Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

GoseGose

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Reviews: 259 | Hads: 2,250
3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

07/23/14 on the bottom of the can (maybe I shouldn't have let this one sit around so long)

A: Pours a cloudy pale orange. Small and very fizzy light tan head. Head fizzes out like soda in just a matter of two seconds. Zero lacing or any sort of head retention.

S: Wheaty with some coriander I think? Very witbier-esque except there is a notable tartness to it. Lemon peel I'd say.

T: Huh. Pretty much as described. Wheaty initially with that coriander (again, like a witbier) but immediately turns sour in the middle with a nice tart lemon peel. Not super salty but I get a bit of it in the finish. Flavors are big, bold and in your face. Some of the strongest flavors I've ever had in a 4% brew.

M: Light body but smooth. Quite sour, giving it a refreshing kick.

O: Interesting brew. Lots of sour citrus backed by the smoothness of the wheat. Drinkability is fairly good, though it's a little TOO sour to be truly sessionable, IMO. It is quite crisp and refreshing though, one of the best in that regards. Very nice example of the style, perhaps the best I've had (not that there's too many of them out there). (1,117 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is not a good introduction to the gose genre. Now is it a good gose? Yes, but man is it intense. Heavily dosed with sea salt and lemon, it's a fun beer, for sure. (168 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Poured can into weiss glass huge 3 finger head fluffy white head. Beer is darker yellow and cloudy

Smell - a bit weak, can get some lactic acidity

Taste - Sour and salty as advertised! Little bit of sweetness is quickly crushed by the tartness
Saltiness lingers

Feel - lighter body and medium carb. dry finish for sure

Overall - Very Enjoyable brew. I'm fairly new to the style but have to go with this as my fave (437 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

Found myself in South Carolina looking at the many offerings from Westbrook. The Gose had high ratings and was a beer style I haven't had so decided to try it.

Unfortunately I was not a fan of this beer. It was cloudy and did not have much carbonation. The smell to me was vinegar and musty herbs. The taste was like a turned cider that was poured over a salt block. I drank two to make certain that my palate was exposed and acclimated to the beer but the last swallow was only marginally better than the first.

So it seems my first experience with this style of beer will probably be my last but I am glad I tried it. (621 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

New to the style? Take two sips. One to shock your pallet, and the next to decide if you like it. Most will either love or hate this beer. I don't expect many people to find it just "ok". (187 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can , canned 11/07/14

Clouded, light and dull lemon/orange, off white quality loose head, high collar and thicker film. Leaves nice scattered way up high lacing'

Mild sniff of orange.

Fresh and flavorful, with loads of bright orange and biting sour lemon notes.

Well worth a try (292 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I like Gose, it was my newly discovered accidental style of the year. I finally had the opportunity to try this one and it was a pleasant change of pace from all the bold dark beers I have been drinking this winter/late fall.

Appearance: Gose's are not all that attractive in this respect. Hazy yellow decent amount of head. Traditional look to the color.

Aroma: Not too much of the funkiness that some of these have, it does have a bit of the rancid wheat thing going on. Not really strong in that department, lemon zest and hard cider in the nose.

Taste: A little funkiness, but pretty mild. Lemon and salt, some green apple cider notes and finishes really clean.

Overall: Probably the best Gose I have had. I look forward to drinking a lot more of this style in the new year to come, especially in the warmer months! (826 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a slightly murky golden amber color with a fluffy white head. The head dissipates almost immediately and leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is excellent, filled with citrus fruit, coriander spice, and sea salt. The taste follows suit but lactic sourness dominates. Overall, it's light bodied, very dry and refreshing.

I haven't had many beers in this style to compare this one with, but if you put this side by side with Anderson Valley's The Kimmie, The Yink, & The Holy Gose, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference. Made an excellent pairing with a Thai yellow curry dish. The citrus in the beer really goes nicely with the bright flavors of the curry and the sourness cuts right through the spice. (727 characters)

12oz can served in a pilsener glass (thanks Joe!). Pours a dull, milky yellow with a sizzling quarter inch bright white head the immediately disperses. Nose expresses citric acid, a light yeasty quality and a hint of brine. Taste follows nose - pleasantly tart, citrusy and salty. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, effervescent carbonation and a mild acidity that lightly stimulates the salivary glands. Probably only the third Gose I've ever tried. Reminds me of a salty Belinner-Weisse. Very refreshing - I'd love to have access to this during the warm weather. (578 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

Cloudy straw body with very little initial head that fades to nothingness. Can't say it is a very attractive beer but on par for most sours.

Sour mash that has a distinct apple and lemon fruitiness to it. Noticeable amounts of coriander and complex spice over the barely detectable grains. Some must and dough in there. I enjoy that the aroma is not overly grainy.

