Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Reviews: 265 | Hads: 2,295

I feel bad about rating this so low. I have become serious about the world of craft beer for the last 3-4 years and am quite new to rating beers on BA. I have been learning so much about different styles and was excited to try my first gose. The saltiness and sour nature of this beer really challenges my notion of what beer is. Sadly, the sour and salty feel was too off putting for me. Perhaps this style is simply not for me or it will become an acquired taste. For now I can only say "blech!!!" I don't see myself even finishing this one.

2.3/5  rDev -44%

Found myself in South Carolina looking at the many offerings from Westbrook. The Gose had high ratings and was a beer style I haven't had so decided to try it.

Unfortunately I was not a fan of this beer. It was cloudy and did not have much carbonation. The smell to me was vinegar and musty herbs. The taste was like a turned cider that was poured over a salt block. I drank two to make certain that my palate was exposed and acclimated to the beer but the last swallow was only marginally better than the first.

So it seems my first experience with this style of beer will probably be my last but I am glad I tried it.

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't.

2.86/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

this is the first I've had of this style and I did not like it. I'm writing this so my rating does not discourage anyone from trying this since it has a lot of good reviews and I know many people that like this beer. I think this is just not the style for me right now.

2.89/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can dated 24 July 2013 served in a pint glass.
Doesn't look very good, being a murky yellow brown that had no head after a few minutes.

Also does not smell appealing, but the flavor is actually rather good. The nose is definitely tart but still did not prepare me for the extremely tart flavor; about half as tart as lemon, perhaps. Quite salty, even for style. Unfortunate touch of vinegar.

O: very tart and interesting beer with one of the more extreme divergences I've encountered between smell and taste.

2.9/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I know sour beers are supposed to be all the rage these days. I've only had tastes of various sour beers and this Gose was my first time drinking an entire sour beer.

Not that I think the Gose was awful, I just don't want my beer to taste sour. The beer is refreshing in a weird and unexpected way. I didn't get any bit of saltiness or coriander as described on the can label.

I am probably the only person in the beer nerd world who did not love this beer. First off it has no head and looks cloudy. It smells slightly sour and not in a good way. The flavor was like sour green apples mashed into the world's worst apple sauce. I love sour beers but I drain poured this.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance is cloudy yellow, very little head - dropped down quickly.

I am NOT a fan of the aroma. I am looking and hoping for coriander but all I am getting is a sour funk up my nostrils.

Taste is better than I expected from initial whiff. Lots of sour lemon with a salty finish. I am also sensing the coriander on the back end.

Only my second ever gose so I rate as a newbie. Better as it warms up and my palette gets used to the tartness that is ever so present.

3.13/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Apparently this is what all the cool kids are drinking these days.

Sixer from Tri-Boro Beverage. Served two cans at a time. :)

Ommegang Anniversary glass. Hazy lemon/orange pour. Wispy inch of retreating white foam.

Smells of lemon-lime soda & a bunch of yeast. Something vaguely squash-like.

Tons of sour lemon upfront, along with a big scoop of gunky yeast. Metamucil comes to mind. Lactic. Maybe there's salt there, but all that lemon... No coriander to be found either, so sad. Maybe I'll serve the rest strained through some crushed seeds along with a sprig of cilantro.

Prickly carbonation. Goopy texture.

Totally different beast when compared to something traditional like Leipziger Gose, or even something more modern, like Barrier Brewing's rendition(which I also love).

Sourheads on a budget need to get their fix somehow I guess.

3.16/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

A kind co-worker gave me a can of this to sample. Said it was highly rated on BA. "Sour and Salty," most definitely. But delicious? No.

Looks good and pours with minimal head, but the first sip reminds me of the the tapwater at Myrtle Beach: nasty. It tastes more like somebody poured salt and a little bit of lemon juice into a cheap Chardonnay. I just don't get the claim that this is delicious beer.

Yes, I drank it, the whole can. It was a gift, after all, and I wanted to give it a chance. But I would never buy one of these, there are too many good beers out there to waste money on brackish brew.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a hazy, dull, pale yellow color with almost no head

S-raw bread dough, salty, sour acidic fruits

T-sour fruits and saltiness destroy the palate and finish with a lingering bread dough flavor

MF-light bodied but mellow and smooth

O-my first representation of the style, so I can't exactly review based on style but I am not a fan of Gose's so far

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz can. Not really sure what this style should look like. Rather becalmed looking compared to most other brews. Hazy yellow gold. Some white head that disappears.

Aroma, Yeasty citrus to me, some minerally saltiness. Wheaty and corn like malt.

Taste, It is quite puckering up front, straight lemon. Dry but not overyly so. Other things come out much later in the finish. Again minerally salt, and a large hay and wheat grain.

