Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Reviews: 259 | Hads: 2,258
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This American interpretation of the Gose style -- which admittedly I'd never had prior to Westbrook's version -- is super salty, sour and delicious. Have heard many say that this is not actually what Gose is supposed to taste like, but it doesn't matter when a beer is this satisfyingly great. (293 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

My first Gose; not my last. "Sour, Salty, and Delicious" pretty much covers it. Quite the palate refresher. Odd yellowy color. Salty but not briney. One is quite good and probably my session limit. (197 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

A kind co-worker gave me a can of this to sample. Said it was highly rated on BA. "Sour and Salty," most definitely. But delicious? No.

Looks good and pours with minimal head, but the first sip reminds me of the the tapwater at Myrtle Beach: nasty. It tastes more like somebody poured salt and a little bit of lemon juice into a cheap Chardonnay. I just don't get the claim that this is delicious beer.

Yes, I drank it, the whole can. It was a gift, after all, and I wanted to give it a chance. But I would never buy one of these, there are too many good beers out there to waste money on brackish brew. (613 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big fan of this - great American Gose.

Pours gold with a bit of haze. Thin fizzy head forms and immediately retreats.

Nose is light, crisp with a hint of the sour.

Flavor is as described - light body with a nice level of sour, salt prevalent most on the finish. Very nice and amazing for the price. (303 characters)

I had heard others describe this as the "best Gose around" so I was admittedly a little disappointed when I finally got to try this beer.

It's salty and enjoyable with little else. A good beer to drink i the summer or with a meal. (232 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

This is still the best Gose out there in my opinion. It has just the right balance of salt and sourness with nearly perfect carbonation. This is the epitome of a go to summer beer for refreshment. (196 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up in Fort Mill

Pours a slightly hazed & effervescent straw color with a pinky of eggshell colored head. Stays effervescent, okay head retention & lacing

S: Sourness, wheatyness, lemon rinds

T: Sourness, dryness, tartness, & saltyness up front. Saltyness & tartness, lemons as this warms. Finishes tart, salty, & citrusy & very refreshing

MF: Medium body, lively carbonation, acidic

Drinks too easy, a good a take on the style as I've had. Would buy this all the time if I could (504 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can into a brandy snifter. NO head. Pours a golden lemon color that is barely opaque. Smells of lemons and wheat. Also smell sea salt almost. First sip is exactly what a gose should taste like: sour and salty. However, it is not over the top but it is salty and sour. This is a traditional sour salty wheat beer. Goes well with about anything but particularly spicy food. Slammed one with some BBQed baby back ribs and it went down quickly. Really interesting beer. Try if you have not. Good one! (515 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: hazy golden/straw colored with fizzy, thin white head that dissipates fairly quick. Noticeably high carbonation.

Aroma: tangy lacto and salt over a bready/wheaty malt base. Makes the back of my mouth salivate in anticipation of the sourness to come

Taste: puckering sour hits you first and then melds with salt before ending with some lemony/orange citrus notes and wheat.

Mouthfeel: The sourness and salt will hit the back of your tongue immediately. Thin body and moderately high carbonation. Leaves a tangy aftertaste in your mouth.

Overall: Gose is a widely varied style and I'm often disappointed with tame interpretation. For me, if you want a Gose, this is how you do it - lots of lacto and lots of salt. Very refreshing and crushable. (764 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer is straw yellow and glowy in the light. The head is fizzy and white, and it dissipates quickly. The liquid is very cloudy. The aroma is full of citrus and yogurty lacto sourness. Tangerine, lime, a little bit of malt sweetness and plenty of yogurt. Mild spicing. A little bit of brine. Kinda wish both of those flavors were turned up. Mildly to moderately sour. Lots more citrus. A bit more salt. Coriander still quite mild. Full on the palate but still quite light. Fairly effervescent. Very refreshing. Really great hot weather beer. (544 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Crazy salty and sour for just a 4% and you taste the sour even more than you smell it. My can poured deep yellow and the head disappeared almost immediately which I assume is from the amount of salt. Overall impressive sour. New pool beer for the summer. (254 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Never had tried this style before but was pleasantly surprised. First sip I can taste the salt but that washes away very quickly with strong lemon notes to a nice strong sour/tart finish. (187 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had it in can before on tap at brewery. The can was ridiculously salty but must have been the can because on tap at the brewery was a well balanced beer. Walked away with 48 cans and a 64oz growler fill. Will be shared with friends back home for what made it though the vacation :) (281 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I thought I hated Goses. Tried this. Was wrong. Perfectly tart/sour without tasting like stomach acid (Anderson Valley Holy Gose). Not too salty. Perfect amount of coriander. Great summer beer. (195 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy golden yellow color. Little head that faded to nothing after about a minute. Tart lemony, briney aroma, with a whiff of wheat. The flavor is huge, starting out very tart and citrusy, moving to salty to and just a touch of something resembling sweetness. Nice fairly thin mouthfeel, but certainly not watery. Great carbonation. Overall, superb beer, one of the best of its style. (383 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

