Windy City Wheat - Chicago Beer Company

Windy City WheatWindy City Wheat

Chicago Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Today's forecast...Windy! A Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with honey and spices.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-07-2010)
4.65/5  rDev +44.4%

Picked up a 6pk at Binny's and I am a big fan of this new Belgian White. I met the owner at a tasting event and he has a lot of passion for the beer - it's 2 brothers running the show - one is a brewmaster and one is the sales team. Althought they are contract brewed in Wisconsin they are both local guys who grew up in St. Charles.

Aroma: Moderate sweetness (light notes of honey) with light, grainy, spicy wheat aromatics. Notes of coriander. Fruity, floral and sweet aroma

Appearance: Very pale straw. Cloudy. Dense, white head with good retention

Flavor: Pleasant sweetness (with a honey character) and a zesty, orange-citrusy fruitiness. Refreshingly crisp with a dry, tart, finish. Has a low wheat flavor. Hop bitterness is low

Looking forward to their next brew - Pier Pale Ale

BetterBeerBeth, May 02, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this Belgian Wheat on tap and it was Delicious. What a great alternative to Blue Moon. I really feel this is a relaxing sessionable beer. I would suggest this to anyone that is looking to have a mellow relaxing Belgian Wheat. Great unfiltered look, with a slight orange hint, great head, and smooth mellow taste. Overall I am going to purchase for the house.

SCOTT1974, Sep 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +32%

HefeRules, May 14, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance: Very lemony and cloudy white look. Head goes flat quick due to acid I guess.

Smell: Lemons, bananas, cloves, and bubblegum. Pretty standard...and good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Same as smell. Mouthfeel is pretty yeasty and refreshing.

Drinkability: A great witbier, and a summer one at that.

Overall: See drinkability.

tjsdomer2, Jul 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer can be compared to many, but the more I drank the better they got! Being from Kansas City, of course I thought of a Boulevard or two that i had smelled recently. Although the aroma and taste were two very nice parts of the experience up front, I loved how it made me want more! I look forward to being able to buy this beer here in KC soon. Bring it Chicago Beer Company!

Jcmoney, Feb 09, 2011

I think much of what has been said is fairly accurate. The color is quite nice and the smell is much like a typical wit beer. The flavor is quite nice, and the finish is very smooth. The packaging and brew immediately and quite obviously make you think of goose island's 312. In comparison, I would much prefer windy city wheat over 312. I picked up a six-pack at a local binny's and have rather enjoyed it during a football sunday. It should be really good come spring time.

bnimrick, Dec 13, 2010

JJFordick, Sep 15, 2012

Benvarine, Dec 25, 2013

ScrimshawFan, Nov 30, 2011

Nofear048, Dec 19, 2011

Found this bottle in local liquor store.

I never knew this brewery existed! Color was almost clearish yellow with generous white head. Not as cloudy as I would have liked, but still nice to look at. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Smell and taste was wheaty as you would expect.

Overall it's definitely not the best example of this style, and way better beers can be had. Low abv, easy to drink. I could see why many people don't like this one, but to me it's "good", not great. I'd buy it again.

Northsider, Aug 16, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +17.4%

I was served this beer in a pint glass poured out of the bottle. At first it looked and smelled like a KC's Boulevard Wheat. Once I had a taste, I was shocked at how smooth it was and how much it reminded me of Boulevard's wheat beer. The slightest hint of honey really set the beer apart from its competition. I ended up drinking a 6 pack and enjoyed every moment of it. I look forward to seeing this beer at my local liquor store in Kansas City.

Sherpdog, Dec 25, 2010

HoneyLamb, Aug 10, 2013

krome, Nov 27, 2013

-ronin-, Mar 28, 2014

homerman9, Jul 06, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +14.3%

Served in a wine glass

Had this beer at a tasting and talked with one of the owner's and he seemed like a really cool guy and I look to them putting out more styles. He said they are working on a milk stout for March release so we'll see how that goes.

This beer however looks like a light golden color with frothy white head. The aroma is pretty good as well. I pick up notes of coriander, lemon, and bubblegum. Along with fresh floral notes that all work quite well together on the nose. The taste, in my opinion, is overspiced but still enjoyable. There is lots of clove in the taste along with corriander and a bit of lemon grass. It's not too bad for a witbier, but this beer is more of a catch all wheat style. It's almost Belgian without actually being. It still drinks and feels good, so I wouldn't mind actually having it again.

Vdubb86, Dec 09, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Served in a wine glass.

I'm with Mike on this one: The brewer is quite the character. His beer (batch #2, no less) pours a minorly hazy straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and corn. The taste holds notes of Belgian yeast, coriander, clove, flowers, and lemon zest. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, a nice little wit, nothing amazing, but something I could see drinking plenty of if given the chance.

TMoney2591, Dec 09, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Clear yellow with a two finger white pillow with OK lasting power but no lacing (3.75)

Aroma: Medium light fruity belgian esters with a hint of smoke. (3.6)

Flavor: Medium grainy malt bill, yeast presence is light, orange peel/corriander/honey character are all faint at best (3.6)

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation refreshing (3.75)

Overall: 3.65

Zach136, Sep 17, 2014