Wow what a trip, straw and sourdough grains are very tightly integrated with a lemon and dampered lime and apple fruit and lactic tartness. A dusting of mustiness and softening meringue. The sea salt balance is absolutely perfect adding an element of complexity that also reduces tartness.

Not grainy at all is my take from this, medium body and very well balanced. Carbonation is active but not overbearing. I would prefer that this be a bit more dry since the tartness is smoothed over. Very drinkable.

Gone too soon, a refreshing and balanced gose that doesn't come off as grainy or watery. Probably the best version of this style currently available in the states. (1,045 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I acquired this in a trade. Expectations could not be higher given this beer's reputation as more or less the best beer in the style. Canned 06/27/14. 12 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art and design and standard pull-tab served cold into a Jester King goblet. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

4% ABV. Reviewed live as a gose per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. White in colour. Fizzy and active. Thin and light. Retention is bad - maybe a minute at best. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. A fuller longer-lasting head would be ideal. There's definite room for improvement here.

BODY: Murky cloudy orange-peach with yellow hues. Average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible, but its murkiness suggests it's unfiltered.

Has a raw overall appearance, evoking honey. It's healthy looking, but isn't great or a stand-out in the style. It looks as most gosebiere do. Not unique or special.

AROMA: A great combination of lime, sea salt, coriander seed, and fresh wheat. Hints of clove honey and floral hop notes, with a dab of nectar. Light lactic sourness. Subtle lemon tartness and twang. Sourdough bread. Sour mashing is evident here, but it's not as "wild" or bacterial as I hoped for. Sourness seems to be maybe a 3-4 out of 10 in terms of intensity. The wheat is lovely, though, and the yeast attenuation seems perfect; this evokes the perfect level of sweetness for the style.

It could be fresher, more tart, and more sour, but all of the core gose components are there. It's an inviting aroma of above average strength, but I wouldn't call it mouthwatering. It just seems like a well-brewed gose.

TASTE: A well-balanced gose build comprised of well-attuned lime, fantastic sea salt notes and accompanying brine, a faint lemon twang, mild (think 3/10 in terms of intensity) lactic sourness, sourdough yeast, and ever-so-subtle coriander seed. Perhaps cilantro as well. The hopping is mild - just a bit of floral and nectary character. There's a kiss of clove honey.

I'd like it more tart and more sour, but the sea salt is perfect - and that's the key to a good gose. The complementary lime note pairs with the sea salt wonderfully, and is a much more apt choice than lemon. The overall balance is stellar, but I do think there's room for improvement to the build. That said, I really like this beer. I'm just not blown away the way I expected to be given its reputation.

TEXTURE: Tart and smacky on the palate, with a luscious refreshing feel and a teasing push-pull of coarse dry roughness and quenching smoothness - depending on which bit of the structure you focus on. Ultimately, the finish leaves the palate dry, which naturally encourages the drinker's next sip. In this manner, I find my glass quickly disappearing.

OVERALL: It's incredibly drinkable, though the dryness does start to detract after a bit. Is this one of the best beers I've had in the style? Sure. Is it a world-class beer?

...I can imagine a more complex gose, with even more intricacy and subtlety. Perhaps such a gose just hasn't been brewed yet, but in any case I can't claim this a world-class offering. I'll really enjoy finishing this glass, and would happily snatch it up by the 6-pack, but there're noticeable flaws and opportunities for improvement.

This certainly makes me curious to review Westbrook's other offerings. Seems like quite a quality brewery.

Low B (3,471 characters)

I am probably the only person in the beer nerd world who did not love this beer. First off it has no head and looks cloudy. It smells slightly sour and not in a good way. The flavor was like sour green apples mashed into the world's worst apple sauce. I love sour beers but I drain poured this. (295 characters)

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (canned on 6/16/14, 725/726)

It seems that I missed the best by date (9/14/14) by 64 days.

A: Muddy, brackish dirty blonde brine. Nice bit of finger-head on the pour.
S: Salty seawater, with some tart funk on side.
T: Salty, like moist sea salt. Good and solid gose. An excellent base to build off of, as shown by Gozu and Gose Gone Wild.
M: Tiny bit of rough carbonation.
O: It kind of sucks that my introduction to Westbrook's Gose came in the form of its variants first. I had the Gozu first, which was much complex with the full flavor of the Yuzu in it. Then, I had the Gose Gone Wild, which was brought by its maker to a bottleshare. The GGW is much more tart and more akin to a classic sour. This is great, but really kind of pales in comparison to its brethren. (829 characters)

I feel bad about rating this so low. I have become serious about the world of craft beer for the last 3-4 years and am quite new to rating beers on BA. I have been learning so much about different styles and was excited to try my first gose. The saltiness and sour nature of this beer really challenges my notion of what beer is. Sadly, the sour and salty feel was too off putting for me. Perhaps this style is simply not for me or it will become an acquired taste. For now I can only say "blech!!!" I don't see myself even finishing this one. (543 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Received via trade, crisp, sour, and very refreshing. The saltiness is not as present as I was fearing. The light nature of this beer makes it very easy to drink and the sour/tart nature keeps you from drinking too fast allowing the beer to be savored one drink at a time. Big thanks to AW for sending me a can as an extra in a trade! (334 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour out of a can into my Founder teku glass...