's Bier des Tages: Westbrook Brewing (Mt. Pleasant, SC): "Gose":our aroma. Hazy, straw color. Oh! Starts with a great fruitiness, lots of sour, and malt behind it. Moves into a more pronounced sourness, then the salt comes through with coriander. As this diminishes, there is a nice, lovely wave of malt.

This is stunning. Everything I like about the style. This one is markedly more salty than others, but that works very well. (433 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20%

I'm sure this is a very traditional interpretation of the style, but it is one of the few Gose beers I'm just not over the moon about. It's salty, tart, but (in my opinion) not particularly refreshing. It's still a highly drinkable and sessionable beer, but nothing I would go out of my way to buy (again). (306 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Drank this one straight from the can. Sue me. Smells like straight lemon juice and salt. Taste follows suit. Wow. I'm surprised how sour this thing is. And only 4% abv. Easily the best session beer. Period. (206 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 3/2015:
Pours hazy white-yellow with bubbly white head that grows pretty high before settling down to a half finger, lasting.
Nose is lemon sour with a decent pop of salinity. Maybe some peach or sour apple behind the powerful main scents.

Taste is lemony sour, hint of vinegar, some sour apple and near the end of the bite, a little plain yogurt tang. About the time the sour is fading out, the salty part of the beer grabs my tongue. Very crisp and clean base, I almost think I could get a little more feel from the wheat.

Definitely a classic, about more on the sour side of the style, based on the other offerings I've had. Will grab more each time I have a chance. (684 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Honeymoon Beer Review #1
A- Pours very cloudy yellow. A popping finger of head is bleached white. It disapears almost instantly. Lacking good glassware I'm using a white wine glass for this, which probably isn't doing wonders for the head, although it does work well with the aroma i think.

S- Light lemon and orange. There's notes of old wood that are appealing- like an old hardwood table at your grandparents house. Maybe some old weathered leather. Some spice- coriander and poppyseeds and maybe vanilla.

T- A little citrusy. Mostly more general, almost vinegary sourness. The leather and wood flavors as well as the spice come with the taste. Reminds me somewhat of a plain kombucha, but nothing huge going on here.

M- Quite tart and refreshing. The sourness doesn't cling to the mouth or make me pucker too much, but the flavor lasts for more than a few seconds. It's a little more syrupy/sticky sweet than I would expect but that's ok. I'd also expect a little more carbonation- this is on the pale lager/ale side of things rather than an effervescent wheat beer. I can't decide if that would be more refreshing that way or just overwhelming and sharp when combined with the sourness.

O- The best gose I've had (though hard to recall too many others). It's refreshing, not overpowering. Depending on your tolerance of sour beers you could take a few of these. (1,370 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great Gose representation. Awesome light tart beer, as others have mentioned great for summer time events, if you like the style, and I do. Would never hesitate to purchase this given the opportunity again. Fantastic. (220 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lemonade with salt substituted for sugar.
Easy to drink and swallow (malt). Fighting a puckerface followed by a grassy aftertaste, occasionally spice (coriander, I'm assuming). Sourness is always there - you don't just "get used to it".
Good refreshing summer drink, as long as you keep it cold. As it warms up, the saltiness comes through more and it becomes almost...pungent. I will drink again for sure. (406 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Cloudy Yellow color, decent head that fades quickly
S- Sour, lemon
T/F- Tart, sea salt is present
O- First sour and it was very good. Leaves you puckered after each drink. I enjoyed it and would again. (204 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can tasted 8 March 2015.

Pours an almost clear pale golden light yellow. Two fingers of white head, good retention, okay lacing.

Smell is nicely balanced. I get some sour, slightly lemony.

Taste is a little grainy, and saltier than I'd like. Finishes rounded and warm, maltier and fuller than I want. Needs sharpening.

Feel has the same issues as the taste. Heavier than it ought to be.

Overall, a nice beer. Taste is a little too sweet and too salty for me, not as sour as I'd like it to be. Also a bit full for the style. (528 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Extra salty, sour middle, bone dry finish. The salt takes over and a bit overbearing. Glad I tried it. Wish the sourness was more pronounced than the saltiness. (161 characters)

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.