Follow our progress ...

Gose | Westbrook Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co.
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: Gose

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Added by mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

Reviews: 298 | Ratings: 2,472

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (canned on 6/16/14, 725/726)

It seems that I missed the best by date (9/14/14) by 64 days.

A: Muddy, brackish dirty blonde brine. Nice bit of finger-head on the pour.
S: Salty seawater, with some tart funk on side.
T: Salty, like moist sea salt. Good and solid gose. An excellent base to build off of, as shown by Gozu and Gose Gone Wild.
M: Tiny bit of rough carbonation.
O: It kind of sucks that my introduction to Westbrook's Gose came in the form of its variants first. I had the Gozu first, which was much complex with the full flavor of the Yuzu in it. Then, I had the Gose Gone Wild, which was brought by its maker to a bottleshare. The GGW is much more tart and more akin to a classic sour. This is great, but really kind of pales in comparison to its brethren.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

Full disclosure; this is a re-review. I tried this a while back early on in my craft career. It was my first gose.at the time, it was too much for me. The sour and saltiness was ofputting. Since then, The style has grown on me. I've deleted my previous rating and review, and will now give this one a fair shot.
Look- straw colored and light golden. A modest head quickly disapates and reveals no lacing.
Smell- salty, briny and barnyard like on the nose. Then, other aromas come through later on. Wheat, floral tones, fruit, even some sweetness.
Taste- this one is very sour. Sour fruits, green apples and green grapes. I did not find the salt as overwhelming as last time. The finish is bone dry and mouth puckering.
Feel- light, crisp and refreshing.
I'm definetely upgrading this one. It is not my favorite gose as I find that other examples have a sweetness that balances the sour. This one is intense. It's still good though.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Received via trade, crisp, sour, and very refreshing. The saltiness is not as present as I was fearing. The light nature of this beer makes it very easy to drink and the sour/tart nature keeps you from drinking too fast allowing the beer to be savored one drink at a time. Big thanks to AW for sending me a can as an extra in a trade!

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour out of a can into my Founder teku glass...

The beer pours an attactive peachy amber color with pretty good head retention and fair lacing. The nose is intriguing. While there's a noticeable sour brett component, there's a fair amount of tropical fruit as well, and it actually blends quite well with the sour component. The flavor component largely replicates the nose, except the sour flavor dominates a bit more on the palate than it did on nose. Still, along with the sour, there's an interesting apple sauce and light tropical fruit component as well, with a hint of salt on the finish.. Mouthfeel actually fairly full, and the beer delivers an impressive amount of flavor, especially for the abv. Drinkabilithy is quite good, and I appreciate the 4% abv.

Very nice beer. We have a number of NW brewers out here that make excellent gose style beers, but none of them are quite like this. Impressive.

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance is cloudy yellow, very little head - dropped down quickly.

I am NOT a fan of the aroma. I am looking and hoping for coriander but all I am getting is a sour funk up my nostrils.

Taste is better than I expected from initial whiff. Lots of sour lemon with a salty finish. I am also sensing the coriander on the back end.

Only my second ever gose so I rate as a newbie. Better as it warms up and my palette gets used to the tartness that is ever so present.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: clear yellow. fat, fluffy white head.
smell: Citrusy tart. Fairly rich with grain and salt.
taste: Things come together nicely in the taste. tart and sour and salty w/o any of taking over. Surprisingly drinkable.
overall: Not gonna win my heart from the big stouts and barleys but a nice change of pace.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma is lemony, saline, crackery, and slightly funky. Lemon dominates, but there's some musty character. Flavor is extremely acidic. Citric and acetic acid are huge upfront, though lactic surfaces mid palate, and acetic and citric carry into the finish. One of the more sour examples of the style. Salt weaves throughout, but it's countered by lightly bready malt in the finish. A little too acetic. Wish lactic were less overwhelmed.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: pours with two fingers of bubbly head which quickly dissipated to nil. The color is a darker straw yellow that is completely cloudy. Minimal active carbonation.

Smell: Salt and dried fruits on the front. Coriander warms after the front with a light, lingering funk hanging around. Biscuity malts win out on the back end with some well placed tropical fruits popping through. Saltiness carries throughout the aroma.

Taste: An easy wheat front is quickly overtaken by a balanced combination of salt and sour. Waves of funk and salt continue to splash over the palate and are unrelenting. Touches of fruit and straw pick up on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Palate is left dry which really allows wheat, fruit, and funky flavors to shine through. Carbonation is low but fitting.

Overall: Been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Super tasty and levels of complexity that many other Gose do not have. I could crush this all day long.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden straw color with a stark white head that fades fast and leaves little to no lacing. Smell of wheat, grain, funk, lemon, lime, and sea breeze. Flavor opens up with a nice tart lemon and lime bite. Notes of grains from the wheat weave into the mix. Finish brings a tart, spicy and salty finish. Prickly mouthfeel from the carbonation, light body and dry finish is nearly perfect. Overall this is just a great beer that's refreshing and different.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Canned 9/16, poured into a snifter. Gold, yellow, cloudy with one finger of off yellow head. Good retention. Smells of fresh lemon and some tart candy. Mouth feel is fizzy and sharp but exactly what was expected. Taste is salt, sour, lemony goodness with a great balance of tart, salty, sweet and citrus. Dry finish. Yum!

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a cold can into a snifter. The beer pours a bright clear gold color with bleached white head. Kind of looks like champagne, until the end of the pour is mucky and sediment laden with brown chunks.
Aroma is some twangy wheat and bit of tart lime and some husky grain. I also get a bit of sweet spiciness, coriander I think, which was agreeable.
Very carbonated and fizzy! Prickles my lips immediately. Flavor is tart and crisp with lemon and lime and a little wheat twang. I also get just a bit of sweet fruit but that is gone quickly after each sip. Finish is very dry and leaves a lingering tart across my palate. I find this enjoyable but wonder if I would want more than one of these on any given day.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Can: Poured a light yellowish color Gose with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of tart notes with light salty notes also discernable. Taste is a mxi between some tart and sour notes with a salty finish and limited coriander notes. Body is light with good carbonation. I had really high expectation considering all the noise this one is making but I thought it was an OK version of the style at the end of the day.

