Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

(Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gose Alström Bros
4.34/5  rDev +4.3%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I am probably the only person in the beer nerd world who did not love this beer. First off it has no head and looks cloudy. It smells slightly sour and not in a good way. The flavor was like sour green apples mashed into the world's worst apple sauce. I love sour beers but I drain poured this.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

The perfect sour beer.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Sour and salty. There hasn't been a better combo since nuts and gum!! In all seriousness.. I really enjoyed this sour.

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (canned on 6/16/14, 725/726)

It seems that I missed the best by date (9/14/14) by 64 days.

A: Muddy, brackish dirty blonde brine. Nice bit of finger-head on the pour.
S: Salty seawater, with some tart funk on side.
T: Salty, like moist sea salt. Good and solid gose. An excellent base to build off of, as shown by Gozu and Gose Gone Wild.
M: Tiny bit of rough carbonation.
O: It kind of sucks that my introduction to Westbrook's Gose came in the form of its variants first. I had the Gozu first, which was much complex with the full flavor of the Yuzu in it. Then, I had the Gose Gone Wild, which was brought by its maker to a bottleshare. The GGW is much more tart and more akin to a classic sour. This is great, but really kind of pales in comparison to its brethren.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

I feel bad about rating this so low. I have become serious about the world of craft beer for the last 3-4 years and am quite new to rating beers on BA. I have been learning so much about different styles and was excited to try my first gose. The saltiness and sour nature of this beer really challenges my notion of what beer is. Sadly, the sour and salty feel was too off putting for me. Perhaps this style is simply not for me or it will become an acquired taste. For now I can only say "blech!!!" I don't see myself even finishing this one.

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.