Gose - Westbrook Brewing Co.

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Gose |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mrandypandy on 05-06-2012

This is our interpretation of Gose (pronounced “Gose-uh”), a traditional German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt. Once nearly extinct, this very refreshing style is making a comeback.

Reviews: 275 | Hads: 2,337
4.24/5  rDev +3.2%

Cloudy straw body with very little initial head that fades to nothingness. Can't say it is a very attractive beer but on par for most sours.

Sour mash that has a distinct apple and lemon fruitiness to it. Noticeable amounts of coriander and complex spice over the barely detectable grains. Some must and dough in there. I enjoy that the aroma is not overly grainy.

Wow what a trip, straw and sourdough grains are very tightly integrated with a lemon and dampered lime and apple fruit and lactic tartness. A dusting of mustiness and softening meringue. The sea salt balance is absolutely perfect adding an element of complexity that also reduces tartness.

Not grainy at all is my take from this, medium body and very well balanced. Carbonation is active but not overbearing. I would prefer that this be a bit more dry since the tartness is smoothed over. Very drinkable.

Gone too soon, a refreshing and balanced gose that doesn't come off as grainy or watery. Probably the best version of this style currently available in the states.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I acquired this in a trade. Expectations could not be higher given this beer's reputation as more or less the best beer in the style. Canned 06/27/14. 12 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art and design and standard pull-tab served cold into a Jester King goblet. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

4% ABV. Reviewed live as a gose per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1.5 fingers wide. White in colour. Fizzy and active. Thin and light. Retention is bad - maybe a minute at best. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. A fuller longer-lasting head would be ideal. There's definite room for improvement here.

BODY: Murky cloudy orange-peach with yellow hues. Average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible, but its murkiness suggests it's unfiltered.

Has a raw overall appearance, evoking honey. It's healthy looking, but isn't great or a stand-out in the style. It looks as most gosebiere do. Not unique or special.

AROMA: A great combination of lime, sea salt, coriander seed, and fresh wheat. Hints of clove honey and floral hop notes, with a dab of nectar. Light lactic sourness. Subtle lemon tartness and twang. Sourdough bread. Sour mashing is evident here, but it's not as "wild" or bacterial as I hoped for. Sourness seems to be maybe a 3-4 out of 10 in terms of intensity. The wheat is lovely, though, and the yeast attenuation seems perfect; this evokes the perfect level of sweetness for the style.

It could be fresher, more tart, and more sour, but all of the core gose components are there. It's an inviting aroma of above average strength, but I wouldn't call it mouthwatering. It just seems like a well-brewed gose.

TASTE: A well-balanced gose build comprised of well-attuned lime, fantastic sea salt notes and accompanying brine, a faint lemon twang, mild (think 3/10 in terms of intensity) lactic sourness, sourdough yeast, and ever-so-subtle coriander seed. Perhaps cilantro as well. The hopping is mild - just a bit of floral and nectary character. There's a kiss of clove honey.

I'd like it more tart and more sour, but the sea salt is perfect - and that's the key to a good gose. The complementary lime note pairs with the sea salt wonderfully, and is a much more apt choice than lemon. The overall balance is stellar, but I do think there's room for improvement to the build. That said, I really like this beer. I'm just not blown away the way I expected to be given its reputation.

TEXTURE: Tart and smacky on the palate, with a luscious refreshing feel and a teasing push-pull of coarse dry roughness and quenching smoothness - depending on which bit of the structure you focus on. Ultimately, the finish leaves the palate dry, which naturally encourages the drinker's next sip. In this manner, I find my glass quickly disappearing.

OVERALL: It's incredibly drinkable, though the dryness does start to detract after a bit. Is this one of the best beers I've had in the style? Sure. Is it a world-class beer?

...I can imagine a more complex gose, with even more intricacy and subtlety. Perhaps such a gose just hasn't been brewed yet, but in any case I can't claim this a world-class offering. I'll really enjoy finishing this glass, and would happily snatch it up by the 6-pack, but there're noticeable flaws and opportunities for improvement.

This certainly makes me curious to review Westbrook's other offerings. Seems like quite a quality brewery.

Low B

I am probably the only person in the beer nerd world who did not love this beer. First off it has no head and looks cloudy. It smells slightly sour and not in a good way. The flavor was like sour green apples mashed into the world's worst apple sauce. I love sour beers but I drain poured this.

12 oz. can poured into a Burley Oak snifter (canned on 6/16/14, 725/726)

It seems that I missed the best by date (9/14/14) by 64 days.

A: Muddy, brackish dirty blonde brine. Nice bit of finger-head on the pour.
S: Salty seawater, with some tart funk on side.
T: Salty, like moist sea salt. Good and solid gose. An excellent base to build off of, as shown by Gozu and Gose Gone Wild.
M: Tiny bit of rough carbonation.
O: It kind of sucks that my introduction to Westbrook's Gose came in the form of its variants first. I had the Gozu first, which was much complex with the full flavor of the Yuzu in it. Then, I had the Gose Gone Wild, which was brought by its maker to a bottleshare. The GGW is much more tart and more akin to a classic sour. This is great, but really kind of pales in comparison to its brethren.

