Lichtenhainer - Westbrook Brewing Co.

LichtenhainerLichtenhainer

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-14-2011

This is our interpretation of the traditional German Lichtenhainer Weisse style – a pale, sour, and smokey wheat ale. Beechwood smoked malt contributes a subtle bacon/ham aroma, followed by substantial lactic tartness backed up by doughy, grainy wheat. Prost!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 90 | Reviews: 33
4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011. As a huge Berliner Weisse fan, this is one I've been looking forward to. Basically a smoked Berliner Weisse.

Pours a cloudy golden straw with a thin white head. Aromas and flavors of toasted grain, lemon peel, wheat, and green apples with a subtle hit of smoke and a lovely lactic tartness that works so well with the smoke. Incredibly crisp and refreshing with a thin body and sharp carbonation. This was my absolute favorite beer of the day, and possibly one of my favorite beers ever. This needs to be brewed full-time, year-round!

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Reviewed from notes: Had on tap:

appearance: cloudy yellow almost lemonade like, with 1 finger white snowy head,

smell: BACON, tart acidic, apple, wheat,

taste: tart sour apples, bacon, smoke, wheat,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: probably the most unique berliner I've ever had. And so glad to give this one a try. Can't wait to try it in bottle form in the upcoming year.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.46/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy toasted yellow no head

Aroma and flavor are bacon and ham doused with lemon juice. Vinegar based BBQ sauce in smoked meat. Really cool balance of sour and smoke.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing, no harsh lingering flavors from the smoke. Very approachable and well done! Don't know if it's true to style, because this is the first I've ever had. I love it regardless.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Cloudy light peach/pink and color body. Cap and collar.

S- Smells to me like Sweet Baby Rays, yum. Wish the aroma would be in my nostrils forever.

T- Smoke turns to sour. Tarty but not too sour. Highly drinkable.

M- Prickly carbonation, medium mouthfeel for the style.

D/O- Really really enjoyed this one. In theory this sounded delicious to me and Westbrook delivers. Would love taking a bomber down myself on a hot summer evening. Thanks Zuidman!

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale yellow color with a wispy head that leaves a few dots here and there

Smell: Bready, tart and slightly smoky

Taste: As it smells, tart and bready, up front, with a gentle smoky character that develops, mid-palate, and becomes more discernable in the finish

Mouthfeel: Light body with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: Really interesting take on the style (wouldn't expect anything less from Westbrook); very refreshing in the hot weather

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Modernartblues for this bottle.

A: A bit of a gusher upon opening - even fully refrigerated - and the extra foam shows up in even a careful pour as a huge white head atop a clear, bright gold body. Retention is good, but the lacing is a little weak for such a big head.

S: Sourdough bread, light smoke, and lemon juice. Just what the label promised.

T: Sharp lactic tartness up front, followed by some toasty, smoky malt. Dry, clean, puckering finish. Each sip gets more sour and less smoky. I'm a fan.

M: Thin and spritzy. Appropriate enough for the style, I suppose, but less than ideal.

O: This one was bizarre, but in a very good way. The sour and smoky notes went surprisingly well together, and it was by far the most drinkable and refreshing smoked beer I've ever had. As much as I enjoy Rauchbiers I always find them a challenge to drink in any quantity, but this I could quaff at length. Really good stuff.

Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - pours a golden hazy straw color with 2+ fingers of white head. Decent retention and lacing

S - tons of smokey aromas. Tobacco and light puckering lemon aromas. Incredibly incredibly smokeyo

T - puckering sourness. Wow. Transitions into lightly salted Smokey ESS hint of tobacco

M - light bodied extremely easy to drink and refreshing. Pretty well carbonated

O - light puckering sour with heavy smokyness

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

From a bomber into a Red-wine style glass. Leftover from a bottleshare, I feel lucky to have the chance to try this one!

Pours a cloudy, sunny yellow, with a finger of white head that dissipates slowly into a thin surface of champagne bubbles.

Strong lemon aroma with a hint of smoke. Banana and clove flavors come through, as well as a hint of grapefruit and other citrus.

Aroma and taste combine to bring out more smokiness and a burst of lemon freshness. Citrus dominates, but the smoke is an interesting counterpart. Tart and crisp finish, no dominant Belgian flavors.

Mouthfeel is light, giving the impression of a shandy or a bitter champagne. Leaves a lively and fresh taste in the mouth. The smoke doesn't linger.

Overall, this is a very creative and unique brew. It's easy to drink, despite the bold contrast in flavors. This brew would be excellent with BBQ shrimp or chicken that's been lightly seasoned.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. No date under where it says "Bottled On."

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains decently before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small center patch of bubbly surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Simultaneous waft of cherrywood smoke and moderate tart aroma.

