Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gose Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,158 | Reviews: 287

Not a beer for me.

1.65/5  rDev -60.3%

Salty, very tart hard to finish. Salt taste overwhelming

1.76/5  rDev -57.7%

This beer tasted like a wet sock at low tide. I just don't understand the hype. What the hell is wrong with you people.

1.88/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Nasty taste. Why anyone would drink is beyond me

I feel bad about rating this so low. I have become serious about the world of craft beer for the last 3-4 years and am quite new to rating beers on BA. I have been learning so much about different styles and was excited to try my first gose. The saltiness and sour nature of this beer really challenges my notion of what beer is. Sadly, the sour and salty feel was too off putting for me. Perhaps this style is simply not for me or it will become an acquired taste. For now I can only say "blech!!!" I don't see myself even finishing this one.

2.02/5  rDev -51.4%

I like sours but this is to much craziest beer on the planet all hail the king Westbrook kicked my $&@

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

Found myself in South Carolina looking at the many offerings from Westbrook. The Gose had high ratings and was a beer style I haven't had so decided to try it.

Unfortunately I was not a fan of this beer. It was cloudy and did not have much carbonation. The smell to me was vinegar and musty herbs. The taste was like a turned cider that was poured over a salt block. I drank two to make certain that my palate was exposed and acclimated to the beer but the last swallow was only marginally better than the first.

So it seems my first experience with this style of beer will probably be my last but I am glad I tried it.

2.33/5  rDev -44%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't.

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%

Straight up acid and border line undrinkable.

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

this is the first I've had of this style and I did not like it. I'm writing this so my rating does not discourage anyone from trying this since it has a lot of good reviews and I know many people that like this beer. I think this is just not the style for me right now.

2.89/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can dated 24 July 2013 served in a pint glass.
Doesn't look very good, being a murky yellow brown that had no head after a few minutes.

Also does not smell appealing, but the flavor is actually rather good. The nose is definitely tart but still did not prepare me for the extremely tart flavor; about half as tart as lemon, perhaps. Quite salty, even for style. Unfortunate touch of vinegar.

O: very tart and interesting beer with one of the more extreme divergences I've encountered between smell and taste.

2.9/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I know sour beers are supposed to be all the rage these days. I've only had tastes of various sour beers and this Gose was my first time drinking an entire sour beer.

Not that I think the Gose was awful, I just don't want my beer to taste sour. The beer is refreshing in a weird and unexpected way. I didn't get any bit of saltiness or coriander as described on the can label.

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

Not a fan of sours

Not a huge Gose fan - but I have liked other takes on this style better.

I am probably the only person in the beer nerd world who did not love this beer. First off it has no head and looks cloudy. It smells slightly sour and not in a good way. The flavor was like sour green apples mashed into the world's worst apple sauce. I love sour beers but I drain poured this.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance is cloudy yellow, very little head - dropped down quickly.

I am NOT a fan of the aroma. I am looking and hoping for coriander but all I am getting is a sour funk up my nostrils.

Taste is better than I expected from initial whiff. Lots of sour lemon with a salty finish. I am also sensing the coriander on the back end.

Only my second ever gose so I rate as a newbie. Better as it warms up and my palette gets used to the tartness that is ever so present.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Not a huge Gose fan but everyone says this is one of the best. Not a salty beer fan

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Apparently this is what all the cool kids are drinking these days.

Sixer from Tri-Boro Beverage. Served two cans at a time. :)

Ommegang Anniversary glass. Hazy lemon/orange pour. Wispy inch of retreating white foam.

Smells of lemon-lime soda & a bunch of yeast. Something vaguely squash-like.

Tons of sour lemon upfront, along with a big scoop of gunky yeast. Metamucil comes to mind. Lactic. Maybe there's salt there, but all that lemon... No coriander to be found either, so sad. Maybe I'll serve the rest strained through some crushed seeds along with a sprig of cilantro.

Prickly carbonation. Goopy texture.

Totally different beast when compared to something traditional like Leipziger Gose, or even something more modern, like Barrier Brewing's rendition(which I also love).

Sourheads on a budget need to get their fix somehow I guess.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

By third sip it tastes like pure sea salt. Lost coriander flavor

3.22/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a hazy, dull, pale yellow color with almost no head

S-raw bread dough, salty, sour acidic fruits

T-sour fruits and saltiness destroy the palate and finish with a lingering bread dough flavor

MF-light bodied but mellow and smooth

O-my first representation of the style, so I can't exactly review based on style but I am not a fan of Gose's so far

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz can. Not really sure what this style should look like. Rather becalmed looking compared to most other brews. Hazy yellow gold. Some white head that disappears.

Aroma, Yeasty citrus to me, some minerally saltiness. Wheaty and corn like malt.

Taste, It is quite puckering up front, straight lemon. Dry but not overyly so. Other things come out much later in the finish. Again minerally salt, and a large hay and wheat grain.

High carbonation compared to what the appearance would lead one to believe. Drinks very easy, light body, but it is VERY tart. Never had the style so I guess this is fine.
Feels "trendy" because of the sourness. Probably wouldn't bother with this style again.

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

I'm sure this is a very traditional interpretation of the style, but it is one of the few Gose beers I'm just not over the moon about. It's salty, tart, but (in my opinion) not particularly refreshing. It's still a highly drinkable and sessionable beer, but nothing I would go out of my way to buy (again).

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A: Pale yellow, opaque, with a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Thick lacing.

S: Wheat, salt, coriander.

T: Tart and salty. Not as sour as I expected. Coriander, lemon and wheat pop in to give it a summer appeal. But the salt overwhelms, pushing everything else to the back seat.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Too salty for my taste. This beer is more of a novelty that should be shared at tastings just to finish off the can.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

I really shouldn't rate a beer in a category I probably don't like. This was my first Gose beer and I don't care for sour/wild ales either. I went easy on it (could've rated it a 1.00 to my tastes).

The sour and saltiness dominates big time. So if this is something your tastes buds crave, then this one is for you.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Hmmm... how does one rate a Gose if they have no basis for comparison? Well, I'm certainly going to try! Sours have never been my thing, but I've heard so much about this one in particular that I felt it would be a crime not to give it a try. With Westbrook in my backyard, and their stable of stellar beers, it had to live up to the hype, right? Sort of. Right from the start, the appearance is quite unappealing. Ugly even. Pours from the can in to a fluted pilsner glass with a cloudy, golden-yellow hue and a little transparency. Zero head. I wouldn't even know this is carbonated based upon the appearance. I hate to say this, but is looks like concentrated urine. The aroma is on par. Intense sour scents and perhaps a little lemon citrus are buried under a dirty urinal cake fragrance. Pretty gross really. Surprisingly, the taste completely transcends the other attributes. Fruity lemon-zinging tartness clears a path for a lingering grain flavor that imparts a little sweetness. The aftertaste reminds me a little of smarties candy, but with an obvious sour note. If you've ever enjoyed sour patch kids, this may be your beer. The body is thin & light, with a nice watery texture. Absolutely minimal carbonation. Just enough to give it a hint of effervescence. Surprisingly quenching, which invites the next curious gulp. One of the intriguing elements of this experience is that the sourness washes away pretty quickly, leaving behind a little residual saltiness. Then the salinity makes you feel compelled to take another drink. While this is certainly not for everybody, I have to imagine that the target audience agrees that Westbrook executed this one very well. If anything, this one got me curious to see what other Gose offerings are like. Isn't that the point of craft beer? To expand your horizons? Mission accomplished Westbrook.

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.