I feel bad about rating this so low. I have become serious about the world of craft beer for the last 3-4 years and am quite new to rating beers on BA. I have been learning so much about different styles and was excited to try my first gose. The saltiness and sour nature of this beer really challenges my notion of what beer is. Sadly, the sour and salty feel was too off putting for me. Perhaps this style is simply not for me or it will become an acquired taste. For now I can only say "blech!!!" I don't see myself even finishing this one.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Received via trade, crisp, sour, and very refreshing. The saltiness is not as present as I was fearing. The light nature of this beer makes it very easy to drink and the sour/tart nature keeps you from drinking too fast allowing the beer to be savored one drink at a time. Big thanks to AW for sending me a can as an extra in a trade!

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour out of a can into my Founder teku glass...

The beer pours an attactive peachy amber color with pretty good head retention and fair lacing. The nose is intriguing. While there's a noticeable sour brett component, there's a fair amount of tropical fruit as well, and it actually blends quite well with the sour component. The flavor component largely replicates the nose, except the sour flavor dominates a bit more on the palate than it did on nose. Still, along with the sour, there's an interesting apple sauce and light tropical fruit component as well, with a hint of salt on the finish.. Mouthfeel actually fairly full, and the beer delivers an impressive amount of flavor, especially for the abv. Drinkabilithy is quite good, and I appreciate the 4% abv.

Very nice beer. We have a number of NW brewers out here that make excellent gose style beers, but none of them are quite like this. Impressive.

2.33/5  rDev -43.3%

A: [3.00] Pours and forms a 2 finger head. The head is dense and pillowy - but it is gone very fast. It dissipates to nothing. The beer itself is a very cloud orange. It looks like Metamucil. The can has a born on date 09/15/14. It also lists the ABV (4.0%)

S: [2.50] No words come to mind. Maybe cider - sour cider? Not sure I am doing it justice.

T: [2.00] That is crazy. Completely unexpected taste. My first thought is more Salty-Sprite than any kind of beer. The flavors are lemon zest, spice, salt. There is a nice citrus throughout. The saltiness is late. It is so foreign to me I am having trouble describing it.

M: [3.00] Tart on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: [2.25] I am pretty certain that the German word for Zima is Gose. That is what this reminds me of - a Zima. It is a citrus alcoholic beverage. I was very excited to try this when I saw it at the store. I think that this is a one and done for me. I feel bad - I wanted to like it more but I don't.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance is cloudy yellow, very little head - dropped down quickly.

I am NOT a fan of the aroma. I am looking and hoping for coriander but all I am getting is a sour funk up my nostrils.

Taste is better than I expected from initial whiff. Lots of sour lemon with a salty finish. I am also sensing the coriander on the back end.

Only my second ever gose so I rate as a newbie. Better as it warms up and my palette gets used to the tartness that is ever so present.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: clear yellow. fat, fluffy white head.
smell: Citrusy tart. Fairly rich with grain and salt.
taste: Things come together nicely in the taste. tart and sour and salty w/o any of taking over. Surprisingly drinkable.
overall: Not gonna win my heart from the big stouts and barleys but a nice change of pace.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma is lemony, saline, crackery, and slightly funky. Lemon dominates, but there's some musty character. Flavor is extremely acidic. Citric and acetic acid are huge upfront, though lactic surfaces mid palate, and acetic and citric carry into the finish. One of the more sour examples of the style. Salt weaves throughout, but it's countered by lightly bready malt in the finish. A little too acetic. Wish lactic were less overwhelmed.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: pours with two fingers of bubbly head which quickly dissipated to nil. The color is a darker straw yellow that is completely cloudy. Minimal active carbonation.

Smell: Salt and dried fruits on the front. Coriander warms after the front with a light, lingering funk hanging around. Biscuity malts win out on the back end with some well placed tropical fruits popping through. Saltiness carries throughout the aroma.

Taste: An easy wheat front is quickly overtaken by a balanced combination of salt and sour. Waves of funk and salt continue to splash over the palate and are unrelenting. Touches of fruit and straw pick up on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Palate is left dry which really allows wheat, fruit, and funky flavors to shine through. Carbonation is low but fitting.

Overall: Been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Super tasty and levels of complexity that many other Gose do not have. I could crush this all day long.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden straw color with a stark white head that fades fast and leaves little to no lacing. Smell of wheat, grain, funk, lemon, lime, and sea breeze. Flavor opens up with a nice tart lemon and lime bite. Notes of grains from the wheat weave into the mix. Finish brings a tart, spicy and salty finish. Prickly mouthfeel from the carbonation, light body and dry finish is nearly perfect. Overall this is just a great beer that's refreshing and different.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Canned 9/16, poured into a snifter. Gold, yellow, cloudy with one finger of off yellow head. Good retention. Smells of fresh lemon and some tart candy. Mouth feel is fizzy and sharp but exactly what was expected. Taste is salt, sour, lemony goodness with a great balance of tart, salty, sweet and citrus. Dry finish. Yum!