High carbonation compared to what the appearance would lead one to believe. Drinks very easy, light body, but it is VERY tart. Never had the style so I guess this is fine.
Feels "trendy" because of the sourness. Probably wouldn't bother with this style again.

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

I'm sure this is a very traditional interpretation of the style, but it is one of the few Gose beers I'm just not over the moon about. It's salty, tart, but (in my opinion) not particularly refreshing. It's still a highly drinkable and sessionable beer, but nothing I would go out of my way to buy (again).

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A: Pale yellow, opaque, with a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Thick lacing.

S: Wheat, salt, coriander.

T: Tart and salty. Not as sour as I expected. Coriander, lemon and wheat pop in to give it a summer appeal. But the salt overwhelms, pushing everything else to the back seat.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Too salty for my taste. This beer is more of a novelty that should be shared at tastings just to finish off the can.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

I really shouldn't rate a beer in a category I probably don't like. This was my first Gose beer and I don't care for sour/wild ales either. I went easy on it (could've rated it a 1.00 to my tastes).

The sour and saltiness dominates big time. So if this is something your tastes buds crave, then this one is for you.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Hmmm... how does one rate a Gose if they have no basis for comparison? Well, I'm certainly going to try! Sours have never been my thing, but I've heard so much about this one in particular that I felt it would be a crime not to give it a try. With Westbrook in my backyard, and their stable of stellar beers, it had to live up to the hype, right? Sort of. Right from the start, the appearance is quite unappealing. Ugly even. Pours from the can in to a fluted pilsner glass with a cloudy, golden-yellow hue and a little transparency. Zero head. I wouldn't even know this is carbonated based upon the appearance. I hate to say this, but is looks like concentrated urine. The aroma is on par. Intense sour scents and perhaps a little lemon citrus are buried under a dirty urinal cake fragrance. Pretty gross really. Surprisingly, the taste completely transcends the other attributes. Fruity lemon-zinging tartness clears a path for a lingering grain flavor that imparts a little sweetness. The aftertaste reminds me a little of smarties candy, but with an obvious sour note. If you've ever enjoyed sour patch kids, this may be your beer. The body is thin & light, with a nice watery texture. Absolutely minimal carbonation. Just enough to give it a hint of effervescence. Surprisingly quenching, which invites the next curious gulp. One of the intriguing elements of this experience is that the sourness washes away pretty quickly, leaving behind a little residual saltiness. Then the salinity makes you feel compelled to take another drink. While this is certainly not for everybody, I have to imagine that the target audience agrees that Westbrook executed this one very well. If anything, this one got me curious to see what other Gose offerings are like. Isn't that the point of craft beer? To expand your horizons? Mission accomplished Westbrook.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Can from Adam. Thanks man! Pours a cloudy light yellow color with a one finger white head that recedes quickly. Aroma is heavy sour and salt as the can says, lemon peel, interesting. Flavor is like a tart lemonade with some salt added. A bit of wheat and dirty finish lingering. Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Crisp finish. I like that Westbrook decided to make something different. Not bad, and definitely a change up from the norm. Tangy for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Can: Poured a light yellowish color Gose with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of tart notes with light salty notes also discernable. Taste is a mxi between some tart and sour notes with a salty finish and limited coriander notes. Body is light with good carbonation. I had really high expectation considering all the noise this one is making but I thought it was an OK version of the style at the end of the day.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a murky gold with little to no head. The smell, is simply put, kind of off putting. The taste starts off sour, then finishes in a way that's like drinking sweat. Mouthfeel is midrange, the carbonation is on the low side, and it has sense of being thick in a coating sort of way. I had the amped up version of this (Artisanal) on draft and that it was tasty and explosive. The aftertaste, smell, look, and finish need some work on this one.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich light golden hued with exceptional cloudiness. Head was minimal and entirely dissipates. Aroma is slightly sour and a touch salty with just a trace of citrus. Mouthfeel is salty,very bitter and heavily carbonated. The flavor is slightly sour with a citrus like component and very salty. The coriander is used gently and because of it it blends well with the citrus and saltiness.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a cold can into a snifter. The beer pours a bright clear gold color with bleached white head. Kind of looks like champagne, until the end of the pour is mucky and sediment laden with brown chunks.
Aroma is some twangy wheat and bit of tart lime and some husky grain. I also get a bit of sweet spiciness, coriander I think, which was agreeable.
Very carbonated and fizzy! Prickles my lips immediately. Flavor is tart and crisp with lemon and lime and a little wheat twang. I also get just a bit of sweet fruit but that is gone quickly after each sip. Finish is very dry and leaves a lingering tart across my palate. I find this enjoyable but wonder if I would want more than one of these on any given day.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I acquired this in a trade. Expectations could not be higher given this beer's reputation as more or less the best beer in the style. Canned 06/27/14. 12 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art and design and standard pull-tab served cold into a Jester King goblet. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

4% ABV. Reviewed live as a gose per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. White in colour. Fizzy and active. Thin and light. Retention is bad - maybe a minute at best. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. A fuller longer-lasting head would be ideal. There's definite room for improvement here.

