Lichtenhainer - Westbrook Brewing Co.

LichtenhainerLichtenhainer

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.20% ABV

This is our interpretation of the traditional German Lichtenhainer Weisse style – a pale, sour, and smokey wheat ale. Beechwood smoked malt contributes a subtle bacon/ham aroma, followed by substantial lactic tartness backed up by doughy, grainy wheat. Prost!

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 02-14-2011)
aasher

Indiana

Courtesy of thagr81us, thanks Calton! Wedding week beer!

This one pours a light bodied and cloudy peachy gold in color. The nose is both lightly tart and has plenty of hammy aromas. It's very hammy. The flavors are truer to the style with light tartness, citrusy acidity, with a more mellow ham presence. It's nice and interesting. I'm glad there is a lemony, citrus presence to combat the smoked beechwood malt. It drinks light but being in a bomber, I don't think I could finish off a bottle by myself. This was another good effort from Westbrook.

06-20-2012 19:52:59 | More by aasher
sweatervest27

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

06-14-2012 04:48:33 | More by sweatervest27
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

22 ounce bottle - $6.99 at Sam's Beer & More in Lexington, South Carolina. Bottled on: FEB132012.

Appearance: Pours out a yellow body, fairly hazy, and, though an initial flourish of carbonation, no head formation beyond a thinnish, white ring.

Smell: Notes of medium-sized ham cubes, light wheat, lactic acid, and a small sulfury sniff. Now there's something you don't smell everyday.

Taste: Scant wheat malts, with very, very little sweetness upfront. Pass along a forkful of smoked ham bitlets. Pop of sourish lemon juice, hint of farmhouse cider and a creamy, coating lacic character. Well carbonated, puckeringly tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high carbonation.

Overall: Unique. It's a beverage where, at the time of the final sip slipping down my gullet, I wasn't sure whether or not I actually liked it. OK, so, would I do it again? I'm not so sure about that, either. I'm all wingdings and question marks with this one.

05-30-2012 16:16:17 | More by ChainGangGuy

tclapper

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

05-05-2012 02:05:40 | More by tclapper
largadeer

Pale and milky straw colored body capped by a thin but retaining head. Very meaty, sour aroma, like leftover ham that's been in the fridge for a week too long. There's a bit of raw wheat in the background, but it's faint. Palate feels more harmonious than the nose, with a bigger sour lacto character that brings flavors of yogurt and lemon flesh. There's a grainy wheat undercurrent that lends body and an enjoyable tang. Smoke is present, but it isn't as meaty; it takes a backseat to the grain and lacto. Pretty enjoyable stuff overall. Strange at first, but ultimately refreshing and enjoyable.

05-02-2012 04:22:23 | More by largadeer
Thorpe429

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to beerbyrd for sending me out a few bottles of this. Served in a Mikasa tulip.

Pours a slightly-cloudy bright yellow-golden color with a single-finger white head that fades down to a thin collar fairly quickly without leaving much in the way of lacing.

The nose contains a good dose of smoke and wheat, though the smoke isn't completely over the top. It's certainly the dominant component though. As it warms up the smoke gives way to a light woodiness along with some light acidity.

The flavor is a good combination of smoke and wheat with a nice tartness coming through the finish. A touch of lemon in the background. Body is light and crisp with fairly-high carbonation.

An interesting concept and a fairly enjoyable beer. If only the nose were as nicely balanced as the flavor.

04-20-2012 18:27:08 | More by Thorpe429
ChrisTHE

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance-Poured with a decent white head although it didn't last long. Color was around a four on the color scale with a hint of an orange tint.

Smell- A nice aroma for such as strange beer.

Taste- Smoke flavor was a bit overpowering but the sour wheat was present enough to get a solid taste

Mouth fee- lt was about medium.

Overall- As far as the complexity and uniqueness of this beer goes for what it is, it's top notch. As for my personal taste, I was unable to finish. Don't get me wrong, I like sour beers and I like smoke beers but, not rolled into one

04-13-2012 13:52:25 | More by ChrisTHE
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -7%

A smoked Berliner Weiss eh? Thanks Mike (Thorpe429) for the share. Served in a tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to nothing. Hazy pale yellow body.

S - Smoked malts and lactic sourness - pretty much what you'd expect from the description. Some wheat, grain, and sour mash flavors.

T - Taste is a little less interesting, as the smoke tends to dominate the palate. There's only some mild lactic sourness present, but it's mostly smoked meats and campfire. Still, pretty enjoyable.

M - Medium body, lower carbonation, and a mildly slimy texture.

D - An interesting, albeit not totally successful, take on the Berliner Weiss genre. I'd drink this again, but I wouldn't take the time to actively track it down.

04-06-2012 23:35:42 | More by MasterSki
mdfb79

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

From 03/30/12 notes. Bottle shared by Thorpe429 to start off our mini-Westbrook tasting. Poured into a tulip. Bottled on 02/13/12.

a - Pours a murky, pale yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonatioin evident.

s - Smells of bananas, smoked malts, fruity malts, and light sour tropical fruits. Interesting mix but pretty cool.

t - Tastes of bananas, smoked malts, sour citrus hops, lemon, sour tropical fruits, fruity malts. Again very nice. A little better then the nose with the citrus.

m - Light, thin body and low carbonation. Docking it a little in the body as it is a bit too thin and watery.

o - Overall one of the most interesting berliner's I've had. Some definite sourness to it, especially in the taste, but not too much as the smoked malts come out a bit as well. Pretty nice, I imagine exactly what they were going for.