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a cold can into a snifter. The beer pours a bright clear gold color with bleached white head. Kind of looks like champagne, until the end of the pour is mucky and sediment laden with brown chunks.
Aroma is some twangy wheat and bit of tart lime and some husky grain. I also get a bit of sweet spiciness, coriander I think, which was agreeable.
Very carbonated and fizzy! Prickles my lips immediately. Flavor is tart and crisp with lemon and lime and a little wheat twang. I also get just a bit of sweet fruit but that is gone quickly after each sip. Finish is very dry and leaves a lingering tart across my palate. I find this enjoyable but wonder if I would want more than one of these on any given day.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Can: Poured a light yellowish color Gose with a nice pure white foamy head. Aroma of tart notes with light salty notes also discernable. Taste is a mxi between some tart and sour notes with a salty finish and limited coriander notes. Body is light with good carbonation. I had really high expectation considering all the noise this one is making but I thought it was an OK version of the style at the end of the day.

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy and hay colored. Good fluffy head to begins that's gone quickly. Slightly sour aroma, light grain. Tart, lime, clean, with the wheat playing second fiddle to the other components. Medium body and medium to high carbonation. Clean and sour from start to finish.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

A pale yellow color, this beer is very thick and almost dull in appearance. It looks like a lemon soda; it sounds like it too, as what little white head it starts with audibly fizzes away. Very little lingers on the edges, and some vigor does bring it back now and then.
The smell brings lots of juicy tanginess under the wheat, the dryness accentuating the acidic notes. Either lemon or lime bring in the sour, and a soft spiciness speaks to the coriander, which creeps in quietly and shows itself in the periphery.
Tons of flavor comes out on the tongue, the sourness hard but not overwhelming, combining well with the equally strong tartness. It's distinctly lime, here. The coriander, still soft, comes gently into the middle, and the salt is just a sneaky presence underneath to add to the effect this beer has in causing the mouth to water (not figuratively, though that too).
Acidic and dry, the wheat gives it some softness and a dryness to keep it from scraping the tongue too hard. It does meet the claim of being refreshing, as the body does lean light, but it's got that puckering sourness to it as well.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared at a 10K review beer tasting; drank from a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter.

Pours light golden with a short-lived bubbly white head that leaves minimal lacing. The nose is crisp, spicy, green apple, lemon and a wisp of salt. On the palate, tart, lemon and mild salinity, a touch grainy and a nice hint of must (in a good way). It is light and bubbly and would be the perfect summer patio beer.

Fantastic, pours cloudy like juice. Lemony smell and a bit of a tart and salty taste. Low ABV I could drink this all day long. Unfortunately not available in my area, because I would consume a case a week.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A: Pale yellow, opaque, with a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Thick lacing.

S: Wheat, salt, coriander.

T: Tart and salty. Not as sour as I expected. Coriander, lemon and wheat pop in to give it a summer appeal. But the salt overwhelms, pushing everything else to the back seat.

M: Light to medium with medium carbonation.

O: Too salty for my taste. This beer is more of a novelty that should be shared at tastings just to finish off the can.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz can. Pours hazy golden orange with a big fizzy white head that retains fairly well and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is tart lemon, salt and wheat malts.

The flavor is tart and sweet lemon with some salt in the background. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid gose with lots of tart sour lemon and some salt.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So Lurkaholic just gives me this, my #1 want the other day. Well let me tell you, his generosity is only exceeded by his handsomeness. Thanks buddy!! I will have to remember to ask you for more of your awesome beer in the future.

Appearance. Pours a very hazy honey-gold with a thin white head that fades quickly.

Smell. Lemon and other sour citrus juices, some sweet grainy wheat and a little bit briny.

Taste. Nice lime juice sourness, light grainy wheat with just a touch of sweetness, maybe a little musty funk there as well. Nice.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body, medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Very nice, crisp and pleasant, completely crushable. Thanks again Tom!!!

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%

Received as an extra in a trade.

A- Murky golden with a light, white head of about 1 finger that quickly dissipates. True to style here. 4

S- Funk and acidity. Raw and untamed. Hints of lemon and coriander. Some herbal notes mixed in here. Moderate intensity. 4

T/M- Here we go. Salty, sour goodness. Starts sweet, goes sour, finishes crisp and clean, then a healthy does of salt in the aftertaste. Where this thing really impresses me is the feel. More full and creamy than you would expect at 4%. I can really dig it. 4.25

O- Right there with Gose Gone Wild as my favorite in the style. Maybe a slight edge to GGW, but still a really impressive gose here.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Give to me by the ever generous "Huzubendah."

Poured into a Port City glass.

A: Ridiculously cloudy orange, with an Alka-Seltzer-esque quality to it. No head really.
S: Sweet tarts, very mild at that.
T: Totally awesome sour component. Can't believe this doesn't have wild yeast in it.
M: Drying after a mere sip. Great stuff.
O: If someone were to give this to me sight unseen, I'da tagged it as an American Wild.

Gose from Westbrook Brewing Co.