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy and hay colored. Good fluffy head to begins that's gone quickly. Slightly sour aroma, light grain. Tart, lime, clean, with the wheat playing second fiddle to the other components. Medium body and medium to high carbonation. Clean and sour from start to finish.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

A pale yellow color, this beer is very thick and almost dull in appearance. It looks like a lemon soda; it sounds like it too, as what little white head it starts with audibly fizzes away. Very little lingers on the edges, and some vigor does bring it back now and then.
The smell brings lots of juicy tanginess under the wheat, the dryness accentuating the acidic notes. Either lemon or lime bring in the sour, and a soft spiciness speaks to the coriander, which creeps in quietly and shows itself in the periphery.
Tons of flavor comes out on the tongue, the sourness hard but not overwhelming, combining well with the equally strong tartness. It's distinctly lime, here. The coriander, still soft, comes gently into the middle, and the salt is just a sneaky presence underneath to add to the effect this beer has in causing the mouth to water (not figuratively, though that too).
Acidic and dry, the wheat gives it some softness and a dryness to keep it from scraping the tongue too hard. It does meet the claim of being refreshing, as the body does lean light, but it's got that puckering sourness to it as well.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared at a 10K review beer tasting; drank from a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter.

Pours light golden with a short-lived bubbly white head that leaves minimal lacing. The nose is crisp, spicy, green apple, lemon and a wisp of salt. On the palate, tart, lemon and mild salinity, a touch grainy and a nice hint of must (in a good way). It is light and bubbly and would be the perfect summer patio beer.

Fantastic, pours cloudy like juice. Lemony smell and a bit of a tart and salty taste. Low ABV I could drink this all day long. Unfortunately not available in my area, because I would consume a case a week.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A: Pale yellow, opaque, with a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Thick lacing.

S: Wheat, salt, coriander.

T: Tart and salty. Not as sour as I expected. Coriander, lemon and wheat pop in to give it a summer appeal. But the salt overwhelms, pushing everything else to the back seat.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Too salty for my taste. This beer is more of a novelty that should be shared at tastings just to finish off the can.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz can. Pours hazy golden orange with a big fizzy white head that retains fairly well and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is tart lemon, salt and wheat malts.

The flavor is tart and sweet lemon with some salt in the background. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid gose with lots of tart sour lemon and some salt.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So Lurkaholic just gives me this, my #1 want the other day. Well let me tell you, his generosity is only exceeded by his handsomeness. Thanks buddy!! I will have to remember to ask you for more of your awesome beer in the future.

Appearance. Pours a very hazy honey-gold with a thin white head that fades quickly.

Smell. Lemon and other sour citrus juices, some sweet grainy wheat and a little bit briny.

Taste. Nice lime juice sourness, light grainy wheat with just a touch of sweetness, maybe a little musty funk there as well. Nice.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body, medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Very nice, crisp and pleasant, completely crushable. Thanks again Tom!!!

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%

Received as an extra in a trade.

A- Murky golden with a light, white head of about 1 finger that quickly dissipates. True to style here. 4

S- Funk and acidity. Raw and untamed. Hints of lemon and coriander. Some herbal notes mixed in here. Moderate intensity. 4

T/M- Here we go. Salty, sour goodness. Starts sweet, goes sour, finishes crisp and clean, then a healthy does of salt in the aftertaste. Where this thing really impresses me is the feel. More full and creamy than you would expect at 4%. I can really dig it. 4.25

O- Right there with Gose Gone Wild as my favorite in the style. Maybe a slight edge to GGW, but still a really impressive gose here.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Give to me by the ever generous "Huzubendah."

Poured into a Port City glass.

A: Ridiculously cloudy orange, with an Alka-Seltzer-esque quality to it. No head really.
S: Sweet tarts, very mild at that.
T: Totally awesome sour component. Can't believe this doesn't have wild yeast in it.
M: Drying after a mere sip. Great stuff.
O: If someone were to give this to me sight unseen, I'da tagged it as an American Wild.

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: It has a beautiful hazy golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice white head that dies down somewhat fast and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of wheat malts, some tart lemon, coriander and some sea salt.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some tart lemons upfront, wheat malts, some coriander, citrus and a touch of salt.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas.

Serving type: can

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours a cloudy pale golden color with a quickly receding cream colored head.

S: Tart wheat, a lot of salt, coriander, hay and some brine.

T: Umami is a good descriptor here. Sharply tart and salty upfront. A touch of a lactic twang with a backend of light wheat and coriander. Fades into sea salt and just a hint of citrus. Lemon is in there somewhere. Ridiculously refreshing and a fantastic take on the style.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

From a selection of beers bought back from SC. Canned date of 7/1/14. First experience with this style

Poured into a pint glass, head disappeared quickly leaving a fizzy dark yellow hazy body. Taste was tart, very salty and a bit sour. Didn't pick up the corriander much. A dry puckering finish. I enjoyed this more when down in the heat of the south. Wasn't as refreshing back in the PA late summer.

My issues with this beer, and it may just be that I dont overly care for the style was that although it's only 4.0abv, It was a sipping beer, perhaps due to the saltiness. The other problem was that despite rinsing thoroughly with water and wiping off my lips, I found it near impossible to get rid of the saltiness, rendering the next beer I had slightly salty as well. Seems like this is a one and done last beer of the day for me.

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.