The beer pours an attactive peachy amber color with pretty good head retention and fair lacing. The nose is intriguing. While there's a noticeable sour brett component, there's a fair amount of tropical fruit as well, and it actually blends quite well with the sour component. The flavor component largely replicates the nose, except the sour flavor dominates a bit more on the palate than it did on nose. Still, along with the sour, there's an interesting apple sauce and light tropical fruit component as well, with a hint of salt on the finish.. Mouthfeel actually fairly full, and the beer delivers an impressive amount of flavor, especially for the abv. Drinkabilithy is quite good, and I appreciate the 4% abv.

Very nice beer. We have a number of NW brewers out here that make excellent gose style beers, but none of them are quite like this. Impressive. (922 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't. (994 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance is cloudy yellow, very little head - dropped down quickly.

I am NOT a fan of the aroma. I am looking and hoping for coriander but all I am getting is a sour funk up my nostrils.

Taste is better than I expected from initial whiff. Lots of sour lemon with a salty finish. I am also sensing the coriander on the back end.

Only my second ever gose so I rate as a newbie. Better as it warms up and my palette gets used to the tartness that is ever so present. (468 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: clear yellow. fat, fluffy white head.
smell: Citrusy tart. Fairly rich with grain and salt.
taste: Things come together nicely in the taste. tart and sour and salty w/o any of taking over. Surprisingly drinkable.
overall: Not gonna win my heart from the big stouts and barleys but a nice change of pace. (310 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Aroma is lemony, saline, crackery, and slightly funky. Lemon dominates, but there's some musty character. Flavor is extremely acidic. Citric and acetic acid are huge upfront, though lactic surfaces mid palate, and acetic and citric carry into the finish. One of the more sour examples of the style. Salt weaves throughout, but it's countered by lightly bready malt in the finish. A little too acetic. Wish lactic were less overwhelmed. (435 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: pours with two fingers of bubbly head which quickly dissipated to nil. The color is a darker straw yellow that is completely cloudy. Minimal active carbonation.

Smell: Salt and dried fruits on the front. Coriander warms after the front with a light, lingering funk hanging around. Biscuity malts win out on the back end with some well placed tropical fruits popping through. Saltiness carries throughout the aroma.

Taste: An easy wheat front is quickly overtaken by a balanced combination of salt and sour. Waves of funk and salt continue to splash over the palate and are unrelenting. Touches of fruit and straw pick up on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Palate is left dry which really allows wheat, fruit, and funky flavors to shine through. Carbonation is low but fitting.

Overall: Been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Super tasty and levels of complexity that many other Gose do not have. I could crush this all day long. (963 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden straw color with a stark white head that fades fast and leaves little to no lacing. Smell of wheat, grain, funk, lemon, lime, and sea breeze. Flavor opens up with a nice tart lemon and lime bite. Notes of grains from the wheat weave into the mix. Finish brings a tart, spicy and salty finish. Prickly mouthfeel from the carbonation, light body and dry finish is nearly perfect. Overall this is just a great beer that's refreshing and different. (457 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Canned 9/16, poured into a snifter. Gold, yellow, cloudy with one finger of off yellow head. Good retention. Smells of fresh lemon and some tart candy. Mouth feel is fizzy and sharp but exactly what was expected. Taste is salt, sour, lemony goodness with a great balance of tart, salty, sweet and citrus. Dry finish. Yum! (328 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a cold can into a snifter. The beer pours a bright clear gold color with bleached white head. Kind of looks like champagne, until the end of the pour is mucky and sediment laden with brown chunks.
Aroma is some twangy wheat and bit of tart lime and some husky grain. I also get a bit of sweet spiciness, coriander I think, which was agreeable.
Very carbonated and fizzy! Prickles my lips immediately. Flavor is tart and crisp with lemon and lime and a little wheat twang. I also get just a bit of sweet fruit but that is gone quickly after each sip. Finish is very dry and leaves a lingering tart across my palate. I find this enjoyable but wonder if I would want more than one of these on any given day. (724 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Can: Poured a light yellowish color Gose with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of tart notes with light salty notes also discernable. Taste is a mxi between some tart and sour notes with a salty finish and limited coriander notes. Body is light with good carbonation. I had really high expectation considering all the noise this one is making but I thought it was an OK version of the style at the end of the day. (416 characters)

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.