T- Taste folows closely to the aroma with a semi-tart onset that abruptly turns to a firm smokiness. The smoke lingers in the aftertaste and is sweeter than the smoke I'm used to being in rauchbiers. Definitely tastes like bacon and cured ham...and hot dogs! That's really the main taste you get from this, especially after multiple sips.

M- Dry with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Took me a while to pinpoint it, but this beer definitely tastes the most like hot dogs than any other I've had. It's pretty much the main component while the tartness provides some complexity to keep it from being too one-sided. I'm not usually a fan of smoked beers but this one isn't too smoky and the smoke that is there has a different characteristic than the usual "campfire" variety.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to JLindros for sharing this bottle.

A - Poured into a stone ipa tulip glass a hazy straw hue super light with a thin head.

S - Aromas of nice light sour aromas and such with gentle smoke notes like a light bacon super light and fresh.

T - Taste is a nice light funky sour with gentle.lemons and subtle meaty funk and smoke. Super tasty.

M - Mouthfeel is very carbonated almost like a champagne which matches nicely with the sour funk.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer and I'm glad JLindros shared it. Defijately one of my favourite wiesse beers.

Pale and milky straw colored body capped by a thin but retaining head. Very meaty, sour aroma, like leftover ham that's been in the fridge for a week too long. There's a bit of raw wheat in the background, but it's faint. Palate feels more harmonious than the nose, with a bigger sour lacto character that brings flavors of yogurt and lemon flesh. There's a grainy wheat undercurrent that lends body and an enjoyable tang. Smoke is present, but it isn't as meaty; it takes a backseat to the grain and lacto. Pretty enjoyable stuff overall. Strange at first, but ultimately refreshing and enjoyable.

Courtesy of thagr81us, thanks Calton! Wedding week beer!

This one pours a light bodied and cloudy peachy gold in color. The nose is both lightly tart and has plenty of hammy aromas. It's very hammy. The flavors are truer to the style with light tartness, citrusy acidity, with a more mellow ham presence. It's nice and interesting. I'm glad there is a lemony, citrus presence to combat the smoked beechwood malt. It drinks light but being in a bomber, I don't think I could finish off a bottle by myself. This was another good effort from Westbrook.

A smoked berlinerweiss? OK, I'll try it. I think Mike provided this one at a recent tasting. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thin lazy white head of small bubbles, some lacing, moderate to low carbonation, looks OK.

Aroma is surprising, all smoke, it isn't like sniffing a campfire but it is definitely there.

Beer is light in body and the lactic character cuts through the smoke and makes for an interesting beer, notice I didn't say excellent beer, I said interesting, it is definitely worth a look. I think the flavors actually go well together but I doubt this is a repeat for me.

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is hazy and yellow with a small white head. The aroma is quite smoky. Sour malt and some tart citrus blend well with a prominent campfire smoke character. Lingering tartness in the finish with smoke notes. I think of this as equal parts rauchbier and Berlinerweiss. Interesting and well done. I would have this again.

A - Out of the growler at the Charleston Beer Exchange and also out of a 22oz bomber. Hazy straw color. Pleasantly light in appearance.

S - Didn't know what to expect. Nice smoke and lemon in the nose which was confusing at first.

T - The taste sorted everything out for me. Honestly, an incredibly strange but very good beer. I was hesitant at first given the combination of smoke, bacon flavor, wheat, and lemon, but it was very good! I really enjoyed hit beer. Light on the booze as well, so you can sip this for awhile if you like some smoke flavor.

M - Mouthfeel was fairly light with moderate carbonation. It's interesting how the smoke flavor still remains light against the wheat body.

O - Good summertime beer, and I hope that Westbrook makes this a rotational beer. I really enjoyed it.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Super interesting beer- you better like smoke and you better like sour for this one. Pours somewhat cloudy with just a wisp on fine head. Nose is dominated by the smoked malt - little else can be detected. Flavor is nearly liquid bacon up front with strong tart lemony sourness at the end. Clean finish. Damn interesting beer.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

On tap at Closed4business.
Pours a hazy wheaty golden...slight head. Smell is of citrusy smoked wheat. Really different.
Taste is first of a lemony citrus followed by a tart smokeyness and ends with a cashew flavor. Really nice.
Overall, one of the most unique of the style. Really creative and good tasting - a great combination!

3.97/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a hazy texture. There was an inch of fizzy head that quickly dissipated. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: A fruity aroma, with a definite smoky quality as well.