04-04-2012 15:42:42 | More by mdfb79
drabmuh

Maryland

A smoked berlinerweiss? OK, I'll try it. I think Mike provided this one at a recent tasting. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thin lazy white head of small bubbles, some lacing, moderate to low carbonation, looks OK.

Aroma is surprising, all smoke, it isn't like sniffing a campfire but it is definitely there.

Beer is light in body and the lactic character cuts through the smoke and makes for an interesting beer, notice I didn't say excellent beer, I said interesting, it is definitely worth a look. I think the flavors actually go well together but I doubt this is a repeat for me.

04-02-2012 19:45:14 | More by drabmuh
GameChicken

A - Out of the growler at the Charleston Beer Exchange and also out of a 22oz bomber. Hazy straw color. Pleasantly light in appearance.

S - Didn't know what to expect. Nice smoke and lemon in the nose which was confusing at first.

T - The taste sorted everything out for me. Honestly, an incredibly strange but very good beer. I was hesitant at first given the combination of smoke, bacon flavor, wheat, and lemon, but it was very good! I really enjoyed hit beer. Light on the booze as well, so you can sip this for awhile if you like some smoke flavor.

M - Mouthfeel was fairly light with moderate carbonation. It's interesting how the smoke flavor still remains light against the wheat body.

O - Good summertime beer, and I hope that Westbrook makes this a rotational beer. I really enjoyed it.

03-31-2012 00:54:39 | More by GameChicken
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is hazy and yellow with a small white head. The aroma is quite smoky. Sour malt and some tart citrus blend well with a prominent campfire smoke character. Lingering tartness in the finish with smoke notes. I think of this as equal parts rauchbier and Berlinerweiss. Interesting and well done. I would have this again.

03-30-2012 23:08:48 | More by Huhzubendah

UltimateLivewire

03-25-2012 00:03:33 | More by UltimateLivewire
JISurfer

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

This is my first experience with a Berliner Weissbier, so it's hard to judge it against other ones in with in the style. Got this on draft at the Charleston Beer Exchange. It was a slightly hazy straw color, kind of a light fizzy head. Smell was more malt than hop and VERY citrusy, mostly of the lemon variety. Taste was very similar to the smell, but had a sourness that slaps you in the face with a slight smokiness to the finish. This was a nice style to try out, I think it would go great with the warmer months, hopefully they continue to make this through the summer.

03-19-2012 02:28:37 | More by JISurfer
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Closed4business.
Pours a hazy wheaty golden...slight head. Smell is of citrusy smoked wheat. Really different.
Taste is first of a lemony citrus followed by a tart smokeyness and ends with a cashew flavor. Really nice.
Overall, one of the most unique of the style. Really creative and good tasting - a great combination!

03-15-2012 20:14:02 | More by DrinkSlurm
avalon07

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a hazy texture. There was an inch of fizzy head that quickly dissipated. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: A fruity aroma, with a definite smoky quality as well.

T: Tasted of light fruit (lemon, apples), wheat, malt, and the aforementioned smokiness. Definitely unusual, with the inclusion of the smoke, this is an odd flavor that's hard to pin down.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This beer is definitely a strange little experiment. Not bad, and worth trying for the novelty, but probably not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

03-15-2012 13:14:48 | More by avalon07
thagr81us

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Had during Brewvival 2012! Served from tap into a Brewvival sampler imperial pint. Poured yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, smoke, and skunk. The flavor was of sweet malt, skunk, wheat, smoke, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Out of all the offerings by Westbrook on the day, this one was my least favorite. I know that Berliners are supposed to be earthy by nature, but this one was just a little over the top in my opinion, maybe it was the smoke giving this effect... Not a lot of real balance going on here unfortunately. I still stand by the fact that Westbrook is brewing great things, but this one wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. Still decent, but defniitely not their best out there. Worthy of seeking out for the true Berliner fan though.

03-01-2012 13:07:54 | More by thagr81us
Andy1012

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Had this beer at World of Beer in Columbia. This is the first time I have tried a smoked weisse. It poured a hazy, light yellow gold with a thin, light head. Smelled strongly of acid, smoked ham, and wheat. Initially, this beer tasted exactly like sauerkraut to me until it warmed up a bit. Then, I would liken its taste to a green apple covered in ham hock fat with a lemon wedge on top. It was certainly unique, but I can't say I enjoyed this beer tremendously. My girlfriend who is more of a fan of strong dark beers couldn't drink this beer saying it tasted like vomit and I could certainly see where she was coming from so this is definitely not for everyone..

02-28-2012 22:18:54 | More by Andy1012
THECPJ

Delaware

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Reviewed from notes: Had on tap:

appearance: cloudy yellow almost lemonade like, with 1 finger white snowy head,

smell: BACON, tart acidic, apple, wheat,

taste: tart sour apples, bacon, smoke, wheat,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: probably the most unique berliner I've ever had. And so glad to give this one a try. Can't wait to try it in bottle form in the upcoming year.

Cheers,
The CPJ

02-27-2012 17:27:35 | More by THECPJ
marine1975

01-29-2012 01:26:35 | More by marine1975
GehenHerzog

01-29-2012 01:21:35 | More by GehenHerzog
Lichtenhainer from Westbrook Brewing Co.