One Claw Rye Pale Ale - Westbrook Brewing Co.

One Claw Rye Pale AleOne Claw Rye Pale Ale

Westbrook Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Alieniloquium on 05-25-2013)
Reviews by BrownNut:
3.96/5  rDev 0%

An instant keeper. Fantastic. Very drinkable. I love a good rye ale but sometimes I feel like there isn't enough of a rye punch. This one brings that lovely rye flavor at a very nice level. And it's got enough bitterness to be interesting but not so much as to be taxing over time.

I'm trying to picture whether I could session four or five pints of this in a sitting or if the flavor would become too much, too pungent. I think it may be close to the line, but I think it would work. In fact it might be just the right balance between flavor intensity and drinkability, at least to my palate. Such nice flavor, Sip after sip. Just great.

This is my third Westbrook beer after White Thai and the Gose and what I have liked about all three is that they are not shy. No shrinking violets here. Come to flavor town. That might be a bit much for meeker drinkers, but I like that Westbrook is not worried about really going for some flavor punch.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a light haze and a moderate effervescence. Head pours a thick finger of frothy ivory foam.

Smell: the glorious aroma wafted to my nose directly the can was opened. Big, fruity notes; citrusy grapefruit and even orange; tropical tangerine and mango; and a bit of resiny pine thrown in for good measure. I can absolutely get behind this.

Taste: piney flavors at first, then developing into grapefruit and tangerine. The rye is kind of hidden under all of the hops, but in general it's an amazing damn beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and a nice creaminess for the style.

Overall: this is absolutely one of the best beers I've had this year. It really checks all the boxes for hop-forward beers that I like. Westbrook, please start distributing in the northwest!!

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.8/5  rDev -4%

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. Pours hazy yellow orange with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is spicy rye malts and tropical fruits with some resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet tropical fruits and spicy rye with some biscuity malt and good bitterness from the resiny hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, interesting mix of tropical fruit, spicy rye and resiny hops.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.24/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can into Goose Island pint glass. Date of review is 7/29/14. Big thanks to thatoneguymike for including it as an extra.

Appearance- Pale orange color with a hazy hue. Dirty white half inch head that slowly reduces and leaves great lacing.

Smell- This weird, but at first I get vanilla ice cream. I do get some type of grain, but I would have no idea it was rye. This is almost void of scent.

Taste- Again, very little going on in this beer. I get very mild hops that leave a pleasant oily residue in my mouth. Pretty boring in the taste department.

Mouthfeel- A bit thinner then I like. Like I said about the hops, it is nice to have those present in this sip.

Overall- Nothing exciting to say the least. Thin, no smell and very little taste. I am glad to have tried it, but I will never seek it out again.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Cloudy light golden hued beer with a half inch head of white foam. Brussels lacing. Intense grapefruit like hop aroma greets my nose. The taste is much more well balanced than the nose implies. While there is a very quick burst of grapefruit like hop flavor but it is quickly backed with a light malt backbone and a bit of gentle spiciness from the rye. The mouth is fairly light, crisp, and dry. I've really been impressed with my limited exposure to this brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great looking artwork on the can, I love their esthetics and website everything looks great, but what’s even better than the package as their beers are really well made and thought out. Looks to be beautifully hazed golden apricot , chunks of lacing stuck to the sides of my chalice great bubbly white head.

Aroma packed full of hops, earthy notes, citrus rind, spicy rye comes in blended together very nicely. A touch of biscuit malt base, and tropical fruits peaks through as well, delicate well made beer in a can.

Flavor expressive malt layers, somebody is bringing out some complexity in the rye and malt profile. Wonderfully vibrant with lively earthiness, citrus notes, and tropical fruit lingering amongst well executed hop profile which interplays so well with the malts and rye in this fantastic beer. I noticed something else there’s some yeast sediment in the bottom of the glass, there’s definite yeast/spice notes coming through the rye and hops combo as well such a unique and complex offering.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied never cloying incredibly cohesive mix of everything lingering hops and rye notes just make you want another sip, a true staple for those living closer to their distribution network I’m sure. Carbonation is a bit mellow but works perfectly absolutely no complaints here canned in mid June 6/23/14 can is in it’s prime this was purchased by a local beer guy vacationing in Myrtle Beach at the Piggly Wiggly at Market Commons an excellent store I’ve had the pleasure of shopping in before.

Overall, expressive flavors lively soul filled canned beer, their brewer has impressed with two beers plus anything I’ve had from Evil Twin has been pretty stellar which speaks volumes to the validity of Westbrook as one of the major up and coming brewers along the East Coast and across the country for that matter.

One Claw Rye Pale Ale from Westbrook Brewing Co.