T: Tasted of light fruit (lemon, apples), wheat, malt, and the aforementioned smokiness. Definitely unusual, with the inclusion of the smoke, this is an odd flavor that's hard to pin down.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This beer is definitely a strange little experiment. Not bad, and worth trying for the novelty, but probably not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Poured with a decent white head although it didn't last long. Color was around a four on the color scale with a hint of an orange tint as well as a nice aroma. Smoke flavor was a bit overpowering but the sour wheat was present enough to get a solid taste with a medium mouth feel. As far as the complexity and uniqueness of this beer goes for what it is, it's top notch. As for my personal taste, I was unable to finish. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but, not rolled into one

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked this up in Colorado

Pours an effervescent gold with a sliver of cream colored head. Above average lacing, below average head retention

S: Sourness, smokeyness,

T: Tartness, smokeyness, sourness & grapefruit up front. More tartness as this warms, slight lemon citric notes, pears cherries & dryness as this warms. Finishes tart, moreish with faint smokeyness & grapefruit

MF: Medium bodied, delicate carbonation

Very drinkable, the smokeyness is restrained enough to make this something I could stay on a while

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this beer at World of Beer in Columbia. This is the first time I have tried a smoked weisse. It poured a hazy, light yellow gold with a thin, light head. Smelled strongly of acid, smoked ham, and wheat. Initially, this beer tasted exactly like sauerkraut to me until it warmed up a bit. Then, I would liken its taste to a green apple covered in ham hock fat with a lemon wedge on top. It was certainly unique, but I can't say I enjoyed this beer tremendously. My girlfriend who is more of a fan of strong dark beers couldn't drink this beer saying it tasted like vomit and I could certainly see where she was coming from so this is definitely not for everyone..

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

From 03/30/12 notes. Bottle shared by Thorpe429 to start off our mini-Westbrook tasting. Poured into a tulip. Bottled on 02/13/12.

a - Pours a murky, pale yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonatioin evident.

s - Smells of bananas, smoked malts, fruity malts, and light sour tropical fruits. Interesting mix but pretty cool.

t - Tastes of bananas, smoked malts, sour citrus hops, lemon, sour tropical fruits, fruity malts. Again very nice. A little better then the nose with the citrus.

m - Light, thin body and low carbonation. Docking it a little in the body as it is a bit too thin and watery.

o - Overall one of the most interesting berliner's I've had. Some definite sourness to it, especially in the taste, but not too much as the smoked malts come out a bit as well. Pretty nice, I imagine exactly what they were going for.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

This is my first experience with a Berliner Weissbier, so it's hard to judge it against other ones in with in the style. Got this on draft at the Charleston Beer Exchange. It was a slightly hazy straw color, kind of a light fizzy head. Smell was more malt than hop and VERY citrusy, mostly of the lemon variety. Taste was very similar to the smell, but had a sourness that slaps you in the face with a slight smokiness to the finish. This was a nice style to try out, I think it would go great with the warmer months, hopefully they continue to make this through the summer.

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle into a tulip
no bottled on date (bottled on date space on the label left blank)

A: Pours a hazy, nearly opaque, dark yellow/brownish color; looks like of nasty actually. Less than 1/2 a fingers width of bright tan head builds but quickly dissipates away and leaves zero lacing. 2.75

S: It smells like ham, seriously, exactly like ham with the salty and meaty characteristics. There is some tartness and very subtle wheat on the back end. I don’t know what to think really. Its certainly like no other beer I’ve ever experienced. I like the aroma, its quite pleasant, but I don’t know how I feel about this aroma coming from a beer. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt because it is pleasant, and very unique. 3.75

T: Wow, much much more tart than I anticipated. Probably the most sour berliner weisse I’ve ever had. Lots of wheat characters as well. The huge ham-like character from the aroma is more muted in taste, although there are some smokey notes on the finish and a meat-esque character that grows throughout the drink. 4

M/D: Medium body, heavy carbonation, filling (presumably from the wheat and carbonation combo), drinkability is on the lower end due to the huge tartness. 3.5

O: My senses are terribly confused. This is like nothing I have ever had. I guess the components pair well together, I am enjoying it, but primarily due to the huge lactic tartness/sour characters. Not sure how much the smokiness/meaty characters do for me. I appreciate the uniqueness though. This is probably something I would drink again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is bored with the standard beer offerings and whats to try something new and different. 4

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to kkipple for this one, shared with lots of great friends.

As I open it the bottle erupts but we catch most of it. There is a light fizzy head, hazy lemony yellow color.

Nose has light smoke, sour malts, light lemon zest and lemongrass, little tart and hint of wild funk, little yeasty and bready, light smoked bacon like that grows the more I smell it, sweet maple and even a little honey.

Taste has wheat to start, some sour tart lemony flavors, lemongrass, etc. Lots of smoke flavor but not overbearing, smoked bacon again, then some yeast, light funk, smooth light fruity and tart, acidity. Finish is dry, some yeast and hint of funk, acidity, tart lemon fruit, long but light and some smokey bacon.

Mouth is med bodied, lower carb since it erupted.

Overall OK, interesting and some nice characters and decent profile but not an amazing beer like it had the potential to.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Lichtenhainer from Westbrook Brewing Co.