbrook Brewing Co.