BODY: Murky cloudy orange-peach with yellow hues. Average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible, but its murkiness suggests it's unfiltered.

Has a raw overall appearance, evoking honey. It's healthy looking, but isn't great or a stand-out in the style. It looks as most gosebiere do. Not unique or special.

AROMA: A great combination of lime, sea salt, coriander seed, and fresh wheat. Hints of clove honey and floral hop notes, with a dab of nectar. Light lactic sourness. Subtle lemon tartness and twang. Sourdough bread. Sour mashing is evident here, but it's not as "wild" or bacterial as I hoped for. Sourness seems to be maybe a 3-4 out of 10 in terms of intensity. The wheat is lovely, though, and the yeast attenuation seems perfect; this evokes the perfect level of sweetness for the style.

It could be fresher, more tart, and more sour, but all of the core gose components are there. It's an inviting aroma of above average strength, but I wouldn't call it mouthwatering. It just seems like a well-brewed gose.

TASTE: A well-balanced gose build comprised of well-attuned lime, fantastic sea salt notes and accompanying brine, a faint lemon twang, mild (think 3/10 in terms of intensity) lactic sourness, sourdough yeast, and ever-so-subtle coriander seed. Perhaps cilantro as well. The hopping is mild - just a bit of floral and nectary character. There's a kiss of clove honey.

I'd like it more tart and more sour, but the sea salt is perfect - and that's the key to a good gose. The complementary lime note pairs with the sea salt wonderfully, and is a much more apt choice than lemon. The overall balance is stellar, but I do think there's room for improvement to the build. That said, I really like this beer. I'm just not blown away the way I expected to be given its reputation.

TEXTURE: Tart and smacky on the palate, with a luscious refreshing feel and a teasing push-pull of coarse dry roughness and quenching smoothness - depending on which bit of the structure you focus on. Ultimately, the finish leaves the palate dry, which naturally encourages the drinker's next sip. In this manner, I find my glass quickly disappearing.

OVERALL: It's incredibly drinkable, though the dryness does start to detract after a bit. Is this one of the best beers I've had in the style? Sure. Is it a world-class beer?

...I can imagine a more complex gose, with even more intricacy and subtlety. Perhaps such a gose just hasn't been brewed yet, but in any case I can't claim this a world-class offering. I'll really enjoy finishing this glass, and would happily snatch it up by the 6-pack, but there're noticeable flaws and opportunities for improvement.

This certainly makes me curious to review Westbrook's other offerings. Seems like quite a quality brewery.

Low B

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

From a selection of beers bought back from SC. Canned date of 7/1/14. First experience with this style

Poured into a pint glass, head disappeared quickly leaving a fizzy dark yellow hazy body. Taste was tart, very salty and a bit sour. Didn't pick up the corriander much. A dry puckering finish. I enjoyed this more when down in the heat of the south. Wasn't as refreshing back in the PA late summer.

My issues with this beer, and it may just be that I dont overly care for the style was that although it's only 4.0abv, It was a sipping beer, perhaps due to the saltiness. The other problem was that despite rinsing thoroughly with water and wiping off my lips, I found it near impossible to get rid of the saltiness, rendering the next beer I had slightly salty as well. Seems like this is a one and done last beer of the day for me.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Great flavor. But for this style I want drinkability. The tartness and saltiness is a little over done and it detracts from the sessionable qualities it has. Still very good, But I'll go with Lost Nation's or Rising Tide's.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a snifter glass at a bottle share. Much thanks to alexk307 for the can!

Real nice looking body. Orb glowing lemon yellow, white fluffy and thick carbonation off the pour, with a good creamy head.

Nose is kind interesting. Mild green like herbality, some nice lemon tartness with a soft bit of acid aroma. Good hint of salt but also a real sweet pink grapefruit quality. Kind of getting some radler like impressions on this. A bit jarring but very unique.

Palate comes off with little malt depth or chew. Slightly weak and watery, with the base aromas really not coming through as much on the palate. Hints of lemon and mild zest, but a little bit fleeting. Not much aftertaste either.

Overall fairly alright but lacking a lot of malt depth that I associate with this, and a bit of an odd ball aroma.

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.